Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

showbiz_liz posted:

Plus of course he is supposed to be wearing the mongoose mask for the entire monologue. But still, it's pretty rad.

That's when he's explaining why he identifies with the mongoose, which is a while before Hurley gives them the masks based on their animal choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there any fan art for Percy Graham the Juicy Wizard?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

That's when he's explaining why he identifies with the mongoose, which is a while before Hurley gives them the masks based on their animal choices.

No, that monologue happens after they get the masks, that's why he's explaining he relates with the mongoose in the first place.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
All of Travis' future progeny will call films "Paul Blarts", as in "Well, shucks, thanks dad, that Paul Blart 'Schindler's List' was prety touching."

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Guys, I'm pretty sure Taako didn't also have perfectly spherical shoulders and elbows either. I'm willing to bet that the character model is not final so the hot pants shouldn't need to be scrutinized...

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Inzombiac posted:

Is there any fan art for Percy Graham the Juicy Wizard?

I found a couple

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFr54IGd08

I don't think this has been posted yet, but it's probably one of my favorite TAZ moments. Petals to the Metal was a pretty sweet arc.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just binge-listened to the last 5 episodes of Petal to the Metal and holy poo poo.

I actually cried.

That was some crazy storytelling. It's enough for me to forgive Travis just pretending to roll dice the entire campaign.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Can't wait till Griffin gets fed up and makes him have a camera trained on his dice hand in the Skype call

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Dude has never rolled lower than a 14.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That joke about the 18 proof cider on the live show was loving amazing though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I feel like the fact that Travis constantly cheats at D&D just plays into his role as the middlest brother

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Asiina posted:

Nah he's filled lower its just he's got a +9 to Strength related poo poo because that's literally all he can do. People complaining about fudged rolls don't seem to understand that without those he probably wouldn't be able to add anything to any fight.

3.X/5 DnD sucks if you're not a caster man.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

purple death ray posted:

That joke about the 18 proof cider on the live show was loving amazing though.

That might be the single most mic-drop joke that the McElroy collective has ever done

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Beekeeping and You posted:

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding when you said SEO Play was a good series

Which thing is this now that's good?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

3.X/5 DnD sucks if you're not a caster man.

Not that that's the only time they suck, but yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ignoranus posted:

Which thing is this now that's good?

A Polygon youtube series

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Asiina posted:

Except when he has advantage so can roll again, then the first roll is bad and the second is always good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Not that that's the only time they suck, but yeah.

It's easier to explain "Fight mans suck in these systems" then try and explain "Basically every numerical and rule based system contained within these version is completely busted, unplaytested, un-usable garbo that only really works if you ignore the vast majority of the rules and just make up poo poo and have people roll (Like Griffon does)."

Serf
May 5, 2011

This video popped up on my Youtube recommendations today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwnEtyAa26g

Way back in episode 35 Griffin refers to a hypothetical son as "Henry" which is pretty cool.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
This is the juciest wizard fanart

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZm0VwIaI4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

>My Dad's Rough Skin!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I'm in a big brass band here in Detroit and this happened last night at rehearsal...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's another one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYo32SUzAK8

the first, if you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9BbOFTIiDk

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

It's easier to explain "Fight mans suck in these systems" then try and explain "Basically every numerical and rule based system contained within these version is completely busted, unplaytested, un-usable garbo that only really works if you ignore the vast majority of the rules and just make up poo poo and have people roll (Like Griffon does)."

I agree with all of those words. You get me.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

just make up poo poo and have people roll (Like Griffon does)."

Players trying stuff and the DM assigning a skill check and/or dis/advantage is the cornerstone of 5e

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

padijun posted:

Players trying stuff and the DM assigning a skill check and/or dis/advantage is the cornerstone of 5e

It is because the designers didn't or couldn't design another type of system. Hell even that is completely busted because there's no real rhyme or reason for what or how to set the DC/Apply bonuses/etc and they never really decided if they wanted to do the traditional +X as item/feat/class skill bonuses or actually use their new advantage system so most of the character option are just mathematically garbage traps. This is all also ignoring the massive flaw in this Class Based RPG where some classes get hard wired Definite ways to interact with the world and change it that the DM can't oppose without just saying "No you can't use your class thing" (Spells and Caster class abilities) while other classes rely entirely on some mother-may-I style nonsense where they say "Can I do this DM?" and the DM has to decide if that player gets to do the cool thing. Admittedly it's not unworkable if you have a good cool DM that isn't a sad angry control freak, which is sadly rare in most Tabletop circles.

Basically TAZ is cool in spite of the system they're playing in and Griffon is a really really great DM and while that's apparent just by listening knowing how busted the toys their working with makes you realize just how good he is at it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Griffin.

Like the mythical creature.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Griffin.

Like the mythical creature.

I kept typing it that way and saying to myself "No that can't be right."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gryphon McElroy, which is a baby bald eagle's head and wings on a kitten's body

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

It is because the designers didn't or couldn't design another type of system. Hell even that is completely busted because there's no real rhyme or reason for what or how to set the DC/Apply bonuses/etc and they never really decided if they wanted to do the traditional +X as item/feat/class skill bonuses or actually use their new advantage system so most of the character option are just mathematically garbage traps. This is all also ignoring the massive flaw in this Class Based RPG where some classes get hard wired Definite ways to interact with the world and change it that the DM can't oppose without just saying "No you can't use your class thing" (Spells and Caster class abilities) while other classes rely entirely on some mother-may-I style nonsense where they say "Can I do this DM?" and the DM has to decide if that player gets to do the cool thing. Admittedly it's not unworkable if you have a good cool DM that isn't a sad angry control freak, which is sadly rare in most Tabletop circles.

Basically TAZ is cool in spite of the system they're playing in and Griffon is a really really great DM and while that's apparent just by listening knowing how busted the toys their working with makes you realize just how good he is at it.

Well the point was 5e is suited to TAZ because it strongly encourages make-em-ups (and gives a few suggestions for it) instead of rigidly adhering to the skill/combat rules of previous versions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

padijun posted:

Well the point was 5e is suited to TAZ because it strongly encourages make-em-ups (and gives a few suggestions for it) instead of rigidly adhering to the skill/combat rules of previous versions.

Yeah but that points pretty dumb when there's a lot of games that do that freeform kind of deal way better and let you do cool things regardless of what you play.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Griffin has done a great job of taking a lovely system and making it into good radio. Most successful actual play podcasts have figured out how to do this, but few are as listenable as TAZ.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't encourage it, it forces it with vague writing, overuse of optional rules and edge cases. If I wanted rules light d&d I'd go with old-school Basic d&d with the d20 roll-under the stat to do stuff. It's basically what TAZ is doing already.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Yeah but that points pretty dumb when there's a lot of games that do that freeform kind of deal way better and let you do cool things regardless of what you play.

I don't want to turn this thread into edition wars, so if you feel fighters are bad, fine

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i've been reading feng shui 2 in prep to run it for the first time and i really want to see what the boys could do with that system

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

padijun posted:

I don't want to turn this thread into edition wars, so if you feel fighters are bad, fine

It's not even edition wars man, I'm talking about systems that aren't D&D at all.

EDIT: Also this

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It doesn't encourage it, it forces it with vague writing, overuse of optional rules and edge cases. If I wanted rules light d&d I'd go with old-school Basic d&d with the d20 roll-under the stat to do stuff. It's basically what TAZ is doing already.

mikeycp posted:

i've been reading feng shui 2 in prep to run it for the first time and i really want to see what the boys could do with that system

Feng Shui is such a fun game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 1, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I don't play DnD at all (Despite wanting to but never finding a group) but it does seem like there are multiple points where any other DM in Petals to the Metal, from what i've read, would have given the gang a game over. One for killing the Hammerhead, another for Tacco being out of spells during the final boss fight Griffin is taking a story first approach over rules and trying not to kill off the PCs. Honestly is I was a DM, thats what I would do.

Also, is the Adventure Zine for sail to people who didn't kickstart it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't play DnD at all (Despite wanting to but never finding a group) but it does seem like there are multiple points where any other DM in Petals to the Metal, from what i've read, would have given the gang a game over. One for killing the Hammerhead, another for Tacco being out of spells during the final boss fight Griffin is taking a story first approach over rules and trying not to kill off the PCs. Honestly is I was a DM, thats what I would do.

It depends on tone, really. Griffin knows exactly what tone he's going for and has shaped the game to suit it.