Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those colours be poppin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the sigmarine death mask idea is really cool in theory, just the masks are bad. They should have gone more with say egyptian deathmasks, that are detailed based on the rank and likeness of the person instead of a dumb generic face.

If anyone's read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, it features an ancient order of angelic warrior dudes (and gals!!) who crash down from the sky on thunderbolts to save people from demons, and basically have the soercerous fantasy equivalent of power armor and lightsabers. They're sigmarines done right, the whole book is great.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here are some of my sigmarines. I went with the standard gold and blue, since I like the scheme and wanted to learn it.

Here is a battle board I painted for AoS. I still have several pieces to go, but am currently trying to finish a 30k army before the end of the year. I've since done another drybrush on the board to unify the colors more. I also added water FX to the living water.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That's some dope paint work, I love the sword blades and the bases are loving rad!; shame they are wasted on crappy models :(

lol is that a GW brand gaming board?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Moola posted:

That's some dope paint work, I love the sword blades and the bases are loving rad!; shame they are wasted on crappy models :(

lol is that a GW brand gaming board?

pretty sure it is. i've seen it in the stores. also, it's better than the $85 carpet

i mean gaming mat

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Battle-Mat-City-Ruins

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You did a good job on those Sigmarines, but I still don't love that scheme. I really dig the brushwork though.

The board's coming along - how are you going to tie it all together? My local GW has a bunch of boards like that where they airbrushed them a few colors but they need a solid drybrushing to tie the colors together.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Does anyone see any glaring issues with the IronJawz battleforce coming out? its a little under pointed at 980, but its still around a 50% savings, and the figures in it seem pretty decent, that Aelguzzler looks like a mean sob.

I recently painted a set of those tiles for my store too, it took 123 hours total over the course of three weeks, I kept track and it made me not want to paint anything for a solid month. Ill take some pictures soon assuming I remember.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 30, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

You did a good job on those Sigmarines, but I still don't love that scheme. I really dig the brushwork though.

The board's coming along - how are you going to tie it all together? My local GW has a bunch of boards like that where they airbrushed them a few colors but they need a solid drybrushing to tie the colors together.

I did a light green drybrushing all over and it did a good job tying it together. I don't have an image of that, though.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

Does anyone see any glaring issues with the IronJawz battleforce coming out? its a little under pointed at 980, but its still around a 50% savings, and the figures in it seem pretty decent, that Aelguzzler looks like a mean sob.

The Aleguzzler would make you lose the ability to take IronJawz allegiance I believe, but I'm not super familiar with them. It's still a good savings even just for the IronJawz in either case.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

DaVideo posted:

The Aleguzzler would make you lose the ability to take IronJawz allegiance I believe, but I'm not super familiar with them. It's still a good savings even just for the IronJawz in either case.

The battleforce comes with it, and Im sure will have a Battalion for it so they still count as IronJawz alliegance.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
So guys, any idea where I could find some tomb kings stuff outside of eBay? I really love the models and want to try out this AOS game.

Is this just a pipe dream/"bad idea" or should I just play lizard men? I've played 40k off and on for years and my local store started having a solid group of dudes start playing sigmar on the regular. I've always liked both armies but can't decide on them.

Ps. Any ideas on the next faction that's coming out?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Horace-Noah posted:

They posted this picture on their blog, so people are thinking robot dwarfs

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Horace-Noah posted:

So guys, any idea where I could find some tomb kings stuff outside of eBay? I really love the models and want to try out this AOS game.

Is this just a pipe dream/"bad idea" or should I just play lizard men? I've played 40k off and on for years and my local store started having a solid group of dudes start playing sigmar on the regular. I've always liked both armies but can't decide on them.

Lizardmen are a fully supported faction and so will probably get more releases in the future, whereas they've said tomb kings have been shelved. I'd stick to Lizards, mostly to avoid the problem of it being hard to get the models and the risk that the tomb kings faction's rules might go away in a future edition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Horace-Noah posted:

Is this just a pipe dream/"bad idea"

On the other hand, "Empire of Dust" are fully supported in Mantic's Kings of War game, and the first of the expansion armies (from the Uncharted Empires supplement) to get model support from Mantic. Mantic is happy for you to use models from other companies in their game, and in fact, the army lists in Uncharted Empires are basically all the GW Warhammer armies that didn't already have rules in their core book.

Take a look at the value you get for a hundred quid and compare that to GW prices.

Basically: Games Workshop doesn't want the Tomb Kings any more, has terminated the line, and it'd probably be a mistake to make any investment in the army to play Age of Sigmar. Mantic has extended a friendly hand of support for us Tomb Kingers. You could try bringing Mantic models to your Age of Sigmar games, but... well, hams are less open-minded about models from other companies, in general, so you better ask first.

As for models: in addition to eBay Tomb Kings and the Empire of Dust models from Mantic, you can search Reaper for "nefsokar" and "egypt" to see their various takes on Tomb Kings type figures. They'd mostly be for fill-in, though, Reaper doesn't sell large units of guys, and they don't have everything you'd need for a TK army (no chariots, for example).

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Empire of Dust

Maybe it's just the paint job, but to me they look kinda crap.

The price difference is real though and if the Tomb King aesthetic is what you're going after, the Empire of Dust is probably your best bet. Tomb Kings probably won't see any future models, at least not for a long time.

Lizardmen are also pretty fun from what I've heard from someone who plays them. The new faction is probably some kind of dwarf faction if the teaser is anything to go off, but they might not come out for a while yet. There are some leaked images of the dwarven team from Bloodbowl, but I don't know if those are accurate or representative of AoS either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is partly the studio paint jobs, which Mantic is still doing really badly at, but also some of the models are not great. It's hit or miss. I think most of them are fine for tabletop wargames use, with a handful of really standout ones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nobody's going to say that Mantic's models are better but they're cheaper by an absurd amount and they assume most people will be using GW models to play their games anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The big difference with Mantic vs GW models is that the Mantic is aware that people are going to be building and painting a hundred of these little dudes and so no one model needs a ton of detail. Whenever I work on a GW kit from the 00s or later, it takes me for-goddamn-ever to pick out all the little details on the models. Sure they look nice when they're done, but it takes dozens of extra hours. Whereas I can crank out a regiment of Mantic elves in an afternoon.

The thing to remember is that one random model doesn't need to look amazing. When you've got a whole army on the battlefield, which is really what Mantic is going for, then they look totally fine.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
There is a strong element of buying into the lore and design of a world when you get into a game. Mantic's world and lore is generic and hard to get engaged with. Is this generic design intentional, so the game can be played with many miniatures? If so, that's a product decision - I don't know if it's the right one, but I can respect it as a decision they've made. It might also be due to lack of skill. With Games Workshop, you might not like the lore or the models, but if you do they can really pull you in and fire your imagination. Mantic isn't able to achieve that at their current level of execution.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GreenMarine posted:

There is a strong element of buying into the lore and design of a world when you get into a game. Mantic's world and lore is generic and hard to get engaged with. Is this generic design intentional, so the game can be played with many miniatures? If so, that's a product decision - I don't know if it's the right one, but I can respect it as a decision they've made. It might also be due to lack of skill. With Games Workshop, you might not like the lore or the models, but if you do they can really pull you in and fire your imagination. Mantic isn't able to achieve that at their current level of execution.

People in Age of Sigmar-shaped glass houses shouldn't throw stones when it comes to incredibly bland lore, imo.

That being said there is literally nothing stopping someone from playing a KoW game that happens to be set in the Old World. The factions are mostly basically identical, with different names.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GreenMarine posted:

Part of me wants to say that GW lore hasn't been good since the late 90s or early 00s at the latest, but another part of me wants to say that the older I've gotten the less I've cared about the reasons why my lizard wizard is throwing a fireball at a ratman. I've been collecting some older army books (5e) and while the fluff in them is cute, I'm not sure it would excite me today the way it did when I was 13. I like painting my models. I like looking at them on my Elf Shelf. I like putting them on a well decorated battlefield and rolling dice for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon with my buddies.

I think Mantic's approach is that the lore is there if you want it, but it's not something they're putting a lot of emphasis on. Remember, a big part of what they're trying to do is to pull in old Warhammer players who want to play a good rank and file fantasy battle game. A lot of these people are just recreating their old Warhammer games with the improved rules of Kings of War. When I do a battle report in the Mantic or Sad Thread, I try to use the Mantic terms for things so that people can reference the unit stats easily, but you bet your rear end when we're playing we're not saying "palace guard" we're saying "sword masters".

I think Mantic, probably quite correctly, is not going after the same target market as GW does. GW specifically markets to adolescent boys with pocket money or wealthy parents who they expect to wash out of the hobby in five years' time. We know for a fact that GW callously takes for granted that there's a base of players who will buy whatever garbage they put out and won't move on to other games, or at least weren't doing so until Kings of War came out. But the fact remains that GW is primarily interested in boys with pocket money who will not be lifelong hobbyists. Mantic is taking the exact opposite approach and trying to get the lifers and whales. They do this by offering a wide range of models at an affordable price, solid rules that work just as well in a friendly match as they do in a competition, and they don't mind if you choose to use models from other companies.

Remember, GW won't even release rules for a unit that they don't have a model for anymore. Mantic would rather the lists be fleshed out and balanced and leaves it to the players to find substitute models and this is even for lists entirely of Mantic's own creation like the Night-Stalkers of which no models exist at all.

Meanwhile, GW nukes a celebrated and beloved fantasy setting in favor of just total nonsense and when hobbyists stomp their feet and threaten to go play Kings of War, GW honestly doesn't care. They got their five years out of them and there's always another generation of 13 year old boys who are happy to drop $200 on kits they may never even bother assembling.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Drone posted:

People in Age of Sigmar-shaped glass houses shouldn't throw stones when it comes to incredibly bland lore, imo.

its true, let's take some time to think of all of the memorable AoS characters like

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ironically, Mantic fully supports the forging of one's own narrative by allowing people to play games set in the Old World using the KoW ruleset.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Maybe someone should start a Kings of War thread so everyone interested in playing it can talk about it there :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

DaVideo posted:

Maybe someone should start a Kings of War thread so everyone interested in playing it can talk about it there :)

We're not really talking about Kings of War though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DaVideo posted:

I hope you realize saying that might have the opposite effect.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

I recently painted a set of those tiles for my store too, it took 123 hours total over the course of three weeks, I kept track and it made me not want to paint anything for a solid month. Ill take some pictures soon assuming I remember.

How? I don't mean to be a dick but I painted a 6x4 realms of battle board in 18 hours, I could see spending like another 20 hours if you really wanted to do some serious detail work... but 123 hours??? Did you paint multiple game boards or something?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JesusIsTehCool posted:

How? I don't mean to be a dick but I painted a 6x4 realms of battle board in 18 hours, I could see spending like another 20 hours if you really wanted to do some serious detail work... but 123 hours??? Did you paint multiple game boards or something?

He did say it was a set of tiles.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A mate and myself brought our airbrushes down to our local GW store and knocked out a 6x4 in a day.

Paid for in beer. A+

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I can't bring myself to play on anything that isn't a fat mat anymore, the thud of dice on the mat is mandatory. The ugly scrapy sound the dice make on your typical board makes the experience feel cheap, and as much as I like the detail in them, it makes playing big armies annoying when bases keep catching on to various poo poo sticking off the board. I do like the differences in elevation though, having a trench that is actually sunk into the board is something you just can't get on a mat. Hilly terrain helps but then you're just covering your mat in more cheap scrapy surface.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DaVideo posted:

Maybe it's just the paint job, but to me they look kinda crap.

Nope you're right, they look like absolute poo poo. Mantic at best is good for filling up massed units like ghouls and zombies.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I dunno, the renders are pretty sweet

https://goo.gl/images/t7HyQj
https://goo.gl/images/M5saq3
https://goo.gl/images/X4kahw

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 1, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

Agreed, Mantica is too generic to get me interested in their models, awesome rules though

Unfortunately GW killed the warhammer fantasy world which I was interested in, and the AoS lore is a laughable piece of poo poo by comparison

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Not a viking posted:

I dunno, the renders are pretty sweet

https://goo.gl/images/t7HyQj

I remember those, someone here posted them as the holy grail of non-TK models.

And then reality hit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm not sure that's not a fuckawful paint scheme, since I can't tell what's actually detail and what's inexplicably sharp-contrast streaks.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If we're posting garbage models here's one more on topic

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Mango Polo posted:

I remember those, someone here posted them as the holy grail of non-TK models.

And then reality a lovely painter's brush hit.

ftfy

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

They posted this picture on their blog, so people are thinking robot dwarfs

Tau confirmed

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I cant loving wait for the new names its gonna be great

Steamgas Oylspanners

Clockwerk Wrenchrenders

Buzzsaw Girdergrinders

its gonna be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

spectralent posted:

I'm not sure that's not a fuckawful paint scheme, since I can't tell what's actually detail and what's inexplicably sharp-contrast streaks.
I would love to see what Angel Giraldez would do with their models since he works magic with many of infinity's otherwise flat surfaces and sculpts. Sharp contrasts, lines to break up boring panels, and NMM blending galore. :allears:

• Locked thread