Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
D5 is the standard stuff yeah

You can use it on any electrical contacts you want. Inside pots, switches, sliders, anything. It's non conductive (so you don't have to worry about it shorting out electronics) and it's safe on plastics. Go nuts with it.

But if you spray too much, it'll pool and collect dust and dirt if you don't wipe away any excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BANME.sh posted:

D5 is the standard stuff yeah

You can use it on any electrical contacts you want. Inside pots, switches, sliders, anything. It's non conductive (so you don't have to worry about it shorting out electronics) and it's safe on plastics. Go nuts with it.

But if you spray too much, it'll pool and collect dust and dirt if you don't wipe away any excess.

Awesome.

I'll go hog wild on all the switches when I get home (ensuring no build up). I'll then find some Machine Oil (thinking this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sewing-Machine-Oil-4-oz/19398733).

I plan on spraying down the Record Spindle and the top bearing of the motor and then applying some of the above machine oil once it dries.

Does that sound like overkill?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seweing machine/all-purpose oil may be a little on the thin side.

The recommendation from Technics geeks is to use ISO 68 air compressor oil. It's the closest thing to the genuine Technics oil that was included with most of their turntables. I'm pretty sure the all-purpose oil would work just fine, though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Seweing machine/all-purpose oil may be a little on the thin side.

The recommendation from Technics geeks is to use ISO 68 air compressor oil. It's the closest thing to the genuine Technics oil that was included with most of their turntables. I'm pretty sure the all-purpose oil would work just fine, though.

Trying to find something from HomeDepot that matches. Going to go direct into the store to see what I find since it doesn't appear to label anything with ISO 68.

Thanks

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Dr.Caligari posted:

Won a local online auction;

I made out the equipment as:
Technics RS-TR333 dual cassette deck
JVC RX-505VTN Digital Stereo Receiver

Total cost: $11.50

Picked up my loot. Everything works, but missing the remote for the receiver. The speakers are Technics SB-LX7. They are super clean (just a little dusty) and and no speakers are blown to my suprise

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Picked up my loot. Everything works, but missing the remote for the receiver. The speakers are Technics SB-LX7. They are super clean (just a little dusty) and and no speakers are blown to my suprise

Those speakers are worth about $11.50. My first set of 'vintage' speakers was a fairly massive (but also hilariously light) pair of Technics SB-something or other that I got for -I think- $16 at a Goodwill next to a Bridgeport housing project.

IIRC, Technics speakers are widely considered to be pretty poo poo across the board. Panasonic/Technics have made a lot of great gear- TTs and receivers especially- but they've never been a distinguished speaker manufacturer.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I have those same speakers in my garage. They definitely aren't audiophile grade, but they aren't terrible, and sound decent with lower wattage receivers but can handle a decent amount of power if you don't crank it too loud.

But yeah, they aren't great. But they aren't the worst (and they are ridiculously light for their size).

Edit: now that I've checked, mine are actually SB-CR55's. A quick and dirty google comparison actually says those LX7's can handle more power (200w vs 140w), tho the minimum is the same (10w). Again, they aren't great speakers, but can get you by until you can get a better pair.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 17, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Those speakers are worth about $11.50. My first set of 'vintage' speakers was a fairly massive (but also hilariously light) pair of Technics SB-something or other that I got for -I think- $16 at a Goodwill next to a Bridgeport housing project.

IIRC, Technics speakers are widely considered to be pretty poo poo across the board. Panasonic/Technics have made a lot of great gear- TTs and receivers especially- but they've never been a distinguished speaker manufacturer.

They definitely made some pretty nuts speakers too. They were just a big company that majored in budget hi-fi in the 80s/90s and that's why there's so many of their cheaper things floating around. Their higher end offerings were, at the time, probably some of the best speakers (and other components) money could buy.

e:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-10000.html

For example. Only weighing in at 140kg.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 17, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got everything hooked up. Just waiting on the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgZ_kcsOhvM

A little crackling so I have some troubleshooting to do but so far it sounds awesome.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Picked up this beast of a receiver a month or so ago, the Realistic STA-2100.

http://classicreceivers.com/realistic-sta-2100

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man the green dials really pop on that thing. Looks awesome.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I got the speakers from the Death Star.

Collectors love these, so they are getting sold on to finance christmas presents.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe I'm a bit dense but when did facebook add a knockoff craigslist function if you swipe left in the app?

Some good deals from the looks of it. Not that I need more stuff.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I find Gumtree to be good for vintage audio stuff here in the north of England. Is Gumtree a thing in the US?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah I don't think so as it's essentially just a copy of craigslist which never took off in the UK. Gumtree is actually owned by eBay these days, because of course they have to have their fingers in every transaction people make.

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead
I'm having trouble with some popping and crackling on new records, I've just bought an ortofon 2m red and installed it on my Stanton turntable, but using it with brand new records is eliciting popping and crackling. If the problem is static and/or cleanliness, what products should I get to clean my records, i've been using a simple carbon fiber brush on old records, but have recently noticed it shedding needles and missing a considerable amount of dust, suggestions?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Wash them I guess. I've bought a lot of new records that have particles and stuff on them. I had a brush once and all it did was collect all the dust/debris into a line on the record and didn't actually lift it off the surface.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I've started spin cleaning and then storing my records in these antistatic sleeves (https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Record-Inner-Sleeves/dp/B001LQSFKY) and I've noticed a drop in static pops on my debut carbon.

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead
Yea, I just washed a couple with a solution of alcohol and water and they played a good bit better. I haven't tested this, yet, but I think my tone arm weight might need a bit of an adjustment, too. I think most of the products online, marketed for cleaning records are a bit dubious, a friend, who's owns and operates a record store just cleans his with that alochol/ water pairing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pask posted:

Yea, I just washed a couple with a solution of alcohol and water and they played a good bit better. I haven't tested this, yet, but I think my tone arm weight might need a bit of an adjustment, too. I think most of the products online, marketed for cleaning records are a bit dubious, a friend, who's owns and operates a record store just cleans his with that alochol/ water pairing.

This might sound basic but have you double-checked your stylus to make sure that there isn't a dust clod wedged on the cantilever or something?

It's weird but sometimes the switch to a different looking piece of gear means that our brain misses stuff when doing the usual trouble shoots.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've been looking for a cheap reel cassette forever, and finally got one for $1 at a flea market this weekend. It has some Norwegian country on it, but that doesn't matter, its job is to do spinning poo poo and look cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8FwmHKSviE

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, I miss the ridiculous mechanics and movements of old Bang & Olufsen gear. Their new stuff is so dour in comparison.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well be happy you're not dealing with this Beocord 7000. This video is pretty much the longest I've gotten it to work continuously before breaking down. All belts are replaced, so there pretty much isn't anything to do except to replace either the transport or the whole player.

The tape gets to sit behind the glass doors in my Ouverture, so I can look at it all the time.

New B&O gear is pretty dull, with the Beocenter 2 the newest thing I would like to own. After that it's all media streamers that are interchangeable with any Sonos gadget and will be outdated and unsupported in a few years.

Their TVs are nice, but so is any LG or Samsung using the same panel. However I do want the new Beovision Horizon, with THAT stand!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The wheeled stand? It's kinda old school, I like it

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Yep, the wheelstand! I love it!

And now:

BOOM, BITCHES!

Beolab Penta Mk1s that I got FOR FREE!

They are pretty scratched and scuffed, and one amp is dead, but I will convert them to Beovox, the 7000 system should have plenty of power to run them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was gonna ask whether the amps were dead or merely in the process of dying :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
To continue the B&O chat- I picked up a pair of Beoplay H2s on sale last week to use at work and I'm very pleased with them.

They're quite good $200 headphones but they're really excellent $120 headphones. Makes me curious to try the revised H6 that some 'headphone people' were hyping a few months ago.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To continue the B&O chat- I picked up a pair of Beoplay H2s on sale last week to use at work and I'm very pleased with them.

They're quite good $200 headphones but they're really excellent $120 headphones. Makes me curious to try the revised H6 that some 'headphone people' were hyping a few months ago.

Yeah, I paid $100 for my pair from some place that was dumping their stock, and for that price I love them. I would not pay $200 for them, they feel too flimsy for that pricepoint even if the drivers are great.

I see the H6s get great reviews, but I wonder how they would stack up against Sony MDR-1As which are really cheap here, VERY musical sounding and get great reviews.

But we do have a thread for headphone chat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evobatman posted:

Yeah, I paid $100 for my pair from some place that was dumping their stock, and for that price I love them. I would not pay $200 for them, they feel too flimsy for that pricepoint even if the drivers are great.

I see the H6s get great reviews, but I wonder how they would stack up against Sony MDR-1As which are really cheap here, VERY musical sounding and get great reviews.

But we do have a thread for headphone chat.

I know, I already posted about them there too :) . I just wanted to get in on the B&O Lovetrain Express a little bit. Every couple of months I get the desire to buy a Beogram on Craigslist before good sense(?) prevails and I think about cartridges. Any idea why that store was liquidating H2s? Are they about to be updated? :ohdear: They're still on the site as being on the bench, so I doubt they've been discontinued yet.

It's funny, I own a couple of headphones that are more expensive than the H2s, but these just 'feel' pleasantly different and special in a way that I don't really understand. They're just 'different' from other headphones in the $100-$300 range.

I don't know how much of that is the power of Bang and Olufsen's branding prowess and how much of it is the power of Bang and Olufsen's sound/industrial design sensibility.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It was an independent store that sells mostly pro gear, so the H2s probably didn't fit their business profile.

I have DT770s and access to my wifes MDR-1A, but I needed the H2s this summer for riding the bus to work, since the other two aren't very commute friendly.

Back in vintage stereo land, I pulled the amps off of the Pentas after many many trips to the hardware store to find the correct screws to reattach the bottom, so I now have glorious stereo from them, and they are a little better proportioned. It's too late to push them tonight, but I'll try giving them some stick this weekend. Sounds like the Beomaster 7000 is a good match.

Not sure what to do with the amps yet, maybe I'll fix them up or maybe I'll just dump them. There are limits to how much money I want to put into what's basically someone elses junk that I pick up just for fun.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Is there an iOS app you can use to scan the barcodes on your records for easy cataloging? I decided I want to take stock of all my stuff but I'll be damned if I have to type things in or put any effort into it

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Discogs

I think

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, I just checked.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

helsabot posted:

Is there an iOS app you can use to scan the barcodes on your records for easy cataloging? I decided I want to take stock of all my stuff but I'll be damned if I have to type things in or put any effort into it

Discogs does but barcodes didn't exist until the 80s, so you still have to put the info in for anything older.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I've installed the new belt into my Garrard and it ran slow for like 5 minutes then went back to normal.

Not sure what caused that. Maybe it just wasn't seated right at first?

Anyways, I'm now finding I'm only getting 1 Audio channel and I've ruled out my Receiver (Swapping the cable inputs change whether the left or right speaker is silent).

I'm thinking it's a bad Cable and I want to replace it in the Garrard. Should be an easy enough task but I have a silly question:

What's the safest way to turn this thing up side down without precious parts getting damaged? Should I remove the plate and belt and just put it upside down on it's dust cover? or do I have to take Everything off from the top before I start taking it apart.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

m.hache posted:

Should I remove the plate and belt and just put it upside down on it's dust cover?
Yep. Just make sure the arm is clipped in place, or tape it down if it doesn't stay that well. Oh, and put a towel under it so you don't scratch the dust cover.

edit: You might swap in a working headshell/stylus if you have one that fits. That will rule out a problem with that. Hopefully it's just the cables. My Garrard just has female plugs on the inside so you can swap it with regular RCA cables. Just make sure to use a relatively short cable.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Yep. Just make sure the arm is clipped in place, or tape it down if it doesn't stay that well. Oh, and put a towel under it so you don't scratch the dust cover.

edit: You might swap in a working headshell/stylus if you have one that fits. That will rule out a problem with that. Hopefully it's just the cables. My Garrard just has female plugs on the inside so you can swap it with regular RCA cables. Just make sure to use a relatively short cable.

I think it's the cables since moving them around sometimes cuts the speaker in and out.

It's an old set anyways so putting a new shiny pair in is likely ideal. Just any set of RCA's will do?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

m.hache posted:

I think it's the cables since moving them around sometimes cuts the speaker in and out.

It's an old set anyways so putting a new shiny pair in is likely ideal. Just any set of RCA's will do?

I'm not an expert but people do say you should use some high-quality, short cables since any noise introduced will be amplified way more than a cable further down the line would. Personally I've just replaced them with some cheap, newer, short RCA cables and didn't notice any difference.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Get a set of component video cables, and use two of the leads from that. They're usually inexpensive and specced for much more demanding video signals.

Low capacitance and impedance is what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Get a set of component video cables, and use two of the leads from that. They're usually inexpensive and specced for much more demanding video signals.

Low capacitance and impedance is what you want.

This seems to be the established Best Thing to do from those in the know, just from past web inquiries on the matter.

Unless you're sourcing cables from the original manufacturer or something like that.