Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The thing is that the meta is pretty constantly changing, but in general there a few big archetypes.

Glacier: This has always been sort of a mainstay since day 1, mostly through Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the future. This deck is all about making hard to break central servers, and is arguably the lowest skill ceiling of the decks. It's all about making a single heavily defended scoring server, and then defending centrals after. There are 3 stages to this deck. First is set-up. If you see agendas, and you have a hard end the run ice, then you can try and score out agendas. Ideal first turn is Hedge fund, ICE Server 1, ICE HQ or R&D. Deciding what central to ICE is usually the big call. Versus criminal and a lot of anarchs you want to ICE HQ, versus shapers you typically ICE R&D. Siphon spam decks hurt a lot, and you don't have much in the way to punish it. Subsequent turns are usually Install, credit x2 as you slowly build up your money. In the current temujin meta, you will probably want to ICE archives with a single piece of ICE to ensure that you tax their runs on that server. During this phase, try to jam out a 3/2. Eventually you'll have some defensive upgrades like Ash up, which will make it even more expensive for runners to get through. Your end game is to have a bunch of money and economically dominate the runner and make it way too expensive for them to get in repeatedly on that scoring server. Once it's up, then you try to bluff out 3/2s, and/or jam a Global Food Initiative out when you see a scoring window. When people talk about 'real' Netrunner, this is typically the deck that people talk about playing against. It's fallen out of the meta recently because of the ability of the runner to bypass ICE and make lots of money. As a result, runners are far more able to get through glacier servers. Additionally, the runners are required to get set up so much faster because of other decks in the meta so they outpace glacier decks a lot, and the existence of Rumour Mill has hurt defensive upgrades a lot. This deck archetype is also played out of the other corps in New Angeles Sol, Palana Foods, and Blue Sun

SuperModernism/Jammy-Rushy: These are 2 different types of effectively the same type of deck. In set-up it's about getting a couple different types of gear-check etr ice in a scoring server, then jamming agendas out behind them, effectively trying to race the runner to get to 7 points. Supermodernism will usually get a bunch of bad publicity as a result, and so they try to threaten with kill as if the runner scores an agenda. It's not a strong archetype simply because the runners have a bunch of ways to get up their breakers quickly and contest that scoring remote and/or R&D and just steal agendas before the corp can score out enough agendas. Usually you can get to 6 points, and then you don't really have a strong server to score out of and you helplessly watch the runner score out.

Fast-Advance: This deck is no longer the monster that it was, but it's still pretty strong. Played out of HB instead of NBN now, the deck focuses on cards like Jeeves Model Bioroids, Team Sponsorship and Advanced Assembly Lines to advance agendas from hand. Your set up is similar to jammy-rushy, putting cheap gear check ICE in front of centrals and putting one in front of Jeeves. Then you try to draw into your agendas. The key plays are things like Lateral Growth a Shipment from San-San, Advance with Jeeves, to fast-advance a 3/2. The reason why it's not super strong in the meta is because it does require set-up unlike it's predecessor. Its biggest weakness is also the biggest ID on the runner side meta. It is fairly strong deck that is built to rush the runner, and has a bunch of self-protection and doesn't require a lot of money. The deck is weak to temujin contract, because it leaves a bunch of open servers and has little in the way of punishing runs. If you're playing versus Temujin Whizzard, the trick is to hopefully have enough ICE to protect your centrals, then follow up with a bunch of expensive upgrades and assets to try and tax their money out. One of the big tricks is to rez advanced assembly lines to contest temujin contracts. Overwriting servers to make them waste 4 credits and a click is also a play that can be problematic for them.

Tag Storm: Played out of SYNC, this deck is all about landing a bunch of tags on the runner, which turns on a bunch of their cards. Cards like Hard-Hitting News, Breaking News makes it very taxing for the runner at 3 credits apiece. The latest iteration in the meta is firey info, which is all about scoring out a pair of Breaking News, or having Quantum Predictive models scored for you with a Data Raven in front of R&D. Then use 24/7 News Cycle to a QPM for a Global Food Initiative, or just straight up kill them with BOOM!. There are a bunch of combos with this deck, particularly with 24/7 News Cycle. The big ones are: 24/7-Closed Accounts- Hard Hitting News for 6 tags. 24/7-Exchange of Information- Closed Accounts. 24/7- Closed Accounts- Observe and Destroy, and the famous 24/7 Boom. It's fairly hard to play, and is countered mostly by Nexus Kate and Sunny, and if you can't get the combos out fast enough- Film Critic/New Angeles City Hall.

Last one I'll cover tonight, the King: TempoTag

Run out NBN:Controlling the Message, the deck is all about putting out assets and then punishing the runner for trashing them by giving them tags. There are a bunch of variations on this deck, but usually you want to see a Sensie Actors Union turn 1. You should be laying down as many assets as you can, protecting your sensie actor's union with the upgrade Mumbad Virtual Tour to force them to spend 5 credits trashing it, and taking a tag. If the runner has decided to go tag-me, you can then punish them similarly to SYNC, with Closed Accounts/Exchange of Information. The big tag combo is the infamous Psycho-Beale. This is where you install Project Beale and then play Psychographics to put a number of advancement counters up to the number of tags that the runner has, and then advance and score it. This can let them get a large amount of points, or even 7 points with 12 landed tags. It's biggest weakness is Siphon Whizzard, who doesn't care about tags, and if they don't have the requisite punishment, DLR MaXx. Nexus Kate can also give them issues, but unless the Kate player gets a really strong deck, they're not consistent about it.

There are a bunch of others, as Zephro mentioned, but these are probably the biggest ones in the meta.

I'll talk about runner archetypes tomorrow, because I spent way too much time on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On the same not, I'm actually fine with the way FFG does core sets. Yes, I would love if they did completion sets, but they have repeatedly stressed that a significant portion of the player base does not buy 3x Core + Everything. Making the game approachable by buying one box is a significant portion of the model, even if those players aren't on every ANR message board they can find and listening to three podcasts a week.

While I would like everything in one box I'm fine with having to get two. However the third box for Netrunner to get just two cards (Desperado and Sansan) is kinda hosed up and wasteful.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Get Opening Moves as soon as you can for Jackson. But don't let us dissuade you from expanding where you want. We're chawing on about community-hoped-for-but-wholly-unsubstantiated rumors. Buy the cards you want to buy and don't let the very loud, very top-end of the player base influence you too much.

I would honestly recommend getting the HB world championship deck over Opening moves: the world champ deck has a bunch of good cards that are slated to rotate (so you can play with some of the better cards from genesis/spin without buying a dozen packs), and a bunch of sweet full art copies of cards that will stay tournament legal, so if your goal is to try and avoid purchasing too many cards which are up for rotation in the next year, it's a pretty good way to get a play set of a card (Jackson Howard) that right now will make your corp decks a lot better and more fun to play.

Edit: the world championship deck will also probably be easier to find in a store as well.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 29, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You know what I wish more people would think up? Good Duel Decks.

This is what got me thinking of them: the Mean Streams of New Angeles Duel Decks (Runner / Corp). These decks look pretty balanced against each other, and use a lot of cards that are normally worthless in regular play but shine in this specific circumstance.

As someone who usually has to build both decks to try to get my friends to play at all, I find these pretty cool. And yeah, I know about the Worlds Decks, but those don't have the neat subpar cards that the above deck ideas have and make work well.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for all the words guys. Those are some useful posts. I know the best thing is to just play games but I don't get to play as much as I'd like.

I play a lot with a friend who doesn't have the game, so yeah, decks that work well with each other are a good idea. I got the Worlds Champ decks, but we both know those decks pretty well now so games with those decks are kind of a slog as we both try to disrupt each other's play as much as possible.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

jeeves posted:

This is what got me thinking of them: the Mean Streams of New Angeles Duel Decks (Runner / Corp). These decks look pretty balanced against each other, and use a lot of cards that are normally worthless in regular play but shine in this specific circumstance.

As someone who usually has to build both decks to try to get my friends to play at all, I find these pretty cool. And yeah, I know about the Worlds Decks, but those don't have the neat subpar cards that the above deck ideas have and make work well.

Oh my god yes please.

Tucson does not have anything vaguely resembling a Netrunner scene anymore. So if I want to play, I have to treat it like a board game and set the matchup myself. Having a good set of "these decks work well against each other" would be a godsend.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

krakagar posted:

Thanks for all the words guys. Those are some useful posts. I know the best thing is to just play games but I don't get to play as much as I'd like.

I play a lot with a friend who doesn't have the game, so yeah, decks that work well with each other are a good idea. I got the Worlds Champ decks, but we both know those decks pretty well now so games with those decks are kind of a slog as we both try to disrupt each other's play as much as possible.
You know about Jinteki.net, right? If you don't have opponents nearby then you can play on there instead for some variety, or even just spectate some games for an idea of how different decks work.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

You know about Jinteki.net, right? If you don't have opponents nearby then you can play on there instead for some variety, or even just spectate some games for an idea of how different decks work.

Yeah. I've tried jinteki a few times but I just can't get into it. I find it much harder to keep track of what's going on, and you either have to zoom in and scroll around to be able to see all the information or else be zoomed to far out. I find it really stressful and not much fun to play online. Not having physical cards in front of me makes it much harder for me to judge the state of the board, and I end up just playing my own deck a lot more, rather than trying to guage what my opponent is doing. Plus, I assume that I'm just being too slow and annoying and doing everything wrong and that I'm annoying my opponent /:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

krakagar posted:

I find it much harder to keep track of what's going on, and you either have to zoom in and scroll around to be able to see all the information or else be zoomed to far out.

When you hover over a card it pops up a larger version of the card in the corner of the screen.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Alright, time to do Runner Archetypes

First off is Good Stuff Criminal- this is basically most criminals. It's all about making advantage from runs, so John Masanori, Temujin Contract, Desperado etc. The deck is mostly run out of Andromeda due to her ability to her exceptionally strong start. It can also be run out of Leela Patel due to her massive tempo hits on the corp, which she can capitalize on to set up. Not a lot of big tricks here, but even if you have an open R&D (You will never see an open HQ) put the Temujin contract over achives. This puts the corp into a catch-22, let you get up to 25 credits or commit ICE onto archives which keeps R&D open for runs. With the existance of Temujin Contract, it's seen a bit of upswing in the meta in Andy Sucker, which uses data sucker and the anarch static breakers to barge through servers very cheaply, and medium dig to crush though. Other big tricks with deck, Sec testing on R&D or HQ will still trigger turning wheel counters, so if you can get into those servers for negative money with sec testing, go ahead and put in on those.

Nexus decks- usually run out of Kate- rely on the security nexus card to break through servers incredibly cheaply by bypassing expensive to break Ice. It's an incredibly oppressive deck versus NBN due to the fact that it turns all of their tracer ICE blank. Artist colony and Fan site punish early game scoring for the Corp, because it lets you get set up early. You also can threaten clot to prevent the corp from fast-advancing out cards, and then barge in and score that card that they just tried to score out. When you're totally set up, it's incredibly difficult for the corp to stop you. There's a great primer on the deck here. It explains how to play the deck archetype far better than I could.

Cams- This is a deck run out of Hayley and Geist and is all about utilizing Replicator and Bazaar to get out 6 spy cameras very quickly, and putting a bunch of money on Technical Writers. Geist is the better of the two archetypes and is the one that has survived in today's meta. The big thing about Spy Camera is that it lets you R&D lock without actually needing to run, so you trash a spy camera- Make 3 credits and a draw a card with Tech Traders and Geist's ability). If it's an agenda, run and steal it, if it's not you can check HQ if you're unsure of the cards there. Once all 6 spy cameras are out you'll probably not have many cards left in your deck so you play Levy AR Lab Access and do it all over again. It's the same thing with Kate. Once it's up and running, it's an excpetionally difficult deck to shut down, but it can be done. Breaking News into The All-Seeing I can destroy their economy and make it incredibly difficult for them to set back up again. It's still an exceptionally strong deck against glacier and slower decks however.

Tag-Me Anarch/Hate Bear: Despite the fact that this deck takes tags like no tomorrow, this is probably Controlling the Message's biggest nightmare. Using Obelus to increase your total handsize, Account Siphon to drain their money, and trashing all their assets and ICE without worrying about taking that tag means that CtM- and indeed most of Yellow- is already put on the back foot with this. DDoS-Account Siphon is a massive tempo hit to the corp and puts them on the back foot right from turn 1. You usually want to try and mulligan for the account Siphon. The deck uses Faust and the cutlery cards (Forked, Spooned, Knifed) to destroy the corp's ICE ruthlessly and efficiently, then Medium Digging for the win. The big combos with the deck are DDoS Account Siphon and the Infamous Obelus/Hades Shard. The Obelus/Hades Shard combo is something that was never intended by the designers of the game. Because Hades Shard lets you access all cards in archives, and Obelus lets you draw a number cards equal to the cards that you accessed on a successful run of R&D or HQ, you get to draw a number of cards equal to the cards that are in archives. Late game, this can mean 10-15 cards that you have in your hand, which lets you Cutlery through the Corp's ICE like it's not big deal while you go in for a massive double or triple medium dig on the next turn. Instead of Medium, I have also seen Keyhole used to kill corp cards and enable the Hades/Obelus Combo even further.

Dyper: This is a Combo deck that is played out of Hayley or Kate. It uses DDoS and False Echo to bounce a bunch of ICE back to the corp's hand, while making Keyhole runs with 15 clicks because they use Beth Kilrang-Cheng, All-Nighter and 3 Hyperdrivers to win the game. Playing versus this deck is basically a race to get to 7 points before the runner gets set up. The biggest thing that can hurt this deck is Executive Boot Camp or Acclerated Beta Test to keep pieces of ICE rezzed on HQ, R&D and the scoring server, otherwise the runner will Escher you and destroy your deck and score out with Rumour mill so they can't Jackson Howard away the agendas that you just milled out of the deck. Watch This video to see a dyper Kate deck being played and playing around a decent Accelerated Beta Test combo. If you play this deck, get ready for people to get mad at you online and claim 'Not-runner' because it is so strong.

Temujin-Anarch: This deck is all about making super cheap runs using Ice carver, Net-Ready Eyes and the static breakers to crush through expensive servers. Using Grimoire to solve memory issues, the deck will use Paperclip, Yog.0, Mimic as it's breaker and medium as its win condition. The deck uses Temujin Contract to make a bunch of money and to force the corp to put ICE over archives, then bust through other servers. The big combo set up is ICE Carver, Net Ready Eyes and a data sucker to break through basically every piece of ICE in the game for fairly cheap or free, in the case of code gates. An exceptionally strong deck that also has the additional benefit of usually being run out of whizzard to pressure asset spam. Once up, there is little that the corp can do aside from make a bunch of money and try and fast advance out agendas to win, because no server is safe.

DLR: Arguably the most degenerate of decks, the deck uses Data Leak Reversal to mill out the corporation. It won world's last year, came in second this year, and won the American National Championships this year. Using Wireless Net Pavilion and Fall guy to protect the resources, Using Account SIphon or Paparazzi to get tagged, and then proceed to mill out the corp. With Wireless Net Pavilion and 3 Fall guys, it costs the corporation 16 credits and 4 clicks to trash Data Leak reversal- assuming that they only have 1 DLR out, if there's more, that even more that's needed to trash the deck. This is the world champion deck and just completely crushes a lot of decks in the Meta. This is usually played out of MaXx now, but it was originally out of Valencia. It's such a brutally oppressive deck that a lot of people will just concede rather than play out the game online. A Sunny variant has been making the rounds recently that makes it even more brutal, because it generates a tag clicklessly at the beginning of the turn with John Masanori/Security Nexus and Jak Sinclair, and then clears it with Citadel Sanctuary. Don't play this sort of deck in a casual setting, because people will get really annoyed at you, and it's not a lot of fun to play against as you realize you have no recourse to winning.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is it too early to call Smoke/Stealth a thing? I'm considering routes of expansion (small playgroup just starting out), and the net mercur/smoke synergy seems really fun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boxman posted:

Is it too early to call Smoke/Stealth a thing? I'm considering routes of expansion (small playgroup just starting out), and the net mercur/smoke synergy seems really fun.

She's literally in the card art. It's absolutely supposed to be a thing, and it shits all over any glacier strategy. Loses hard to anything with a bit of speed behind the idea of scoring out, though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Martial Law Corp spoilers

HB:

Fairchild (unique)
ICE: Codegate- Bioroid-AP
9 Cost, 8 strength, 5 influence
Etr unless runner pays 4
Etr unless runner pays 4
etr unless runner trashes installed card
etr unless the runner take 1 brain

Friends in High Places
Operation-Terminal
2 cost, 2 inf
Install 2 cards from archives, paying all costs

Manta Grid (unique)
Upgrade: Region
1 rez, 5 trash, 1 inf
When there is a successful run on this server, you have an extra click to spend on your next turn if the runner has less than 6 credits or no clicks left

Jinteki:
Mind Games
ICE: Code Gate- Psi- Deflector
0 rez- 4 str- 3 inf
Play a psi game, if the corp and runner have a different number of credits, choose another server. The runner is now running on that server instead of passing Mind Games. For the rest of this run, the runner must add 1 installed card under their stack as an additional cost to jack out.

Nihongai City Grid{unique)
Upgrade- Region
1 rez, 5 trash, 2 inf
Whenever a successful run is made on this server, if the runner has less than 6 credits or 2 cards in hand, you can look at the top 5 cards of R&D and exchange one of those cards with a card from HQ.

NBN:
Thoth(Unique)
ICE: Sentry- Tracer
7 cost, 6 strength, 3 inf
When the runner encounters Thoth, give the runner 1 tag
Trace4- if successful, inflict 1 net damage for each tag the runner has
trace 4- if successful, the runner loses one credit for each tag

Neutral:
Demonstation of Force
Agenda
4 advancement, 2 points
When you score demonstation of force, deal 2 meat damage

Curfew
Neutral: Operation- Current
Cost 0
The runner's maximum hand size is reduced by one

Previously spoiled cards omitted.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Oh boy, more ice that tags me when I encounter it. :smithicide:

I mean, it's expensive, yeah, but UGH.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

These conditional regions seem underwhelming.

Curfew: For When You Just Want To Trash Runner Currents

The ice seems surprisingly playable. Maybe it's only surprising because I never see anyone play Wotan.

No one will ever play Demonstration of Force. If you want a neutral 4/2, Corporate Sales Team is a thing. Assuming you don't have room for NAPD Contract.

Friends in High Places seems like a good answer to all the ice destruction going around.

EDIT: Okay, maybe Curfew has a place in a flatline deck. It turns Chief Slee into a lethal blow, and Jinteki can combo it with Chairman Hiro for a Ronin kill.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

berenzen posted:

Alright, time to do Runner Archetypes

*helpful stuff*

Thanks for these. I fell like I've been getting the hang of the game recently but still wasn't clear on a bunch of archetypes. Thankfully my 'local' Reading group are a fun bunch who play with a lot of variety, so outside of Worlds practice I haven't come up against many of the good-but-not-fun ones.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On the same not, I'm actually fine with the way FFG does core sets. Yes, I would love if they did completion sets, but they have repeatedly stressed that a significant portion of the player base does not buy 3x Core + Everything. Making the game approachable by buying one box is a significant portion of the model, even if those players aren't on every ANR message board they can find and listening to three podcasts a week.

Sure, except the actual card production cost is a tiny proportion, and the Core set has some truly unplayed cards. Core 2.0 could easily be culled with the cards they want to for design reasons, as well as the flat 'bad' and bulked back up with staples from Genesis & Spin and still have room to make it 3x SSCG or whatever. The fact they choose to actively not do that means no matter what they say, they're happy to fish the dedicated playerbase for multiple core sets.

E: Vague list, obviously subjective but I've tried to be conservative, and give some 'middling' options the benefit of the doubt -

Warp Design Space:
Noise
Parasite (Maybe)
Desperado
Kate (Maybe)
ETF
Astroscript Pilot Program (Less so since the errata)
Breaking News (Pretty much top of this list.)

Just Bad (or have been entirely supplanted by better options and never see play):
Wyrm
Lemuria Codecracker
Aurora
Ninja
Decoy
Pipeline
Crypsis
Experiential Data
Zaibatsu Loyalty
Neural Katana
Matrix Analyzer
Security Subcontract
Research Station

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 30, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A second Desperado would not have made the game less approachable.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Tirranek posted:

Thanks for these. I fell like I've been getting the hang of the game recently but still wasn't clear on a bunch of archetypes. Thankfully my 'local' Reading group are a fun bunch who play with a lot of variety, so outside of Worlds practice I haven't come up against many of the good-but-not-fun ones.
You can go another conceptual step up and look at win conditions, too. Runners almost always win by getting accesses (almost always because just occasionally you can deck the Corp). So one decision is where are you going to get those accesses from? Are you going to run Medium or RDI or Indexing and focus on pillaging R&D? Are you going to make surgical runs on scoring remotes to snipe agendas as they go through? Are you going to run HQI or Legwork and try to hit HQ when it's dense with agendas? Are you going to run Noise or DLR and make Archives your server of choice? Or are you going to run two or even three strategies, and can you do that without diluting your deck too much? Are you going to go for lots of frequent accesses and aim to run most or every turn, or are you going to make targeted sniping runs when you know it's profitable to do so? Or are you going to set up a board that lets you have a single gigantic glory turn?

Most runner decks pick one of those and use a bunch of different sub-strategies to make it happen.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 30, 2016

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Zephro posted:

You can go another conceptual step up and look at win conditions, too. Runners almost always win by getting accesses (almost always because just occasionally you can deck the Corp). So one decision is where are you going to get those accesses from? Are you going to run Medium or RDI or Indexing and focus on pillaging R&D? Are you going to make surgical runs on scoring remotes to snip agendas as they go through? Are you going to run HQI or Legwork and try to hit HQ when it's dense with agendas? Are you going to run Noise or DLR and make Archives your server of choice? Or are you going to run two or even three strategies, and can you do that without diluting your deck too much? Are you going to go for lots of frequent accesses and aim to run most or every turn, or are you going to make targeted sniping runs when you know it's profitable to do so? Or are you going to set up a board that lets you have a gigantic glory turn?

Most runner decks pick one of those and use a bunch of different sub-strategies to make it happen.

Yeah I tend to plan things out a bit vaguely, so that's good to know!

At the moment I'm playing a Silhouette Blackmail version that I've tweaked a little and it's quite fun. Very much the targeted run style you mentioned.

As for Corp, mostly on principle I've started trying a Blue Sun glacier with a bit of jankiness in the form of Off the Grid and Crisium Grid for late game scoring.

Must say playing Weyland, while a struggle sometimes, gels with me a lot more than NBN tag'n'bag.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jeeves posted:

https://runthenet.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/recommended-teachinglearning-decks/
My local scene died so I basically keep these six decks built for casual play, they're really good hand have decent matchups with each other

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

She's literally in the card art. It's absolutely supposed to be a thing, and it shits all over any glacier strategy. Loses hard to anything with a bit of speed behind the idea of scoring out, though.

I can't decide whether I should make fun of the chess suite or bitch about Caprice getting murdered by Rumor Mill

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

I can't decide whether I should make fun of the chess suite or bitch about Caprice getting murdered by Rumor Mill
It's a shame that Red Herrings is one of the few NBN cards that isn't really good :v:

edit: I tried making an economic warfare deck out of Sol that ran Scarcity, Tollbooth, Turnpike, NAPD, MVT, Red Herrings, Reversed Accounts etc and it worked decently well against Stealth. It's less good (read: terrible) against any deck with Temujin or Opus, but ehh.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 30, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Red Herrings doesn't have psi games and is therefore Bad.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

berenzen posted:

Martial Law Corp spoilers

Jinteki:
Mind Games
ICE: Code Gate- Psi- Deflector
0 rez- 4 str- 3 inf
Play a psi game, if the corp and runner have a different number of credits, choose another server. The runner is now running on that server instead of passing Mind Games. For the rest of this run, the runner must add 1 installed card under their stack as an additional cost to jack out.

Hey, it's a cheaper Bullfrog with a stronger effect which doesn't even make the ICE stop protecting the server!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Here lies Bullfrog, it never scored.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Legends told of a Jinteki executive who ordered Akitaro Watanabe to set up a Whirlpool/Komainu/Cell Portal server and force the runner to Bullfrog into it. We have only apocryphal stories, but it could never be proven... until now.

E: Is autocard anywhere throwing up red boxes for anyone else the last few days?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 30, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Am I understanding Baba Yaga correctly in that if you installed Faerie and Yog on it you'd have a code gate breaker that costs 1 credit per 1 strength to pump and 0 credits to break code gate subs? Or Corroder and Shrike for ultra-efficient sentry breaking?

edit: actually I misremembered Faerie's trash requirement, so turns out you can break Sentry subs for 0 as well. Then all you gotta do is run Corroder or Paperclip and you're all set. Admittedly you're spending quite a bit of influence, and Keegan Lane / Batty / Will O'The Wisp all make you a sad panda, but still.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Baba Yaga is a fun card. It makes me wish this game was still about ice and ice breakers.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also why is Show of Force not a Weyland card, I mean come on. They already missed the boat twice with PriSec and Best Defence which are as Weyland-flavoured as you can possibly get but are inexplicably neutral.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Because Weyland's only purpose in the game is to be an influence sink for NBN.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

Also why is Show of Force not a Weyland card, I mean come on. They already missed the boat twice with PriSec and Best Defence which are as Weyland-flavoured as you can possibly get but are inexplicably neutral.

I think they want a pmc Corp to exist, but can't reveal it until they get a big box shipped, so all these borderline weyland toys get made neutral so they can be imported to a GlobalSec Corp next year

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Of all the things the game needs I don't think more factions is one of them. Also Weyland already has PMCs with Argus.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There won't be any more factions. The runner mini-fcations are barely supported as it, imagine how shoddy a GlobalSec or Melange Mining mini-fcation would be.

Zephro posted:

Am I understanding Baba Yaga correctly in that if you installed Faerie and Yog on it you'd have a code gate breaker that costs 1 credit per 1 strength to pump and 0 credits to break code gate subs? Or Corroder and Shrike for ultra-efficient sentry breaking?

edit: actually I misremembered Faerie's trash requirement, so turns out you can break Sentry subs for 0 as well. Then all you gotta do is run Corroder or Paperclip and you're all set. Admittedly you're spending quite a bit of influence, and Keegan Lane / Batty / Will O'The Wisp all make you a sad panda, but still.

Baba Yaga is four MU so unless you're running the greatest jank setup alive out of Smoke or something I don't see it catching on. Pulling it off would be pretty hilarious, though!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Had a whike to get back on jinteki.net in the past few days. Game is still fun, yo.

It's a bit oa shame security nexus is the caer of the month tearing tough the inbred meta of jinteki.net, as I found nexus andy to be a really fun deck to pilot! The sort of criminal with late game legs style Adam was supposed to be.

While I've always considered Rebirth a top Anarch sideboard, it really does a lot of work in criminal too. At least for this sort of deck, which is sort of general purpose. Iain, Leela and Nero work really neat as sideboard picks you can adapt to situation at hand and help you bridge the gapto getting your expensive rig out, either by making GBS threads out cash or helping slow the corp down.

On the corp side, I hosed around with some troll/fun police decks, harvesting pubbie tears and having little inspiration for a "real" deck. Eventually, thinking on how to deal with Whizzard and security nexuses at the same time (as well as very shaper running film critic and na, breaking my little yellow heart), my attention was drawn to the plucky old New Angeles Sol.

I never really gave it a go - it always seemed a sort of TWIY-tier underwhelming ID and I never really saw much interesting done with it, with most decks online amounting to 3x targeted marketing in terms of the currents.

Well, it turned out Sol is precisely the ID I wanted to play in a long time, but did not know about it. I'm seriously impressed. And not only because it pleasurably tickles my memories of pre-NEH NBN.

The way it interacts with Targeted Marketing is amazing, as having no cred cost you can basically retarget it every few turns to ensure your pick is never dead (it pays to check out if they've tossed out). And it's currently ridiculously easy to both read runner's econ set up (hello, Temujin) and quickly determine which flavor of the week rig they're going for. Eventually, my continued iterations eliminated all but one side-current (I really can't overstate how easy it is to troll with TarMar on jinteki right now), but I regret nothing.

Also, when mulliganing into 1 ice and tarmar, the desperate move to lock r&d and pick account siphon turns out a way better bluff than it has any right to be.

Said side-current is 1xSurveillance Sweep, as a sort of anti-nexus tech. While my main plan against these is mix sansan FA with various harrassment (say, breaking news into all seeing eye) and locking rabbit holes/power taps with TarMar to win before they set up properly, it's a really sweet way to turn the table on the runner.

News Hounds, while never striking me as particularly exciting, turn out to have some really sweet value for money indeed. Great gearcheck, great tax and their cheapness makes it trivial to stack them to further infuriate Faust/Mongoose/Switchblade users who already overpay it for breaking these fellas.

Really now I'm just waiting for peeps to jump harder on the Smoke bandwagon and away from CtM-induced NBN to be able to properly toy with some other poo poo. Media Blitz/Datapook/Aryabhata(/Manhunt) should be sweet to port into here. Clones would be so trivial to score. And recurring free Predictive Algorithm could make for some pretty sweet troll deck, given less critics et al.

What I'm trying to say, Sol is deceptively cool and fun, don't be like the old me and give it a go!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm a sucker for Glacier NBN so I might give Sol a try now that Spark's unable to really impact a runner anymore. Plus currents are some of my favorite design space (gently caress Rumor Mill though) so I'll give it a shot.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

The Deleter posted:

I'm a sucker for Glacier NBN so I might give Sol a try now that Spark's unable to really impact a runner anymore. Plus currents are some of my favorite design space (gently caress Rumor Mill though) so I'll give it a shot.

This is my current iteration. It's kinda experimental in that Midseasons/Psycho was a late addition (for both leveraging the general wealth of this deck and further punish tagme obelus fools/disrespect of TarMar). It seems to work out, but I'm not sure it's worth stretching the ICE somewhat thin (kinda miss the 2x Resistor 2x Quicksand barrier setup):

quote:

3 SanSan City Grid
1 Keegan Lane
1 Closed Accounts
2 Restructure
2 Blue Level Clearance
1 Surveillance Sweep
1 Exchange of Information
1 Tollbooth
1 Psychographics
1 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Archangel
3 Targeted Marketing
1 Archived Memories
3 Breaking News
2 Data Raven
1 Midseason Replacements
1 Turnpike
3 News Hound
3 Sweeps Week
3 Global Food Initiative
3 Jackson Howard
1 The All-Seeing I
3 Project Beale
3 Resistor
3 Hedge Fund

In own experiments, feel more than free to go down to 2 Jacksons - between glacierness and ability for early scoring agenda floods ain't a big deal, and the Jackies are mostly useful for card draw (this I need strongly) + maybe baiting extra runs through my sole remote.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sol has been a solid T1.5 ID ever since it was printed. It's won several UK store champs. Also News Hound isn't boring, it's an insanely good piece of ICE that's Sol's secret ID ability. ETR on sentries is rare enough but it has another good sub and is 4 str for 2 credits, which is a better str/cost ratio than even Archer.

The only reason Sol isn't really played competitively at the moment is the same reason so few other Corp IDs are played: CTM is so absurdly strong.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Only 3 more years of CtM :v:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

berenzen posted:

Only 3 more years of CtM :v:
I dunno what they were thinking, especially since it came right after they'd printed the political assets. It would be a really good ID if it had been Trace 2, let alone 4. They could at least have left the "can't be avoided" off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The "can't be avoided" seems like a deliberate tweak; it's not a common enough phrase to be used without reconsideration of the card. I wonder what they had in mind that convinced them of the term's inclusion.

• Locked thread