Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

People like you want to completely alienate 1/4-1/3 of the democrat voters who are moderates and don't want FULL COMMUNISM NOW, but who also don't agree with the GOP.

Hint: The Democrats cannot win an election if they lose 1/4 of their current voters.

well i mean, at least its better than the republicans, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The Democratic Party are not "Republican-lite", and anyone claiming that at this point is either so insulated from Republican hate that they're functionally blind and deaf, making claims in bad faith, or completely uncaring about people (i.e. minorities) that get hurt by Republican policies. My state's Republican government just passed a hosed-up law that will have women forced to pay for burial and a funeral for an aborted fetus. Shame on you for making this actively harmful false equivalence, and may Trump's horrible policies harm you personally.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'd like to ask these so-called "moderates" to explain the Grand Bargain

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Democrats stayed home, Republicans didn't, counties flipped. That shouldn't be surprising and doesn't contradict my point at all.

I realize this article doesn't have a overall breakdown of who voted what in those counties but that's what I get for fast linking WaPo. . My point was that it's also possible that the same Obama voters threw in with Trump instead. Whether or not they were D/R/I is to be found in the polling data for the stated counties.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I'd like to ask these so-called "moderates" to explain the Grand Bargain

something something have to raise the debt ceiling something something compromise something reaching across the aisle

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its the economy, stupid.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I'm late to the party but the fact that we have to relitigate the fact that Obama is a lovely rear end neoliberal president with people like Angry Ed every 20 pages is a sign that the DNC wing hasn't learnt anything.

How do you defend Obamas retarded Grand Bargain where he preemptively offered a slew of massive entitlement cuts on Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security in an effort to look bipartisan.

Interesting that you ask because I never defended that and no, it was not a good move, even if it was to avoid the catastrophe of a government default. All it ended up doing was highlighting the point (that Obama sadly didn't learn in time or didn't want to learn) that the Republicans are beyond reasoning with to the point when even if you give them everything they want they'll still complain. But i'm glad you keep calling me neoliberal because it's only proving my point that you're all doomed to repeat your same purity test bullshit rather than convincing people to be more progressive. Hell you're all assuming I'm a neoliberal just because I'm not screaming "YEAH gently caress THE THIRD WAY FULL COMMUNISM NOW" and asking you smug hot-takers to actually present plans rather than let you exist in your bubble of thinking delivering sick burns and saying "neoliberal" a lot is actually doing anything.

EDIT: Also the "lovely rear end neoliberal president" is leaving office with a nearly 60% approval rating. Guess you should have smugged harder

A lovely Reporter posted:

The Democratic Party are not "Republican-lite", and anyone claiming that at this point is either so insulated from Republican hate that they're functionally blind and deaf, making claims in bad faith, or completely uncaring about people (i.e. minorities) that get hurt by Republican policies. My state's Republican government just passed a hosed-up law that will have women forced to pay for burial and a funeral for an aborted fetus. Shame on you for making this actively harmful false equivalence, and may Trump's horrible policies harm you personally.

Yeah but see neoliberals :byodood:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Khisanth Magus posted:

People like you want to completely alienate 1/4-1/3 of the democrat voters who are moderates and don't want FULL COMMUNISM NOW, but who also don't agree with the GOP.

Hint: The Democrats cannot win an election if they lose 1/4 of their current voters.

"Moderate voters" don't actually give a poo poo about where any given economic policy lies on the left/right spectrum. They just want more money and more comfort.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Note to the multiple people claiming that turnout was way down versus 2012 and Trump got fewer total votes than Romney: this is not true. The numbers you're looking at were published before all the votes were counted. Heck, all the votes still haven't been counted. Here's the Cook Political Report's popular vote tracker, which is being continually updated.

Romney 2012 votes: 60,933,504
Trump 2016 votes: 62,544,722

Obama 2012 votes: 65,915,795
Clinton 2016 votes: 64,917,448

And again, there are still outstanding votes, mostly in California, so both totals (and especially Clinton's) will be a bit higher.

Sure, turnout was down in some places, but in others it was up. Clinton got 267,000 more votes in Florida than Obama did in 2012, and still lost. Also, it looks like a lot of the places where Democratic turnout fell the most were majority-black areas in major cities.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yoctoontologist posted:

Note to the multiple people claiming that turnout was way down versus 2012 and Trump got fewer total votes than Romney: this is not true. The numbers you're looking at were published before all the votes were counted. Heck, all the votes still haven't been counted. Here's the Cook Political Report's popular vote tracker, which is being continually updated.

Clinton 2012 votes: 64,917,448

And again, there are still outstanding votes, mostly in California, so both totals (and especially Clinton's) will be a bit higher.

Sure, turnout was down in some places, but in others it was up. Clinton got 267,000 more votes in Florida than Obama did in 2012, and still lost. Also, it looks like a lot of the places where Democratic turnout fell the most were majority-black areas in major cities.

now factor in population growth and you get low turnout

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there a reason why people should care about raw vote count over percentages considering population growth?
The electorate grew by 10 million between 2012-2016.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

galenanorth posted:

I think maybe a slogan like "Back to work" would work for "free college", because it would help lower unemployment in the long-term. It'll counter the "free" soundbite and do the Rove/Trump thing about turning weaknesses into strengths and getting out in front of what your opponent's argument.

Wouldn't really work. The number of jobs available for college graduates isn't going to meaningfully change with a higher rate of educational achievement, so selling something this way is a great way to have an incredibly disillusioned voter base and a system that probably won't survive a few elections. Education pretty much has to be sold for its own sake, which is still a very important thing to do. Trying to push college-as-job-training even harder would be a disaster over the long term.

Jobs and the economy would really be an altogether separate issue, except for the fact that we currently use degrees as a job applicant filtering method and minorities and other disadvantaged groups (ie, poor people) have lesser/more difficult access to higher education.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

yoctoontologist posted:

Clinton 2016 votes: 64,917,448

That's half a million more votes. There are 11 million more Americans now than in 2012.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Just to test the waters here, what are the thoughts on John Hickenlooper running for 2020?

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Condiv posted:

now factor in population growth and you get low turnout

Adult population grew about 3%, raw votes grew at least 4.4%, so no. Unless I'm doing the population math wrong.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Doccers posted:

Just to test the waters here, what are the thoughts on John Hickenlooper running for 2020?

Jesus christ no. Hick was a decent mayor and has been an ok governor but he's definitely not someone I want on a national level

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Doccers posted:

depends. can we skip straight to the part where i get to wear a "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Hickenlooper" shirt?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

A lovely Reporter posted:

A lesson that takes 8 years to learn and 7 years to forget

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yoctoontologist posted:

Adult population grew about 3%, raw votes grew at least 4.4%, so no. Unless I'm doing the population math wrong.

no matter how many times i do the math, the number of dem/republican voters grew by ~0.4%, which is vastly outstripped by that adult population growth of 3%. can i ask how you came to that 4.4% figure?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, let's blame the voters rather than blame HRC for being a terrible campaign - a sure-fire way of winning in '18/'20.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

shrike82 posted:

Yup, let's blame the voters rather than blame HRC for being a terrible campaign - a sure-fire way of winning in '18/'20.

Nothing anyone posts here will change the outcome of '18 or '20 either way.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

shrike82 posted:

Lets run her again.

And we'll KEEP running her until America learns. :|

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

remember when people were saying "hillary is terrible, i'm going to vote third party!" and all the hillfolk were like "well we don't need you anyway, we have moderate republicans to replace you!" :lol:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Calibanibal posted:

enough of the counterfactuals, its literally and categorically impossible to learn by examining the past and wondering what COULD have been. We need to blindly grope towards the future without ever, ever turning around to look backwards

This is pretty accepted within the Democratic Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CCh9sk-9l4

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder if Hillary will reach a 3 million vote lead in the popular vote. Jesus Christ that's nuts.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Weirdly, despite how bad it was in the end my county went for a Democrat president for the first time since the mid 60s.

Despite zero effort from HRC.

Didn't matter though because Maryland.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if Hillary will reach a 3 million vote lead in the popular vote. Jesus Christ that's nuts.

Why, that's more than 5 Wyomings!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

remember when people were saying "hillary is terrible, i'm going to vote third party!" and all the hillfolk were like "well we don't need you anyway, we have moderate republicans to replace you!" :lol:

Democrats complaining about Hillary after she had won the primary are garbage and helped Trump win.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Turns out literally every liberal in Wisconsin got the gently caress out

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I complained about her but still voted for her. Trump won because Hillary was a garbage candidate under FBI investigation who ran a lovely campaign full of hubris and complacency.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Sorus posted:

Weirdly, despite how bad it was in the end my county went for a Democrat president for the first time since the mid 60s.

Despite zero effort from HRC.

Didn't matter though because Maryland.

I wonder if we're seeing the results of increasing exodus from Republican-run states. That's possibly another factor. Sure, more people in the big cities who have fled, but that's just making a blue state bluer, and a red state redder.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Condiv posted:

No, I don't remember that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Someone post the Schumer quote please.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

a shameful boehner posted:

I complained about her but still voted for her. Trump won because Hillary was a garbage candidate under FBI investigation who ran a lovely campaign full of hubris and complacency.

That was kneecapped at the very end by the FBI releasing a letter. Both campaign data teams have cited the last Comey letter as when their numbers started changing in favor of Trump.

Sure if she wasn't under investigation that couldn't have happened, but it shouldn't be ignored.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Democrats complaining about Hillary after she had won the primary are garbage and helped Trump win.

Run a better candidate next time under a party that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Turns out literally every liberal in Wisconsin got the gently caress out

It is weird how Red states become stronger the less people they have while fat Blue states get weaker as they gain more.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

no i'm p sure hillary did that when she didn't bother to campaign in wisconsin

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Condiv posted:

no matter how many times i do the math, the number of dem/republican voters grew by ~0.4%, which is vastly outstripped by that adult population growth of 3%. can i ask how you came to that 4.4% figure?

Because over 7 million people voted for third parties. How about you go look at the numbers instead of doing napkin math and proclaiming victory.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

No, I guarantee you this level of entitlement is part of why Clinton lost. This is "complaining about dear leader emboldens our enemies" nonsense.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

larf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It is weird how Red states become stronger the less people they have while fat Blue states get weaker as they gain more.

Someone in a think tank is preparing an article about how blue states prove the dangers of diversity large population centers as we speak.

• Locked thread