Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious posted:

I'm not sure but I think you should start it either earlier, or later. Right in the middle of the holidays might only draw a handful of participants.

That's a good point, actually. I'll start it a couple of weeks earlier, then.

Edit. This is a terrible way to start a page, so I'll ask a question. I'm most likely going to buy Siege of Dragonspear this week when I get paid, is there anything particular (Hotfixes etc.) that I need to do to get mods to work with it and last years patches, or is it business as usual? I've got the Steam version of BG:EE if it matters.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I could generally get it to start again by alt-tabbing out and then back in.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Kavak posted:

I could generally get it to start again by alt-tabbing out and then back in.
No luck.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

biscuits and crazy posted:

Edit. This is a terrible way to start a page, so I'll ask a question. I'm most likely going to buy Siege of Dragonspear this week when I get paid, is there anything particular (Hotfixes etc.) that I need to do to get mods to work with it and last years patches, or is it business as usual? I've got the Steam version of BG:EE if it matters.
You'll need ModMerge for the Steam and GOG versions (and you'll need to get SoD on Steam for save game compatibility as far as I know):
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Also:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods
This obviously only lists mods that are confirmed to work and doesn't mean mods that aren't mentioned won't work, but if you want to play it absolutely safe it should be helpful.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Been randomly playing through Planescape again, and...man, the evil route of this game is wonderfully uncomfortable. This is no KOTOR "You are playing Darkside route so your guy is kind of a murderous dick because it's funny," this is "Your guy is a psychologically abusive twat and completely deserves every incoming level of Hell." Good stuff.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

You'll need ModMerge for the Steam and GOG versions (and you'll need to get SoD on Steam for save game compatibility as far as I know):
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Also:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods
This obviously only lists mods that are confirmed to work and doesn't mean mods that aren't mentioned won't work, but if you want to play it absolutely safe it should be helpful.

Thanks for this. Looks like most of the mods I use are compatible, so that's a plus.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

Also:

This is why I have not started a run since SoD came out. Before I had a handle, but a very very tenuous one, on how to apply some basic mods and have a workable install. Now it's all crazy and I don't want to read a dozen threads on some modding forum to figure it all out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

DeathChicken posted:

Been randomly playing through Planescape again, and...man, the evil route of this game is wonderfully uncomfortable. This is no KOTOR "You are playing Darkside route so your guy is kind of a murderous dick because it's funny," this is "Your guy is a psychologically abusive twat and completely deserves every incoming level of Hell." Good stuff.

This just reminded me that I need to read the LP of Torment in the archives and the novelisation of the game.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

SoggyBobcat posted:

So, I can't seem to split stacks at the moment. Neither double-clicking or shift-clicking seems to work. Even did a full re-install, same problem. BG:EE, no mods. Anyone have any ideas?
Found a workaround for this... kind of. If I really mash the left mouse button for about five seconds I can get the split items sub-screen to come up. Hurts my finger, though; I think I'm going to try and keep inventory management to an absolute minimum for this run.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Sorry for the double post, but after a little extra Googling I finally found the culprit: turns out it's the advanced A.I. script. Set script to none, and suddenly it works again, even the lag I had in the inventory screen is gone. Maybe it only happens with low-end specs? My laptop's a piece of crap, but it runs the rest of the game fine.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Just put Safana in charge of my party only to realize that her entire personality is an act. I've played Baldur's Gate since launch.

...I am not a smart man.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just finished my first ever complete run through of BG1 with an Inquisitor. Will he continue to poo poo on mages as hard through BG2? I'm skipping SoD because I didn't happen to pick it up for 5 bucks.

Also, what should I be thinking of in terms of party for BG2? I ran through 1 with Inquisitor, Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid, Neela, and Branwen. I'm thinking I could grab Anomen and have him be a decent replacement for Branwen and Khalid, and I'm good with sticking with Neela for magic. Does Jaheira get any better in BG2? She was pretty much dead weight in BG1. Also, should I be thinking of running with 4 or 5 NPCs instead of the full six? I've read that BG2 is not as forgiving when it comes to keeping a six member party experience wise.

I'm also really sad my inquisitor didn't get to keep his swords :smith: Spider's Bane and World's Edge will be missed greatly. For large parts of the game I just buffed him up and sent him to solo entire maps :D

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Inquisitors will continue to poo poo all over mages, Jaheira does get better, her 2 best spells are in level 5, which sucks because they're competing for spell slots. You should be aware that if you want do everything in the Paladin stronghold quest, you shouldn't kill the red dragon until they tell you to, which is dumb as hell.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Jaheira also gains 3 points of AC due to higher dexterity in BG2, which helps her a lot. For a time at least, later on AC stops mattering unless you get it below -20. But by then she literally has Iron Skins (one of the two great level 5 spells) for days.
Also, there are more Strength-setting items in BG1, so if you didn't use potions a lot in BG1 that's also going to help her.
Having an Inquisitor means you won't need Insect Swarm (the other really good level 5 spell Skwirl was talking about) as much, so Jaheira will be a good tank. Don't expect her to deal amazing amounts of damage.

Also, try out Korgan. His Enrage lets him shrug off a lot of the gotcha abilities enemies in BG2 tend to have.
Of course, Korgan, Jaheira, Anomen and an Inquisitor in the same party would mean you need to use Jan if you ever want more than just Neera for arcane magic, and generally I'd say go with Yoshimo for story reasons. But Korgan is really good.

Dramatika posted:

I've read that BG2 is not as forgiving when it comes to keeping a six member party experience wise.
I don't really know what you mean here but it seems like you read some bullshit.
Going below 6 is going to help some guys (mainly Aerie, but all multi-classes to some degree) but most non-Mage classes actually start to get diminishing returns from levels quite early. And then it's a long wait until you reach high-level abilities, even in a party of 4.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 25, 2016

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Inquisitors will continue to poo poo all over mages, Jaheira does get better, her 2 best spells are in level 5, which sucks because they're competing for spell slots. You should be aware that if you want do everything in the Paladin stronghold quest, you shouldn't kill the red dragon until they tell you to, which is dumb as hell.

Screw the paladin stronghold and kill the red dragon as soon as is feasible for you.

Also Jaheira/druids get some really good summons at level 6, and probably one of the better spells in the game at level 7 (nature's beauty, which has a no-save blind effect)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Dramatika posted:

I've read that BG2 is not as forgiving when it comes to keeping a six member party experience wise.

This is totally untrue. BG2 rewards full-size parties through "quest experience." Typically your experience gains are divided equally among your party members, so a 12000xp monster is worth 2000xp to each party member in a full party. But whenever you gain quest experience every member in the party gains that amount of experience. So 12000 quest experience is worth 12000xp to each party member. There is a lot of quest experience.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Oh, awesome. I'll roll with six then.

Right now I have Inquistor PC, Neera, Aerie, Minsc, Jaheria, and Yoshimo. I'm thinking about trading Minsc out for Anomen, though honestly I'm not sure that the extra priest spells are needed.

Does having Neera in BG2 make it possible for everyones spells to Wild Surge?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Wild mages, including Neera, only surge their own casts. Minsc is kind of a fun combo with Aerie for plot reasons, but Anomen is a stronger fighter. Admittedly I've never actually taken him as I find him too annoying.

Anyhow...

I'm having an interesting BG1 no-reload run with Coran, whom I've never taken before.

I realized a while ago (like a lot of others) that Khalid is >> better as an archer than a sword and board fighter. Alongside Coran, the combination of two master longbowmen really changes the dynamic of a lot of fights.

For example, the wizard with pre-cast stone skin + mirror image is a whole lot less effective. Two archers with 5/2 APR (khalid with a full 3) just cut through images so quickly, and then start dropping acid / ice / biting arrows into stone skins. Before you know it the mage is dead. If the mage recasts either stone skin or mirror image, it doesn't help them much because they'll all be gone by the end of the round anyway.

Party has just got to candlekeep dungeons. Fought the big fight at the top of the iron throne building for the first time. Didn't go great (3 deaths), but we pulled through. Imoen died because of poor positioning by the stairs that got her stuck against one of the fighters. Khalid died because he got confused. Jaheira died tanking, but should have healed earlier.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 26, 2016

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Coran is great, I use him in most play throughs so I can dual Imoen to mage early. He's one of the strongest NPCs in the game and covers the thief role, which is otherwise basically just dead space in your party.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bike tory posted:

Screw the paladin stronghold and kill the red dragon as soon as is feasible for you.

Agreed. The experience is way less useful than Carsomyr, unless you're going to beeline through the Paladin Stronghold quests immediately. IIRC it's not even a quest XP reward.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 26, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Basically what happens is the quest is given to you but you can't turn it in since it's already dead. You only miss out on XP. Maybe the EE fixed it?

e: Oh yeah almost forgot, completing the stronghold quests will redeem you if you're fallen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've started my Ironman 2017 playthrough early I hope no one minds at the breach of protocol. I was just really in the mood.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

bike tory posted:

Coran is great, I use him in most play throughs so I can dual Imoen to mage early. He's one of the strongest NPCs in the game and covers the thief role, which is otherwise basically just dead space in your party.

He's an absolute beast with a bow as well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Let's say you have a Paladin and they 'fall' at Level 1, do they then level up with the restrictions that Paladins have (e.g. limitations on proficiency levels) or do they level as per a straight up fighter?

Edit: same question for Rangers I guess too.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You're stuck as a fallen Paladin, I believe.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I've started my Ironman 2017 playthrough early I hope no one minds at the breach of protocol. I was just really in the mood.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, since I will have less free time in the coming months I might as well kickstart my run this weekend.

gently caress it, I'll join you, time to randomize a character...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ulvino posted:

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, since I will have less free time in the coming months I might as well kickstart my run this weekend.

gently caress it, I'll join you, time to randomize a character...

After dying maybe 6-7 times I'm a level 5 halfway to 6 sorcerer. I want to get to level 8 then recruit my party.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Isn't this how you burned out last time, trying to go too far too fast?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yes.

And having my level 25 epic level berserker / mage dying in bg2 to some easy enemies because I got stun locked even though I could have easily dealt with them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
In Ironmen with high level mages I tend to send planetars in to deal with things almost all the time

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Are any of you good with image editing? If so, could I possibly get a badge for the new honour for beating Siege of Dragonspear blind, Blind Faith? I'm a total amateur when it comes to this sort of thing myself.

I was also going to request one for a possible Legacy of Bhaal related honour, but I googled it and to be honest, it looks to be totally unfeasible for a completed ironman run of that mode.

Since we've already got runs going, I should be able to get the thread up sometime tomorrow afternoon, when I get home from work.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ironman thread is now up.

Have fun getting shot by bandits and eaten by wolves.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 27, 2016

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Are there any good scripts for IWD:EE? Using the supplied ones my spellcasters stack their disables and nobody attacks unconscious enemies :/

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

8 Ball posted:

Are there any good scripts for IWD:EE? Using the supplied ones my spellcasters stack their disables and nobody attacks unconscious enemies :/

Don't ever let the AI do anything and set up autopause so that you can manually cast everything, for extra difficult battles set it to autopause at the start of each new round. The AI will also unfetteringly attack charmed friendlies.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
IGN has a little fluff piece on the history of Baldur's Gate and Fallout today.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/11/30/how-fallout-and-baldurs-gate-changed-rpgs-forever-ign-game-changers

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

God, the writing for the BG1NPC project is all over the place.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So you're saying it's a perfect fit for the game?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

So you're saying it's a perfect fit for the game?

I replayed BG1 for the first time in over a decade last year and had completely forgotten just how much the writing swings between Serious Fantasy and jokey pop culture references and self-aware dialogue options.

"Hmm I wonder which mod added this NPC that's Literally Wolverine, let me check... oh, oh it's in the base game, huh."

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Veib posted:

I replayed BG1 for the first time in over a decade last year and had completely forgotten just how much the writing swings between Serious Fantasy and jokey pop culture references and self-aware dialogue options.

"Hmm I wonder which mod added this NPC that's Literally Wolverine, let me check... oh, oh it's in the base game, huh."

Who is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The BG1NPC project makes several characters completely intolerable. Xan and Faldorn, for example.
And Kivan, who goes from gruff ranger out for vengeance to a mopy, melancholic, and way too polite sad sack complete with portrait change:

But at least Tiax rules.

Washout posted:

Who is that?
Bub Snikt in one of the early wilderness maps.

e: Which is not an obvious reference, though, at least I needed to have it pointed out to me. http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Bub_Snikt