Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

logikv9 posted:

completely unfair that the government has to decide whether a drug is "safe" or "effective", time to let the free market sort that out by gutting the fda too

from someone who works in biotech: FDA regs will probably not go anywhere because they ensure that the only people who can afford to actually bring a product to market are a handful of major organizations. Quality right now is crazy onerous and probably should be streamlined but it won't happen.

e: also you'd need to go in and do things like change around the medical device iso and rip out q9 regs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A reminder that waaaay back, Trump couldn't even correctly name a book of the Bible and was running against a guy who could repeat the entire old testament from memory. He still won evangelicals easily in the primary because he spoke openly about what they cared about most - being an unapologetic racist shitheel.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure this'll sound extremely callus but I think it'll take a huge gutting of those social services for the poor rurals to truly feel the effect of their decision and that them voting against their best interests for so long have finally caught up to them.

As other folks have already said, the opposite is what will occur, because, again, people will find a way to rationalize (and those in power will find a way to 'help' them rationalize) why their problems are the fault of anyone but the people they voted for.

Even if folks come to the conclusion that the government they voted in betrayed them, that's just more evidence that Government Doesn't Work and that leaves them putty in the hands of the next populist (left or right) to come along with a gently caress THE ESTABLISHMENT message, or the next demagogue preaching "it's all the fault of those illegals who took all the jobs and the (((New York liberals))) who took all the money".

In a way, you could argue that the demolition of the welfare state is a (witting or otherwise) factory for hate groups. IDENTITY POLITICS MEETS ECONOMIC JUSTICE BOOM.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fulchrum posted:

A reminder that waaaay back, Trump couldn't even correctly name a book of the Bible and was running against a guy who could repeat the entire old testament from memory. He still won evangelicals easily in the primary because he spoke openly about what they cared about most - being an unapologetic racist shitheel.

A reminder that lemon bars aren't cookies and a fish fry is where you eat battered fish

im partial to the british style of fish and chips with malt vinegar, its good and u should try it itd probably mellow you out

or not

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yet you will have people screwed who
Didn't vote and if the Dems run someone authentic they'll vote for them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Although this does lend credence to the idea that the next Democrat to run in 2020 should be (NOT BERNIE FOR GOD'S SAKE HE'S AN OLD MAN LET HIM REST) an economic populist with a gently caress THE ESTABLISHMENT message.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Can I fish fry a lemon bar?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Al! posted:

every conservative has a special circumstance why its ok if THEY are on foodstamps

My coworker's sister hates foodstamps. He cussed her out over it, knowing she applied once. Shes just mad everyone isn't a maniac like her working three jobs and takes the assistance.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
No idea what we're talking about, but pharmaceutical regulations are written by the Big Boys to cement their market positions and do all they can to maximize profits. They do a lot of good but they also do a lot of bad, and I wouldn't be opposed to someone saying it's time to throw them out and try again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

A reminder that lemon bars aren't cookies and a fish fry is where you eat battered fish

im partial to the british style of fish and chips with malt vinegar, its good and u should try it itd probably mellow you out

or not

I'm not scared by whoever it was who was all WTF IS A FISH FRY but lord am I sad for them.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

A reminder that lemon bars aren't cookies

Vntrve

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Studio posted:

Visit your local State Fair next summer and you will have your answer, and the answer will be that you can fry anything.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Although this does lend credence to the idea that the next Democrat to run in 2020 should be (NOT BERNIE FOR GOD'S SAKE HE'S AN OLD MAN LET HIM REST) an economic populist with a gently caress THE ESTABLISHMENT message.

Message should be. Fire Trump make America actually great. Also plenty of cons can be convinced to not vote.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

NumberLast posted:

No idea what we're talking about, but pharmaceutical regulations are written by the Big Boys to cement their market positions and do all they can to maximize profits. They do a lot of good but they also do a lot of bad, and I wouldn't be opposed to someone saying it's time to throw them out and try again.

^

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

docbeard posted:

I'm not scared by whoever it was who was all WTF IS A FISH FRY but lord am I sad for them.

it was him, i just quoted him. :grin:

Studio posted:

finally asking the real, hard hitting questions around here

docbeard posted:

but who? who dammit... *paces back and forth in front of a white board with a game of DNC hangman written on it*

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

docbeard posted:

Visit your local State Fair next summer and you will have your answer, and the answer will be that you can fry anything.

I couldn't go to Minnesota's fair this year, but I've been to OC's in California and god bless overpriced heart attack food :911:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

docbeard posted:

I used to think "surely that is not meant to be taken literally", and then I heard about deep fried Coca-Cola, and then I understood that you can fry anything.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Rastor posted:

I used to think "surely that is not meant to be taken literally", and then I heard about deep fried Coca-Cola, and then I understood that you can fry anything.

you can fry water if you want to

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rastor posted:

deep

fried

butter

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

docbeard posted:

It was Fulchrum in the Dem 2020 Primary thread, and you shouldn't pity him, he just sucks.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Studio posted:

that would actually probably be delicious as gently caress... you know, if the frying oils don't completely melt the cookie first

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
They ever do fried brownies?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Studio posted:

i love deep fried cookies!!!!!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Message should be. Fire Trump make America actually great. Also plenty of cons can be convinced to not vote.

It'll be too late, America will already be made great again.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

docbeard posted:

Same person who claims to have an intimate knowledge of just how ineffective grassroots campaigns are, despite not knowing a popular medium for it lol. Lord have mercy if s/he finds out about spaghetti dinners, the 4H, county fairs, or pancake breakfasts.

Crowsbeak posted:

They ever do fried brownies?

gently caress yeah they fry brownies.

Seriously though, the Pelosi hate is super wrong. Even when I quoted her I wasn't saying she shouldn't win. She's good at what she does. I was just really really worried about her tone because it was literally "gently caress this guy, he couldn't carry Clinton" when the reality is it's Clinton's job to carry him and while she was dragging dems down, he won in his district. No one in 2008 was worried about carrying Obama, if anything they latched onto him like the last life raft from the Titanic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is there a point to the 2020 dem primary thread anymore, it was fun at first but now it is basically this thread but with less cool posters and more Fulchrum

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

loquacius posted:

Is there a point to the 2020 dem primary thread anymore, it was fun at first but now it is basically this thread but with less cool posters and more Fulchrum

So people can go back in time 4 years from now and point out why we lost the 2020 election.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

so you're telling me you dont want him confined to a separate thread?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

is there a point to anything anymore

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

nope

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Bread Liar
Thanks for all the replies to what I wrote, didn't occur to me that removing social services under a Trump administration would just cause the people that benefit from the services to dig their heels in deeper and blame GOVAMENT instead of Trump.

At the same time, Democrats are terrrrrrrrrrrible when it comes to messaging so even if they fought as hard as they could to retain the benefits, they'd still either somehow get the blame or fail miserably at messaging that Trump et al caused their issues.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
that's why they have to get better

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Louisgod posted:

Thanks for all the replies to what I wrote, didn't occur to me that removing social services under a Trump administration would just cause the people that benefit from the services to dig their heels in deeper and blame GOVAMENT instead of Trump.

At the same time, Democrats are terrrrrrrrrrrible when it comes to messaging so even if they fought as hard as they could to retain the benefits, they'd still either somehow get the blame or fail miserably at messaging that Trump et al caused their issues.

consider: what makes dems terrible at messaging.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Turdfuzz posted:

is there a point to anything anymore

welcome friend

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

omg, deep fried oreos.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

big black turnout posted:

i have no idea who he is i just saw that article title in my google now feed and immediately started getting angry

Ross is the New York Times' extremely Catholic columnist who enjoys skinny dipping with William F. Buckley and thinks premarital sex is the biggest problem in America today.

I would suggest that the Democratic party not take his advice.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

did ross actually skinny dip with william buckley

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

Same person who claims to have an intimate knowledge of just how ineffective grassroots campaigns are, despite not knowing a popular medium for it lol. Lord have mercy if s/he finds out about spaghetti dinners, the 4H, county fairs, or pancake breakfasts.

Yeah, I'm sure that you cannot go more than two steps into the Butler County Fair without hearing about the people's deep and passionate desire to immediately implement a single payer healthcare system.

Oh sorry, I forgot that you can't figure out what the hell you're arguing half the time and need to rewrite it in your brain.

Getting back to reality.

A non Ellisson figure has finally gotten support from a relatively prominent Democratic figure.

James Clyburn, House assistant leader, has thrown his support behind...Jaime Harrison, who I honestly thought had already withdrawn.

To date, no-one has come out in support of Dean.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

does william f buckley suck cocks in hell??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

Yes. On his sailboat. I highly recommend the Chapo Reading Series about it.

• Locked thread