Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

This was good reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dude unironically used the expression lizard brain

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

Sam Hinkie confirmed Reptilian

Maybe that's why he can't deal with people as though they're actually people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He will probably be a gm next year so way more opportunity to make fun of him

Going to Silicon Valley and hanging with tech bros was pretty in character

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
"How Many Open Shots is “Normal?”: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2016/11/30/how-many-open-shots-is-normal/

This is Pels focused but is a good, short article that does what the title implies

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
As much as I support the Process, Hinkie didn't really do anything to justify his "disrupter" label. He just tanked really hard because the 76ers were really really bad, had no assets, the ping pong balls didn't go their way and none of their picks blossomed.

Can anyone think of something crazy that Hinkie did as GM?

Edit: For example I think Pritchard's 2006 draft day trades for Roy and Aldridge were crazier and more unheard of at the time than anything Hinkie did.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 30, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Traded the roy and starting pg for a pick which may convey in 3 years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hinkie got ownership to seemingly be ok with being really bad for a long time. That is pretty crazy.

e: also wasn't he the first guy to do the "reverse protected pick" thing? I can't remember.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought the most jarring thing about the Hinkie piece is that he is dually the grinder type guy from Oklahoma and a new age disrupter

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

Traded the roy and starting pg for a pick which may convey in 3 years.

Anything for MCW was good value. I know you know this, I'm just not about to miss an opportunity to say how much I dislike watching him play ball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Traded Evan turner for some magic beans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time posted:

Anything for MCW was good value. I know you know this, I'm just not about to miss an opportunity to say how much I dislike watching him play ball

It was "crazy" thing for an NBA gm to do. Trade your young talent for a pick in the future ??? You are supposed to be building that talent.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

I had a college biology course use the triune brain model less then 10 years ago. I thought it was generally understood to be, like most complicated science, an oversimplification, a useful introductory metaphor to the functionings of the brain but less accurate the more it's examined? I guess I've mostly seen it used as a sorta substitute for older religious-ish stuff like "our base instincts", biological impulses that can conflict with sense and morality? Is it politicized now or something?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I like that the "why do we watch basketball front to back" question has a very obvious answer, which is that basketball is a path dependent sport

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

It was "crazy" thing for an NBA gm to do. Trade your young talent for a pick in the future ??? You are supposed to be building that talent.

I think it was probably crazy to the viewing public more than other NBA people. A lot of people were dumping on him as one of the worst ROY guys ever. I can't find the article anymore but I remember an exec saying his arc would be like tyreke evans but even less impressive

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Basketball backwards would be a lot of people force grabbing balls and pulling them out of hoops.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Basketball backwards would be a lot of people force grabbing balls and pulling them out of hoops.
And every game ends in a scoreless tie.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

smh he hated Evan Turner so much he had to 100% make sure he left town.

And then Portland went and did the exact opposite and sent the private jet for him and then a helicopter to pick him up from the airport smh. Fools rush in where Hinkie dares to tread.

Crazy Ted posted:

"Why do we watch basketball games front to back?” Hinkie asks. “Why not watch games back to front, or out of order?”

Are we sure Hinkie doesn't drug his own coffee?

I mean that quote is hilarious out of context, but "sequencing" bias in sports is a hell of a drug.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Time posted:

I think it was probably crazy to the viewing public more than other NBA people. A lot of people were dumping on him as one of the worst ROY guys ever. I can't find the article anymore but I remember an exec saying his arc would be like tyreke evans but even less impressive
Michael Carter-Williams, Tyreke Evans, and Ricky Rubio are living proof that it doesn't matter what other aspects of the game you're good at if you can't shoot the ball at even a slightly-below-average rate from any spot on the floor.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Doltos posted:

I hope Hinkie's quest makes him realize that athletes and agents are people and not numbers on a spreadsheet.

Nobody thinks this. He just didn't think their feelings should have much of an effect on decision-making.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Crazy Ted posted:

Michael Carter-Williams, Tyreke Evans, and Ricky Rubio are living proof that it doesn't matter what other aspects of the game you're good at if you can't shoot the ball at even a slightly-below-average rate from any spot on the floor.

please don't lump pretty ricky into the same group as those two crimes against basketball committing jerks

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Crazy Ted posted:

And every game ends in a scoreless tie.

Defense wins championships.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I get the idea of thinking MCW would come good. Tall point guard, good passer, projected to be an elite defender. Lots of young players can't shoot but at least figure it out a little bit. He's gotten a little better at shooting from just outside rim range since his rookie season, but literally nowhere else. It's kind of weird to see someone with a center's shooting splits playing point guard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

There is inherent sequencing bias in sports because what happens is inherently based on what has already happened

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
After seeing how Riley and other GMs treated their guys, driving a guy you just traded to the airport actually seems like a pretty standup thing to do. A lot of guys who are in a power position like that go to great lengths to avoid confrontation.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Looks like you were right. Thunder offered $56m, Harden wanted $60m.

And the Thunder needed that $4m to rig bids for oil leases so they had to let him go.

I recall an article that talked about the fact that the contract they offered Harden would let them avoid the repeater penalty by another year, turning that 4 million into a 30+ million saving across the life of the contracts.

That's the problem with the tax. Its not the first year, but the repeater years than become untenable. At least its working.

Can anyone think of something crazy that Hinkie did as GM?

Rolling young players into future assets was legit unique. Most NBA fans aren't like us, so the idea of boiling every player down into a current/future salary weighted asset and then acting on it is very unique. Hinkie also completely doubled down into the "make any trade that brings you ahead asset wise, forget about fit" mentality. Other teams may have done that to an extent, but no team that I can think of did that for multiple seasons.

I mean, there is a reason other GMs don't do that, but Hinkie definitely stands alone in his approach.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I kinda want Hinkie to take over the Pels to see how he would build around Davis.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Once I made a joke in Hinkie's presence and he laughed, just like he was a non-robot human.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

MCW was a bad 23 year old PG that couldn't shoot and the pick was probably the 3rd most valuable future pick traded in the past 10 years (after the Nets 2 picks)

Similarly Evan Turner was 25 when he was traded.

If those players had been Favors and Giannis (two players from those drafts that took a long time to develop but were drafted really young), Hinkie would've probably held onto them and tanked with them and built around them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm talking about at the time it happened

Hinkie got amazing heat for the McW deal. Almost lost his job right there. It eventually did contribute as he lost the whole business side of the org with that deal.

Sure it was obvious a good deal for us goons with nothing to lose.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

Once I made a joke in Hinkie's presence and he laughed, just like he was a non-robot human.
was the joke machine learned?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

Rolling young players into future assets was legit unique. Most NBA fans aren't like us, so the idea of boiling every player down into a current/future salary weighted asset and then acting on it is very unique. Hinkie also completely doubled down into the "make any trade that brings you ahead asset wise, forget about fit" mentality. Other teams may have done that to an extent, but no team that I can think of did that for multiple seasons.

I mean, there is a reason other GMs don't do that, but Hinkie definitely stands alone in his approach.

True. I guess I see a lot of Hinkie's decisions as pretty standard NBA GM decisions that he was more or less forced into because the 76ers were a historically bad team with less of a future than a reality TV show starring Tim Duncan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He made them "historically" bad. That's the whole point .

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

smacking my lips at another did the process work conversation

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

He made them "historically" bad. That's the whole point .

I was talking about before he got there.

My argument is that if Morey or Presti would've been dealt that hand and ended up with Turner and Jrue and then MCW and Noel they would've done very similar things. I think other good GMs like Olshey, Myers or Buford might've done the same.

And if Hinkie would've had some young talent or hit a home run drafting he would've acted more like say Presti at OKC.

But maybe I'm underestimating Hinkie.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I was talking about before he got there.

My argument is that if Morey or Presti would've been dealt that hand and ended up with Turner and Jrue and then MCW and Noel they would've done very similar things. I think other good GMs like Olshey, Myers or Buford might've done the same. But maybe I'm underestimating Hinkie.

I think the individual deals might have happened (and, really, on the individual deal level Hinkie did a great job). I don't think Oshley, Myers or Buford would have made the totality of deals Hinkie did. I think that's what sets Hinkie apart.

On the other hand, those guys would have avoided the situation in the first place, but that's not on Hinkie. The process was birthed when the Bynum trade happened.

dokmo posted:

Please tell me it was a penis chart.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Does Buford make most of the roster decisions or does Pop do a lot of the GM work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They weren't historically bad when he got there.

The ownership knew they had to get a lot worse to get better. They were in the treadmill stage. So they found Hinkie and said they want to blow it up. He said he could do that for them. They let him have 2.5 years doing that. Then the league and silver got to the ownership and put a stop to it because it would be bad for the league if more teams tanked.

Now we are stuck with Bryan colangelo who appears to be an idiot. Hopefully Simmons and embiid are good enough to power the team even with a dumb gm.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Bynum deal wasn't Hinkie but you are right it lead the ownership to realizing they had to blow it up.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Time posted:

Yeah in hindsight it was a totally fine decision tbh, just in the grand context of Hinkie-ism every asset collection scheme is put under a microscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I listen to my audiobooks at like 1.2x-2x speed depending on the narrator and any faster than that is stupid and illegible and I doubt that anyone is absorbing concepts spat at Twista/auctioneer speeds. 3x is bizarre and makes me doubt the whole thing.

• Locked thread