Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whelp, for better or for worse, I got the game. I've been playing as Castille, and I've been having some problems there. I thought I'd switch things up by doing some slice-by-slice conquest of Aragon while doing a royal marriage and being best buds to the end with Portugal, but I wound up only taking one province in one war before an event fired off that automatically put us in a personal union. There was some time wasted. After that, I did a nice little reconquista of Granada, and pulled a huge scheme to get enough prestige to seize the throne of Navarra when things went cockeyed at the last moment and I wound up doing things the hard way.

And now, I don't really know what to do. I need to accumulate legitimacy to form Spain, but that's slow going. I wrestled for a while trying to repay my loans and get some positive cash flow going (I screwed up a lot of things towards the beginning), but I guess that was fretting over mostly nothing. There's no opportunities that present themselves. One of the missions the game offered me was to take some Italian provinces, but apparently I can't fabricate claims on places that aren't my neighbor, and it didn't give me any casus beli to help, so I'm not sure what the game's playing at there. I don't want to go backstab Portugal after all the work I've put into our alliance. Colonization is a dead end for now, because there's nothing close enough to send settlers to, and sending explorers and conquistadors out just for them to die eventually isn't helping me at all.

So what is there for me to do other than wait for my legitimacy to tick up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You should go on a quest, a quest FOR THE NEW WORLD!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm playing as Mali....sure hope that this is a localization bug.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It means the province.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't want to go backstab Portugal after all the work I've put into our alliance.

Do it anyway, always eat Portugal as Castille/Spain. You'll have unrivaled control over the Seville node and be richer than God once the colonisation trade starts rolling in.

Alternatively, see if some or all of England, Austria, Burgundy or anyone else big enough to matter wants to help you beat up on France.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is there a mod that either removes or at least tempers the diminishing returns on development?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Koramei posted:

Loans renew every 5 years, giving you 0.1 inflation each time they do it. Those 25 loans are giving you 0.5 inflation every single year, which is more than you can passively pay down even with economic ideas + the advisor. It's a slow but steady waste of admin points for very little gain.

You definitely don't have to rush to pay off loans, some people are way too cautious with them. But I nearly always pay them off as soon as I can.

Pssshh.. I'm at 20% inflation. Haven't noticed any ill effects yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Well, you'd probably be doing a lot better if you had less. You can get really bad events if you're above 5%, like stability hits and increased autonomy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Randarkman posted:

You haven't noticed literally everything costing 20% more? If you're not running a 100% merc army then your inflation is hurting you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think you guys worry too much. When has a little inflation ever done harm to an economy?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In EU4 where you use a foreign currency(gold) and your income is totally decoupled from price level?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just started an Ethiopia game - with no westernization anymore, am I stuck with east african units the whole game? I think they lose out to western around miltech 19 or so, right?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Just started an Ethiopia game - with no westernization anymore, am I stuck with east african units the whole game? I think they lose out to western around miltech 19 or so, right?

Yeah, something like that

Though Westernization hadn't changed your unit type for quite some time. Think it was taken out in a patch a long time ago.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 30, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am picturing everyone gleefully playing with the speed set to 5, 15 loans taken out, 25% inflation, and 10 corruption. Just totally contented. It makes me ill.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I am picturing everyone gleefully playing with the speed set to 5, 15 loans taken out, 25% inflation, and 10 corruption. Just totally contented. It makes me ill.

At one point in the Korea game I just did, I hit 25 corruption and stayed there for half a century.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tsyni posted:

This but I'm hiring Inflation reduction advisors and spending Pokebux on Forgive Usury as well.

While taking out even more loans.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eej posted:

This but I'm hiring Inflation reduction advisors and spending Pokebux on Forgive Usury as well.

While taking out even more loans.

Yeah, this is the way to do it. Use those loans to fuel your economy (or warmachine), the Pope said it was alright.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

You're totally fine, not even remotely cutting it close. Most people that are new to the game don't realize, but you can do just as much conquest in the last 100 years as the rest of the game put together. Administrative efficiency is that amazing. Also, chain your wars, start one and take land then while it's coring have another war going in the other direction so that when you're done coring you can send a new peace deal for land. If you're looking for some help dealing with cores and the like just release vassals and stuff them with provinces then annex them when their loyalty starts to grow near 50%.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I'm done with time to spare:

I knew things speed up at that point but I figured coring speed might be a bigger deal. Except Ottomans have faster coring, and I think efficiency helps with it too? It only took me about a year to core any province. I need to give World Conquest a try sometime.

No Unify Islam though! I just realized you need to convert all your land to Islam, not just those specific provinces :saddowns:

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 30, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you need to give world conquest a try... with ryukyu :twisted:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like how your still somehow 2nd in score

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I like how your still somehow 2nd in score

France. It's always France.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
if you're taking out as many loans as you can so that you can start building manufactories in every semi-valuable trade good province that can hold them i dunno what to say to you

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey guys need advice: as Sweden I have been pretty succesful, I own all of novgorod trade node besides 3 provinces, most of the baltic sea except the good provinces (danzig and others controlled by Commonwealth) and a fair bunch of lubeck.

I just got more land in lubeck that pushed my trade power there higher than in baltic sea, would it be worth it to move my trade capital there? It's like 40% Vs 35%, and I can keep conquering in lubeck while fighting Commonwealth is a really bad idea right now.

It's 1710 and I have zero trading / economic ideas if that matters, I make most of my gold through taxes

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys need advice: as Sweden I have been pretty succesful, I own all of novgorod trade node besides 3 provinces, most of the baltic sea except the good provinces (danzig and others controlled by Commonwealth) and a fair bunch of lubeck.

I just got more land in lubeck that pushed my trade power there higher than in baltic sea, would it be worth it to move my trade capital there? It's like 40% Vs 35%, and I can keep conquering in lubeck while fighting Commonwealth is a really bad idea right now.

It's 1710 and I have zero trading / economic ideas if that matters, I make most of my gold through taxes

I would say probably, but unless you're playing Ironman, why not just try it, compare your income after the month ticks over, and reload if it's worse? I'm a big fan of trial and error for this kind of thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If you guys are looking for something different, a custom nation in New Zealand is pretty cool. Good development, ability to dominate the Indonesia node, AND you get to keep all American provinces as your own without colonial nations because you start in a colonial region (tested this to be sure). :c00l:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any advice on starting a League War at a numerical disadvantage? I'm playing as Sweden and it's the early 1600s, I'm leader of the Protestant League. Our side can field about 150-200k troops, their side is more in the 250k+ range. Not overwhelming odds if it was pure player vs. AI but I'm not super confident in the ability of the AI nations not to waste all of their troops in stupid ways. I only have about 60k troops personally, though I guess I could stretch that if I went seriously into debt.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Any advice on starting a League War at a numerical disadvantage? I'm playing as Sweden and it's the early 1600s, I'm leader of the Protestant League. Our side can field about 150-200k troops, their side is more in the 250k+ range. Not overwhelming odds if it was pure player vs. AI but I'm not super confident in the ability of the AI nations not to waste all of their troops in stupid ways. I only have about 60k troops personally, though I guess I could stretch that if I went seriously into debt.

Might be harder during a league war, but I'd try to systematically knock the weaker members of the enemy alliance out of the war (those 5,000 and 10,000 man armies really add up) to bring down their numbers and extract ducats from them. Waiting for the enemy to siege a fort and then converging on a weaker army if it presents itself might be a good way to go about it with the new mechanics where a besieging army is always counted as attacker, which you can make work to your advantage both against a numerically superior enemy or to have a better chance to defeat weaker armies before they can be reinforced, maybe even have a shot at stack-wiping them.

Pray that you can roll up a good general, your ruler or heir if need be. Especially high siege ability is going to be key at knocking out those weaker members.

As it's a big war I'd basically just embrace running a serious deficit, though you can try to lessen some of that with war spoils and separate peace settlements.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 30, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Randarkman posted:

Might be harder during a league war, but I'd try to systematically knock the weaker members of the enemy alliance out of the war (those 5,000 and 10,000 man armies really add up) to bring down their numbers and extract ducats from them. Waiting for the enemy to siege a fort and then converging on a weaker army if it presents itself might be a good way to go about it with the new mechanics where a besieging army is always counted as attacker, which you can make work to your advantage both against a numerically superior enemy or to have a better chance to defeat weaker armies before they can be reinforced, maybe even have a shot at stack-wiping them.

Pray that you can roll up a good general, your ruler or heir if need be. Especially high siege ability is going to be key at knocking out those weaker members.

As it's a big war I'd basically just embrace running a serious deficit, though you can try to lessen some of that with war spoils and separate peace settlements.

Makes sense, thanks. I think I might also try declaring a quick war on one of the larger Catholic League members (Muscovy) individually, stomping them, and then kicking off the League War shortly afterwards. If I can pull off the first war with minimal losses it should help reduce some of the Catholic League's advantage overall.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
League Wars at a force disadvantage are a gigantic pain. The wargoal is show superiority so every single time one of your minors gets stomped you're losing score. Try really hard to get Ottos or France on your side so that you will at least have an ally who can rescue the stupid weak rear end north German princes from themselves while you're busy winning the war.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

France is in the Catholic League, unfortunately. Ottomans aren't in either league yet and I'm on decent terms with them, so I guess there's hope there that they might still join the Protestant League. Aside from improving relations (which might already be as high as I can get them), is there anything I can do to try and prod them to join the league? Austria is in the Protestant League with me and I assume they and the Ottomans hate each other, though I can't check right now. That's gotta hurt the chances of the Ottomans joining, right? The Emperor is a decently strong Bohemia.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

If you guys are looking for something different, a custom nation in New Zealand is pretty cool. Good development, ability to dominate the Indonesia node, AND you get to keep all American provinces as your own without colonial nations because you start in a colonial region (tested this to be sure). :c00l:

Did you give yourself all of New Zealand to start, or just part of it? Could be fun to set up a few custom nations there to fight at the start, maybe a Tasmania while you're at it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

Did you give yourself all of New Zealand to start, or just part of it? Could be fun to set up a few custom nations there to fight at the start, maybe a Tasmania while you're at it.

I took it all to start.

An official Maori one province tribal nation would be cool though. I mean, they've got Siberian natives and stuff.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

France is in the Catholic League, unfortunately. Ottomans aren't in either league yet and I'm on decent terms with them, so I guess there's hope there that they might still join the Protestant League. Aside from improving relations (which might already be as high as I can get them), is there anything I can do to try and prod them to join the league? Austria is in the Protestant League with me and I assume they and the Ottomans hate each other, though I can't check right now. That's gotta hurt the chances of the Ottomans joining, right? The Emperor is a decently strong Bohemia.

How's the great power balance? If you're at a disadvantage there then the Ottomans might intervene anyway. They really seem to enjoy interjecting themselves into random great power wars since that got introduced.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
So, coalitions.
Timiruds, QQ, and venice coalitioned me. I immediately declared and beat them down (I am ottoman hear me roar). They will have left the coalition at this point (I think, from the wiki, although I guess I haven't confirmed this). Time has passed and my truce with them has now expired. If I now go generate a whole new bunch of AE, will tims and qq etc rejoin the coalition? Or are they out for good?

Also, i see the CB for the top of the exploration/expansion ideas have changed - they now allow you to 'fabricate claims in trade company regions' instead of just giving you a CB over primitive nations (or w/e)
It's not on the wiki yet, but has anyone noticed what kind of a CB you get for those claims ( % AE/warscore/etc), and how they work? Do you still have to send a diplomat over to generate spypoints and then fabricate from that? Is there a cooldown? Can you just use it exactly the same as the old way, but it's just limited to either trade company regions or colonial regions, depending?

I'm iron manning it up and don't want to pick one of those and then find it's been nerfed into uselessness. I guess if nobody knows I can start a new game, console myself a whole bunch of admin points poo poo, and then see how it looks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This whole France-Spain-Portugal lovefest every game is getting really old. I've gotten 5 Mali games to the point where I can explore Europe and each time they are in a three way alliance, usually with Austria and/or England involved somehow too. Its annoying as gently caress.

awesmoe posted:

I'm iron manning it up and don't want to pick one of those and then find it's been nerfed into uselessness. I guess if nobody knows I can start a new game, console myself a whole bunch of admin points poo poo, and then see how it looks.
If you do this just start a really late date and see what it gives.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

It works exactly the same as regular fabrication of claims, (you need to send a spy, and you get the regular conquest CB,) except you don't need to border the province. I don't like it for America, but I love it for Asia/Africa. Assuming you're big enough you can fabricate on all the trade modifier provinces in India/Africa/Indonesia/etc and use "threaten" to dominate trade without ever actually having to set foot outside Europe.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baron Corbyn posted:

How's the great power balance? If you're at a disadvantage there then the Ottomans might intervene anyway. They really seem to enjoy interjecting themselves into random great power wars since that got introduced.

Not sure what you mean. Just like how many GPs are on each side? I'm not sure off the top of my head. The Protestant League has at least 3 (me/Sweden, Poland, Lithuania) and the Catholic League has at least two (France and Muscovy).

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Chickpea Roar posted:

It works exactly the same as regular fabrication of claims, except you don't need to border the province. I don't like it for America, but I love it for Asia/Africa. Assuming you're big enough you can fabricate on all the trade modifier provinces in India/Africa/Indonesia/etc and use "threaten" to dominate trade without ever actually having to set foot outside Europe.

Wow, that's...actually kinda interestingly different and useful. Instead of having to colonize indonesia I can just fabricate to get a foothold. Cool!
e: just to confirm - it doesn't matter how much trade power I have in a node if I'm not actually steering with a merchant, right? Getting those sweet indian trade nodes is useless if I've only got 2 merchants (except for building the trade companies to get the merchants, but you know what I mean)

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 30, 2016

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

awesmoe posted:

e: just to confirm - it doesn't matter how much trade power I have in a node if I'm not actually steering with a merchant, right? Getting those sweet indian trade nodes is useless if I've only got 2 merchants (except for building the trade companies to get the merchants, but you know what I mean)

Maybe? Even if you don't have a merchant steering your trade power will contribute to pulling trade out of the node. Depending on who has merchants in the node and where they are steering your trade power could be helping to move trade in a direction you want, or it could help funnel trade to your worst rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

If you do not have a merchant in a specific trade node your trade power will be used to push trade towards your capitol via the shortest route so long as there is a another nation's trader in that node who is trying to push it in your direction. So you do not need a trader in every node, just to focus them in high-demand contested nodes like Ivory Coast or Caribbean

What you want to avoid is situations where you dont have a trader in a crucial steerage node that others might be interested in, for example

As Venice to extend your trade empire you want goods to flow from India and Asia, into the Gulf of Aden, then from there into Alexandria, instead of around Zanzibar and the Cape of Good Hope. If you dont have a merchant there, the UK, France, Castille, and other trade empires will push it South and forever out of your reach.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 30, 2016

• Locked thread