Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
On the one hand having wild pokemon visit your island in Poke Pelago is pretty great (got a free metang!) but it really sucks when you get a rare one like Lapras and it just leaves even if you fill out your bean cart

also what's a good set for Passimian? I've been unable to breed any pokemon much due to filling out my dex and it seems that is an exclusive most don't have yet. Would Adamant (I have a 4.9 IV ditto for it) or Jolly (nothing until pokebank unfortunately) be better for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Traded two castforms for two Type:Nulls last night :stare:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The FC rewards for talking to guests and VIPs in Festival Plaza really is all over the place. I got 2 FC for something last night and this morning I got 120 FC for listening to a VIP talk. I'm wondering if it scales with Plaza rank or something (as in your rank and that of the people you interact with).

Machai posted:

Stupid Alolans don't even know what goosebumps are, keep calling it chicken skin. smdh

Chicken skin is the superior term. Pokemon enthusiasts from China, Finland, Estonia, South Africa, Korea and Vietnam will agree with that assessment :colbert:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 30, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sockser posted:

Traded two castforms for two Type:Nulls last night :stare:

I'm praying that my Castform for Lunala trade has gone through overnight.

That'd be a big ol' nope. Maybe people are getting smarter, but that post would seem to imply they aren't. Maybe the trick is to ask for another Cosmog and to get a friend with Moon to evolve it instead...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've spent a lot of time getting all the EV items and EV berries and everything... but I never considered the fact that I have no idea what EVs I actually want :negative: I mean, I'm sure I can't go wrong with Speed + Atk/Sp.Atk or HP + Atk/Sp.Atk but anything more nuanced is beyond my knowledge. I tried searching, but all I can find are smogon forum posts of people suggesting wildly different stuff.

Mierenneuker posted:

Chicken skin is the superior term. Pokemon enthusiasts from China, Finland, Estonia, South Africa, Korea and Vietnam will agree with that assessment :colbert:

Maybe the truth... is in the middle :grin: We call it "goose skin" in my country

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i said this last night in discord but togedemaru's shiny is very disappointing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Alxprit posted:

That'd be a big ol' nope. Maybe people are getting smarter, but that post would seem to imply they aren't. Maybe the trick is to ask for another Cosmog and to get a friend with Moon to evolve it instead...

I've had a Castform for UB trade up most of the last night but haven't had a chance to check for it, but I saw a lot of folks requesting Silvally for UBs so maybe you just need to ask for a Type: Null, evolve it and then trade that for the legendary

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

boy are my arms tired posted:

i said this last night in discord but togedemaru's shiny is very disappointing

I like the shape it makes, though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alxprit posted:

I got two Cosmogs for Castform yesterday. Haven't been able to get a third trade for a potential living Pokedex yet* but I am amazed I even got two to begin with. My plan probably is to evolve to Lunana and trade it for Solgaleo on the GTS. But yeah that is a future scenario, I should probably finish the game first :v:

*Cosmog, Cosmeom, Solgaleo and Lunana

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I read some pre-release stuff about hyper training, and I figured I'd ask before I finally buy this today: does hyper training let a relatively casual Pokemon fan like me actually participate in wifi battles? It lets you boost a max-level Pokemon's IVs, right? Somehow I've been extremely resistant to getting deep into Pokemon breeding for good IVs so I never end up getting to do multiplayer battles because I'd just get owned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm mad no one has bit on my Rowlet 4 Litten trade. Like, wtf? I thought the whole reason for putting starters on gts was to get other starters. And no one is offering popplio 4 Rowlet either.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

tbp posted:

tournament effort post

This is some incredibly interesting and cool poo poo. the RBY and GSC replays are fascinating because it's so different from the modern game in viability--Persian rolling over dudes in that one RBY replay was rad

What would you say makes a Singles/Poke player good? Is it being able to predict moves more than anything? From my very, very, very limited experience in VGC so far over the last week (lol) that seems to be the case--when I've lost it's been because the other person was just smarter

greatn posted:

I'm mad no one has bit on my Rowlet 4 Litten trade. Like, wtf? I thought the whole reason for putting starters on gts was to get other starters. And no one is offering popplio 4 Rowlet either.

I had the same thing going on like the Sunday after release and couldn't trade a Popplio for jack poo poo. I don't think people are jonesing for starter babies this gen :(

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can someone help me understand why Castform is such a hot commodity?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

Persian rolling over dudes in that one RBY replay was rad

persian's making a comeback in a big way

as an annoying oranguru eater

Harrow posted:

I read some pre-release stuff about hyper training, and I figured I'd ask before I finally buy this today: does hyper training let a relatively casual Pokemon fan like me actually participate in wifi battles? It lets you boost a max-level Pokemon's IVs, right? Somehow I've been extremely resistant to getting deep into Pokemon breeding for good IVs so I never end up getting to do multiplayer battles because I'd just get owned.

yes, however bottlecaps are sort of at a premium since its random if you get any, and you need 6 if you want to make a single competitive mon (arguably 5 if not mixed sweeper or 4 if you want really low speed); if you're real lucky you could get a gold bottle cap

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I can't see how bottle-caps are more casual than breeding atm because getting a pokemon to level 100 seems to be an utter chore. Maybe once everyone has a 5-star rare kitchen to share around this will change but for now hyper training to me feels completely nonviable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

yes, however bottlecaps are sort of at a premium since its random if you get any, and you need 6 if you want to make a single competitive mon (arguably 5 if not mixed sweeper or 4 if you want really low speed); if you're real lucky you could get a gold bottle cap

Well, that is at least something.

Are there any guides to basic Pokemon breeding/training/etc. out there? I get the feeling I'd really enjoy competitive battling, but the barrier of entry has always seemed really obtuse to me. I'm the guy who thinks the main stories are easy enough as to be boring, but who's still too casual to really dig into the competitive side, so Pokemon games tend to just go right by me while I'm sitting in the middle. If it turns out it's not as grindy and terrible as I've sort of assumed to breed and train good Pokemon I'll be pretty happy about that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why is there a five minute cutscene before and after choosing your starter, I just want to SR for a jolly rowlett.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if your trade is up for more than an hour, relist it. it's going to get pushed back farther in the queue where people are less likely to see it as more bad trades populate the list

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is it fixed which pokémon can SOS which?
I got a million and one Fearow in a row from a Fearow but Pancham called Goomy instantly.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Harrow posted:

Are there any guides to basic Pokemon breeding/training/etc. out there? I get the feeling I'd really enjoy competitive battling, but the barrier of entry has always seemed really obtuse to me. I'm the guy who thinks the main stories are easy enough as to be boring, but who's still too casual to really dig into the competitive side, so Pokemon games tend to just go right by me while I'm sitting in the middle. If it turns out it's not as grindy and terrible as I've sort of assumed to breed and train good Pokemon I'll be pretty happy about that.

get a level 100 japanese ditto with destiny knot from either GTS or from someone in the thread who obtained it absolutely legitimately
get the pokemon you want to breed up
get an everstone (refight against captain illima)

1) breed the ditto with destiny knot and the pokemon you want withOUT the everstone, look for a pokemon with the nature you want (example, golisopod could use adamant, so look for adamant wimpods)
- destiny knot transfer 5 IV values from the parents over to the kid; there is always that one IV that is randomly chosen, so thats where the RNG comes in
2) once you find the nature you want (ex: adamant wimpod), put everstone on that pokemon and switch spots with the pokemon you were using
- everstone transfer the nature to the child, so if you want adamant to pass, give the adamant one an everstone
3) breed until you get a wimpod with more Best stats from the Judge App then the previous one (this is referred to as max IVs), replace the old with the new (and make sure you put the everstone on the new)
4) repeat 3 until you are pumping out 5 and 6iv mons; look for ones that have what you are looking for, and you can then move to EV training

for EV training;

spend a few hours getting the Power items; you can either get important ones first (attack, speed, special attack, hp) or you can get them all, its up to you
get a pokerus mon from someone in the thread

1) find a mon that gives the EVs you want (HP: Grimers north of Malie City by the waste plant, Speed: Zubats in the Sunken Cave on Melemele Island (accessed through Melemele Meadow). ~make sure EXP SHARE is on~
2) Adrenaline Orb the mon and bring it to critical (false swipe) - do not paralyze it or sleep it, this reduces SOS chance
3) kill the SOS mons; if you have a Power item and Pokerus on your dude, you will only need to kill 7 SOS mons to max your EVs for that stat
4) swap power items, repeat 1-3
5) you have 4? points leftover, you can usually toss them into a defensive stat and it'll do fine

there you go

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

if your trade is up for more than an hour, relist it. it's going to get pushed back farther in the queue where people are less likely to see it as more bad trades populate the list

Good tip, thanks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is it fixed which pokémon can SOS which?
I got a million and one Fearow in a row from a Fearow but Pancham called Goomy instantly.

Normal SOS's are fixed, but weather ones aren't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So how is this as a final team?

Looking like it's going to be Pelliper, Decidueye, Raichu-A, whatever Deino evolves into(I'm assuming it stays Dragon Dark), Salazzle(I'm assuming it stays fire poison), and Dugtrio-A.

I cover every type except Fairy, Rock, Fighting, and Normal

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 30, 2016

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Harrow posted:

You want to make sure any guide you consult is up-to-date for gen 7. As with last gen there have been changes (last time destiny knot, this time hyper training) which mean that anything from before is outdated. If you do use something from earlier gens be aware that it will emphasise breeding for ages to get the perfect mon, whereas now you have an alternative. And getting the right hidden power type is more viable because if nothing else, you can just breed for that and then hyper train.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

greatn posted:

Looking like it's going to be Pelliper, Decidueye, Raichu-A, whatever Deino evolves into(I'm assuming it stays Dragon Dark), Salazzle(I'm assuming it stays fire poison), and Dugtrio-A.

You have an answer to pretty much anything you'll face in the E4 so you're good to go

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What's up with a vast majority of GTS trade offers being complete poo poo? I was hoping to pick up some Eevee's to evolve them into the different forms (I spent like 30 mins trying to farm them up and got 1 so I figured I'd try), but everyone wants legendaries and ultra beasts...wtf. I found one guy that wanted a Vulpix for the fairy version of Eevee but in the 3 mins it took me to go catch a female version someone else made the trade and all the others were for some insanely rare pokemon.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ouhei posted:

What's up with a vast majority of GTS trade offers being complete poo poo? I was hoping to pick up some Eevee's to evolve them into the different forms (I spent like 30 mins trying to farm them up and got 1 so I figured I'd try), but everyone wants legendaries and ultra beasts...wtf. I found one guy that wanted a Vulpix for the fairy version of Eevee but in the 3 mins it took me to go catch a female version someone else made the trade and all the others were for some insanely rare pokemon.

Your time would be better served catching a Ditto and breeding it with your Eevee (or breeding two) than trading for them

Also, when you want something, don't look for it, put up your own trade and if it's reasonable someone will take you up on it. It's not the instant gratification of trading for something but it's cheaper and easier

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ouhei posted:

Yeah that's how the GTS. That's why you don't seek, you deposit.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ouhei posted:

all halfway reasonable trades go in seconds, leaving only the stupid poo poo behind

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ouhei posted:

That's basically the GTS in a nutshell.

Deal with Goons to breed/trade you the gaps in your Dex, especially once the Bank opens

Honestly if you're not gonna be doing battling and thus aren't caught up in the breeding/EV stuff, assembling a dex and/or living dex is basically the only thing giving these games longevity--and aside from version exclusives you can do an Alolan living dex mostly within your own game (Cosmog middle evo aside)

It's how I passed a year's worth of work trips in X/Y/ORAS

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 30, 2016

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ah, well that makes sense then. This is my first pokemon game since Yellow so I'm catching up on all the new poo poo. I'm currently trying to round out my team a bit for the Elite 4 battle, want to beat it with a group I really like as opposed to the random one I slapped together with things I managed to collect along the way.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

greatn posted:

Keep in mind that Deino doesn't evolve until LV50, and doesn't reach its actually useful final stage until an absurd LV64, the highest of any Pokemon in the series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Keep in mind that Deino doesn't evolve until LV50, and doesn't reach its actually useful final stage until an absurd LV64, the highest of any Pokemon in the series.

Hrm. I mainly chose him for being two types I didn't have on my team. Any other recommendations? Taking him out would leave fairy/dark/dragon/fighting/rock/normal with no representation.

Also, I have a Gyarados of relative similar level to my Pelliper right now, but she just doesn't seem as strong, will she be better eventually?

I'd prefer a two type mon. I could pull my Radicate-A out of storage I suppose.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No idea what possessed Game Freak when they decided on the Gen 5 evolution levels.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seeking isn't as bad now on GTS, I mean it is but it isn't, when you seek what you want to do is first filter out anyone requesting legendaries unless you're okay with trading them away, then after selecting a Pokemon you are looking for press Y and you can filter out all the request to Pokemon you actually have in your PC. There's a high possibility that you will filter out every trade request, but hey at least you didn't have to shuffle through all them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mierenneuker posted:

I got two Cosmogs for Castform yesterday. Haven't been able to get a third trade for a potential living Pokedex yet* but I am amazed I even got two to begin with. My plan probably is to evolve to Lunana and trade it for Solgaleo on the GTS. But yeah that is a future scenario, I should probably finish the game first :v:

*Cosmog, Cosmeom, Solgaleo and Lunana

You should be good?

Your game gives you a Lunala and a cosmog
You trade for two cosmogs, giving you three
Evolve one to Lunala, trade for Solgaleo
Evolve one to Cosmoem and keep it there

Done

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

greatn posted:

Hrm. I mainly chose him for being two types I didn't have on my team. Any other recommendations? Taking him out would leave fairy/dark/dragon/fighting/rock/normal with no representation.

Also, I have a Gyarados of relative similar level to my Pelliper right now, but she just doesn't seem as strong, will she be better eventually?

I'd prefer a two type mon. I could pull my Radicate-A out of storage I suppose.

Gyarados has garbage spA which is probably the problem. So aqua tail / waterfall is going to be better than using special attacks. If you have a drizzle pelliper then the rain is also a factor.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 30, 2016

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I learned that the hard way when I fought Ghetsis back in Black 1... :shepface:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I woke up this morning to this in Isle Avue.

Takes a few days but Baking Eggs is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo, you can put eggs there?