Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
So yesterday I was doing the "Pilgrimage" side quest and ran into a bunch of mans and a mech at the cauthess disc blockade that hosed me up real bad so I left and expected to come back later to finish the quest, but when I came back after gaining a few levels the mech and mans were gone and the cauthess blockade was still up. Did I break something by running from that stuff when the quest originally told me to go there or does the blockade open later? The Pilgrimage side quest is "completed" in my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aw I didn't notice, there's a cute little picture of Coctura at Galdin Quay, just like with the Cid family in Hammerhead.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So the game is great, but it's also made me realise that the ridiculous parkour from Xenoblade X makes navigation in every other open world game pale in comparison.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sure, I'll take an extra 8 bucks back. :mmmhmm:

Thanks for the heads-up. It seems like a bug in their system when the price at launch is lower than the original preorder price. For deluxe it was 89.99 and would have been 71.99 after 20%, but at launch it was 76.99 and the discount only brought it down to the original 20% off price.

Item(s) Subtotal: $76.49
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Prime Savings: -$4.50
-----
Total before tax: $71.99

Check your invoices, folks. Another almost $11 coming back. Deluxe for $61 was a pretty good deal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zotix posted:

My god the loading for everything you do in this game is unbearable. I guess it's because I'm a member of PCMR and haven't touched a console in a year, but this loading sucks.

Yeah.... I'm debating getting an SSD instead of my 2TB in the old PS4 because these loading times are terrible. Another thing is just not doing fast travel which will trigger a loading screen...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, regarding the Road Trip DLC stuff that's not the weapons. They're key items. It's 50% off coupons for gas and lodgings (dunno if they're one time use) and a better camera for Prompto from what I can tell.

They're not one time use.

Better fishing rods and some extra lures, a "better" camera that drops a blue filter on everything, some key items which are handy, and some cooking ingredients so you don't have to buy them at first.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 30, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

qte

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just completed the first dungeon and I have to say, if the game can keep up dungeons of this quality, it's going to be a real tough FF to beat. Maybe it was because it was way after dark by the time I reached it but that place had some wonderfully creepy atmosphere, and if you didn't choose to warp back to the entrance immediately then you'd encounter some fun surprises.

Thus far this game is pretty drat great. I see the part where you're "supposed" to watch Kingsglaive but it's still pretty clear what's happening there.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I've sunk so many hours into this already. It's such a blast.

The only thing that bothers me is that the game looks REALLY blurry and muddy all the time. Does anyone else see that? I tried messing with as many settings as I could, but nothing seems to make it better.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I haven't noticed any glaring IQ issues on a new slim and 5 year old 1080p plasma.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's really obvious all the shortcuts they took to give the game a manageable frame rate. Characters' hair looks like it's partly trapped in the Phantom Zone. Shadows are messy. Aliasing is all over the place. The pop-in is bad enough to make distant textures look PSX quality.

Some of this might be alleviated in a future PC release, but I'm not letting it get to me for the time being.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Oxxidation posted:

It's really obvious all the shortcuts they took to give the game a manageable frame rate. Characters' hair looks like it's partly trapped in the Phantom Zone. Shadows are messy. Aliasing is all over the place. The pop-in is bad enough to make distant textures look PSX quality.

Some of this might be alleviated in a future PC release, but I'm not letting it get to me for the time being.

Yes, spot on. I've always been a "gameplay trumps graphics" gamer for the most part, so it's not a huge issue, I just didn't know if I could make it look any better. It doesn't matter in fights since everything moves so quickly.

I bought all the airstep upgrades and the airstep sword. Most fights are me warping around air murdering poo poo and the doing a death drop.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"Oh no, Noct! A dropship!"

*dualcast Thunder kills them all right as they land*

*repeat*

Time works the same way.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In fact, let me try out this PS4 recording thingie! My first youtube video, I'm so excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwql4aps-o

Ignis would be proud.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

How do you switch out techniques? I acquired some new ones from the Ascension grid and can't for the life of me figure out how to switch them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gear, the very first option.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All of the textures for road signs, billboards, clothing, food, crap in the minimart, etc. are in English. So in the Japanese version is it just a ton of English text everywhere?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yes, but anything remotely important will let you examine it and pop up a box with a translation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Finesse is a garbage rating for garbage people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Two questions:

1. Is FFXIV's music in this game? I'd love to listen to Under the Weight or Fallen Angel while crusin' with my bros.
2. What's the trick to fishing? I went to the first spot and caught a few fish (and then proceeded to try and feed a cat with it), but I caught a huge one that took forever to lower it's stamina and then my line broke before the fish was 50%.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm doing the quest "The Ever Elegant Regalia" and I feel like there's a certain monster the game is expecting me to beat that I should in no way be able to beat at this point. Dungeon spoilers:it's the level 52 rear end in a top hat in the Mines.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Secx posted:

Does this have ultimate/BIS weapons that are acquired through end-game sidequests? I loved those in previous FF.

Also are there optional super hard end-game bosses like Ruby/Emerald weapon in 7?

Prior to release some people at Squenix were joking about a 15 hour long post-game boss. Someone beat it in an hour which is "duh, no way you can make someone fight a thing for 15 real time hours" but at the same time there's a post game fight that takes a loving hour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm doing the quest "The Ever Elegant Regalia" and I feel like there's a certain monster the game is expecting me to beat that I should in no way be able to beat at this point. Dungeon spoilers:it's the level 52 rear end in a top hat in the Mines.

The item for that is just to the right of the lift you took to get into the mine, you never actually need to go in. In fact the mine is marked as a level 50 quest.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

The item for that is just to the right of the lift you took to get into the mine, you never actually need to go in. In fact the mine is marked as a level 50 quest.

Heh, trolled again.

That was a really cool dungeon and I think it's neat that you can wander in there and basically explore it at a low level. So far the game has been 2/2 in terms of cool dungeons. The guy who did the lighting engine needs a raise.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My evaluation of game after playing it for a few hours last night from a Redbox rental: Decent game, although as with games like MGS5 not a big fan of the whole "open world without a good reason for such" thing and feel that the game would have been better without it. Not going to buy it until it actually works on my TV though, playing with everything near the edge cut off because they ignore the PS4's screen size settings is just not going to work for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually groaned when I saw that the frog quest had a followup. First sidequest I'm actually tempted to skip.

Little things like that, and having to go all the way back to places like Galdean Quay to hand in quests, that are slowly killing my completionist side of things.

For those who've actually finished the game, how fast is AP accumulation for those deep skills that require like 333 AP to unlock? Or do I actually want to go grab those +AP acquisition skills in the Exploration part?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually groaned when I saw that the frog quest had a followup. First sidequest I'm actually tempted to skip.

Little things like that, and having to go all the way back to places like Galdean Quay to hand in quests, that are slowly killing my completionist side of things.

For those who've actually finished the game, how fast is AP accumulation for those deep skills that require like 333 AP to unlock? Or do I actually want to go grab those +AP acquisition skills in the Exploration part?

You can fast travel back to anywhere with a parking spot you've been to which cuts down that annoyance quite a bit.

The plus AP are nice but you gotta buy them early in the game to get any value from them given how slow they accumulate.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Should I care about the Road Trip DLC items if I didn't pre-order from Amazon? I'm guessing they'll most likely offer it through PSN eventually right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah the draw distance for shadows is way too low, once you notice its bad.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Jesus the big boss fights are held together with duct tape and string eh.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Is finesse just based on chaining attacks?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I like that all the story characters have names like Lunafreya Apollonia Vedalia and Gladiolas Ipsum Lorem and then all the NPCs I meet are just like "Cid" and "Dave"

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

seiferguy posted:

Two questions:

1. Is FFXIV's music in this game? I'd love to listen to Under the Weight or Fallen Angel while crusin' with my bros.

You can buy both Memories of FFXIV discs at the Lestallum Coernix station. You get Garuda's theme, the Chimera/Hydra relic fight theme, Titan's theme, the La Noscea battle theme and day field theme, the Thanalan night field theme, the Shroud's night theme, and the Diadem/airship theme.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Nothing from Heavensward though :saddowns:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I have gone into my FFXV experience blind; I haven't watched any of the anime episodes, I'm ignoring Kingsglaive for now, I haven't played A King's Tale, etc.

I'm just playing FFXV.

So far the game is... good, bordering on great; there's a lot of life and detail put into seemingly trivial elements of the world and the characters, and it makes everything feel more concrete and fully realized. Each character has a personality, and they all play off of one another in ways that are a little contrived but not annoyingly so. Ignis in particular stands out, since it'd be real easy for that character to just be the ~battle butler~ archetype and yet I like him much more than that? Also, I don't know if this is some emergent gameplay nonsense or part of the game's AI, but whenever I get into trouble, it is always Ignis who rushes to my aid first, either by physically body-blocking for me when I'm low on HP or by running over ASAP to hit me with a Rescue. He's great.

In terms of gameplay it reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles by way of FFXII. The world is big but not too big; it is also largely empty so far, which is disappointing. There aren't even that many enemy encounters in the wild to this point, which makes exploration feel slightly less challenging/worthwhile. Combat is fun but has weird elements of sluggishness built into it that detract from the experience; it is also a very easy game to this point, but I feel like that's largely because of how over-rewarded you get for doing things that aren't combat related (colossal amounts of EXP for basically fixing a guy's flat tire???)

Some of the better challenges I've undertaken are related to the Hunts, and I routinely take Hunts I'm underleveled for so I can really get into the guts of the game, and... it's good? Again, bordering on great, but not quite there. The large chunks of invincibility time you get when activating the tech bar trivialize a lot of enemy encounters, especially once you've gotten Regroup for Ignis and some of the sphere grid options that increase how fast the tech bar builds. The Link-Strikes are fun and cool, though they also feel strangely disruptive at times (Blindside Link-Strikes triggering canned animations and invincibility time seems like a weird decision), and Noctis himself is really fun to control - warping will never not be awesome.

My concerns, so far, can be pretty neatly summarized by how desperately it seems Squeenix wants me to like this game. Why is there a title-card type insert that says "THIS GAME IS FOR FANS AND FIRST-TIME PLAYERS!!!"? That's weird, right?

Some ticky tack poo poo:
1) Gladiolus especially, and really the whole rest of the party, are remarkably unsympathetic when Regis is apparently killed. They come off like huge jerks who have no empathy at zero hour of the event, and it's really jarring. Gladiolus even gets/makes a phone call shortly thereafter whereupon his sister's safety is confirmed, and he says something to the effect of "At least Iris is okay." Like, Noctis's dad just died and the kingdom is likely thrown into utter chaos, and nobody seems to give a poo poo except Noctis.
2) I'm worried that there's very little left for me to unlock in terms of combat - like I have basically everything I will ever get, minus maybe the ability to summon guys? I don't exactly why I'm worried about this, but I wonder if the "use combo that launches them into the air/launches me into the air, combo>airstep>combo forever and ever Amen" will eventually grow tiresome. Right now it is incredibly fun.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MMD3 posted:

Is finesse just based on chaining attacks?

Back attacks and parries

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I have gone into my FFXV experience blind; I haven't watched any of the anime episodes, I'm ignoring Kingsglaive for now, I haven't played A King's Tale, etc.

I'm just playing FFXV.

So far the game is... good, bordering on great; there's a lot of life and detail put into seemingly trivial elements of the world and the characters, and it makes everything feel more concrete and fully realized. Each character has a personality, and they all play off of one another in ways that are a little contrived but not annoyingly so. Ignis in particular stands out, since it'd be real easy for that character to just be the ~battle butler~ archetype and yet I like him much more than that? Also, I don't know if this is some emergent gameplay nonsense or part of the game's AI, but whenever I get into trouble, it is always Ignis who rushes to my aid first, either by physically body-blocking for me when I'm low on HP or by running over ASAP to hit me with a Rescue. He's great.

In terms of gameplay it reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles by way of FFXII. The world is big but not too big; it is also largely empty so far, which is disappointing. There aren't even that many enemy encounters in the wild to this point, which makes exploration feel slightly less challenging/worthwhile. Combat is fun but has weird elements of sluggishness built into it that detract from the experience; it is also a very easy game to this point, but I feel like that's largely because of how over-rewarded you get for doing things that aren't combat related (colossal amounts of EXP for basically fixing a guy's flat tire???)

Some of the better challenges I've undertaken are related to the Hunts, and I routinely take Hunts I'm underleveled for so I can really get into the guts of the game, and... it's good? Again, bordering on great, but not quite there. The large chunks of invincibility time you get when activating the tech bar trivialize a lot of enemy encounters, especially once you've gotten Regroup for Ignis and some of the sphere grid options that increase how fast the tech bar builds. The Link-Strikes are fun and cool, though they also feel strangely disruptive at times (Blindside Link-Strikes triggering canned animations and invincibility time seems like a weird decision), and Noctis himself is really fun to control - warping will never not be awesome.

My concerns, so far, can be pretty neatly summarized by how desperately it seems Squeenix wants me to like this game. Why is there a title-card type insert that says "THIS GAME IS FOR FANS AND FIRST-TIME PLAYERS!!!"? That's weird, right?

Some ticky tack poo poo:
1) Gladiolus especially, and really the whole rest of the party, are remarkably unsympathetic when Regis is apparently killed. They come off like huge jerks who have no empathy at zero hour of the event, and it's really jarring. Gladiolus even gets/makes a phone call shortly thereafter whereupon his sister's safety is confirmed, and he says something to the effect of "At least Iris is okay." Like, Noctis's dad just died and the kingdom is likely thrown into utter chaos, and nobody seems to give a poo poo except Noctis.
2) I'm worried that there's very little left for me to unlock in terms of combat - like I have basically everything I will ever get, minus maybe the ability to summon guys? I don't exactly why I'm worried about this, but I wonder if the "use combo that launches them into the air/launches me into the air, combo>airstep>combo forever and ever Amen" will eventually grow tiresome. Right now it is incredibly fun.

I think that first time player card at the beginning was nice. They really want people to like this game. Its been a rollercoaster.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

seiferguy posted:

Two questions:

There's only a couple ff14 songs in the game, but both of those made it in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I like that all the story characters have names like Lunafreya Apollonia Vedalia and Gladiolas Ipsum Lorem and then all the NPCs I meet are just like "Cid" and "Dave"

It really is fantasy shonen naming scheme where every important character's theme is clearly spelled out in their Latin derived name.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nothing from Heavensward though :saddowns:

Tabata!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saint Freak posted:

Noctis and Lunafreya are royalty, while Cid and Dave are some dudes out in the boonies.

• Locked thread