Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Empire's Edge is actually the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I used a lot of mortars, and eventually decided that if the cooldown just wasn't hidden, I wouldn't really have a problem with them. Running around spamming Dpad Right to see if I can deploy a mortar yet is dumb. Especially when there is no rhyme or reason to how long the cooldown is. Like I've literally put down a mortal, fired all my mortars, backed out and immediately put down another one. But other times, I can't for like, ages. How is that not stupid?

edit: It's the same with my beef with the spotting cool down. I'm never trying to spam it, but I'm terrible at spotting. "Oh, there and enemy sprinting throught that gap! *R1* poo poo, I missed him, there's another one! *R1* Oh god half the enemy team is going through this gap *R1* still didn't get that one either" And it would have been better to just be shooting at the gap the entire time.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Chemmy posted:

Remember that any damage stops a vehicle from self repairing. K bullets biggest strength is keeping vehicles from fixing themselves while your assaults respawn, resupply or flank.

Yup k bullets are arguably the most useful a scout can be aside from flare gun. The ability to make a tank back off is very loving valuable as they'll just panic and try to run away. Lets your team regroup and hopefully they're more aware of a tank being out there.

Or if you see a tank take a couple of bad explosions, you can finish it off with K bullets.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips for Suez as the Ottomans for Conquest? The British has a massive advantage because they have an entire town and a thousand rooftops to accommodate the billion snipers who play on that map and the have that gently caress-off sand dune that protects them from Ottoman sniper fire and blocks the view from their village. I noticed going south is useful but it seems like every sniper and their sniper dog have their sights trained on that area, so it's real tough. I spam a shitload of smoke but it doesn't seem to help much.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Any tips for Suez as the Ottomans for Conquest? The British has a massive advantage because they have an entire town and a thousand rooftops to accommodate the billion snipers who play on that map and the have that gently caress-off sand dune that protects them from Ottoman sniper fire and blocks the view from their village. I noticed going south is useful but it seems like every sniper and their sniper dog have their sights trained on that area, so it's real tough. I spam a shitload of smoke but it doesn't seem to help much.

There's a building near D with a fixed heavy machine gun on top which I found very useful for controlling the rooftops and ground around C and holding back any advances. Once you get to B, blow the buildings with limpets. There's also a fixed machine gun on a roof at B facing the square which is good for clearing out building campers. Find some field guns and shell the crap out of the village.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

Snak posted:

I used a lot of mortars, and eventually decided that if the cooldown just wasn't hidden, I wouldn't really have a problem with them. Running around spamming Dpad Right to see if I can deploy a mortar yet is dumb. Especially when there is no rhyme or reason to how long the cooldown is. Like I've literally put down a mortal, fired all my mortars, backed out and immediately put down another one. But other times, I can't for like, ages. How is that not stupid?

Yeah I don't get why it doesn't have a little status bar like when your tank shells/bomber ammo reloads really slowly. Maybe it's DICE's subtle way to not create a bunch of piece of poo poo mortar campers who always hide and wait for the cooldown to end. "Alright you've had your fun with your 6 mortar shots, now go shoot mans and PTFO you dumb pubbie human being!" I pretty much don't use mortar at all since they nerfed it, limpet charges are the new kewl support gadget.

Also, I was on PC but it can't run this game for poo poo, now on PSN. Add me goony goon friends: MortLansky.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My beef with spotting is not so much the cooldown but the fact that I have to take my finger off the trigger to do it. It's a subtle change from BF3 (yeah I skipped 4 what of it) but it's hugely impactful to not just be able to mash my left thumb into the select button instead of moving a finger.

It also drives home the idea that I am physically electing to SPOT the mans I have my crosshairs covering, rather than just loving SHOOTING the mans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you're not tracking a medal, can you still score on it and unlock it's stages?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Heh come on now. Why would that be a thing. Next you'll be asking if you can do medal stages in any order. As if that would make sense.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Ol Standard Retard posted:

My beef with spotting is not so much the cooldown but the fact that I have to take my finger off the trigger to do it.

R1 is spot... R2 is the trigger.

Who is insane here? I use my middle finger for the trigger, and my index finger for R1. You're saying you use a single finger for both buttons?!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nija posted:

R1 is spot... R2 is the trigger.

Who is insane here? I use my middle finger for the trigger, and my index finger for R1. You're saying you use a single finger for both buttons?!

Leftover habit from ps3 control mainly. R1 was Fire for my last thousands of hours of shootmans on consoles. I have to consciously force my index onto the bumper and middle onto the trigger. Also (for my hands I guess) no controller has done triggers right since xbox360 and although the dualshock 4 is better than the 3 it is still not very good.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Sometimes I press the touch pad and expect Battlelog to open.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if you dont pull the trigger with your index finger like god intended then the terrorists have truly won

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if you dont pull the trigger with your index finger like god intended then the terrorists have truly won

I'm doing my part! :911:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The campaign is boring standard FPS stuff. Why doesn't this game have a horde mode?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
This is my first Battlefield game, just picked it up on the friday sales.

Game owns, support class owns, mortars own, 100 rounds lmg that is crazy stable owns

Next rank I get a 200 round version of it :vince:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Game owns CONFIRMED

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/eHvy8MT.gif&v=siwpn14IE7E&s=28

DELETED fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sunday at work posted:

The campaign is boring standard FPS stuff. Why doesn't this game have a horde mode?

It does, it's called multiplayer.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Add me to the list of converted artillery truck drivers, goddamn. Spawned into one and went like 30-0 and lasted 25 minutes through the end of a round just blasting fools.

Maybe 1-2 people on the other team tried blowing me up and eventually just stopped coming around my area and let their foolish brethren fall to the meatgrinder.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Goddamnit I switched to the headshots medal because I figured I'd never get that 5 explosive kills in a life and I just got a 6 man multikill from some anti tank mines. Fucker.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

Add me to the list of converted artillery truck drivers, goddamn. Spawned into one and went like 30-0 and lasted 25 minutes through the end of a round just blasting fools.

Maybe 1-2 people on the other team tried blowing me up and eventually just stopped coming around my area and let their foolish brethren fall to the meatgrinder.

Games like that really make it awesome! Unfortunately tonight there weren't any for me like that. Got spawn killed like 10 times in a row, kept getting sniped from a mile away just before the flag was capped and shot beautiful silhouettes around every enemy I went against. Should've stuck with Hello Kitty Island Adventure today. :smith:

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
ok, going to be "that guy" for a minute with my first world problems

bought a ps4 pro and had my new LG oled 4k tv delivered today and it has taken me 6 hours to get everything setup, wired, transferred, and working mostly the way is should be.
several of those hours were spent on hdcp issues the ps4 has with the tv, apparently it's a big issue and there's a test patch out there in some areas that fixes it on some models and will be in a firmware update later, but for now I found a workaround that allows me to game in HDR 4k. Unfortunately I still haven't figured out why my surround speakers aren't working now and have to deal with that.

that being said, I've only had the time to play part of a few rounds inbetween troubleshooting and tweaking settings but HOLY SHITSNACKS! I thought BF1 looked great before but this is some next level detail. Once I get the kinks worked out I'm going to put some serious hours in this weekend.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Sometimes they just line right up for you...

http://i.imgur.com/qwBDUfa.gifv

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am tryiing to teach myself the use of the arty truck, but withouth much luck. Is absurd OP on mount grappa austrian side, but I don't get it anywhere else. I am addicted to vehicles with cheap autorepair powers.

It seems heavy tanks are my thing.

I am also teaching myself to fly better and contribute more to the battle while flyiing. Is working, but is slow. I like the plane with flares and a rain of fire grenades, these are cool.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tei posted:

I am tryiing to teach myself the use of the arty truck, but withouth much luck. Is absurd OP on mount grappa austrian side, but I don't get it anywhere else. I am addicted to vehicles with cheap autorepair powers.

The arty truck has cheap autorepair powers though? Just hit left on the Dpad for an instant 30 something point repair. Plus it's quick as hell so it's easy to retreat if you need further repair.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I blew up a light tank with my BAR last night... didn't know that was possible.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was in a tank last night and I got killed by an AT Grenade even though the tank didn't blow up

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Tei posted:

It seems heavy tanks are my thing.

I am also teaching myself to fly better and contribute more to the battle while flyiing. Is working, but is slow. I like the plane with flares and a rain of fire grenades, these are cool.

Tei my brother I shall help you my friend. Find whatever point is most contested and try to get up on a bit of elevation and good distance away. Zoom on in and start shooting bad guys. One hit kill on a direct hit against infantry and powerful splash if you don't. Strong against armor from the sides and rear but there will be lots of ricochets if you're shooting the front. Make sure you frequently go third person view in order to catch any sneaky snakes trying to creep up on you. If there is a road or choke point nearby drop your mines on it. If you take damage you can back up down the elevation to repair or even to lower your profile so you can still shoot. If enemy armor starts chasing you, run away. Drop your mines and just keep running to some cover. Start hitting the enemy tank from cover while continuing to retreat as he closes the distance. Save your quick repair for any big hits or disabling shots. Machine gun is weak but laser accurate so use it when your main gun is reloading.

Stay mobile. Stay aware. Stay alive.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*takes notes* ok, I am going to try that. :-)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/6wfTbvz.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/ObByLBR.gifv

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tei posted:

If you need to practice aiming long shots with it, try using the field guns lying around; they have extremely similar, if not the same, bullet drop and velocity on shots

e: here's some countersniping on sinai

https://giant.gfycat.com/NeighboringWideeyedGecko.webm

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

How do people not realize that Suez and Argonne are a rush to capture C at the start? The number of times I'm the only one there while 30 of my teammates are standing at our rear point is mind boggling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dinosaurs! posted:

How do people not realize that Suez and Argonne are a rush to capture C at the start? The number of times I'm the only one there while 30 of my teammates are standing at our rear point is mind boggling.

I think expecting the average player to understand the actual strategy of a maps is pretty crazy. Most of them can't figure out basic things like "did you see the 3 teamates in front of you get mowed down as they ran past the door i'm dumping machingun fire into? do you think you should walk in front of it also? Do you think maybe there are enemies in there and that's where the bullets that aren't mine are coming from?"

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

love the guy on the right, just looking back at the camera like "did you see that?"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

Expecting people to pass up free capture points is aiming a little too high.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Got the Hellriegel unlocked and was trying it out. Pretty beastly, it might actually replace the model 10a.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Got the Hellriegel unlocked and was trying it out. Pretty beastly, it might actually replace the model 10a.

Is that the level 10 assault gun?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

The first week that I played, I got killed by that gun more than any other weapon.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Man, the more I read about BF the more bewildering it becomes to try and find an effective loadout / play style. Lots of fun experimenting though.

Main frustration is getting spotting cooldowns because I'm usually spamming R1 to try and lob health/ammo packs at teammates, I find using the d-pad frequently to be a bit awkward. And people just being much better than me obv.

I'm pretty poo poo at shooting, but decent at at least trying to be a team player, I love dem points.

Anyway, requested to join the BattleGoons community. Look forward to being the worst member of a goonsquad real soon, but it'd be nice to play with some people with basic tactical/geographical awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

It's accurate as heck. Others pointed out earlier in the thread that you do run out of ammo with it right quick but if you have a good Support then you can really go the distance with the weapon.