Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rime posted:

It's a failure of basic education that people don't realize they are not insuring their vehicles replacement value, that ICBC could give two shits about paying you out for your car: insurance is about covering your rear end against possibly maiming / killing someone for life.

IMO $1600 a year is considerably better than "Surprise, fuckface, you're getting sued for $2m because you broke that cyclists back", but we live in a society where apparently everything should be free regardless of the hidden costs so :shrug:.

This. And if like in Vancouver every car around you is a $150000 German or Italian luxury car your rates are going up because your risk is going up even if your chance of being in an at fault collision is constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No I don't want to pay auto insurance because reasons

don't you dare touch my socialized healthcare

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
OSFI continues to hope that financial institutions will meet the heavy burden and onerous requirement of verifying borrowers' incomes before giving them lots of money, and tying their shoes before running to catch the bus.

Actual quote from the Superintendent: "We recognize that gathering income and employment information for some borrowers can be challenging. For example, it can be difficult to have a high level of assurance for borrowers who are self-employed or who rely on income from sources outside of Canada. Even in these more challenging cases, we are still looking for rigorous yet reasonable efforts to verify income and employment."

It's not really reassuring that OSFI has to repeatedly FIs that they really shouldn't run while carrying scissors.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Health Services posted:

OSFI continues to hope that financial institutions will meet the heavy burden and onerous requirement of verifying borrowers' incomes before giving them lots of money, and tying their shoes before running to catch the bus.

Actual quote from the Superintendent: "We recognize that gathering income and employment information for some borrowers can be challenging. For example, it can be difficult to have a high level of assurance for borrowers who are self-employed or who rely on income from sources outside of Canada. Even in these more challenging cases, we are still looking for rigorous yet reasonable efforts to verify income and employment."

It's not really reassuring that OSFI has to repeatedly FIs that they really shouldn't run while carrying scissors.

This is amazing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Health Services posted:

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe hope *is* a strategy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao gently caress this country

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jhwfung/status/802940198786957312

I don't really know how to post tweetstorms but read all 30+ of Justin's tweets. Frances Bula is a piece of poo poo journalist in the fine tradition of assholes like Amanda Lang and and loving Evan Salomon.

The point is, real estate shitheads are hard at work trying to manipulate media into sympathizing with supply siders and fuerdai.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/jhwfung/status/802940198786957312

I don't really know how to post tweetstorms but read all 30+ of Justin's tweets. Frances Bula is a piece of poo poo journalist in the fine tradition of assholes like Amanda Lang and and loving Evan Salomon.

The point is, real estate shitheads are hard at work trying to manipulate media into sympathizing with supply siders and fuerdai.

You can use storify I think.

quote:

Immigration mega-fraud: the rich Chinese immigrants to Canada who don’t really want to live there

The case of Xun “Sunny” Wang, a Vancouver-area consultant jailed for masterminding the biggest immigration fraud in Canadian history, is startling in scope.

Wang, 46, who was sentenced on October 23 to seven years in prison, conducted his fraud on an almost industrial scale, as he helped rich Chinese clients maintain Canadian permanent-resident status and later obtain citizenship.

Chinese passports both real and fake were shipped in bulk to the mainland, where professional forgers would doctor them to make it look like their owners had been present in Canada when they had actually been in China. Wang would set up his clients in fake jobs at his firms, printing business cards for them and issuing pay slips - adding insult to injury, their fake salaries were so low his wealthy clients were able to file tax returns that allowed them to claim from Canadian coffers tax benefits intended for the working poor.

Adding insult to injury, their fake salaries were so low his wealthy clients were able to claim from Canadian coffers tax benefits intended for the working poor

Letters from schools and lawyers were also forged, as well as lease agreements. Fake mailing addresses and phone numbers were set up.

From 2006 until his arrest in 2014, Wang and his employees at his unlicenced New Can and Wellong immigration consultancies in Richmond are known to have helped 1,200 clients cheat immigration rules. In all, they paid Wang C$10 million (HK$59 million) for his illegal services, the Provincial Court of British Columbia found.

Yet the most significant aspect of Wang’s case is neither the scale of his operation, nor its sophistication and audacity.

It is the motivation of his clients.

Immigration fraud as the public typically understands it involves various schemes to allow unqualified people to live and work in Canada.

Yet, bizarrely, Wang’s case involved clients willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to AVOID living in Canada when they were perfectly entitled to do so, having already obtained permanent resident status.

An example of the forgery employed by Xun Wang. The addition of fake Chinese entry and exit stamps in a passport helped create the illusion that a single long stay in China was two short ones, bolstering the owner’s claim to have been residing in Canada. Photo: The Province / CBSA

Understanding their motivation is key to understanding how Wang found such a steady stream of customers.

Wang’s clients wanted to be able to maintain their PR status without actually living in the Great White North, since their jobs and businesses were back in China. And by faking their presence in Canada they would eventually be able to claim Canadian citizenship, with all the privileges it confers, including the right to live in Canada – eventually.

That anyone should immigrate to Canada while regarding living there as a burdensome task to be endured or avoided might sound weird, but the concept is so common among some Chinese immigrant circles that there is a word for it: yiminjian, or “immigration jail”. The term refers to the period of compulsory Canadian residency (now, four years out of the previous six) which one must suffer before applying for citizenship. Think of a Canadian passport as the get-out-of-jail card.

It needs to be emphasised that this mindset does not apply to all Chinese immigrants - only that subset for whom greater opportunities exist back in China (and only a subset of those). The problem in this instance isn't about nationality or ethnicity - it's about wealth and the commodification of immigration status.

The case against Wang did not state the specific programmes under which his clients arrived in Canada, but they were described as “wealthy” and “well-to-do” by prosecutors. A long-time Canadian immigration industry source with decades of involvement in Chinese immigration said “the biggest single category would clearly be the investor-class [husbands]”.

He was referring to the now-defunct Immigrant Investor Programme and the still-operational Quebec Immigrant Investor Programme. These schemes effectively put Canadian PR status up for sale, to anyone worth C$1.6 million and willing to hand over an C$800,000 “investment”, for a period of five years.

The source said he wasn’t surprised by Wang’s case “although the scale of this was rather impressive”.

Such newcomers are often criticised for treating citizenship as a business proposition – after it has been presented to them as such

David Mulroney, former Canadian ambassador to China

However, he said the case illustrated the inherent difficulty in policing programmes which encourage PR status and citizenship to be viewed as a commodity to be bought and sold, and that for some rich immigrants, what he called “the bigger fraud” begins from the moment that they falsely undertake to live in Canada.

“It illustrates the fact that many of these economic immigrants got their status through immigration fraud ab initio, from beginning to end,” he said. “But this bigger fraud is not so easy to prove…it comes down to the question of intent. There are no documents [that can prove it]. But after 20 years of China being the main source of business immigrants, you’d think that the politicians would have noticed that the vast majority of these astronaut dads do not in fact reside in Canada. Most never had any intention of doing so. The goal is to get the wife and kids here.”

Overcoming this mindset would be difficult he said. He suggested that one way might be that “if immigrants are [supposedly] going to Quebec, give them a conditional visa ‘[to] demonstrate to us that you have resided here in Quebec for the past five years, then you’ll get unconditional permanent resident status’.”

Canada’s former ambassador to China, David Mulroney, in his recently published book on Canada-China relations, pointed out that the problem of investor immigrants heading back to China to earn their livelihoods was one of Canada’s making. “Such newcomers are often criticised for treating citizenship as a business proposition – after it has been presented to them as such,” he writes in Middle Power, Middle Kingdom.

“We’ve been relying on the dubious notion that an applicant’s net worth is one of the most reliable indicators when it comes to predicting the likelihood of a happy and successful transition to Canadian life. What does this say about us to people who are considering moving here?” Mulroney says.

“It certainly fails to give pride of place to the qualities and values that have always attracted people to Canada.”

The fallout from Wang’s fraud continues. Seven of his former employees have been charged; two are fugitives while five were due in court this month.

As for the fate of Wang’s 1,200 clients, Judge Reg Harris ominously warned in sentencing: “I expect the immigration authorities will have to review the circumstances of all those concerned and it is quite likely that some persons will be removed from Canada.”

http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1883085/immigration-mega-fraud-rich-chinese-immigrants-canada-who-dont-really

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Double posting because it's been a long week and IDGAF.

Here is a fancy new tower somewhere in the lower mainland. Largely bachelors and one-bedrooms, occupancy was supposed to have been three months ago but the concrete was hosed. Lets take a look inside:

The ikea cabinets rather than in-wall storage were not included in the square footage calculations pre-sale. They don't show up on the floorplans.

Which I guess sucks when your bedroom loses a shitton of space for two cabinets, and they have that awesome uncleanable gap at the top which is too small for storage but great for spiders to build houses in.

Hope you didn't want to bake cookies, or chicken, or anything really. The fuckin' 28' yacht I looked at last week had a larger oven.

To the left we have a lovely cabinet setup with a built-in mount for a TV. But wait, the wall to the right has the only door to the bedroom, and the living room is so narrow that your couch would be two feet away from the TV if you had it away from the door! Let's also put two baseboard heaters kitty-corner beside each other, but none in the kitchen or entryway, that corner can heat the entire living space despite being beside the patio doors.

At least they recognized there's less floor space than a dorm room in here and threw the owners a bone with the built-in desk unit. You can't see it in the pictures, but there's no power outlet underneath it so it's more of a last great gently caress you really.

This has been your tour through a new-build condo, starting at just $469,000.

:fuckoff:

Can you link the floorplan?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jhwfung/status/803132881274929152

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Terebus posted:

Can you link the floorplan?

lol have fun walking to your patio, and apparently not having the couch face the TV. Or hitting the stove with your dining chair. :lol:

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 29, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Butcher posted:

Hell yeah. I don't have to fire up the baseboard heaters until it drops below zero thanks to all the ambient heat. Currently sitting at a comfy 20c inside, 7c outside.

Wood building though. Do you get the same effect in concrete ones? Not sure if they would insulate better or the concrete would soak up and retain the heat...

I'm in a concrete building and have a similar experience. I don't need to turn on my unit's one (lol) baseboard heater until it gets closer to 0.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

less than three posted:

lol have fun walking to your patio, and apparently not having the couch face the TV. Or hitting the stove with your dining chair. :lol:

LOL there's 250 sq ft micro housing that has better floor plans than that. Yeah you get less space, but at least the space is usable.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

That floorplan is fine, except for the weird part where you walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom. Anything 600 sq ft comes with tradeoffs.

Let's just laugh at the Ikea cabinets with the spider trap on top.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
does the sq footage include the balcony at more than half the size of the bedroom? Because :lol: if so.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The 2015 unit I rent is 100 sq foot less but def more usable because the layout isn't dumb as poo poo.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

less than three posted:

Haha that's a really dumb floorplan but that doesn't look the same. The picture with the big rear end wardrobe by the bathroom doesn't have an exit door behind it.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

does the sq footage include the balcony at more than half the size of the bedroom? Because :lol: if so.

It has the living and balcony square footage separated at the top with the total coming to ~690.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Was able to get my house in Winnipeg to sell on a bidding war last night. A very exciting hour and a half for an extra few thousand dollars. This is my contribution to the Real Estate thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That floor plan is awful, but surely the buyer won't be surprised when their unit matches the floor plan. It's not like they're getting anything they shouldn't have expected.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Terebus posted:

Haha that's a really dumb floorplan but that doesn't look the same. The picture with the big rear end wardrobe by the bathroom doesn't have an exit door behind it.

That's the layout for the bachelor, the spider cupboards were in a 2 bedroom.

Seen at Columbia today: "Hotel inspired living at blah blah blah my Amicon".

This is realtor speak for "Our units be small as gently caress", innit?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Seen at Columbia today: "Hotel inspired living at blah blah blah my Amicon".

I've been in quite a few hotels, some of them quite nice.

Who the gently caress wants to live in one?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

No one, not even travellers; hence the popularity of AirBnB. Hotels loving suck, the only nice thing about them is someone comes by once a day to tidy up for you.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eT-iVP1lIM

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=49.27977,-123.12266,12.289,latLng&t=3.24

Watch a wave of shitbox houses take over the richest farmland in all of Canada in less than 25 years. :magical:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I liked this one from THE CITY OF LOUGHEED (aka lovely traffic-snarled suburbs)

Is your kid is getting too old to share your one bedroom apartment, but you don't want to move to Surrey? Buy a luxury suite at THE CITY OF LOUGHEED, where he can get his own windowless jail cell for only $800 per square foot.

Mr.Shadow
Feb 17, 2011
It's hilarious how 1 bedroom+den are now relabelled 2 bedrooms with little change in the square footage, while getting a massive mark up of course.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mr.Shadow posted:

It's hilarious how 1 bedroom+den are now relabelled 2 bedrooms with little change in the square footage, while getting a massive mark up of course.

That's what developers call affordable housing. Soon they'll be making family oriented 3 br units which are really 2br with a windowless third br

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was going to make fun of the first one but this one is considerably worse

The goddamn washer/dryer is in the loving "Dining Room"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm the two bathrooms that are exactly the same, even though one is called an ensuite.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm the two bathrooms that are exactly the same, even though one is called an ensuite.

Ensuite is defined as being attached to the master rather than size. Because it is a private bathroom it's generally smaller than the other bathroom(s) which are shared and therefore larger.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/803995977774342144

loving lol

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I liked this one from THE CITY OF LOUGHEED (aka lovely traffic-snarled suburbs)

Is your kid is getting too old to share your one bedroom apartment, but you don't want to move to Surrey? Buy a luxury suite at THE CITY OF LOUGHEED, where he can get his own windowless jail cell for only $800 per square foot.

People are currently in tents and deck chairs in a line outside the office for the pre-sale of these units. However, I suspect a lot of it is bullshit given that there was a crew setting up chairs at ~6am on tuesday.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/#v=49.27977,-123.12266,12.289,latLng&t=3.24

Watch a wave of shitbox houses take over the richest farmland in all of Canada in less than 25 years. :magical:

The link lands on downtown. If you folks want to see what Rime was referring too just scroll it down south of the Fraser.

Looks like simcity running on max speed... :stare:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Look at the edge of any populated area along a freeway in the GTA. Ugh.

EDIT: haha no wonder people bitch about Kenaston in Winnipeg. It's like watching a rash spreading.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 30, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/wicary/status/804056414163533826

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

No one, not even travellers; hence the popularity of AirBnB. Hotels loving suck, the only nice thing about them is someone comes by once a day to tidy up for you.

Try staying at the Four Seasons instead of the Holiday Inn.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

blah_blah posted:

Try staying at the Four Seasons instead of the Holiday Inn.

Meh, I'm with him. I've stayed in tons of nice hotels and it's the same mediocrity delivered in a shinier exterior. A quality Airbnb is a way nicer experience.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Look at the edge of any populated area along a freeway in the GTA. Ugh.

EDIT: haha no wonder people bitch about Kenaston in Winnipeg. It's like watching a rash spreading.

Just follow the 400 northbound and watch in terror as suburban sprawl takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Meh, I'm with him. I've stayed in tons of nice hotels and it's the same mediocrity delivered in a shinier exterior. A quality Airbnb is a way nicer experience.

I think there is a clear difference between actual 5-star hotels and mere 'upscale' hotels like the W (ugh) or Hyatt or whatever, even though the latter ones are still $300-400/night. I stayed in a $2500/night suite at a Four Seasons for a few days last month and it was by far the best experience I've ever had in a hotel. I also spent a few days in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver and was very impressed. And it's usually hard to beat the location of top hotels + the ability to get really good room service at whatever random hour you stagger back to your hotel room at.

Of course paying for these on your own dime is substantially less enjoyable.

e: this Harpertar chain is pretty disorienting