Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I had a similar character (demon spawn simply are that) and it's like the game WANTED me to become him. As a child he repeatedly attacked me as some weird creature that scurried away into the night. That made my character infirm and shortly after he died due to it, leaving me as the demon spawn. All stats were 20+, with one or two over 30. After some years of playing he even lost his possession/voice of Satan traits so now I have a viscious ruler with high stats and he's only in his thirties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
IIRC all Demonspawn children do, in fact, actively try to murder their siblings, parents, and anyone else standing between them and inheriting titles ASAP

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Sorry, Elective Duchy and I hadn't moved the vote to him yet (One Man, One Vote). His brother did die anyway but of fever or something. Yeah this guy got the night creatures and the people complaining about him. As an adult one of the challenges is he constantly switches Lollardism any I have to take a big prestige hit to get away from heresy.

Edit: I know elective is pretty cheap but it was the best way of getting Karling heirs in line for Countess Adelaide because she pushed out three kids before the de Vermandois husband died.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Talky posted:

IIRC all Demonspawn children do, in fact, actively try to murder their siblings, parents, and anyone else standing between them and inheriting titles ASAP

Are you still not allowed to plot to kill demon spawn just because they're your kid?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Talky posted:

I've never gotten that to be the heir because every time I've produced a million brats between it and victory and it doesn't do spree killings like modern kids

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you still not allowed to plot to kill demon spawn just because they're your kid?
You are still forbidden to murder your children yes

Dammit Paradox, isn't there a "Destroy Title" console command? I just want to get rid of some of these lame rear end empires and let some chaos reign!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You are still forbidden to murder your children yes

Dammit Paradox, isn't there a "Destroy Title" console command? I just want to get rid of some of these lame rear end empires and let some chaos reign!

Not directly but you can always console the title onto some random jackass who has another equivalent-or-better title, switch to play as him, destroy it (who cares about the -50 hit he'll get), grant independence to the vassals that were under it, then switch back to playing yourself.

I mean if you want to get rid of ALL empires I guess you can't do that, but it's handy to use the Basileus this way for destroying the HRE or the Muslim megablob du jour.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not directly but you can always console the title onto some random jackass who has another equivalent-or-better title, switch to play as him, destroy it (who cares about the -50 hit he'll get), grant independence to the vassals that were under it, then switch back to playing yourself.

I mean if you want to get rid of ALL empires I guess you can't do that, but it's handy to use the Basileus this way for destroying the HRE or the Muslim megablob du jour.
Yeah, I know about that one; you don't even have to destroy it if you turned on the "Titles get destroyed if you don't hold land in them" if you just gift it to some jackass (Iceland is good for this)

There´s also consoling everyone into and independence faction, there's changing the the religion of the top liege and granting everyone independence and a buncha different ways

What they all have in common is a buncha effort, aside from grant_title e_whatever to a nobody if you have the "Titles die" optional rule but you can't enable that in some mods (Like AtE, which is why I thought about it; the Jamaican Empire is dull and boring and should be warring kingdoms, with at least one being run by pirates, not a boring unified whole)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Caribbean seems pretty ripe for stuff like that, but it all seems set up to be the "logical next step" if everything goes as it should. Jamaica looks to be on the verge of civil war once Barrington takes the throne, there's the Mouse up in Florida who could go a few different ways, there's that merchant republic on the coast of South America that has a pirate patrician with sky-high intrigue...

The problem being, of course, that things rarely go as intended. By anyone. I mean, I have had literally two instances of everything working out exactly to plan in my 550 hours of play. Barrington might decide to set carousing focus and just throw rum at everybody, the Confederacy might decide it needs some prime swampland, and the pirate might choke on an eyepatch or something. Who the gently caress knows.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I usually console into the Mouse and have them Prepare an Invasion, same with the pirates. Prepared invasions just don't seem to be working as well as they should and there's way too few Crusade equivalents. This could be fixed with there being a few claimants in some courts that might turn adventurers I suppose

All the Afro-Caribbean religions are also, ahh, kinda dull? Voodoo is the least dull but it's still not exactly exciting compared to the Old World Cultists or Catholics (Weren't Evangelicals supposed to get like, colleges or some poo poo?)

Giving cultures there other than Kriol raiding might at least make it a bit more exciting but it's not a perfect solution.

I've also found it weird as heck that Mormons don't have missionaries galore. There should be some sorta option to send your heir as a missionary for Mormons and have them spread the faith. They should also totally have their own crusades so they don't just die every time to either the Cetics or the Atomicists (or even teh drat Gaians. GAIANS!)

Right now, they're just like extremely stripped down duller muslims, because who cares if you can form a clown car if most of the Mormons are your vassals anyway and the ones that aint are small and can't use it for merchant republic stuff because they're all inland?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Speaking of After the End religions, what's the point of the Americanist president? I've been elected a couple times and there doesn't seem to be anything to do.

I couldn't even grant myself a divorce :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

Speaking of After the End religions, what's the point of the Americanist president? I've been elected a couple times and there doesn't seem to be anything to do.

Even after the apocalypse, the executive branch is still constrained by miles of red tape.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 30, 2016

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

Haven't played the game in ages but still read the thread for comments like this that make me smile.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For the person asking earlier about how to convert an existing country to a merchant republic, someone on the Paradox forums posted the correct way to do it with 2.6. I just tested it as Socotra, and it worked flawlessly.

Prereqs:
1. Be a coastal duke+
2. Have an adult male heir
3. Have 25 prestige, and the ability to revoke titles
4. Have at least two vassals, one of which is a baron mayor in your capital. Easiest is if you just have a single county with a mayor/bishop.

Steps to do it:
0. Make your wife your spymaster so you don't get stabbed during this. Everyone in your court is going to hate you.
1. Revoke the mayor. Easiest way is to just fail to imprison him, siege the city for the extra bit of cash, and then revoke the title
2. Give it to your son
3. Imprison your son and your other vassal.
4. If you succeed, ransom or release both until they are both in revolt at the same time
5. Surrender to the other vassal

Your son will now take over, with the city as the capital. You will own the city and the castle, but still be feudal. To flip it to a MR, there are a few more things to do.
1. Repeatedly imprison the other vassal until he revolts
2. Surrender, while at speed 5

This will make your original ruler the head of your new merchant republic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, I was winning my Council Power civil war against the Kaiser, until he pulled out two miraculous victories against my larger armies, then called in Byzantium-senpai. And then France. 9 years of Civil War for absolutely nothing.

At least I got a White Peace out of it. The Habsburgs of Burgundy are back on track.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can anyone recommend some good start locations and times for a new player? I have been doing the Irish 1066 start but I would like to try something different. I gave Iceland a go but it was a really bad idea. Preferably something small but able to expand, a lot of the suggested starts by the game are a little overwhelming, it took me 2 weeks to work exactly what I need to do just to switch to primogeniture with conclave enabled.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phrosphor posted:

Can anyone recommend some good start locations and times for a new player? I have been doing the Irish 1066 start but I would like to try something different. I gave Iceland a go but it was a really bad idea. Preferably something small but able to expand, a lot of the suggested starts by the game are a little overwhelming, it took me 2 weeks to work exactly what I need to do just to switch to primogeniture with conclave enabled.

I'm currently finishing a Hispania run that's going pretty well. Started off as a two-bit sheikh in Southern Spain in the Charlemagne start, and as of ~1200, I'm god-badshah of just about everything from Iceland to the Baltic Sea. It's a decent start with a lot of room for growth, especially if you haven't played as a Muslim yet.

Kind of strange, though- the Catholic and Fraticelli Popes, neither of whom owns any land or has much in the way of followers, keep calling Crusades against me over and over again. With literally no armies, as I've pretty much wiped out Christendom. I've just been waiting out the clock as the warscore keeps ticking upward in my favor, then taking the prestige/piety bump and decadence reset, but it gets kind of annoying. Of course they won't surrender til it's at a full 100%, and I can't go on Hajj, observe Ramadan or a bunch of other things while I'm technically at war. I like to imagine they're just making mean faces in my direction until they get bored and call it a day

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Phrosphor posted:

If you have Old Gods, Sjaelland is pretty drat fun.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Kind of strange, though- the Catholic and Fraticelli Popes, neither of whom owns any land or has much in the way of followers, keep calling Crusades against me over and over again. With literally no armies, as I've pretty much wiped out Christendom. I've just been waiting out the clock as the warscore keeps ticking upward in my favor, then taking the prestige/piety bump and decadence reset, but it gets kind of annoying. Of course they won't surrender til it's at a full 100%, and I can't go on Hajj, observe Ramadan or a bunch of other things while I'm technically at war. I like to imagine they're just making mean faces in my direction until they get bored and call it a day

Unfortunately they made a change a couple of versions back that let unlanded popes still call crusades, so you end up with this kind of thing. You're best off letting them have a single holding somewhere and then just immediately siege it down when they crusade you. I have a nomad game where I've just parked 5k horses in Rome that are there purely to siege him down every couple of years when he randomly declares war.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone know what laws I need to have set for my HRE game to convert over to EU4 as not a single nation? I went Maximum Imperialism in my CK2 run, but when I converted it over to EU4 I ended up with a single tag HRE stretching from Iberia to Poland. Which would be aggressively unfun to actually play! I figure I could just console my laws to the minimum threshold for the HRE to convert as a patchwork, but I'm not sure what I need to change around.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

binge crotching posted:

Unfortunately they made a change a couple of versions back that let unlanded popes still call crusades, so you end up with this kind of thing. You're best off letting them have a single holding somewhere and then just immediately siege it down when they crusade you. I have a nomad game where I've just parked 5k horses in Rome that are there purely to siege him down every couple of years when he randomly declares war.

Huh. I'm kind of tempted to give them neighboring lovely tribal counties in Finland or something just to see what happens.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Vengarr posted:

If you have Old Gods, Sjaelland is pretty drat fun.

Any of the sons of Ragnar is a good start.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

You can excommunicate people you don't like? At least as powerless religious titles go, it could be worse; you can't even do that as the Cetic Emperor

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Phrosphor posted:

Duchess of Tuscany, 15 Sept. 1066 is a classic one, lets you learn HRE and have a decent size realm without too much micromanagement.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Phrosphor posted:

If you have Rajas of India, Buddhists are pretty newbie friendly since you can always pick your heir.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Phrosphor posted:

It's been a long, long time since I played in this area, so this opinion may be out of date, but one of the Rurikid principalities in 1066 can be a decent start. Your neighbours are mostly either dynasty members (so friendly) or pagans you can attack for territory, and once you've actually formed k_rus it's fairly easy to persuade the other princes to join your realm. I think I started as Novgorod?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I have to call foal on this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I have to call foal on this.
Someone has a great time writing events for Glitterhoof.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Changes to the intrigue screen, including expanded space for Decisions.

Fuuuck yessss :toot:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Is there a DLC I need for the horse event?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TheDon01 posted:

Is there a DLC I need for the horse event?

Conclave

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone has a great time writing events for Glitterhoof.

:negative:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Can anyone post/link a guide on the proper way to divvy up your claimed territories? My little empire is getting kinda big and I think I totally hosed up handing out titles. Wrong govt. types, folks getting jealous for other counties, lots of internal wars, idiots picking fights they can't win. That kinda thing.

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't pick that one up. I grabbed way of life, reaper, old gods, the retinue one (republic?) from the recent steam sale.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 2, 2016

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

Can anyone post/link a guide on the proper way to divvy up your claimed territories? ...

This covers the more important things you can do, especially wrt handing out land:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Distribution_of_power_guide

Of course the *real* answer is that there's no perfect way to distribute things; your vassals are always going to try and build up those own power, so after a certain point you just have to accept that fighting to keep them in line is half the fun of being king or whatever

Edit: and the retinues are from Legacy of Rome iirc

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Talky posted:

This covers the more important things you can do, especially wrt handing out land:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Distribution_of_power_guide

Of course the *real* answer is that there's no perfect way to distribute things; your vassals are always going to try and build up those own power, so after a certain point you just have to accept that fighting to keep them in line is half the fun of being king or whatever

Edit: and the retinues are from Legacy of Rome iirc

I'm not really in full agreement with the guide's suggestions honestly.

For example, instead of prohibiting internal wars, I promote them. If my vassals are busy quarreling between themselves, then they aren't plotting against me. If one vassal does get big, he's generally pissed off all his neighbors doing so, so his power bloc isn't going to be as big as if he'd befriended everyone and convinced them to flock to his banner.

All new titles I distribute to family members, and if they end up congealing into big blocs due inheritance it's not a big deal. I try to hand duchy titles to relatives and only give viceroyalty duchies to non-relatives, if I have the tech for it. I tend to cling tightly to my kingdoms until I have the law to allow viceroyalties. Once I have the tech all kingdom titles remain viceroyalties regardless of relation to the owner, however I still try to give the title to relatives. This allows me to redistribute vassals within the kingdom after the owner kicks the bucket, if necessary. As a bonus, once you have a handful of kings in your empire that are related to you, then you can safely switch to elective monarchy and have a reasonable assurance that you'll never lose your grip on your empire.

The part about maximizing your military strength and keeping it centered around a handful of counties within one or two duchies tops is good advice though. I hold off on retinues until I've upgraded my demense as far as it can go with the tech on hand, since their replenishment drain is pretty significant and will stifle your ability to upgrade your holdings in a timely manner.

Only conduct offensive wars with vassal levies and maybe retinues if you can help it. This way your military strength is always at full potential, discouraging factions from getting ballsy, and allowing you to make short work of them if they do. If you can't take an opponent with just vassal levies, then don't go to war. Same as if you're sitting under a heavy opinion penalty for raising them in a previous war.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Trailers for DLC you can't buy yet shouldn't be allowed, it's just cruelty.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Hi all, I haven't played the game in well over a year, but I picked it back up yesterday and got a bunch of newer DLC, including Conclave. I'm trying to switch from Gavelkind to Primogeniture, but the one thing stopping me is that I don't have medium crown authority or whatever level it needs to be at. It seems that there's no longer an option in the Laws screen to change crown authority, it's replaced with a bunch of other stuff. Am I missing something? Is crown authority now based on some sort of aggregate related to all the other crown laws?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You need Late Feudal Administration instead.

e. In general some of the requirement tooltips have gotten hard to read because anything with a crown authority requirement now reads "this crown authority or this Conclave feature"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Oh dear me posted:

Trailers for DLC you can't buy yet shouldn't be allowed, it's just cruelty.

Posts about DLC trailers you don't link shouldn't be allowed either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWEMq0JiB0Y

Paradox posted:

The bells of the abbey summon monks to prayer while, a continent away, the faithful are summoned by a muezzin’s call. Religious practice imposes a schedule on the chaos of medieval life, and the routine adds harmony to a divided realm.

Routine and harmony. We can’t have that, can we?

The major feature of Monks and Mystics is the addition of Societies – secret and otherwise. Characters can join monastic orders, secret cults and Gnostic heresies. As the society gains members, it gains power and prestige for its leaders. Societies open new actions for characters and can lead to new event paths.

Features:

Monastic Orders: With lay offices available to non-clerical characters, monastic orders will increase your character’s piety - but they have expectations.

Cults: Gnostic heresies may flourish and its is rumored that the worship of Satan continues in the darkened fringes of the world

Climb the Ranks: Characters work their way up the ladder of Societies, unlocking new abilities and triggering new event chains

Hunt for Heretics: Send your chaplain out to find secret societies that undermine the holy church and your realm. But what if the hunter is guilty himself?

Other New Councillor Actions: Your councillors have a fourth action that will make them more powerful and integral to sound rulership

And much more: Assassins, archaeological expeditions, holy relics, great treasures and more

Iiiinteresting. Doesn't appear to have a release date though (haven't checked the Paradox forums yet, granted).

• Locked thread