Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is a very beefy alien.
Also leaked sets??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where the hell is the trailer for this thing?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't buy into all of SMGs political analysis, but Xenos EU-backed narrative does not naturally emerge in the first movie. The narrative that makes the most sense is for the Nostromo to come across the alien signal by coincidence, after which Mother deviates from the original course to investigate based on "Robocop-like" pre-programmed orders. I believe the first sequence shows this process.

Ash being a new hire is not the smoking gun of company pre-knowledge like Xenos is making it out to be. Ships take on new personell. The existence of robots is not a huge shock to the crew, only that Ash is one. It seems likely that the company have them in rotation to look after their interests.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think the company knew something was vaguely "out there" in that part of space but didn't know any specific details about what or where. I mean of course from the moment they see the derelict/etc. Ash is in full company mode.

I always liked the vagueness of Mother. I got the impression that, like with Alien 3's network, Mother is sort of a combination of both some real time human input and its own programming. Like the tradeoff is you can get a message straight from HQ on earth or whatever but it's in dramatically stuttered green text instead of a videophone or holograms or whatever. I always had the idea in my head that Mother was sending info directly home and, while the crew only interacts with Mother, there's still some human element guiding it for major stuff like the ship's gonna crash/we found aliens/whatever other craziness could happen in space.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I'm pretty excited for Rogue One, but I realized today that if I go to opening night and there's an Alien Covenant trailer in front of it, that's the thing I'll remember most when the night is over.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

IMB posted:

I'm pretty excited for Rogue One, but I realized today that if I go to opening night and there's an Alien Covenant trailer in front of it, that's the thing I'll remember most when the night is over.

I'm pretty sure Spider-Man Homecoming is getting the prime trailer slot before Star Wars. I'm betting, based on the companies that make the movies, that we're getting it before Assassin's Creed, which guarantees that it will be the thing you most remember when the night is over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember seeing Dodgeball just to catch the new AvP trailer in theaters, as well as seeing Hitman for the AvP-R one.

Ah to be a young fan.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm pretty sure Spider-Man Homecoming is getting the prime trailer slot before Star Wars. I'm betting, based on the companies that make the movies, that we're getting it before Assassin's Creed, which guarantees that it will be the thing you most remember when the night is over.

Michael Bay said the Transformers 5 teaser will be attached to Rogue One as well. That said, I'd rather have the Alien Covenant teaser than that or spider-man. :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A Deacon posted:

Michael Bay said the Transformers 5 teaser will be attached to Rogue One as well. That said, I'd rather have the Alien Covenant teaser than that or spider-man. :colbert:

Bay's really missing out on an opportunity to confuse the gently caress out of everyone by making a trailer with all of the King Arthur stuff front and center and attaching it to that Guy Richie King Arthur movie coming out in the spring.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I have the Aliens: Book One comic book series mainly for nostalgia reasons (I guess it's called "Earth War" now) and the story is OK. I think the artwork (at least in its original B/W) is great:

(Best scan I could find) Unfortunately they now have a colorized one that looks utterly abysmal.
The black and white art is pretty excellent; Dark Horse re-published the original black and white version earlier this year. Yeah the story is a little "eh" by today's standards, but it was a huge deal when it came out. When it was originally published, it was *the* sequel to 'Aliens' and it did a lot of wild stuff without just rehashing the movie... and it doesn't even feature Ripley at all.
The colorized version also screws up one of the "twists": that a bunch of the characters are robots. In black and white, you just see these guys getting torn apart and "blood" everywhere, and only later do you realize they weren't human. The colorized version ruins that because the white blood gives it away immediately.

Volume 2 had some great painted art, though. The story has its moments but otherwise kinda spins its wheels a lot of the time, but I'd say it's worth reading for the art:

david_a posted:

A novelization of a comic book, though? Why do you think this would be good?
The novelizations of the comics are hit and miss, but a lot of that is because of the source material they're based on. By and large the novelizations are better than the comics they're based on, if only because they're not limited by comic book page counts and layouts and they're able to take the comic book stories and revise/expand/trim them with the benefit of hindsight. They're also able to expand on characters, address plot holes, etc. Also they're sometimes able to salvage comics that had total dogshit artwork - Aliens volume 3 aka "The Female War" is a huge offender, and a prime example of a pretty drat bad comic series drastically elevated by a novelization. It's still not great, but it at least does some interesting things with the characters and isn't dragged down by awful art.

The sorta-exception is "Labyrinth". The comic is loving great, and the novelization does a fine job of adapting it and it'll do in a pinch if you can't get ahold of the comic series, but I still think the comic is better. Like yeah you could argue that the novelization leaves a lot of the hosed up poo poo to the reader's imagination and that's potentially more effective, but you could argue that about any book compared to any visual medium.

Dog_Meat posted:

Ugh... I'd forgotten about this. International ninja thief girl and pet robot alien. Even as a kid I remember thinking "what the hell?"
I'll defend that one a bit because it takes an otherwise goofy premise and executes it better than it deserves. It's a bittersweet love story about a terminally ill roboticist taking a suicide mission for a miracle cure and everyone dies. It's not fine literature, but I give it credit for attempting something different in the Aliens premise rather than just "mad scientist #41 tries to control Aliens; fails comically" or "Colonial Marine squad #63 shoots a shitload of Aliens; gets massacred anyway".

It also spawned one heck of a unique tie-in book, which wasn't even marketed as a direct tie-in:

At one point in the comic, it's mentioned that the terminally ill scientist built a robotic ant and sent it into an ant hive, and then published a children's book about it. Dark Horse thought it would be cute to actually make the children's book for real. At no point does the book reference anything related to 'Aliens', and the marginalia is littered with notes about robotics, entomology, psychology, etc. It's even got a bibliography at the back; 3/4 of it is actual legitimate science journal articles, and then there's a bunch of references to fictional articles published in the 23rd century. :v:

Biomute posted:

I don't buy into all of SMGs political analysis, but Xenos EU-backed narrative does not naturally emerge in the first movie. The narrative that makes the most sense is for the Nostromo to come across the alien signal by coincidence, after which Mother deviates from the original course to investigate based on "Robocop-like" pre-programmed orders. I believe the first sequence shows this process.

Ash being a new hire is not the smoking gun of company pre-knowledge like Xenos is making it out to be. Ships take on new personell. The existence of robots is not a huge shock to the crew, only that Ash is one. It seems likely that the company have them in rotation to look after their interests.
The smoking gun isn't just that Ash is new, it's that he's also an android, and with specific orders to secure a specimen. Any one of those is easy to chalk up to routine or coincidence, sure, but all three? That's one hell of a lucky break on the Company's part. It always seemed clear to me that Ash's involvement was part of a deliberate mission, even before the EU was "a thing".

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw Doctor Strange over the weekend and it had a trailer for Logan in front of it. I don't know the politics behind trailer distribution or whatever, who decides what trailers go in front of a given movie?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I saw Doctor Strange over the weekend and it had a trailer for Logan in front of it. I don't know the politics behind trailer distribution or whatever, who decides what trailers go in front of a given movie?

There's a poster in the trailers thread that could probably explain it better than I can, but generally it's a combination of when you want to run your marketing campaign and for how long, how much money you're willing to pony up (it's gonna cost more to run before Star Wars than before Assassin's Creed, and AssCreed will still cost more than, like, that lovely lookin' Monster Trucks movie), and what kind of movie it is. Superhero trailers (like Logan) go before superhero movies, comedy trailers generally go before comedies, R-rated movies won't run before PG movies and vice versa, etc. What studio it is also plays a part, like you're definitely going to see a trailer for the next disney movie before a Disney movie, and franchises like DC and Marvel will show the next movie's trailer before the current one. Then again, if you have enough money, you can play your trailer before everything. We're probably getting the first trailer for Trans5mers before Rogue One.

I assumed we'd see Alien: Covenant before Assassin's Creed because they're both 20th Century Fox movies and both sci-fi. I guess I was wrong and we're getting it earlier, but it was not an uneducated guess.

edit: and that's just talking about trailer premieres. Once a trailer is out, they're gonna show it before everything that fits.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Xeno, are you implying that Sam Keith is bad comic art?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DC Murderverse posted:

There's a poster in the trailers thread that could probably explain it better than I can, but generally it's a combination of when you want to run your marketing campaign and for how long, how much money you're willing to pony up (it's gonna cost more to run before Star Wars than before Assassin's Creed, and AssCreed will still cost more than, like, that lovely lookin' Monster Trucks movie), and what kind of movie it is. Superhero trailers (like Logan) go before superhero movies, comedy trailers generally go before comedies, R-rated movies won't run before PG movies and vice versa, etc. What studio it is also plays a part, like you're definitely going to see a trailer for the next disney movie before a Disney movie, and franchises like DC and Marvel will show the next movie's trailer before the current one. Then again, if you have enough money, you can play your trailer before everything. We're probably getting the first trailer for Trans5mers before Rogue One.

I assumed we'd see Alien: Covenant before Assassin's Creed because they're both 20th Century Fox movies and both sci-fi. I guess I was wrong and we're getting it earlier, but it was not an uneducated guess.

edit: and that's just talking about trailer premieres. Once a trailer is out, they're gonna show it before everything that fits.
Huh, thanks! I'll go check out the trailers thread; I'd never really given any thought to how trailers get chosen or if studios have any say about what goes in front of what movie.

UmOk posted:

Xeno, are you implying that Sam Keith is bad comic art?
Nah, just that his Aliens art was pretty drat bad. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sam Kieth took a story about super serious hoorah space marine jack off bullshit and turned it into something you'd find in a Heavy Metal magazine or a Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comic. His artwork's the only sufferable thing about that mini series.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 30, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I told my wife there's a new alien movie coming out and she got excited and looked up a trailer and got trolled by someone who put together scenes from AvP into a Covenant trailer. Then she found some video with a monotone nerd reciting some rumours or insider info on the new movie without taking a breath once. He talked about how it will be about a planet with trees that if you disturb the leaves spores go in your ears and then you get an alien growing inside you like in that awful alien 3 script. He then went on in detail how the first alien will be a "back burster" and explode from someone's back and then X others will come from the throat and Y others will emerge like this or that as if this was an important detail.

Are these just rumours or are they actually going with the whore spore thing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Nah, just that his Aliens art was pretty drat bad. :v:

Uck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

So I told my wife there's a new alien movie coming out and she got excited and looked up a trailer and got trolled by someone who put together scenes from AvP into a Covenant trailer. Then she found some video with a monotone nerd reciting some rumours or insider info on the new movie without taking a breath once. He talked about how it will be about a planet with trees that if you disturb the leaves spores go in your ears and then you get an alien growing inside you like in that awful alien 3 script. He then went on in detail how the first alien will be a "back burster" and explode from someone's back and then X others will come from the throat and Y others will emerge like this or that as if this was an important detail.

Are these just rumours or are they actually going with the whore spore thing?

Seems like they are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Sam Kieth took a story about super serious hoorah space marine jack off bullshit and turned it into something you'd find in a Heavy Metal magazine or a Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comic. His artwork's the only sufferable thing about that mini series.
You're right, the miniseries is pretty drat bad to begin with, but his art sure wasn't doing it any favors. I mean I guess you could make the case that he was the only one who recognized how dumb the whole thing was, and his art reflects that. :v:

To stray a little into the silly "Aliens/Predator vs [inter-company crossover]" territory, the early 2000s gave us a crossover between Aliens, Predators, and Top Cow Comic's Witchblade and The Darkness. It got done in two arcs, one written and drawn by Top Cow staff and the other by Dark Horse.
The Dark Horse one was naturally super-serious (and super-lovely). The Top Cow one on the other hand had an introduction where the writer said "lol this crossover is retarded, check this poo poo out" and proceeded to feature a Predator literally anal-probing a guy because "gently caress it".

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Xenomrph posted:

The smoking gun isn't just that Ash is new, it's that he's also an android, and with specific orders to secure a specimen. Any one of those is easy to chalk up to routine or coincidence, sure, but all three? That's one hell of a lucky break on the Company's part. It always seemed clear to me that Ash's involvement was part of a deliberate mission, even before the EU was "a thing"

I could get on board with that if there was any evidence in the movie that Ash brought the orders to retrieve a specimen with him onto the ship, but in the movie we are explicitly shown the opposite. Clearly Mother gives Ash his orders while on the ship, a big deal is made of their correspondence and we later get to read it.

Reading too much into why things are and are not shown can be unhelpful as at a certain point the answer becomes "because movie". Could the entire encounter with the Alien and the following plot be a pre-planned conspiracy, yet evidence of this is left out for people to find "because movie"? Yes, but I would rather go with the simpler explanation and what is shown.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Biomute posted:

I could get on board with that if there was any evidence in the movie that Ash brought the orders to retrieve a specimen with him onto the ship, but in the movie we are explicitly shown the opposite. Clearly Mother gives Ash his orders while on the ship, a big deal is made of their correspondence and we later get to read it.

To take things further, if Ash had not been reassigned to the ship, the previous science officer would have received the same orders. However, the previous officer might have put his loyalties to his crewmates (not to mention self preservation and basic common sense) above a dogmatic adherence to Mother's orders.

This isn't evidence that Ash was purposely reassigned because the company knew about the alien, so much that without his reassignment the plot wouldn't happen.

Is there an AU comic where Kane, Dallas and Lambert are left on the planet and the survivors deal with grief at the end of the mission? That sounds like the kind of thing that might exist.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Right around the time they started leaking talk about the Aliens reboot some guy did a big blog post about how Aliens 3 was actually good and how, while fans might not like it, Newt and Hicks needed to die and I agree with them. A movie with a living Hicks and Newt will be a much different movie and (IMHO) probably a bad one. Especially when we take into account the kinds of themes, metaphors and messages present in the Aliens movies as a whole (but in Aliens 3 specifically.)

The Aliens series, as it exists right now, builds off of itself with messages of family and loss. While the xenomorph(s) represent things like antagonism [specifically male antagonism], rape, pregnancy, and is a perfect killer and predator. Alien starts with Ripley being the only sensible and competent person on a ship full of idiots making the worst decisions. But her crew are very chummy and very much like a family for her. And when the Alien starts killing people off she's pretty peeved. By the end of the movie she and the cat are the only survivors. In Aliens the series touches on the concept of motherhood, as we learn Ripley had a daughter and see her pain at learning she slept while her child got old and died alone. The Marines are all like their own family and when they rescue Newt she reinforces the Mother theme by becoming Ripley's surrogate child. But not only does Ripley rediscover motherhood and become a mother again but we learn the aliens have a mother too. The flame thrower face off is a powerful scene where we see that the alien queen prizes and cares about her offspring. And the robot on alien battle is just epic. (It's also two mothers throwing down. One to avenge and protect her children one to protect her child and family.) In the end the family of Ripley, Hicks and Newt escapes and it's a good end to the series.

If you're gonna go anywhere from here you have to ramp it up even more. (I'm not sure you could do a Sunday Morning Breakfast but with Aliens movie with Hicks, Newt, and Ripley.) Aliens 3 does that. Aliens 3 is about loss and revenge and it is the natural progression from Aliens. When it kills Newt and Hicks (Ripley's family) and it impregnates her with its own family it makes the fight personal. Now Ripley is avenging her loss. It is good. There is a lot of good stuff about Aliens 3 but I'm not gonna detail it because this post is long.

What I will say is that most fans probably dislike Aliens 3 (I'm one of them) because Alien and Aliens told the story they wanted to see and came to a satisfying conclusion and Aliens 3 poops all over that and continues the themes to their logical end. Aliens 3 "ruins" the Aliens franchise by saying, "gently caress your happy ending." But Aliens 3 is a good movie in its own right and when you look at where it goes and what it does you can learn to appreciate it for that.

However, removing the queen exploding from Ripley's chest as she falls into the furnace is a bad call because I think it's powerful imagery and sends a good message. And it's beyond loving stupid that Ripley hooks up with the traitor prison guy and gently caress that forever.

But it's super cool that the Aliens series is a franchise with a female protagonist that largely focuses on female fears and themes and yet men like it. (Take that, patriarchy!) I could talk for awhile about this but this post is huge now so maybe I'll talk about it later.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

You're right, the miniseries is pretty drat bad to begin with, but his art sure wasn't doing it any favors. I mean I guess you could make the case that he was the only one who recognized how dumb the whole thing was, and his art reflects that. :v:

Art cannot be dumb, only the opinions people extract from it. Especially when they use adjectives like "dumb."

I honestly don't know how you can say his art is "dumb" in that book then turn around and say you're not critiquing his art style as he's been drawing the same way for the past 30 years. Just because he didn't draw your idea of an alien on-model, it's deemed "bad" which is a shame.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Art cannot be dumb, only the opinions people extract from it. Especially when they use adjectives like "dumb."

I honestly don't know how you can say his art is "dumb" in that book then turn around and say you're not critiquing his art style as he's been drawing the same way for the past 30 years. Just because he didn't draw your idea of an alien on-model, it's deemed "bad" which is a shame.

I didn't say his artwork was dumb; if you paid attention to what I wrote, you'd recognize that I was agreeing with you.

I can easily say that someone's art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever. In fact, that's exactly what I did. It's the same criticism levied against Alien Resurrection when people say Jeunet's directing or Whedon's writing are a problem with the film, for example.

Maybe you're the one who's "dumb"?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 30, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't say his artwork was dumb; if you paid attention to what I wrote, you'd recognize that I was agreeing with you.

I can easily say that someone's art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever. In fact, that's exactly what I did. It's the same criticism levied against Alien Resurrection when people say Jeunet's directing or Whedon's writing are a problem with the film, for example.

Sam Keith is my favorite comic artist of all time. But in all honesty he probably wasn't the best choice for an Alien comic. His style is a bit too exaggerated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ruddiger really has it out for Xeno somethin fierce.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Considering you're still posting in your formulaic "well actually..." prose without any sense of irony, I'll just let the text speak for itself.

UmOk posted:

Sam Keith is my favorite comic artist of all time. But in all honesty he probably wasn't the best choice for an Alien comic. His style is a bit too exaggerated.

I applaud Dark Horse for thinking outside the box when it came to some of the art talent they got for some of those early Aliens books. The stories are the worst kind of fanficy tripe (scientists and army people wants to play with aliens so fans can live vicariously through self-insert characters set in a serialized pulp format), but they attracted some real talent when it came to the art chores. Walter Simonson, Kelly Jones, Nelson, and Sam Kieth on those early runs are the only memorable things about those books.

e: apparently Heavy Metal actually printed the original Simonson book, which brings back my comparison to Sam Kieth's 70s alt comix influenced artwork.

e2: and just for future reference, you guys are spelling Kieth's last name wrong.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 30, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well actually...

ruddiger posted:

Considering you're still posting in your formulaic "well actually..." prose without any sense of irony, I'll just let the text speak for itself.
Yeah you didn't understand what I wrote. UmOk just restated what I was saying, in case you needed it spelled out for you again.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah and it's really baffling. Like, put me on ignore instead of being a belligerent idiot every time I post, I guess?

UmOk posted:

Exactly. As ruddiger pointed out, the comic is littered with oorah meathead characters trying to out-macho each other (which is a problem on its own), and Keith's exaggerated style only emphasizes it.

It's a similar problem as when comparing the "quippy" characters in 'Aliens' to those in 'Alien Resurrection'.
It works in the former because it's shot in a way that grounds the characters as merely talking big and not "being" big, and still gives gravitas to action and death so the audience believes the characters are in danger and afraid.
It's less effective in Resurrection because the characters never act like they're truly in danger, and Jeunet's surrealist style and use of Dutch angles further emphasizes the disconnect from reality that isn't present in 'Aliens'.

I'm not saying Jeunet's directing or Whedon's writing are "dumb" (in fact I think the directing is visually interesting a lot of the time), but I understand the criticism that it doesn't "fit" with an Alien movie.

Or to use a more recent example, the art design in 'Prometheus'. A common complaint I've seen is that everything looks too high-tech and shiny and new, and it creates this disconnect from how an Alien film is "supposed" to look lived-in, tactile, etc.

There are a fair number of exaggerated, caricatured Aliens comics, and some work and some don't. The Herk Mondo comics are ridiculously over the top, but once you realize that it's all supposed to be an exaggerated "tall tale" from an unreliable narrator, it makes a lot more sense.

Edit-- poo poo, I forgot to lead with "well, actually...". My bad!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

SMG seems to have a huge hate boner for him too. It's baffling because Xeno is like the least offensive poster in this subforum.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

xeno pedantically respond to every single post in this thread like he had some hand in creating the property or is some officially "unofficial" source or some other goofy rear end self-imposed title, yet all he does is paste wiki info, discards any parts of his fantinuity that he doesn't like, and is generally confused about his own posts.

quote:

Nah, just that his Aliens art was pretty drat bad.

You're straight up calling Kieth's artwork bad here, there's no other way to parse this basic rear end sentence, he didn't change up his artstyle specifically for this one book. He drew the book like he draws everything else. He didn't change his artwork style after he finished the book either. He carried that same style on the Maxx. You say you don't like it because his "art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever" but I ask, what makes artwork "fit" other than your preconceived notions on what it should or shouldn't be?

You either like Kieth's artwork or you don't. It's not that I don't like xeno, it's that I can't stand opinions that sit on the fence, which most super fan opinions do because they're so drat thirsty for anything with their favorite brand slapped on the side, but anything that takes that brand and does something drastically anti-brand like is met with disdain and contempt by them, yet they're first ones crying about getting new and unique stories out of the franchise (see: star wars fans).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 30, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Xeno is always up front about where he gets his information though, so if you don't give a poo poo about obscure comics and wiki info, just ignore his posts. Its not like he claims to be a personal friend of Ridley Scott or that he worked on Aliens. The way I see it he's providing a service, I can ask a simple question about the Alien Universe and get a quick answer without having to do the wiki work myself.

God forbid he ever give me wrong information, then I'd be wrong about that time a Predalien fought a T-Rex Xeno or whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xeno is the least cine-d poster here and thus the most tolerable by far :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

xeno pedantically respond to every single post in this thread like he had some hand in creating the property or are some officially "unofficial" source or some other goofy rear end self-imposed title, yet all he does is paste wiki info, discards any parts of his fantinuity that he doesn't like, and is generally confused about his own posts.

You're straight up calling Kieth's artwork bad, he didn't change up his artstyle specifically for this one book. He drew the book like he draws everything else. He didn't change his artwork style after he finished the book either. He carried that same style on the Maxx. You say you don't like it because his "art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever" but I ask, what makes artwork "fit" other than your preconceived notions on what it should or shouldn't be?

You either like Kieth's artwork or you don't. It's not that I don't like xeno, it's that I can't stand opinions that sit on the fence, which most super fan opinions do because they're so drat thirsty for anything with their favorite brand slapped on the side, but anything that takes that brand and does something drastically anti-brand like is met with disdain and contempt by them, yet they're first ones crying about getting new stories out of the franchise (see: star wars fans).
I just spelled out three examples where a given style may or may not fit with a given topic. UmOk understood my point just fine, what's your excuse?

If you don't understand how an artist's style works with some things and not others, then that's a shame.

As for whatever else you were rambling about, my posts have been opinions about art styles and poo poo, not wiki-whatever that you constantly harp about.
And I don't have a problem with change, but that doesn't mean all changes work. One of the things I like best about the Alien series (films and otherwise) is that it changes up near-constantly, even if every attempt doesn't necessarily "work" for me. That's, like, the opposite of the "unchanging super-fan" whatever that you're complaining about.

Seriously just put me on ignore, because literally everything you just complained about is stuff I haven't done. If you're that delusional that you're screaming at shadows that aren't there, then I think it's better for your mental health if you don't see my posts. :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I do have to agree though with whoever said that those smiley faces you use can be pretty grating.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Especially when it follows a big block of text that ultimately says nothing (which are 90% of xeno's posts, clearly it's quantity over quality with the guy).

Baronjutter posted:

Xeno is the least cine-d poster here and thus the most tolerable by far :)

The only good thread in cine-d is the horror movie thread, guess how many posts xeno has in that thread in relation to this one?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 30, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey there's only one bad poster in here and you're looking at him!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them posting about each other for a goddamn percentage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll tone down the smileys - I can see how it can seem snarky or grating.

ruddiger posted:

Especially when it follows a big block of text that ultimately says nothing (which are 90% of xeno's posts, clearly it's quantity over quality with the guy).
I can't help it if you're illiterate. Like others are telling you, put me on ignore if you consistently don't like my posts, rather than making GBS threads up the thread with your grudge.

Electromax posted:

I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them posting about each other for a goddamn percentage.
How do I get out of this chicken-poo poo outfit?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 30, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I totally agree about the "quips" and think that's why they work in Aliens but don't in other films. When idiot normal people are all tossin' out quips because they're normal idiots in a hosed up situation and that's just how they deal with it, it's fine, especially when the quips aren't really great and actually seem like the poo poo jar heads would toss around to seem macho and mask their fear. When the super unstoppable perfect hero is constantly throwing out really forced little one-liners that would never come naturally to anyone other than a writer who was contriving the whole scene just so the cool badass quip they came up with works, that's when it just generates cringes and eye-rolls.

Really it all comes down to good writing and creating believable characters that actually seem like potentially real people rather than some robot programmed by a focus group session on what people think is cool.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 30, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

I totally agree about the "quips" and think that's why they work in Aliens but don't in other films. When idiot normal people are all tossin' out quips because they're normal idiots in a hosed up situation and that's just how they deal with it, it's fine, especially when the quips aren't really great and actually seem like the poo poo jar heads would toss around to seem macho and mask their fear. When the super unstoppable perfect hero is constantly throwing out really forced little one-liners that would never come naturally to anyone other than a writer who was contriving the whole scene just so the cool badass quip they came up with works, that's when it just generates cringes and eye-rolls.
The quips work in Aliens because it emphasizes how hosed the characters are when the poo poo hits the fan, it's the contrast that shows that some of the characters are all talk.
Not to mention, some of the "quippy" characters like Vasquez become deadly serious as they're sweeping the colony before the hatchery ambush - she talks a good game when they're suiting up or at the briefing, but when it matters she's all business.

In Resurrection you've got Whedon-quips coming out of Johner's mouth every time he talks (and don't get me wrong, I love Ron Perlman chewing scenery) and then he caps it off by hanging upside down on a ladder with pistols akimbo. It undermines the tension because he's clearly untouchable and even he knows it.
Compare that to Hudson who can't shut up, but gets progressively more flaky as the movie goes on and ends up firing wildly as he gets merc'd.

Edit-- 'Predator' has the same effect, when you've got Dutch's team thrashing the rebel camp, and then Hawkins gets offed and they try to keep up the facade, and then Blain bites it and they start to realize they aren't the biggest kids on the block anymore. Quippy works best as a contrast, not as a universal writing style.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, exactly, the quips happen BEFORE the mission, not during the action. Garbage super hero/action movies have the heros tossing out sarcastic or arrogant quips in the middle of battle. In case watching a nearly invincible hero slaughter mooks in a huge set piece battle didn't lack enough tension or danger, they have to toss out the quips just to drive home that no one is in danger, nothing is at stake, everyone is bored and confident enough to think up one-liners as they fight.