Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I will be sure to alert the thread when we venture into unexplored territory. We're not there yet, but we're getting close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Definitely looking forward to meeting the Cardcaptor Sakura-looking witch in the opening video!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

Welcome to the second best episode!
Definitely the best of the question arcs in my opinion.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Definitely the best of the question arcs in my opinion.

yup

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
So, if belief is the basis of magic...

Does that mean that Battler's strong belief that magic is not necessary to explain the crimes on Rokkenjima is eventually going to result in him performing magic on accident as the series goes on? Is Battler going to end the series as an extremely powerful witch (although I guess it'd be wizard in Battler's case), entirely because of how stubborn he is about magic?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Or maybe the opposite; he becomes a barrier against magic, where magic cannot exist around him.

But maybe that, too, is magic.

Also: man, I forgot about Beato the Silver. I wonder how many Beatrices there're have been...

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

oath2order posted:

So, who are Bernkastel and Lambdadelta? Or more specifically, who are they in terms of call backs to Higurashi?

(higurashi post)

Of course, that's just one way of looking at things. A valid way, but not the whole of existence.

Because magic and timeloops and all that crazy poo poo aren't real, you see. :colbert:

Edit:

resurgam40 posted:

vvv Ah, but we've already heard from Lady Bernestakle's story that one thousand years might not be one thousand years as we measure time; time is weird as witches reckon it, because it could be a repeated time frame, or just through existing in a dimension outside of time. Honestly, the way some of these witches have talked about times passage or lack thereof, I don't think even they know how old they actually are and just throw out the "thousand year old" thing because it sounds imposing.

It's actually pretty common in China and Japan to just use numbers for formality's sake, or for a good-sounding title. See the Man'yoshu, or the Ten Thousand Leaves [of paper], a collection of poetry that has about 5,000 poems in it. Or the classic "48 Positions," which started with somewhat less than 48 of them. Ancient Greece did this too, using 10,000 as "just kind of a whole lot, y'know?"

It could easily be her using the title The Thousand-Year Witch and just meaning "Hey, I've been around for a while."

John Lee fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 29, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

forgot to start a new post when I was done with the quote ,friggin' hell I'm doing this more and more, I AM INCOMPETENT

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

John Lee posted:

forgot to start a new post when I was done with the quote ,friggin' hell I'm doing this more and more, I AM INCOMPETENT

Say it in red!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Sea

"Sorry. She's been pretty grumpy since last night. Please don't hold it against her."

Rudolf and Hideyoshi went out onto the deck and took out some cigarettes. Eva had always hated the smell of cigarettes, but when she was in a bad mood, she got even more sensitive to them. When they decided to smoke casually until they reached the island, the two of them had gotten yelled at and chased out onto the deck.

Hideyoshi tried to use his lighter, but the strong winds gave him some trouble. Rudolf took out a Zippo with a smooth gesture and let Hideyoshi borrow the flame.

"When did you start smoking cigarettes, Hideyoshi nii-san?"
"Just after the war. In the beginnin', I was rollin' 'em. Then I started usin' what I sold. Wahahahahahahaha."
"So you were already smoking when you met Aneki. Bet she's always telling you to stop."
"I never listened to her, so she's already completely given up on that. Wahaha, men gotta be stubborn, times like these."

Hideyoshi laughed heartily, but Rudolf snickered. After being scolded by Eva, they'd escaped to the deck together with their tails between their legs. There was little doubt who had gotten her way in that exchange.

"...She isn't usually so short-tempered. In fact, she's usually a more gentle, quiet woman. Every year, she changes when this day comes."
"Is that so? To me, she looks just like the Aneki we've all known so long."
"...That's just it. She's back to bein' Eva of the Ushiromiya family. But that ain't the Eva I know."
"...Well, I know why she's grumpy. This family conference is gonna be a pain."
"...Got that right. There's that plan to threaten money out of Krauss nii-san... We may call it a family conference, but it's gonna be just a sibling fight at this rate."

BGM: Sukashiyuri

They were all facing urgent situations and needed a lot of money fast. And the only one they could turn to was Krauss, who spoke for the Ushiromiya Head now that Kinzo spent his time shut up in his study. For a long time now, they'd vaguely sensed that Krauss was taking advantage of the fact that Kinzo had lost interest in his own wealth, and they suspected that he'd started embezzling that wealth to suit his own purposes. Despite being disgusted by this, they'd turned a blind eye to it while everything was still going smoothly for them... but now that they needed money, they really couldn't afford to let it slide.

Eva had asked Rudolf and Rosa to form an alliance, and they were now scheming to take that money away from Krauss.

"...Rudolf-kun, both you and I are company presidents. We're responsible for the livelihood of our employees."
"Rosa's a president too. Well, as a hobby."
"That's right, sorry. Basically, we've all got responsibilities."
"...Now that I've thrown down the gauntlet in front of the executive board, I've gotta bring in the money, even if it means getting down on my knees or drinking mud."
"Same here. I can't betray the employees who've trusted me and followed me for so long. That's why I need to get some money out of Krauss nii-san, even if I have to grab him by the neck."
"Aneki and Aniki have always been at each other's throats. And now she's gotta challenge Aniki head on. It's no wonder she's on edge."
"So, Eva really has had a bad relationship with Krauss nii-san since long ago...?"
"Hasn't she talked about it? They were always at each other's throats."
"She never talks about the past, even if I ask. She probably doesn't want to remember."

"...That fool... Why drive him into a corner so openly? I'd hardly call that shrewd."
"Hahaha, no kidding. Aneki... regretted being born a woman. So, she probably couldn't forgive Aniki, since he was chosen to succeed the Head just because he was a man. She'd always boast to Dad, letting him see that she was better at every little thing."
"Father really is an old-fashioned person. Gender discrimination was part of his system of values. I'll bet Eva's eagerness to prove herself made him dislike her a bit..."
"..."

BGM: Steady Pace

...Since you can still drink black tea without sugar, he was in effect saying that there was no need for women to study. Those infuriating words were what Nii-san hurled at me in my despair, when I asked to go to college only to be denied by Father. I protested that I needed to build up proper dignity and an education as the oldest daughter in the Ushiromiya family, making college an essential next step. But when it came down to it, Father's and Nii-san's answers were exactly the same.

'How conceited for a woman.'

I've never taken the Ushiromiya name lightly, not once since I was born into it. And I've been even more careful not to take my father's name, Ushiromiya Kinzo, lightly. Our family is an old one, with many traditions, but it lost its wealth and businesses in the Great Kanto Earthquake, pushing it to the brink at one point. That was when Father took control with his ingenious talent, reviving it to be even greater than it had been before. Not once did I forget that I was the daughter of that great Ushiromiya Kinzo. That's why I always made every effort to become worthy of that name.

I needed dignity worthy of the Ushiromiya family. Schooling. Manners. And leadership. Even if I couldn't quite reach Father's level, I deepened my knowledge in economics and finance, trying to improve myself so I could be of use to him at any time.

To Father, a woman was only meant to support a man, and nothing further than that was permissable. When was it that I came to understand that? It may have been as early as my childhood years. But, I was going to have to wait until I grew up before I could truly accept it.

Compared to me, you couldn't have said that Krauss, my older brother of two years, worked hard at all to become deserving of the Ushiromiya family name. He told me many times since my early childhood that he would naturally succeed Father, simply because he was born a man. He kept on repeating that, as though it formed an uncrossable gap between us. I couldn't stand it. Even though I always got better grades than Nii-san, even though I became class president when he never managed more than vice-president... even so, Nii-san was considered to be the appropriate successor to the Ushiromiya family just because he was a man.

Of course, you could find gender discrimination everywhere in those days. No, it was even considered a virtue in that era. During that despicable time, people said that when a woman is born, she obeys her parents, when she gets married, she obeys her husband, and when she gets old, she obeys her children. But that was exactly why I wanted to turn that on its head.

Innocently, I kept trying to prove that I was the most fit. However, I eventually realized that all of my efforts had been doomed from the beginning.

"Wouldn't you say schooling for women is like sugar in black tea? The taste is dull and flat without it, but too much ruins the whole thing."

"Just as there are roles that only men can fill, there are also roles that can only be filled by women, correct? I do believe giving birth to children, raising them, and supporting the master of the house are roles that can only be filled by women."
"Are you trying to say there's no need for a woman to work or study?"
"I wouldn't go that far. Talking to an unschooled woman is tiring and nothing more. However, women are even more tiring when they're too smart. I do believe that a woman as violently assertive as you would bring no end of hardship to her future husband."
"Are you trying to say that a woman has to marry and hide in the shadow of her husband? That's none of your business!"
"Though you're my younger sister, I can look up to you for the respect you hold for Father and your desire to become a daughter worthy of him. Even I am capable of feeling respect for such noble sentiments."
"That's just disgusting. What's this about 'noble sentiments'? I'd call that flowery prose, coming from you. Are you pretending to be the Head already?"
"The decision that I should succeed the Headship has been established from the very beginning. And yet, you seem to be laboring under the illusion that you might become the Head, hence the useless and reckless efforts you've expended thus far."
"Reckless efforts...?! Is it really that bizarre for me to say I want to go to college?!"
"Yes, it is bizarre. You undoubtably are the oldest daughter of the glorious Ushiromiya family. One day, you will support that family crest by being wed to the partner most valuable for Father. However, excessive learning is not what's being asked of you. What you need are gentle feelings that will allow you to care for your husband, the ability to handle housework, and a humble demeanor that will reflect well on the master of your household. These are all skills you lack utterly. In the end, can you really call yourself a suitable daughter of the Ushiromiya Family?"
"I have no intention of being some secluded lady! I just want to become the person most capable of assisting Father at his work!"
"Then shouldn't you do so in a manner befitting an Ushiromiya Family daughter...? What is it with you? You're still mannish even at your age, and you've never learned how to wear makeup in a way that will please men, much less how to cook and do housework. I hear you've even been learning how to brawl."
"Th-That's rude!! The martial arts aren't brawling, they're a perfect way to train and discipline the mind. And when it's needed, I take more than enough care to act as a woman should!! What are you trying to say? That women should be slaves who work for men, so I mustn't be so forward?!"
"It isn't elegant to say it out loud, but I think a few unpleasant words are necessary in order to correct your mistake. So let me say it plainly. Women exist to serve men. And men exist to provide for women. A woman's job is to protect a man's back, to protect his house and raise his children. Most women realize this without being told. They realize it on their own. But even after all these years, you still haven't realized that about yourself. So I've decided to clear away that misunderstanding for you before you leave this family. You ought to thank me."
"Th-This is an insult to all women...!! No, wait, ...I-I have never thought of myself as a woman, and I've never depended on anyone because I'm a woman!! How am I inferior to you, Nii-san?! In grades and accomplishments...in everything...I'm better, so how can you look down on me when you have nothing I lack, except the fact that you're a man?!!"
"It's about knowing one's place. Every day, I have been raised with the readiness of one who will be Head. In the future, that preparation will surely become essential. But you are different. Even though you will marry and lose the Ushiromiya family name, you're being trapped by this unnecessary illusion. What's so unsatisfying? Even if you had been born a man, the successor to the Headship still probably wouldn't have been you. Why are you so unsatisfied that you insist on attacking me even now?"
"What's so unsatisfying, you say?!?! Nii-san, you're always, always... always, always like that...! Looking down on me because you'll succeed the Head... even though... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!"

I've got a billion of them. Grudges, hard feelings, humiliations that I'll never forget kept floating through the back of my mind. They all built up at the same time, coming out of my throat as a shameful moan.

BGM: Rose

"Father."
"Father!"

He'd probably overheard our sibling fight. Father entered with a clearly unhappy face.

"Krauss, are you fighting with your siblings again? Why don't you have the dignity to act as a leader for your brother and sisters? How shameful! I'm embarrassed to hear this from my eldest son!"

In a flash, he struck Krauss's face. I readied myself to be struck in the same way, but I wasn't hit.

"...M-My apologies, Father."
"Dignity isn't the only thing you lack. There's much more. You're immature in everything! And even so, you pretend like you're an adult! Realize that it's a hundred years too early for you to talk like that, and devote yourself to your studies! Don't make me lament my son's incompetence any more...!"
"Yes. I will continue to strive so that I can become a person worthy of succeeding you, Father..."

It was as if those words were directed at me. Even when he was being yelled at by Father, he was still bragging to me about how he was special, about how he was the successor. I just couldn't stand it... and finally spoke what was on my mind. Even though I realized that it would be improper for a member of the Ushiromiya family to do such a thing.

"Father...!! Please, tell me how I'm inferior to him!! I've tried so hard, studied so hard to become a person who won't bring shame to your name...! Please, tell me how I'm inferior...! How can I improve myself enough to earn your acknowledgement...?!!"

"What good are you as a woman?! Don't you realize that you're a daughter of the Ushiromiya family?!! And yet, you only want to learn things so that you can act like a man! Your duty is not to imitate Krauss!! Don't you even understand your own duty?!!"
"A-As a member the Ushiromiya family, I won't bring shame to your na-"
"That's it, that's where you're already wrong!! Your duty is to marry out of the family and bring me a man who is profitable to me! And then, you will devote yourself to your husband, give birth to children and multiply! Be a good wife who brings praise to your husband's family!! Just what is it that you can do to please a man? Do you think you can make tea? Do you have any talent in cooking? You have nothing!! All you've done is to try and mimic Krauss, haven't you?!! Krauss will succeed the Ushiromiya family! If you are unsatisfied with that, then you are disobeying me!!"

"...Yes. Immediately."
"Eva, leave this place. He doesn't mean what he says. I will calm him down."
"*cough*, *cough*cough*!! Disinherited... If you won't listen to me, you're disinherited!! *cough*cough*, uugghh, *cough*cough*!!"

Father was coughing pretty badly, and Nii-san patted his back. As if it was a duty that was naturally his. It was so vexing for me to let him take that duty all for himself right then. If I carelessly approached Father at that moment, then I would probably be the one to get hit next.

...However, I fearlessly tried to approach Father's back. Genji blocked me...

"...Eva-sama, perhaps it would be better if you stepped outside for now. The Master is not in a good mood today."
"B-But..."
"*cough*cough*!! Why are my children so incompetent?! Krauss is lacking in dignity, Eva is always a stubborn tomboy!! I have no son who's like a man, and not even a daughter who's like a woman! Where did I go wrong raising them?! Why Genji, when and where did I go wrong?!!"
"...Master, you haven't done anything wrong. Krauss-sama has grown into a sturdy son, and Eva-sama into a lovely daughter. You haven't made any mistakes..."
"How can you say that?!! What's so lovely about her?!! Far from a lady, she's always acting like a man!! *cough*cough*cough*!! Disinherited, disinheriteeed!! *cough*cough*!!"
"Father, that's just what I'm always telling Eva. Eva has promised that she will have a change of heart and act like a lady. Couldn't you postpone that decision for just a little longer?"
"Who's a lady?!! *cough*cough*!! Disinherited, disinherited, *cough*cough, uu-, *cough*cough*!"

Go quickly and leave this to me. Krauss gave me a look telling me that...

True, I never studied how to be a lady. Everything I've learned was done in the hopes that I could help Father someday. But... is that really true? Haven't I always been trying to compete with Nii-san, with whom I've had a bad relationship since I was a young girl, because I wanted steal his position as successor and show him a thing or two?

Every chance he gets, Nii-san tells me that men should be manly and women should be womanly. I've been tormented by this unfair discrimination just because of my gender, something people are born with and can't do anything about. I resisted, endeavoring to this very day to study and prove that I'm not inferior, despite being a woman. But doesn't that mean my love of learning comes entirely from a stupid complex I've got against Nii-san? Father wanted me to become a lady with whom he could go out in public and not be embarrassed. Did I betray his hopes, earning good grades and threating Nii-san just to satisfy a childhood resentment...?

BGM: Haruka

"...You..."

The one whispering to me... was the 'me' of my years as a young girl, born inside my heart on the day I made that oath.

That's right. 'She' was my only ally. When things got difficult, when I felt like I was about to get crushed by it all, she would always quietly appear and support me. When I ran into roadblocks and despaired, she would always appear and support me. When I grew up and the memories of my childhood years faded, I also started to forget my conversations with 'her'...

"...That's right, we promised. On that day, I promised that I would become the successor to the Ushiromiya Headship."

On that day, when I had been overcome with sadness, wondering why I was even alive, you appeared from inside me and lent me your strength.

"...Father didn't accept me. I wanted to teach Nii-san a lesson. I believed that doing this...would let me say goodbye to the wretched creature I once was."

For a time, I truly believed that my life had no purpose other than to be looked down upon by Nii-san. It's painful just remembering those days. They're a wound, a crack inside my heart... 'She' taught me how to sew up that wound...

I turned my anger into effort and improved myself, trying to become a person more worthy of the Headship than Krauss was, trying to triumph over him by making Father accept me. It was my perfect revenge. I was vaguely aware that a woman couldn't possibly become the Family Head. But I thought that maybe, if I could prove myself valuable enough to overturn that premise, then surely even Father would select me to be his successor. If that happened, then I'd be able to have the greatest and most perfect revenge against Nii-san, who always acted like his succession to the Headship was completely inevitable...

"And now you're saying you're gonna break that promise? Scum. Coward. Why not just give up and die forever...?"

Even though she looked like me as a kid, she was still another me. Her tongue was sharp because it was mine.

"...It makes me pretty mad hearing that, even from myself. You have no right to speak of me like that."
"Then let's use that anger to fuel our learning. Changing anger into power is my magic. I've saved you from a bunch of tight spots with that power, letting you to succeed when you shouldn't have. As long as you have my magic, there's nothing you can't do."
"...That's right. Anger has always been my driving force. I wonder when it was I forgot that..."

"Let's go to college, study more and more, get excellent grades, and drive Krauss into a corner."
"That guy acts like we're nothing, but I'm sure he feels pretty well cornered in the inside. If only he'd just learn his place and die. If he did, we could become the Head. Rudolf won't take the job. That kid can't go against us."
"...Stop that. No matter how much more I study, Father still won't accept me."
"Why not...?"
"Father told me to be womanly... Because I'm a woman, no matter how hard I tried, Father wouldn't have passed the Headship on to me, even if I had been born before Nii-san... No matter how much effort I put in, ...I can't become anything more than a woman. I won't be acknowledged. Nii-san doesn't try at all, but I can't surpass him. He'll look down on me forever..."
"...Father and Krauss are the worst kind of male supremacists. If only they'd just die."

Words that I couldn't say so easily... she said for me. Even though I understand that she's just another part of myself inside of me, I feel like she's the only ally I have who can sympathize with me.

However, while sympathy might do a lot to calm my heart, it won't do anything to improve my current situation. In the end, she can only console me for however long it takes me to be dejected by reality... before I finally accept it.

"You can't do that."
"..."

'She' rejected my timid thoughts. I understand. Because 'she' is me, I understand.

"All Father said was that he won't let a woman succeed the Headship 'now'. But even that's just a rule Father made up. Since he made it, he can get rid of it."
"...Human feelings can change far more often than the number of sand grains on a beach. Krauss is such a stupid man that Father's eventually gonna realize it, even if we don't prove it for him. When that happens, the wall that separates man from woman will be demolished by Father himself, who set it up in the first place. That day will surely come."
"...How can you be so sure?"
"Because that's my magic."
"..."
"If you just believe, this magic will surely summon a miracle. The basis of my magic is nothing more than your believing heart."
"..."

If I use this magic, then surely, I'll never have to doubt until the day I die...that I'll eventually become the Head. But I don't know if that's the right thing for Ushiromiya Eva... Maybe I should aim to become the kind of lady Father wants, someone who can proudly participate in high society. And if I'm reborn, maybe Father will change his opinion of me. Maybe I can find my own lifestyle, just as Nii-san has found his. And anyway, I just can't imagine my stubborn father choosing a woman like me as the Head, especially if it means skipping over Krauss.

"U-Um, I was just thinking. Maybe I can't succeed the Headship, but as a woman, I can have a child. And Nii-san still isn't engaged. If Nii-san isn't able to father a child, and I gave birth to one, then wouldn't that make my child the next Head after Nii-san? In other words, wouldn't that mean the same thing as stealing the Headship from Nii-san...?"
"...Are you serious?"
"...Y-Yes, I'm serious. True, it'll be very sad to abandon the resolve I've had since childhood. It pains my heart to betray you, my younger self. But this is my most realistic option...!"

"I'm not throwing anything away. I'm an adult, and the day has come for me to part ways with you."
"That's right. Eva's already become an adult. She's even forgotten how to use magic, and now she's the mother of a single child. She forgot all about how magic can grant one's own dreams, and now she's forcing those dreams onto her son."
"...Even though Father and Krauss ruined your life, you're trying to push your dreams onto your son, ruining his life. Is that what you call being an adult?"
"G-George is a son I'm proud of, one who won't embarrass himself no matter where he goes...! The dream I wasn't granted might come true for George...! Jessica's a delinquent in both her grades and her behavior. And she's a woman! If only Jessica would step down, George would become the heir...!"

Even saying it was painful. Am I just forcing my own regrets onto George? It's not like I have any right to look on Jessica with scorn. Wasn't I just horrible for hitting her with the same words that had caused me so much suffering...?

...I understand. I understand... The desire to triumph over my brother is part of my own personal revenge. I can't use George for that...

"...So I'll take revenge myself. I have a plan to cheat Nii-san out of some of his money, with Rudolf and Rosa as my allies. I'll surely be able to get back at him. In any case, I'm sure that Nii-san is embezzling Father's assets..."
"...What a boring plan. Why don't you just give up on that and cry yourself to sleep forever...?"
"..."

"...If I believe, I wonder if any power will dwell in that magic."
"It will. My magic can grant any wish with certainty."
"...I'll believe. I'll believe, so create a miracle with that magic... If you don't, the hole in my heart will never heal..."
"Okay. Then listen well. Listen to my magic words... And understand. If we can solve the riddle, we can become the Ushiromiya Family Head. So lend me your ears and listen carefully..."

When Kyrie shook her shoulders, Eva jumped and awoke from her doze.

"...! Ah, I'm sorry. I was half asleep."
"Sorry to scare you."
"Aunt Eva, you were out cold. Did you get up early this morning?"
"...Maybe. I let you all see something embarassing. I'm sorry."
"Well, I'd say it's pretty impressive you were relaxed enough to sleep. Battler kept yelling 'We're gonna faaall, we're gonna drooown!' Can't get bored with this guy around."
"Sh-Shut up! All humans have at least one thing they're weak against...!"

Battler and Jessica came in, messing around. Rudolf also made a face as if asking, 'Are you okay?'

"Get ahold of yourself. When you see Dad and the rest, all that sleepiness'll go right out the window. Let's all give it our best, okay?"
"...That's right. We have to keep it together, especially this year..."
"That's it. Let's all tighten our assholes and go."

Rudolf said these strict words in a small voice that only Eva could hear. Failure would not be tolerated in this year's family conference. All of their companies were hanging in the balance. Even Rudolf's face looked a little tense. Eva's expression probably looked tense as well.

"Mom, I have our luggage. Let's go up onto the deck."
"...Thank you. You really are considerate, George."
"Why are you thanking me so suddenly? It's not like you, Mother."
"Evaaa, Geooorge. We're there. Grab our luggage."
"Uu-! We're there, we're there! *giggle*!"
"Hey, Maria! Stop running or you'll trip!"

It seemed Maria was already getting excited. She ran circles around Hideyoshi, escaping from Rosa, who was trying to catch her.

"What is it, Mother? Do you feel sick...?"
"George, take our luggage and go on ahead. Your mother's probably feeling anemic, so I'll lend her a hand."
"Really...? Okay, I'll head out first."

Something odd in Eva's expression told Hideyoshi that it hadn't been a pleasant awakening, so he made George go on ahead. Rudolf's family and Rosa's family also went up onto the deck, leaving only Eva and Hideyoshi inside the boat. Eva had a vague expression on her face, as though she still hadn't been able to escape from her daydream.

"..."
"...What's wrong? Why the meek face?"

BGM: Fortitude

"That isn't true. George is our wonderful son, and he'll always perform admirably wherever he goes. Eva, even if you let your own hopes get in the way a bit, everythin' turned out okay in the end, hasn't it?! You haven't done anythin' wrong. In fact, George is grateful for the strict discipline you gave him, right?"
"...Really? Hey, really?! George doesn't think I'm a terrible mother, does he...?! Does he, does he, does he?!"
"He's never said anythin' like that, not even once. You're just worryin' too much."
"Hideyoshi-sama, everyone has left the boat... Oh, did you lose something? Do you need a hand?"

Kumasawa had come to check on them when they hadn't gone up to the deck. Hideyoshi hid Eva behind his back so that her expression wouldn't be seen.

"Yeah, sorry. My necktie pin just got a bit crooked! We're fine, and we'll be out in a sec. Wait outside for us!"
"Is that so? Hohohoh. Then I will wait outside..."

Even though she didn't really understand, Kumasawa realized that something had come up...and disappeared so that she didn't trouble them further. If they stayed here any longer, they would probably make everyone else worry too.

"...It's about time to go. We'll make George and the rest worry."
"...George... really doesn't despise me...?"
"Yeah. Nothin' of the sort. In fact, he's very grateful."
"..."
"...Did you have a nightmare? Again?"
"...Yes."

And they always grew more marked on the days leading up to the family conference...

Hideyoshi knew that Eva's relationship with Krauss was still full of antagonism to the point of being traumatic... and that she still couldn't let go of the feelings she'd had as a child.

"That was a dream. I'm with you now. If I grasp your hand like this, that dream'll go away. Right? Look. I'm holdin' tight."
"...*giggle* That hurts... Thank you. I'm fine now... Let's get off the boat."
"Yeah. Let's get off the boat. Everyone's waitin' for us."
"...Umm, ...I'm sorry."
"Hmm?"
"...I'm sorry... that I yelled at you... about the smoke from your cigarettes just now..."
"Come on, you normally wouldn't apologize for that sort of thing. You're all frail after havin' that dream. Don't worry 'bout it. I was wrong for not realizin' that the smoke was affectin' you."
"...Have you... started to hate me...?"
"No way, no way. Wahahahahahaha. If I hated you after somethin' like that, we wouldn't have lasted three days. Come on, stand up, stand up. Let's get off the boat."

This time, it was Gohda. It looked like they'd kept everyone waiting too long after all. Even Eva had to stand up without grumbling now. She had to stop forcing her bad mood onto her husband and causing him any more trouble. Because that wasn't someting a 'good wife' would do.

"Is everything okay? If it's a matter concerning your health, shall I call Doctor Nanjo?"
"Thanks, but I'm just feeling a little anemic. I'm fine now."
"Just her hormones. Don't worry about it. Wahhahahahahaha."
"Come on... Don't say stuff like that in front of people, it's embarrassing."
"Oooh, sorry, sorry."

Eva elbowed Hideyoshi in the gut. By that time, her normal expression had returned, which allowed Hideyoshi to relax a little.

A small plank for getting off the boat was lowered, and Gohda was waiting there, smiling and ready to lend them a hand.

"Please, Eva-sama. Your hand."
"Thank you."
"Welcome to Rokkenjima."

BGM: White Shadow

"...Huh?"

When she left the boat, it seemed to Eva as though she'd heard the voice of her young self. No, it hadn't seemed that way... Someone 'had told' her "Welcome back".

After becoming a shameless adult, the voice of her young self was distant.

Hideyoshi heard her talking to herself. When Hideyoshi held on tightly to Eva's shoulders, his firmness alone told her that there was no need to say any more...

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The initial profile list for EP3 is up.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, now! Revelation upon revelation... It looks like Eva's in the hotseat for this chapter, and will presumably survive the first and second twilight, but she did survive the first twilight the first go round.

This certainly explains some things: apparently her sawed-off mouth is mostly the result of a lot of things: her jealousy of Krauss for getting to be heir even though she worked her rear end off, the recognition that her father would pretty much never accept her, and that she capitulated to expectations and hates herself for it. Natsuhi is Krauss' wife, and reminds her of everything she can't be and has no desire to be, which is why she comes down on her so hard, and Shannon is a possible threat to her succeeding vicariously through George, which explains that horribleness... this doesn't excuse those actions, but at least she is regretting that latter bit, and wondering if she's hurt George by projecting her failures onto him. And what are we to make of her "younger self" appearing to her and being interested in the riddle? I'd say it was a disguise of Beatrice, but she seems too vain to ever disguise herself completely; I think it is genuinely her... and apparently she was interested in the Epitaph too? She never seemed to be before; did she genuinely forget, or is she suppressing it somehow?

e: Oh! Something else that makes sense now is why Eva was so unwilling to disbelieve Natsuhi's and accuse her of murder in the first episode: because that doesn't gel at all with her own memories of Dear Old Dad, and she doesn't believe (or care to consider) that the same man who threatened to disown her for not being ladylike would say nice things about any woman- especially Krauss' little wifey who represents everything Eva could never be and despises. Layers upon layers!

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 29, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
On this island where everyone deserves to die, I'm starting to feel bad for their upbringings... gently caress Kinzo.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

On this island where everyone deserves to die, I'm starting to feel bad for their upbringings... gently caress Kinzo.

Well even considering that Beatrice may or may not be the one killing everyone it's still at the fault of someone else... gently caress Kinzo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If it turns out Kinzo has a traumatic backstory it's going to have to be pretty darn convincing.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

resurgam40 posted:

This certainly explains some things: apparently (Eva's) sawed-off mouth is mostly the result of a lot of things: a good post snipped for brevity

Please never stop posting to this thread. :allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Sindai posted:

If it turns out Kinzo has a traumatic backstory it's going to have to be pretty darn convincing.

I think we've already heard some of it. He was a no one who never really expected to have anything significant, and then suddenly his whole extended family died and he inherited all their stuff. Then things went terribly until a witch gave him a bajillion dollars and also presumably sex.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Are the first four episodes seriously going to have the four different mothers surviving until the end because that sounds amazing

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I sincerely have no idea how this one escaped my memory for so long, but drat, Fortitude is a good song. Is that new for Episode 3, or has it been featured before?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

oath2order posted:

I sincerely have no idea how this one escaped my memory for so long, but drat, Fortitude is a good song. Is that new for Episode 3, or has it been featured before?

It first plays in Episode 1, during the scene between Rosa and Maria in the rose garden.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So for some reason I heard "Everything Stays" when last millennium's Beatrice started singing.

Anyhow.

Candy must be pretty convenient for a witch to practice on. Its destiny is always to get all crunched up and dissolved, and with the right audience you don't even have to hold it for a minute.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

October 4th, 2:00 PM

BGM: Doorway of Summer

"I agree. Especially because we were so young, we've grown a lot in these six years. If I hadn't been introduced, I might not even have remembered you."
"Really? I figured he was Battler right away. And when he opened his mouth, I was sure."
"Uu-. I just met him for the first time. Didn't know him six years ago."
"That's right. Maria-sama was only three years old then."
"Well, the same goes for me. I only knew Maria when she was three years old, and since she's grown so big, of course I wouldn't recognize her."

After lunch, we had all gone out to the beach to walk around, talk, and take it easy. Our parents were apparently having a suspicious, complicated discussion, so we ended up leaving them behind. Well, just as I'd guessed from the start, the conversation focused on me, since I'd been away for six years.

"Still, you've really gotten tall. I wouldn't call myself short, but your height really surprised me."
"That's right. I remember well what Battler-sama was like six years ago, but I was surprised even so."
"Yeah, seriously. I can hardly believe this is the same Battler we knew back then."
"I'm surprised how much everyone remembers about it. My memory's all hazy."
"Yeah, I'll bet. Looks like it's taking you a while to remember us. You know, that hurts a bit."
"Come on, this was six years ago, right? I'm the one who has it bad, being forced to remember...!"

"Well, your memory's great, after all. You remember the kind of things Battler did and said back then pretty clearly, don't you?"
"Come to think of it, that's right. Shannon's memory can be incredible when you'd least expect it."
"Uu-. I'm horrible at remembering. I remember fun things, but can't remember boring things at all. Uu-."

We all laughed, saying that everyone was like that.

"Shannon. By the way, what was Battler like six years ago? Remember any interesting episodes?"
"Let's see... I'm sure that he said something like this when he left. 'I'll be back, <see you again>. I'll surely come for you riding a white horse'."

BGM: HANE

"Gyaaahahahahaha!! Sounds just like something you'd say! Yeah, I remember you always used to be full of those stupid lines, Battler! Waaahahahhaha!!"
"Hahahaha. It really does sound like something Battler-kun would've said back then."
"Uu-. Embarrassing? Is that embarrassing?"
"...Yeah. Horribly embarrassing... Maria, I'm sure that when you're in middle school, you'll want to say embarrassing stuff like that... When that happens, make sure you write it down and read it three times before saying it out loud. If you don't, you'll definitely regret it..."
"Still, everyone has to pass through that pitiful period... That's right, that's how you learn your place, learn shame, and become an adult. Yeah, it's one of those bittersweet things everyone does in adolescence as they transition to becoming adults, a memory you just wanna forget... Aarrggwaaahhh..."

But now that those words were being recited to me, they were as embarrassing as all hell. I only recently came to understand this weakness... and was working hard to avoid such careless outbursts, but... I guess I was just born with the habit of speaking without thinking, and there's nothing I can do about it.

"Shannooon, do you remember any other embarrassing stuff?"
"Yes, well... I remember a few other things, but... since it looks like the person in question wants to forget them, I think I'll refrain from saying any more..."
"To be brutally honest, I don't remember this at all. Please, don't make me remembeeer."
"...Uu-. Shannon's bullying Battler...? Uu-. You can't. You shouldn't bully people."
"Hahahahaha. She isn't really bullying him. Let's leave it at that, okay? But Shannon, you'll have tell me all about it sometime Battler isn't around. It sounds pretty interesting."
"Yes, certainly."
"N-No, you can't, Shannon-chaaaaaaaaaan...!!"

George looked like he was flirting with Shannon, but he seemed somewhat open and frank about it. He was always that way with his cousins, but he usually took on a reserved, gentlemanly attitude when he came in contact with the servants. When I thought about it, I got the feeling he was being a bit overly friendly, which seemed strange.

Maria started scribbling in the sand with a stick, and George-aniki and Shannon-chan joined in. This left me and Jessica off to the side, so I asked her secretively.

"Ooooh? What the, how'd you guess?! Battler, you've got a keener eye for people than I thought."
"Huh... whaaaaaaat?! I was just kidding, but they're actually going out?!"
"Shhh! Your voice is too loud! It looks like they're keeping it secret for now, okay? It'd be better if nobody found out about it, especially Aunt Eva."
"I-I see... Love with a servant, huh...? Y-Yeah, but, since when? Whew, I guess a lot can happen in six years... But yeah, Aniki's an amazing person, and Shannon-chan seems to be kind and brave, so they might make a pretty good match."

I see, she really fits well with George-aniki, nothing I can do about that. Goodbye, my fleeting first love of six years ago...

...Which means that... the collection of embarrassing lines Shannon-chan had just held back on... probably had something to do with that... Aaaaaaaaaaarrghh, I can't take it...

"How long have they been going out?"
"That depends on what you call going out, but I think it's been at least a year. But if you count the time they both had one-sided feelings, it'd probably be several years."

Before I'd realized it, the two of them had separated themselves from the group and were walking down the beach, talking about something. They looked calm, and rather than a light relationship between two lovers, it looked like a more serious one, as though they were already engaged.

"...Six years ago, huh? That's a long time. What did those six years mean to me? I've just gotten taller. It was just a waste of time, six years I spent obstinately fighting with my dad."
"What about you, Battler? You got a girlfriend?"
"Hmm, I wonder. There's a few girls that I have fun with. But there's no 'only one'. I guess I'm just a kid. I think it's more fun to be noisy with a large group of people than being alone with one person."
"Aah, that's so you, Battler. But take your relationships with your female friends seriously. When girls get wrong impressions or form a group, it can be scary, you know? They might be having secret feuds over you behind your back, with people getting hurt or crying."
"That's so weird. I think I remember getting the same bit of advice from one of the girls in my class just last week. What's this all about? Why can't everyone just have fun together? Do people really want to couple up that much?"
"...It's probably because you've never found a partner like that, Battler. Well, you might run into someone sooner or later. You've just gotta wait patiently!"
"What? It almost sounds like you've already found a partner like that. What about you? Have you gotten a boyfriend?"
"Huh?! M-Me?! No, err, wahahahahaha..."
"Come on, that reaction's so easy to understand... From the looks of it, there's some boy you're thinking about, but you haven't been able to confess to him yet, something like that."
"N-No, umm, that's not, umm, uh! Sh-Shut up, who cares about that...!"
"If you're the one who brought up this subject, why are you yelling at me now? Women are creatures who always ask questions, and yet almost never answer them. What cruel creatures, seriously."
"...W-Well, umm... I did try... to confess once. Well, umm, I struck out pretty badly."
"Did you get an 'I'm sorry'?"
"No, umm, well, uh, my feelings were seriously one-sided, and they didn't really know how to respond, I guess... It was like they didn't view me that way at all."
"Well, I can understand that. You talk like a man, after all. If you don't act a bit more graceful, you won't be able to catch a boy's interest."

"...Hmm? Well, umm, how you talk isn't everything, but when people like you, who usually have a rough style of speech, suddenly start working hard to talk more normally... well, there are guys out there whose heart'll skip a beat when they see how determined you are."
"I-Is that really true...? I see, yeah..."

Jessica suddenly started talking more meekly, and then her face instantly went slightly red. I see, even though her confession didn't go well, it looks like she still hasn't given up. But still, I get it. After seeing how close George-aniki and Shannon-chan have gotten, I also kinda want to find a girlfriend.

Six years. Six years of puberty are pretty important, and they went by pretty fast. As the typhoon approached, the clouds grew steadily grayer, but even so, I had this really refreshing feeling. Maybe I'll try thinking more seriously about the opposite sex, more than just the size of their boobs...

"By the way, it looks like George-aniki's going out with a servant. Don't tell me it's the same for you?"
"Huh, whaaaat?!?! Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh-Why do you think that...?!"
"Come to think of it, that kid Kanon-kun, who greeted us in the rose garden... You were covering for him pretty intensely, considering he was just a little awkward at talking."
"N-No, that's not... Wahahahaha, now you're getting paranoid...!!"
"Then tell me just one thing. Right now, is the boy you're after within one kilometer of this spot?"
"W-Well about that, umm, I-I-I wonder..."

Kanon-kun was the only boy on this island now who could possibly become her boyfriend. So, judging by her reaction, I was right on. I didn't think of the Ushiromiya family as a noble family, but love with a servant... I wouldn't have dreamed that two pairs of Romeo and Juliet would be right next to me...

Aunt Eva would probably become an obstacle to George-aniki and Shannon-chan's love. If Aunt Eva ever learned that Shannon-chan was the partner of her only beloved son, she'd probably scream at her for trying to steal away her precious George. And a relationship between Jessica and Kanon-kun would probably be just as full of difficulties. Aunt Natsuhi was also very strict about that kind of thing. After all, Jessica's husband would probably become the Head of the Ushiromiya family in the future. If that person had once been a servant working for the family... well, things would get complicated.

"Well, love is different for every person. As long as you're with someone who's fun to be around, does anything else matter? When two people pair up, they don't need anyone's permission, as long as they accept each other. Worrying about what your parents or family will say means you've already lost. Don't forget that. You'd better not go out with someone with mixed feelings."
"...Tch... I can't believe you're saying something so philosophical-sounding when you haven't even been in love."

"...Pfft, wahhahhahahahahahahahahaha!! George nii-san, Shanno-n, listen, liste-n! This guy, he's said another one of those lines!!"
"I didn't say anything, I didn't say anything!! Waaah, don't make fun of me, don't make fun of me!!"
"Uu-, I heard it! <See you aga-in>, <see you aga-in>!!"

For a while, we forgot that the wind was getting stronger and played around on the beach. I grew a lot these past six years... and being able to celebrate my youth and meet with all of my cousins was truly refreshing. It was a bit late now, but I realized that I should've gotten back together with everyone a lot sooner, and returned to the Ushiromiya family...

"It sure is nice to have all the cousins together every once in a while..."
"Uu-! I like it too! It's really fun when all the cousins get together!"
"That's right. We're already old enough. It's not like we couldn't meet each other when our parents aren't around. It might not be a bad idea to gather the cousins together and play every once in a while."
"That's a good plan. Maybe we should set up something like that the next time we get a chance."
"Yeah, I agree. I hope we cousins can stay friends forever."
"Hey, hey, if you make such a big deal of it, you almost make it sound like relatives usually end up hating each other."
"Hahahahahaha."

George-aniki and Jessica laughed, but it felt just a little strained. Did I say something wrong? Judging by how our parents made quiet expressions and tired faces every once in a while during the boat ride and at the airport, maybe I should've kept that to myself.

"Uu-! Me too! We're all friends!!"
"That's right. Yeah. We'll always be together. We'll always be friends."
"Heheh. Man, we've been saying some pretty embarrassing stuff. I feel kinda awkward."
"But I think it's very important. People are creatures who find it very hard to stay together, much less remain friends, unless they truly desire it."
"That's right. You really can't take everyone being friendly for granted."
"Uu-. A witch I know said it. Happiness won't be granted unless everyone believes in it."
"That's true. Maybe some magic exists in the power of belief. If we all believe in that, I'm sure it will bring us happiness."
"All right. Well, if we're doing embarrassing stuff already... Let's all swear to believe in this together, okay? That we'll all always be friendly, that we'll always be happy."

Like hell we'll end up like our parents. As if we'd ever search for each other's weaknesses, going after Grandfather's fortune...

"Okay! We'll always be friendly and happy. Let's all believe in that."

...I wonder if the typhoon will pass and let us see the clear skies before we leave this island. Who cares about what our parents are planning? Who cares about the inheritance and the honor of our old family? As youthful as we were, we were renewing our old friendship. And we all believed together that we could find happiness.

That's why... I want this pair of days to end... without anything weird happening, in peace and happiness... and calmly...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dern witch infestations ruining perfectly good family outings!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, this is certainly bittersweet, now that we've come so far and seen so much... It's admirable that all the kiddos don't want to end up like their parents, but influence is very strong and they'll all need help in rising above what their environment has taught them. Perhaps that's what the Endless Curse really means, beyond all this hoo-hah about lightsabers and goatmen and magic butterflies. They gently caress you up, your mum and dad; they may not mean to, but they do. And I wonder if, deep down, the parents know that, which is why they don't let the kids participate in the family meetings and just hang out as they please.

And oh god... all this emphasis on Battler's romantic prospects and thoughts on relationships has reminded me of what Tender Child Loins said last page. I mean, she's a horrible magic-dick, they're not... actually pushing Beatrice as... :gonk:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Excellent timing for ending the update, Prof.

Are you planning on including the bonus TIP that was distributed alongside this episode?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

oath2order posted:

Are you planning on including the bonus TIP that was distributed alongside this episode?

I don't know much of anything about additional content outside the game, so I'll leave that up to the thread to bring up when it's both relevant and non-spoilery.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is Golden Beatrice truly an endless witch? Or is her power really just endless destruction of things not fated to end by her hand?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

resurgam40 posted:

And oh god... all this emphasis on Battler's romantic prospects and thoughts on relationships has reminded me of what Tender Child Loins said last page. I mean, she's a horrible magic-dick, they're not... actually pushing Beatrice as... :gonk:

To be honest, even I realize how much of a crack ship that is. But, surmising from the thread title, it seems like various kinds of "love" are a major theme of this work: maternal love (Rosa), obsessive/objectifying love (Kinzo), self-love (Natsuhi and maybe Eva this episode?), and I guess the regular flavor of love with George and Shannon. And then... maybe a mutually therapeutic love! Beatora! *cough*

Anyway, I wonder if "without love, it cannot be seen" applies to other things as well. Certainly in Kinzo's case, his love and hard work earned him a chance to see Beatrice again. And maybe it's also meant to draw a contrast between the cousins and the siblings: obviously no love lost among the latter. I'm convinced more and more that the Power of Friendship is going to lead to something, eventually, if the kids can get ahead of the slaughter.

edit: Very excellent points!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tender Child Loins posted:

self-love (Natsuhi and maybe Eva this episode?)
Natsuhi, in my opinion, is more familial love. Unlike Eva or Rosa, Natsuhi isn't an Ushiromiya by blood and that carries a big weight on her. She loves her family greatly, but she's treated as second-class because she married into it. Sure Hideyoshi and Kyrie married in too, but they're noted to be accomplished in business (Hideyoshi runs a company, Kyrie is Rudolf's adviser.) Natsuhi's main duties is being a housewife, the kind of role Eva notably looks down upon.

Natsuhi has a high opinion of herself, but her insecurity is that nobody else in the family acknowledges her abilities. This is why Kinzo's words touch her so much.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This family, I swear... With how much they have romances with furniture, I wonder how a trip to Ikea would go.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

EagerSleeper posted:

This family, I swear... With how much they have romances with furniture, I wonder how a trip to Ikea would go.

We don't talk about the Ushroimiya vs Ikea and the people of Japan case. It's not fit for public broadcast.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

EagerSleeper posted:

Shipping and handling included. :wiggle:

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 30, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
None of them being siblings probably makes the friendship a lot easier.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Organ Short #600 Million in C Minor

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I've finally prepared a new game. Come, let us begin this tale of tragedy! Come to me, winds, rain, typhoon! Cut this island off from the real world!! Throw Rokkenjima into another realm, into the spirit world, into a world of fantasy!"

However, to an Endless Witch, what did it matter whether it was the first, second, or third time? It probably didn't matter at all. After all, this was a tale of fantasy, endlessly repeating until the match was settled. Would Battler surrender first, or would the witch?

Then the sky grew dark and cloudy, and the rain and wind were summoned together and became a typhoon... Maria could be seen in the rose garden, paying no mind to the rain that had started falling, going around in circles, searching for that single rose that should have been marked...

Maria definitely remembered it. That rose had been in the flower bed right here. And yet, it wasn't anymore. She didn't know what to do with her irritation at not being able to find something that should've been there, and, moaning bitterly, she couldn't help but keep going back and forth in circles around the same spot. She was acting almost as though she'd be able to see it if she looked at a different angle, but even though she did that, there was no way to find something that wasn't there...

The wind grew increasingly strong, and the rain turned into cold, large drops. There was no way even Maria would fail to notice this. However, if she couldn't find her rose here, it would surely disappear forever. Maria believed that. That feeling spurred her on to keep searching for a rose that she had no chance of finding...

Just then, the cold drops of rain tormenting Maria were suddenly blocked.

"...Uu-?"

Maria raised her head. When she did, she saw an umbrella there, protecting her from the rain...

BGM: Witch in Gold

"Beatrice...!!"
"What are you doing so frantically in the middle of all this rain? You could catch a cold like this. Even witches have to care for their own health."
"I... can't find... my rose... Uu-. No matter how many times I search, even though it should've been here, I can't find it..."

Maria told Beatrice about how there had been a slightly unhealthy, pitiful rose, and that she was sure they had marked it.

"Hoho. So you can't find it. If you are a witch's apprentice, you should use magic to search for the rose. I believe that searching with just your eyes won't be nearly enough."
"...Uu-. I can't find it. I did my best and tried to search with magic, but I can't find it..."
"I think practicing your magic is a very good thing, but it might be a little too much for you with all this wind and rain. Allow me to lend you some special power. Concern for one's disciples is also one of a teacher's duties."
"Th-Thank yooou, Beatrice!!"

Maria's face, which had been full of sadness until just now, split open into a grin. Maria knew. She knew that there was nothing Beatrice's magic couldn't do. So she was sure that Beatrice would be able to find the rose easily, even though Maria couldn't...

Beatrice closed her eyes lightly, acting as though she was listening for something in all this wind and rain. Then she heard it, opened her eyes, and spoke.

"Uu-... Then, my rose...?"
"It was uprooted by the wind...and is no longer of this world."
"...Uu-..."

What Beatrice had said was quite reasonable. There was nothing odd about the flower being broken off at the stem in this strong wind. However, Maria couldn't accept this and bitterly gave a low-pitched moan...

"...No."
"Hoh?"
"...No, no, no! It's my rose!! My rose won't come back, no! I'll bring it back to life with my magic. Beatrice, teach me how to revive a rose with magic...!!"
"Ha! It's much too early for an apprentice like you to learn the hidden art of Endless Magic. Know your place."
"...Uuuuuu."

Maria wiped the tears from her eyes, full of regret. Beatrice shrugged her shoulders and chuckled at Maria's pitiable expression.

"Very well. I will lend you my power, the hidden art that can revive a rose."
"Really?!"
"Indeed. Well then, concentrate the power of your heart. Close your eyes, forget the rain, forget the wind, and search for the soul of the wandering rose with the eyes of your heart."
"...Uu-."

Maria closed her eyes. Then, she repeated Beatrice's song-like words...

BGM: Worldend

Around Maria, who was concentrating her power, her eyes tightly shut, small golden butterflies began to dance. Was this the manifestation of the magical power Maria held?

"Lost soul of the rose. Gather into one, and remember your form. Come, gather, remember..."

The glitter of the gold butterflies began to strengthen, and their numbers increased. Then, Beatrice raised a finger up to the skies, and they began to gather at the tip of that finger... This was the miracle of the golden magic...

The gold butterflies began to condense into a single dazzling grain of gold. It was a single glittering gold seed. It rode on the tip of Beatrice's finger, budded into a golden sprout, and opened into a golden leaf. It then slowly fell from that fingertip, sank into the mud of the flower bed, and began to grow steadily...

Maria, who admired magic and the witch, really wanted to see this fantastical sight. However, as an apprentice, Maria was still not qualified to see it. No, she was probably afraid that, if she opened her eyes to look, the power that she had concentrated in her heart would be cut off, and the magic would be lost. Therefore, Beatrice, as the only one permitted to witness this golden miracle, was the only witch, the sole master of many miracles.

Then, the fully-grown rose bloomed, creating one golden flower. And when Beatrice poked it with her finger in just the right way, the gold-colored sparkle scattered, just as if a golden soap bubble had popped, and what remained was a single beautiful rose.

"...However, if we just leave it mixed in with these other roses, you won't be able to tell it apart. Shall I perform one last service?"

Beatrice, for the sake of her cute apprentice who was moaning even more now in concentration, decided to use one more bit of magic. When she snapped her fingers, a single gold butterfly appeared, fluttered around, and landed on the flower that had just been revived. Then it suddenly burst open and disappeared, becoming golden lace and marking the rose...

"That will do. Maria, you may open your eyes now."
"...Uu-? Where's the rose? It's not here. Not here."
"Not over there, over here. Look. I've marked it with golden lace."
"Wah, you did...!! Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome!! Thank you Beato, thank you Beato!! I want to become a witch quickly, a Great Witch like you!!"
"And you can. Long ago, I too wished for that innocently, just as you do, and I have attained that level."

Maria was ecstatic over the revived rose, clapping her hands and jumping around in joy. Watching that, Beatrice also smiled, looking fairly pleased. By now, I can break and repair any soul if I try, not just that of a rose, and kill and revive as I pleased.

Now is the time for the Golden Witch, Beatrice, to descend as an Endless Witch.

Beatrice pulled from her pocket an envelope with the family crest, the One-Winged Eagle, and gave it to Maria. Maria frolicked around at being selected to be the witch's messenger.

BGM: The Candles Dance

"So then, let us make the ante. All that you have given should be returned to you in the end. Come, take it!!"

Kinzo flung the window of his study open wide, took off the valuable golden ring that had been on his finger, and threw it into the darkness of the raging wind and rain... That ring was struck by lightning, and after twinkling gold for an instant, disappeared. Kinzo watched it go, grinning broadly and fearlessly.

"I don't think I'll lose. You are mine. Forever!!"

It headed for the rose garden, almost as though it was being guided there. It then found the figure of the Golden Witch and fluttered down... When it came down right in front of Beatrice, it burst open and returned to its original form, flying through the air. The way it was going, you would've expected it to fall into a puddle, but it stopped suddenly in midair. Almost as if some transparent person had caught it.

Apparently, even Beatrice hadn't expected this. However, she realized what... no, who it was, and grinned broadly at it. As she did, the shadow of the person who had caught the ring began to fuzzily appear...

BGM: Fishy Aroma

There was no man like this among the servants of the Ushiromiya family. Even so, Beatrice laughed as though it was someone she remembered fondly.

"Ronove, is it? It's been quite some time. It seems you have remembered me. You were always a man who took loyalty seriously."
"It has been quite some time since your last correspondence... Not for a single day have I, Ronove, forgotten that I serve you, Milady. I was more afraid that you had forgotten about me. After all, you can be quite forgetful."
"*cackle*cackle*...! I see, yes, I certainly am forgetful. I'd forgotten even your sarcasm until I heard it again."
"Milady, take this."

With an exaggerated yet elegant gesture, he bowed respectfully... and held out to Beatrice the Head's Ring that he'd just caught.

"It is the Ushiromiya Family Head's Ring, returned to you from Ushiromiya Kinzo. It is now once again in the possession of its Master."
"Indeed. This is Kinzo announcing the start of the game. Of course I'll accept it."
"So, how shall we play tonight? Shall I prepare the roulette immediately? Or shall I prepare some black tea first?"
"I can't decide which, but first, I need you to greet someone. I'm sure that guy's got his mouth hanging open and can't shut it."
"Right, Battler?"

:siren:Video: A Devil's Proof:siren:

"See? His mouth's hanging open and he can't shut it, right? *cackle*cackle*!"

"By the way, Battler, did you notice? Did you realize that meeting him is a true 'Devil's Proof'?"
"A-A Devil's Proof...?! What do you mean...?"
"He may not look like it, but this guy's one of the 72, a genuine demon. In other words, I've brought a demon right in front of you, which truly proves that they exist."
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!! Ronove holds a noble rank in hell, the 27th highest-ranked Great Demon. He's a pretty useful man. I summoned him at high cost and made him serve me."
"It is an honor to meet you. While my name is amongst those of the nobles of hell, I now serve as the head furniture of Beatrice-sama, who despite being a vulgar human, is a Great Witch of such caliber that demons flee before her."
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle* He's a very useful man, but he's impudent with his words. Frustratingly enough, he sometimes forgets to respect his Master."
"Nothing in my contract specifies the manner in which I am to speak. Would you like to change that contract?"
"It keeps me entertained, so it's fine. *cackle*cackle*!"

Beatrice turned her back to him, cackling. After bowing once to her back, Ronove turned back to Battler and stuck out his right hand, showing off an innocent smile. Normally, this would mean that he was asking for a handshake.

"...Wh-What is this supposed to be?"

"...Of course, this in no way implies your entry into a contract with a demon, so fear not."
"Sorry, but I'm right in the middle of a big fight with your master. I only shake hands with an enemy after we've beaten each other up in a rainy schoolyard and are all worn out, like something you'd see in a teen drama. Remember that."
"I see. To shake hands with you, Battler-sama, I must create a fitting atmosphere in a suitable location, exchanging sweet words and physical language with you that rings true to your heart. When the opportunity arrives, I shall arrange for such an encounter."
"I must say, I simply lo-ve situations like that myself. Pu ku ku ku...!"

As Ronove laughed tauntingly, he whispered to Battler, bringing his face so close that their noses were almost touching. Battler, his face turning red after getting so close to another of the same sex, pushed him away.

"Y-You're a creepy bastard... I see, just right for Beato's butler..."
"It is an honor to receive such words of praise. I'm very confident in my tea brewing abilities, so please look forward to tea time. Baking cookies is one of my hobbies, so please feel free to request any snacks you may desire."
"Just what I'd expect from a pair of the same gender. You've started getting along well right off the bat. I'm jealous."
"My, my. I apologize for making you jealous, Milady. I shall not sneakily snatch your guest away from you. Well then, I will leave for now to retake my post as head furniture and greet my subordinates. Please forgive my short absence."
"Indeed. Only the common goats and the Seven Sisters used for the ceremony have manifested themselves. You will be able to finish greeting them in no time."
"Oh? Those lively Seven Sisters are here? I wonder if those naughty girls have grown a little more graceful?"
"...Ihihi. If that's graceful, I'll have to doubt the definition of the word graceful."
"Is that so? Then I suppose you've already had the opportunity to play with those sisters."
"Judging by your expression, it would seem they're just as naughty as always. Even though I am always telling them to act more fitting as servants of Beatrice-sama. What troublesome kids..."
"If that's your problem, don't worry. They actually act perfectly fitting for their master..."
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*! Now even you have begun to say it!"
"However, a conversation means that you accept your partner. The fact that you've started to respond to my idle chatting proves that you are gradually starting to accept my existence."
"Heh. That's because, even if the sun starts rising from the west, I will definitely, absolutely never accept that you're a witch. You might wanna try a more positive approach, like crying and kissing my shoes."

Even if Battler was bluffing, he still spoke forcefully, a fearless expression on his face. The witch and her butler snickered together, realizing that their guest had regained more than enough of his willpower to attend to a new game... and that preparations were complete...

After Ronove exchanged a few words with Beatrice, he bowed silently to Battler, scattered into several gold butterflies, and disappeared.

BGM: Golden Sneer

"...How boring were the days when I was trapped alone on this island, unable to regain my power and lacking anyone to talk to..."
"...I get how that unpleasant guy is really fitting as your butler. But tell me. Why has that butler only appeared now? You said something about how only the goats and the nee-chans of the Seven Stakes had manifested themselves. What did that mean...?"
"Indeed. You still resist, but I am a fully-fledged witch. I am in contact with several nonhuman entities in the spirit world."
"I'll bet. No sane people would hang out with you. First some goat monsters, then those rear end nee-chans, and this time a demon butler's showed up. I hate to think about it, but the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if even more weird people appeared..."
"Hahahaha! Among the furniture that work at my great golden mansion, how many demons do you think want to come over and play? They will keep coming. Many of them will appear."
"When the door to the Golden Land is opened, I will call back all of my furniture and build my new castle here on Rokkenjima. Then I plan to invite all of my old friends, and we will drink and dance together for three days and three nights."
"...Of course, I also plan to invite Kinzo's family, you see? You too, if you wish. *cackle*cackle*...!"
"...So Let me get this straight. Since you lost your power for a long time, you couldn't summon them. And then, since your magic power has been gradually increasing, you've become able to summon more and more monsters?"
"It is as you say. You stopped a hair's breadth before crumbling, but your heart is already wavering, and you are unable to deny that I am a witch. That wavering in your heart has been slowly restoring my power as a witch."

"That's right. Bit by bit, you are surrendering to me...! Isn't all that humiliation you suffered in the last game a result of you submitting to me so deeply? Wasn't it great when you had to sacrifice your back for the sake of my feet? *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"
"...D-Dammit, I thought I'd be able to keep things as they were, as long as I didn't accept you. But it looks like that was wrong."
"Correct. The closer you get to surrendering, the more the game will swing in my favor. Isn't chess the same? In the process of cornering each other's kings, we trade several pieces. Of course, I still haven't cornered your king."
"...And furthermore, you're giving it everything you've got just to help your king escape, and have lost several pieces to me, as well as a large advantage. It is only natural that further developments will tend to turn in my favor."
"...drat..."
"From now on, you will probably be frantic as you try to avoid my checkmate. However, as you do, I will steal your pieces from you one by one. In the end, you'll have lost everything but your king, and you won't be able to escape no matter how much you try. Then you will receive a true checkmate."
"...You were talking big last time, weren't you? Something about how you'd never accept me and would torment me with eternal torture. Only witches who have reached the endless level can talk about eternity. That's been beyond you ever since the very beginning."
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*, hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-ha!!"

BGM: The Candles Dance

"Tonight, I ask that you enjoy your battle of wits with Kinzo-sama to the fullest. I sincerely pray that this night will be both intellectual and elegant. --Beatrice the Golden."

When Maria finished reading the letter that Beatrice had handed her, everyone was at a loss for words for a while. And then, they all broke the silence at once...

"R-Ridiculous. What a worthless, vicious prank!"
"I agree wholeheartedly. There is no way Father gave up the Head's Ring. Beatrice? Ha! What a transparent prank, hoping to confuse us just by bringing up that name."
"Hey, hey, who filled this dessert up with a little too much punch? I wanna applaud and praise you, so come clean, okay? Rosa?"
"O-Of course not...! I wouldn't pull a prank by assuming Father's name!"
"Then Aneki?! Aniki?!"
"Me?! Are you an idiot?! It was Nii-san, right?! Only he could plan something this vulgar!!"
"Are you trying to mock me?!! I'm the one who wants to question you! Who is behind this ill-natured prank?!"

Krauss beat the table and stared at everyone. Since that included the children too, he scared most of them...

"We can't be sure. Maybe it really is one of Father's shady pranks... He might've planned this to shock us a bit, since we've been discussin' the distribution of his inheritance without him..."
"If Dad was the one who planned this, then we can't take what Maria-chan just read aloud as a joke, right...?"
"...That's right. If you interpret the contents literally, then this is a test from Father. The epitaph of the witch has been displayed in the hall for quite some time now, so that any one of us could solve it. There was plenty of notice. That means he was saying that the first person to solve it would be handed the inheritance along with all of his wealth, right...?"

"Nothing so foolish could possibly be the case!! It is an unshakable fact that my husband is the Successor to the Ushiromiya Family Headship!!"
"Well, doesn't this letter shake that?! This is a message from the person who was given full rights to all of Father's wealth! Nii-san's right to become the Head has returned to a blank slate. The person who solves the riddle... the person who finds Beatrice's gold will become the next Head of the Ushiromiya family!!"
"Ridiculous...! Do you think we can trust the meaningless words in that letter? That the seal was the real thing? There's no way we could trust that!!"
"Then let's try to go and ask Father directly! At this point, you can't get away with saying he's grumpy or feeling bad, right?! The sealed wax clearly shows that this was from Father's representative! If you doubt that, then show some proof, Nii-san. Show that this letter does not contain Father's will!!"
"V-Very well. It is just as you say. It no longer matters whether Father's in a good mood or not... Let us go up and ask him directly."
"Let's do it. We'll ask Dad directly. Dad is Dad, so why would he act in such a roundabout way? Then again, I guess that would be like him!"
"I-I wonder if we really should continue this discussion on the assumption that this letter came from Father..."
"Stupid Rosa!! Isn't it obviously from Father?! That letter is Father's!! Isn't it obvious that he's giving the four of us an even chance to become the Successor?!! Die, you brainless idiot!!"

"I-I'm sorry...! Th-Th-That's right, I'm sorry..."

In the beginning, the adults had all doubted the credibility of the letter, but after realizing that this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance in the inheritance struggle for the three younger siblings, Eva changed her position, claiming that the letter was authentic. Rudolf and Rosa caught on and agreed.

"Outrageous!! How can adults like you take such a worthless prank this seriously...?! I don't need to be Father to understand his contempt!!"
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Natsuhi-san, all we've gotta do is ask Father and we're done, right...?! Won't everything be fine if Father just tells us that he doesn't know about any letter?"
"Nii-san, take responsibility and just get him to say that he doesn't know about the letter. This is no time to get scared just because he's in a bad mood, okay?!"

"Y-Yeah! Let's get this settled clearly. He's probably eating in his study right now. Let's have him set down his chopsticks for just a moment...!"
"It's decided. Let's go! Kyrie, wait here for a while. We'll go to check whether it's true or not and come back quickly."
"...Thank you. I'll wait patiently for Gohda-san to bring in dessert."

The four siblings, Natsuhi, and Hideyoshi all rose from their seats forcefully and flew out into the hallway with a clatter. Afterwards, only the children, stunned completely speechless, Nanjo, who looked uncomfortable, and Kyrie, who just shrugged, were left. In the middle of all of this was Maria, who looked a little scared at the adults' sudden change. However, judging from her appearance, she didn't look like she realized the full meaning of what she'd just read.

"...They're all bastards. Do they really want the inheritance that much...?!"
"...Everyone, this is our parents' problem. It has nothing to do with us. So you mustn't worry about it."
"Even if you say that, they were so blatant about it..."
"I can't believe them...! Showing off their greed like that...!"
"Uu-! Everyone has to believe together that we'll be happy! Uu-uu-!"
"...That's right. We all did promise. Come on, Battler-kun, Jessica-chan, you too..."
"...Haah."
"...I feel horrible..."

...We'd been vaguely aware of how filthy this family conference was going to be. However, after that six-year blank, I couldn't help being shocked... When he saw that the children were completely dejected, Doctor Nanjo cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"...It's an adult matter. It has nothing to do with all of you young people. Let us forget about it."
"I would if I could...!"
"I know it's hard. But forget it for now. All of your parents are fighting frantically to make your futures just a little brighter. Please, don't look at your injured parents with those cold eyes when they come back."
"...No matter how much you ask us, Kyrie-san, that'll be tough."
"If we could be happy with an explanation like that, we wouldn't be kids..."
"Uu-! Everyone, be happy-!! Can't get da-rk!! Belie-ve! If everyone doesn't believe we can be happy, that happiness will get away! Everyone has to believe! Uu-uu-uu-!!"
"...I like the sound of that. I'll believe too. I'll believe we can find happiness."
"Uu-! Aunt Kyrie, thank you!! Battler and Jessica, you believe too! Beatrice is also always saying that magic won't have any power if you don't believe. Uu-!"

Kyrie-san rose from her seat quietly, went over to Maria, and crouched down so that their eyes met.

"...Uu-. Aunt Kyrie believed. Now, Battler and Jessica have to believe."
"Those two are strong. They'll feel better soon, and then they'll believe."
"Yeah."
"More importantly, I want you to tell me something."

When Kyrie-san said that, Jessica, George-aniki, Doctor Nanjo and I all listened closely. It looked like our parents were so concerned with the inheritance problem that Grandfather filled their minds, but we wanted to ask Maria about something simpler.

"Uu-? What?"

BGM: Stupefaction

"Beatrice!!"
"The witch drawn in that portrait...?"
"Uu-! She gave me this letter and an umbrella! And she used magic to fix my rose that was broken! Beatrice is an awesome witch who can do anything!!"
"...Could you tell us about that in a bit more detail...?"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 2, 2016

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

He's finally here :allears:

Oh Prof, I just realized. I think you forgot to include the introduction paragraph from the start of the episode.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

oath2order posted:

He's finally here :allears:

Oh Prof, I just realized. I think you forgot to include the introduction paragraph from the start of the episode.

Indeed I did. I'll check what it was when I get off work.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

"...That's right. If you interpret the contents literally, then this is a test from Father. The epitaph of the witch has been displayed in the hall for quite some time now, so that any one of us could solve it. There was plenty of notice. That means he was saying that the first person to solve it would be handed the inheritance along with all of his wealth, right...?"

Hmm... Last episode, we were made to believe that it was Shannon smashing the holy mirror at the shrine that "summoned" Beatrice, but here, we're led to believe that it was Eva's prayer with her past self that brought the witch here. Which means it could be both of these, or something else entirely; let's face it, this unhappy family doesn't really need any one specific reason for tragedy to befall it. The interesting thing is, for all the kiddos believe the parents are after the inheritance to satisfy their greed and how the beginning tells us that all of the adults "NEED A LOT OF MONEY RIGHT NOW", it actually isn't just about the gold for any of the people we've been in the heads of. Natsuhi just wants to prove herself as a true family member, while Eva wants vindication for all her hard work and to stick it to her father and siblings. Rosa... I guess she really does want cash, but she seemed to come to a breakthrough at the end of her episode that it was all about providing Maria with something better. The menfolk really do seem to want the dough to help their business ventures though, except for Krauss, who really doesn't seem to want anything at all... Man, Eva might be a bitch in saying so, but what even is the point of you, Krauss? You beat up your younger siblings for no good goddamn reason I can see, and you don't even seem to want the family chair which drives Eva crazy, your wife and child don't seem to enliven you, your business sense is poo poo... I mean, God!

And now we have this guy, Ronove of the Goetia, or so he claims... the guy Solovey implied Genji was in disguise, or was tied to Genji somehow; I guess they're not one and the same, but I guess he was right in the allusion. I'm... not going to say anything about him right now, because part of me is just throwing up his hands and going "Why not? Gay demon butler with a monocle- cool. Moving on.", and partly because I don't know what this means at all.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Oh man this is so good

As you can already see, EP3 has definitely a brisker start than EP2 and it works quite well in its favor. It helps that the previous episodes did a lot of the "groundwork" for it, though, and now we can just introduce random demons because

resurgam40 posted:

"Why not? Gay demon butler with a monocle- cool. Moving on."

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

tiistai posted:

Oh man this is so good

As you can already see, EP3 has definitely a brisker start than EP2 and it works quite well in its favor. It helps that the previous episodes did a lot of the "groundwork" for it, though, and now we can just introduce random demons because

Yeah. One of the things that makes episode 3 so good is that after two versions of the story, it's much more confident to use short hand to reference events that happened the first two episodes, without actually wasting time on stuff we don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kyrie's approach to questioning Maria is way different then everyone else's has been. Much kinder and gentler. Guessing it's because she has a daughter even younger then Maria and knows how to approach it a bit better.

• Locked thread