Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The recipes that require no ingredients are hilariously lazy. Just a piece of toast, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RatHat posted:

The recipes that require no ingredients are hilariously lazy. Just a piece of toast, that's it.

You want decent buffs? You gotta get ingredients (or the Road Trip DLC Gourmand Set for the Crispy Cheese Pizza for 100+ Attack, unlimited stamina and poison immunity for no ingredients).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently you get the Gourmand set from the season pass too. It sounds loving ridiculous. The pre-order outfit is really good too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RatHat posted:

And then they complain about how all they had to eat was a piece of toast. You guys are lucky Donatello made anything for you at all!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You want decent buffs? You gotta get ingredients (or the Road Trip DLC Gourmand Set for the Crispy Cheese Pizza for 100+ Attack, unlimited stamina and poison immunity for no ingredients).

is this actually true because if so loving yuck

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm a bit confused why I sometimes fail the guard+parry thing. I press the guard button when the prompt shows up but it just sometimes doesn't work.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ingis Sciencer gets an idea from having eaten roadside diner french fries. He quickly takes out his notebook and scribbles the rare delicacy 'french fries' in it, somehow never having heard of them before.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm very, very early in the game still (four hours) but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will end up on my dislike pile for the same reason MGSV did - The story has been tossed to the wayside in favour of giving stuff for you to gently caress about with in the open world. No game, being sent on a quest to find 13 tombs scattered across the map (for seemingly no pressing reason) isn't the best way to follow up the inciting incident of the plot.

Thinking about it, there really aren't many Japanese developers that get narrative open world games right - striking the balance between having a varied world full of distractions and feeling like you're actually participating in a story at the same time. I can't think of a successful case off the top of my head. I can see myself shrugging off the new Zelda for the same reason.

e: Also it's buggy as all gently caress. I warp strike-d a mid-air enemy, and Noctis just hung there frozen in the air while the rest of the battle carried on around him.

ee: And the hair looks terrible.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I'm very, very early in the game still (four hours) but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will end up on my dislike pile for the same reason MGSV did - The story has been tossed to the wayside in favour of giving stuff for you to gently caress about with in the open world. No game, being sent on a quest to find 13 tombs scattered across the map (for seemingly no pressing reason) isn't the best way to follow up the inciting incident of the plot.

Thinking about it, there really aren't many Japanese developers that get narrative open world games right - striking the balance between having a varied world full of distractions and feeling like you're actually participating in a story at the same time. I can't think of a successful case off the top of my head.

You're told you need to find these 13 tombs to recover the powers of the kings. It's a direct and pretty unambiguous reference to the "unlock the sealed weapon" thing from FFV.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I'm a bit confused why I sometimes fail the guard+parry thing. I press the guard button when the prompt shows up but it just sometimes doesn't work.

You have to hold it, the alert is for the impending attack.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Ingis Sciencer gets an idea from having eaten roadside diner french fries. He quickly takes out his notebook and scribbles the rare delicacy 'french fries' in it, somehow never having heard of them before.

the best part is that his version of french fries is 'dish and chips'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

the best part is that his version of french fries is 'dish and chips'

I love Ignis's stupid-rear end knockoff recipes. I love the idea of someone who goes to McDonalds and is like "Hmm.. FRYING chicken nuggets. I'll call this Ignuggets!"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Chili con carne became Burly Bean soup (stew?) or whatever and I chuckled at that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

You're told you need to find these 13 tombs to recover the powers of the kings. It's a direct and pretty unambiguous reference to the "unlock the sealed weapon" thing from FFV.

Yeah I was listening to the dialogue. It's just a lame way to shove mindless map hunting down my throat when I was starting to get interested.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Give Ignis a spear and use a spear as Noct.

Then watch Noct jump high into the air, Ignis throws his spear to Noct, and Noct does a rad as hell death drop with both spears and instakill poo poo.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Is the game playable on an old PS4 without giving people headaches like the demo did?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

Is the game playable on an old PS4 without giving people headaches like the demo did?

Yes it's totally fine. The demo was not representative of the final product.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

Yeah, it's not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as the original demo was.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rexicon1 posted:

Playable but not well.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
no wait, the best part is that someone depicted in brotherhood as a reasonably capable pastry chef suddenly got busted down to "all i can make is toast and rice balls" when the game begun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I was listening to the dialogue. It's just a lame way to shove mindless map hunting down my throat when I was starting to get interested.

I honestly don't know what open world games you think do this well then. Even like Witcher 3 is "Oh, well, you might be looking for your daughter but maybe you'd rather trek halfway across the map to hunt a werewolf instead" and that's frankly my gold standard when I think of well-integrated stories in open-world games.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Genocyber posted:

There is no animation cancelling without investing in some of the cool abilities that I don't understand yet - so if your character is in the middle of an attack animation, you won't always be able to get a guard up in time.

I think.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

no wait, the best part is that someone depicted in brotherhood as a reasonably capable pastry chef suddenly got busted down to "all i can make is toast and rice balls" when the game begun

They obviously weren't prepared for a road trip outside of camping gear.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes it's totally fine. The demo was not representative of the final product.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as the original demo was.

Steve2911 posted:

Playable but not well.

Thanks for the info. I really want to play a new FF but that demo really made me sick it was so jittery and close up and I'm not about to buy a Neo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Dude has lunch meat and tomatoes that Noctis stepped in. Can't make macaroons out of that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
they bought all their camping gear at walmart, i don't think they prepared for anything at all

i do like the touch that noct summons his fishing rod in the same way he does all of his enchanted greatswords and guns and spears and poo poo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

they bought all their camping gear at walmart, i don't think they prepared for anything at all

i do like the touch that noct summons his fishing rod in the same way he does all of his enchanted greatswords and guns and spears and poo poo

The crystal is truly powerful indeed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

is this actually true because if so loving yuck

It's pretty goofy.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, if they're cooking over a campfire with walmart gear, where the hell did ignis get a dutch oven/pot for deep frying, and why didn't he go through like a quart+ of oil doing it

are they just reusing the same batch of oil for dozens of batches of french fries, letting it sit in the trunk of their convertible in the desert for weeks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beeeeaaaaaaannnnnssss

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

also, if they're cooking over a campfire with walmart gear, where the hell did ignis get a dutch oven/pot for deep frying, and why didn't he go through like a quart+ of oil doing it

are they just reusing the same batch of oil for dozens of batches of french fries, letting it sit in the trunk of their convertible in the desert for weeks

Given that the car breaks down like 6 hours outside of Insomnia I'm pretty sure they're putting the cooking oil into the car and vice versa.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

If the mornings are any indication, they just leave all their poo poo there and somehow summon all new gear. :haw:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Terper posted:

In fact, let me try out this PS4 recording thingie! My first youtube video, I'm so excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwql4aps-o

Ignis would be proud.

:laffo: @ Gladio in that vid

Now I want to go home so I can play it

Saint Freak posted:

He's from another country and they all grew up in the most insular place you could possibly imagine, so it's actually not that crazy imo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

This game really is sorta a love letter to FF as a series, especially the older games. There's a whole ton of allusions and references to them past the usual series tropes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If the mornings are any indication, they just leave all their poo poo there and somehow summon all new gear. :haw:

If they can conjure weapons out of thin air, they can conjure camping equipment.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

If they can conjure weapons out of thin air, they can conjure camping equipment.

if they can conjure camping equipment out of thin air, why do they always pick the $39.99 black friday sale coleman tent

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How the hell do I modify the regalia and use all these sweet car upgrades I'm finding from Cindy's quests? I can't find an interact point in the garage and both cid and cindy just give me quests\

nevermind I shoulda talked to Cindy twice

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just talk to Cindy until she stops giving you quests.

e: Yes always talk to all NPCs several times

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Devor posted:

There is no animation cancelling without investing in some of the cool abilities that I don't understand yet - so if your character is in the middle of an attack animation, you won't always be able to get a guard up in time.

I think.

Yeah this is it. It feels kinda delayed because you can't cancel, so you have to commit to attacks and not get to greedy about attacking forever when poo poo might be coming. Also swap between fast and slow weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Terper posted:

Just talk to Cindy until she stops giving you quests.

e: Yes always talk to all NPCs several times

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Guess I'm going back to the station after I get home from work.

• Locked thread