Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Alright I've got a pair of Forma Lows arriving Tuesday. I think I'm going to spend a whole day inside before I scuff em up, to confirm fit and, uh, you know, replicate the riding/hiking environment.

I'm moderately sure I'm not gonna like them, or any boot of any type, since my general preferences have always run to the lightest thing possible with a knobbly sole and so my cankles probably have claustrophobia. What, they don't sell pairs of boots under 1 lb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Heavy is good. Heavy is sign of reliability.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

Thick socks over thin socks will stop almost all blisters and /or rubbing. Ask me about pouring blood out of my boot before I found this little tip out.

That's what I've been doing. Almost all of my thin socks are cotton though because I'm a cheap piece of poo poo and can't come to terms with the idea of spending ~£200 all at once on a drawerfull of new good underwear.

I've just bought two pairs of merino ones that specifically don't have those gross toe seams, hopefully that'll do me right.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
http://motoskiveez.com/shop-page/compression-riding-sock-with-aloe/

I'm pretty sure I posted a little writeup of these before, so I'll save you the wall of text. They do everything that moto skivees, and everyone else, says they do. The price is high, but so so worth it. You'd be amazed at the difference it makes. It helps your whole body, not just your feet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's what I've been doing. Almost all of my thin socks are cotton though because I'm a cheap piece of poo poo and can't come to terms with the idea of spending ~£200 all at once on a drawerfull of new good underwear.

I've just bought two pairs of merino ones that specifically don't have those gross toe seams, hopefully that'll do me right.

I've taken to wearing my smartwool snowboarding socks when I ride with awesome results. I also have a pair of swiftwick bamboo bike socks that are thin, tight, and completely prevent blister-causing friction when worn under heavier socks, like for snowshoeing or ice fishing.

Both of those things you can find on Backcountry, steepandcheap, or similar discount outdoor gear websites.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I've heard you can smell your eyes burning. What's that smell like?

surgeon had a suction wand right there, couldn't smell anything myself. I asked, and he said it varies between burnt hair and cooking meat/BBQ depending on the person. :science:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do the forma lows come in any finish that's not suede-like? Something that could be polished, maybe, or at least wiped clean?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They do not; that they're nubuck is half the attraction imo.

Given the surprise popularity of the low Adventure it's possible they might introduce a low version of the Terra at some point (as it's basically an updated Adventure), that boot has a smooth finish that probably could be polished if you wanted. This is total conjecture though, best not hold your breath.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 27, 2016

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Jazzzzz posted:

surgeon had a suction wand right there, couldn't smell anything myself. I asked, and he said it varies between burnt hair and cooking meat/BBQ depending on the person. :science:

Circular saws on bones, blood vessels and flesh being cauterized, pretty much everything a human is made of smells like a combination of burning hair and charred meat.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Reminds me of that post in the EMS thread where some guy passed out next to a space heater and essentially slow cooked his leg iirc. Whole house smelled like a pork roast.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
I have a HJC CL-17 helmet and I either need an amber shield or an amber pinlock thing.

Is the pinlock thing definitely better than just the shield for fogging? Is it annoying that it seems like it doesn't cover the entire shield?

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 28, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't like pinlocks. I got some anti-fog solution instead and it works fine, though you have to reapply it about once a week or every few rides. Takes like 30 seconds though.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
What fog solution do you use?

The HJC pinlocks look silly since they're a big oval in the middle of a very differently shaped shield.

Speaking of silly, I just found out there's such a thing as a bubble shield.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You aint seen nothing yet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Keket posted:

Thick socks over thin socks will stop almost all blisters and /or rubbing. Ask me about pouring blood out of my boot before I found this little tip out.

Okay, I'm asking.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

One of my feet always has that problem with every pair of shoes I've owned, but that's because it's my dominant foot and slightly bigger than the other one.

I got some pretty nice deals on gear from motostorm.it this weekend, I think their deals go until the end of today if anyone's looking for something to blow money on.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

M42 posted:

I got some pretty nice deals on gear from motostorm.it this weekend, I think their deals go until the end of today if anyone's looking for something to blow money on.
Do you know how fast their shipping is? I was just on there and the Forma Lows are a good $50 cheaper shipped.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It says on the item page. Some of the stuff I ordered shipped in 24hrs, some might take up to a week. $30 shipping to conus

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Keket posted:

I've poured blood out of my boots before, but that was after highsiding a friend's 125 out in the woods and chewing the crap out of my shin on a rock about ~10 years ago. It bled so much that by the time we got done riding and loaded up the bikes to go home, I could wring drops of blood from my sock.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

M42 posted:

It says on the item page. Some of the stuff I ordered shipped in 24hrs, some might take up to a week. $30 shipping to conus
Yeah but how long does it take to actually get here?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Keket posted:

Things every Boy Scout learns...

For those who don't have overlaps between motorcycles and backpacking on the venn diagram: They're sock liners. Silk and wool are the best in my opinion. I've never had good results with nylon; it's too slippery. The silk isn't slippery like nylon, it's more rough like wool. You want the liner to hug your foot & stay put, then any rubbing that happens rubs on the liner and not your tender skin.

https://www.rei.com/c/liner-socks?r=c&ir=category%3Aliner-socks&page=1

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Things Army dudes learn: gently caress that two sock nonsense and just wear some decent socks and boots that fit and you won't blister.

If your riding boots are causing blisters and you're wearing decent socks... you have the wrong boot matey.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
I got the Forma Lows.

People hike in these ski boots? Returning them for a decent pair of hiking boots and a mental acceptance of the greatly limited protection they will offer.

Edit: yes they are comfortable at the footbed but how the hell do you even walk in them? They don't want to flex much and when they do it seems like that occurs by deforming the top portion of the boot instead of at the black rubbery looking 'joints'.

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 30, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You adjust really quickly.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I wear the tall forma adventures and can walk in them just fine :confused:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Motorcycle boots aren't made for walking, dingus.

Also, all boots worth two shits take a bit of time to break in.

Hiking boots will do just a little bit more than gently caress all for you in a wreck.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Still wishing someone made a proper motorcycle boot in a US size 18

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carcinofuck posted:

I got the Forma Lows.

People hike in these ski boots? Returning them for a decent pair of hiking boots and a mental acceptance of the greatly limited protection they will offer.

Edit: yes they are comfortable at the footbed but how the hell do you even walk in them? They don't want to flex much and when they do it seems like that occurs by deforming the top portion of the boot instead of at the black rubbery looking 'joints'.

I walk around in my Dainese Torque RS boots, which have an actual plastic reinforcement cage that prevents your ankle from flexing more than like 30 degrees forwards or backwards or at all side to side, just like ski boots. Descending stairs is a challenge. The footbed is angled forwards so that my toes are always sliding towards the toebox, which is narrow and hurts my little toes after a couple of hours of stomping around.

On the other hand, they feel like perfect comfy slippers when I'm on the bike, and I'm confident that they're about as safe as you can get and they make my shifting more precise and I'm not worried about catching laces on the pegs and ripping my foot off any more.

Everyone makes their own choices.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm still wearing my forma lows that I put on before going to school tonight. I did not ride tonight. They are still super comfy, and i have no desire to remove them. They never needed breaking in, and flex more than stiff hiking boots.

You are weird and you should keep the forma lows until you realize this. Change comes from within.

Like, I've done serious hiking in them, serious walking on pavement/cement, and jumped around and danced for 8 hours straight in miami in them, all with zero discomfort during and after.

edit: You know those ratchet straps are adjustable, right?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I strayed away from the Forma's and instead purchased a pair of the Icon El Bajo's. They're short boots, but they feel tougher and more durable than my Alpinestars SMX Plus boots. The styling is also pretty snazzy, much moreso than Forma's. Depending on your foot shape they might also be workable for hiking. My feet are extremely narrow and the toe box feels very large to me, but otherwise comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80DEEjUuRk

I noticed the complaint about the Forma's is the lack of flex in the sole. The El Bajo's have the same issue, and I like that. A very stiff, inflexible block around my foot feels like it will prevent all the delicate, little bones from being pulverized by impact or crushing. I just wore them today when I went out for some book shopping (Arrian's Anabasis of Alexander:woop:) and I felt totally secure riding and comfortable walking.

I guess if you really can't stand walking in riding boots your best bet should be to only have a single great pair of riding boots (SMX Plus, you're welcome)and a tank bag with your hiking boots shoved in them. Problem solved.

Coydog posted:

jumped around and danced for 8 hours straight in miami in them

ur weird

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 30, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No ur weird, and those El Bajo's look like cheap generic orthopedic shoes. You know the ones. On the same page of the flimsy catalog as canes, and knockoff life alerts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

No ur weird, and those El Bajo's look like cheap generic orthopedic shoes. You know the ones. On the same page of the flimsy catalog as canes, and knockoff life alerts.
This is true, but you apparently look like one of those dudes who wears hiking boots everywhere all the time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I feel like the El Bajo's are 80% of the way there to being worn with a suit, and I'd convince myself it could work, but my wife would take one look and say no way.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

I feel like the El Bajo's are 80% of the way there to being worn with a suit, and I'd convince myself it could work, but my wife would take one look and say no way.

These? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U80DEEjUuRk

No. No, don't do that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yes, the same video that is literally just a few posts above yours.

Coydog posted:

Excuse me, but they look like a mix of lame hipster and even lamer steam punk. Maybe a little bit of goth for seasoning. What the gently caress kind of orthos is your pops wearing?

Edit
Lady Chiche calls them "Frankenstein Boots". :colbert:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 30, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lol at complaining that about someone else's footwear choices when you wear your armored motorcycle boots out dancing and just around the house.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got guest listed into Club Space for a special album release party on a Friday, while in the middle of a month long moto camping trip. I wore what I had with me and, to be honest, looked fantastic doing it. What more do you want from me.

I'm just giving chiche and carcinofuck are hard time for fun, I'm not serious and respect just about everyone here. But let's be clear, I can dish it out but I cannot take it. Your words are barbs on my soul that do more damage when I try to remove them, so please stop casting aspersions. :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

You should post that in one of the fashion threads in YLLS if you're so confident.

Coydog posted:

I got guest listed into Club Space for a special album release party on a Friday, while in the middle of a month long moto camping trip. I wore what I had with me and, to be honest, looked fantastic doing it. What more do you want from me.

I'm just giving chiche and carcinofuck are hard time for fun, I'm not serious and respect just about everyone here. But let's be clear, I can dish it out but I cannot take it. Your words are barbs on my soul that do more damage when I try to remove them, so please stop casting aspersions. :(

I'm guessing when you go out to buy sad groceries that are mostly cheap ground meat, chicken breasts, quick potato mixes, and gatorade, you wear gym shorts and a duster with your glorified hiking boots.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Just wear MX boots 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

karms posted:

Okay, I'm asking.

Bought new boots, being an idiot didn't break them in properly and went for a long hike. fine all the way heading out, coming back it started to feel like someone was taking a steak knife to the back of my ankle.

Turned out there's a bit of support material over the heel that had a sharp edge, ended up covering the back of my boot in blood taking it off after it split the back of my ankle open.

Fun.