Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ajax queries are blocking page navigation in this legacy (enterprise, much used) application and I cannot figure out why.

the terrible programmer part: i've been maintaining this application for a year and still havent fixed this. i've at least sped up the ajax calls so they are many orders of magnitude faster, so maybe your data will come back before it times out!

necro, but: some web frameworks force serialized execution of requests from each client when session state is enabled

if your one ajax call is taking forever, subsequent requests will be blocked waiting for it to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
drat I'm so sick of mysql's loving bullshit what a giant piece of loving poo poo

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

mysql: you can't create that table, idiot
me: why not?
mysql: lol iono gently caress you
me: no gently caress YOU
mysql: *vomits*

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Xarn posted:

C++03 can go suck a dick.

*bursts into thread several days late*

actually,

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

loving hell why is proper source control so loving complicated.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: just got back from a week off to an explosion of emails resulting from the new gender identity API being so confusing that nobody knows how to use it. my controversial idea of "write some wrapper functions that just do the right thing, have people call those" is apparently an affront to whoever designed this api.

also apparently i have to rebranch the entire deployment im developing my project on before i can start working on the client.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

c tp s: just got back from a week off to an explosion of emails resulting from the new gender identity API being so confusing that nobody knows how to use it. my controversial idea of "write some wrapper functions that just do the right thing, have people call those" is apparently an affront to whoever designed this api.

also apparently i have to rebranch the entire deployment im developing my project on before i can start working on the client.

we've all said this before, but
:sever:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

the new gender identity API

don't get typecast

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

new gender identity API

good argument for dynamic typing right here

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
man reinvent is such a huge garbage fire but i've been pleasantly surprised that there hasn't been much in the way of nerd funk

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Blinkz0rz posted:

man reinvent is such a huge garbage fire but i've been pleasantly surprised that there hasn't been much in the way of nerd funk

only sales dorks go to reinvent

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

the new gender identity API
is it parametric polymorphous

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it's literally so that patients' gender identities are shown instead of their legal/birth sex except when it's absolutely clinically necessary to show that data. basically to keep backward dickhead receptionists from calling patients by the wrong titles and pronouns just to be dicks.

we're hiding the original sex and name from mental health workers by default to because of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...der-son-a-girl/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

unrelated to anything but i was in a meeting with some surgeons yesterday and they talked a bit about epic and data wrangling

we mostly just all grimace-laughed each time someone said 'epic'

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

unrelated to anything but i was in a meeting with some surgeons yesterday and they talked a bit about epic and data wrangling

we mostly just all grimace-laughed each time someone said 'epic'

doctors hate every emr because they resent actually being held accountable for doing the right thing and documenting proof that they did the right thing. doctors wish they could operate more like the nypd.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that was one of the things that came up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/developer-preview-ec2-instances-f1-with-programmable-hardware/
dehumanize  and  face  to  fpga

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

that was one of the things that came up

lol. i was at a go-live once and had an er doctor say straight to my face "i shouldnt have to explain to anyone why i do what i do, and ill be damned if i waste time checking boxes in some machine". then he got fired a month later because it turns out he had a way higher complication rate than any of the other doctors.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The only bright spot in this awful mysql nightmare is dapper

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

doctors hate every emr because they resent actually being held accountable for doing the right thing and documenting proof that they did the right thing. doctors wish they could operate more like the nypd.
a few years ago i worked for a startup that got a grant to pilot a new on-call system. it integrated with their cisco ip phones so all the nurses/admin staff had to do was find the department on the phone they were looking for, and it would send a page to the first doctor on-call, then if they didn't respond within x minutes (which could be configured per-department), it would go on to the next, and so on. if no one responded, it would call the person who originated the call and let them know so they could try again.

the doctors HATED this for a few reasons, and the worst one was that they were pissed off that it only ever called them using one number, and they didn't want to respond to a page if it came from like a ward instead of a more "important" department like the er

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

gender identity API

somewhere in some database in the bowels of some organization you just know there's a gender_bool column

the person who made it probably thought they were sooo clever at minimizing storage space and/or is a shithead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

a few years ago i worked for a startup that got a grant to pilot a new on-call system. it integrated with their cisco ip phones so all the nurses/admin staff had to do was find the department on the phone they were looking for, and it would send a page to the first doctor on-call, then if they didn't respond within x minutes (which could be configured per-department), it would go on to the next, and so on. if no one responded, it would call the person who originated the call and let them know so they could try again.

the doctors HATED this for a few reasons, and the worst one was that they were pissed off that it only ever called them using one number, and they didn't want to respond to a page if it came from like a ward instead of a more "important" department like the er

that's a standard part of our oncall offering and has been for like 10+ years. the biggest changes have been adding in secure texting apps that track delivery and opening on the device (normal paging cant do either). it fuckin rules when a client complains about our poo poo not working and a doctor not getting a page and then we go to the logs and show them that no, their doctor lied and he got it but never read it. doctors are the worst.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Google's being a bit of a bitch right now so I'll ask here

In Dapper for .NET how do you handle a class' properties and a database table's columns not having the same name? I've got a table called MNEMONICS with a column called MNEMONIC, so I have class Mnemonic but having a property named Mnemonic is an error

I can make the property MNEMONIC or change the name of the class and it works fine, I guess Dapper's reflection is case insensitive, but it got me wondering how you control mapping for yourself rather than letting background magic do it

(e) Also it'd be nice if i could somehow autogenerate the c lasses liek EF does because some of the tables on my project at work really loving suck and I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat wrt that kind of stuff

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 30, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

just use void* for gender tbh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

that's a standard part of our oncall offering and has been for like 10+ years. the biggest changes have been adding in secure texting apps that track delivery and opening on the device (normal paging cant do either). it fuckin rules when a client complains about our poo poo not working and a doctor not getting a page and then we go to the logs and show them that no, their doctor lied and he got it but never read it. doctors are the worst.
it was a really good product but no one used it. there was even a pager outage that they didn't know about for hours, but if they'd been using our product then the people making those pages would have found out way sooner, and brought this up at a big board meeting. but they still didn't want to use it and the company went out of business. rip

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

In Dapper for .NET how do you handle a class' properties and a database table's columns not having the same name? I've got a table called MNEMONICS with a column called MNEMONIC, so I have class Mnemonic but having a property named Mnemonic is an error

I can make the property MNEMONIC or change the name of the class and it works fine, I guess Dapper's reflection is case insensitive, but it got me wondering how you control mapping for yourself rather than letting background magic do it

(e) Also it'd be nice if i could somehow autogenerate the c lasses liek EF does because some of the tables on my project at work really loving suck and I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat wrt that kind of stuff

I believe there's an override of Query that lets you pass in a lambda for your mapping, so something like:

code:
connection.Query<Poop>("select * from poops", {some types array}, obj => obj.MapToPoop());
I think that is the right override. No idea what the Type[] argument is used for, and I have not tried this yet.

e: okay yeah I think this is what you want: https://github.com/StackExchange/dapper-dot-net/blob/master/Dapper/SqlMapper.cs#L1251

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quiggy posted:

What size does it deref to though??

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

quiggy posted:

i mean, all y'alls first mistake is thinking gender can be used meaningfully for calculations anyway. a strict type doesn't matter because the reality is if you start using gender for calculations you are likely already loving up. for example, my creatinine clearance looks like im about to die if you use the gender to calculate reference ranges. using gender as a clinically significant factor for 90% of things is outdated medicine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/developer-preview-ec2-instances-f1-with-programmable-hardware/
dehumanize  and  face  to  fpga

that is p. cool

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it is really cool but i would like to hear about the people who are asking for a cloud-based fpga product that isn't bitcoiners. i'm sure they exist, and whatever they're doing is probably really cool

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i mean, all y'alls first mistake is thinking gender can be used meaningfully for calculations anyway. a strict type doesn't matter because the reality is if you start using gender for calculations you are likely already loving up. for example, my creatinine clearance looks like im about to die if you use the gender to calculate reference ranges. using gender as a clinically significant factor for 90% of things is outdated medicine.

there are only two genders and they are based on immutable biological facts, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

that's the one thing that kind of sucks about dapper is if you want to customize this poo poo you have to build custom mapper implementations (idr the name of the interface) and you have to do it basically per class. there are no attributes to assist the mapper.

imo I would change the property name since MNEOMIC is the entity and whatever is in the MNEMONIC column is a property and should have a clear name ex MNEMONICName or MNEMONICId or w/e. Also don't use caps for column names unless its an acronym.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

quiggy posted:

there are only two genders and they are based on immutable biological facts, op

the two genders are:

YES
NO

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

the two genders are:

YES
NO

Sex: YES PLEASE

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Sex: YES PLEASE

sex haver: true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the two genders are:

YES
NO

IsMale BOOLEAN (NotNull)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Surely using any physical attribute to estimate based on statistical averages has the same issue? I'm a little surprised that there's no distinction between "sex" and "gender" in a medical scenario, but I guess recognition of that sort of thing is more recent than many ancient systems big organisations like that would be working on.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

anthonypants posted:

it is really cool but i would like to hear about the people who are asking for a cloud-based fpga product that isn't bitcoiners. i'm sure they exist, and whatever they're doing is probably really cool

google's using fpgas for a lot of really incidental things these days. it's basically just the next step after vectorizing some code if you still need it to be faster. it's just not something that's trickled down to companies that don't own their own data centers because until now there was no reasonable way to do it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Plorkyeran posted:

google's using fpgas for a lot of really incidental things these days. it's basically just the next step after vectorizing some code if you still need it to be faster. it's just not something that's trickled down to companies that don't own their own data centers because until now there was no reasonable way to do it.
isn't intel shipping cores w/ fpga blocks? like when facebook has a graph problem that doesn't map to other HW well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

welcome to the world of AML, where gender is important and binary :(

• Locked thread