Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

Sweet, I think I'll try to unlock that now.

Speaking of RM's which ones are considered the best/strongest?

This list is generally pretty good: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/591vry/musthave_record_materia_mciii_edition/

Just don't get intimidated by the size of it, it's just that there are a lot of good RM these days. The only ones I'd consider an absolute must are the two instant SB-gauge RM, as I was saying earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I was afraid of this. I'm back on 50+ mythril.

Help me to not pull again on onion I

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Ehh, I'd say Ace Striker and Battleforged (SB gauge charges faster) aren't quite as necessary as Dr. Mog/Mako Might but should still be beelined ASAP. Making nasty fights in this game manageable is often an issue of SB access, and you'll often have more than 2 SBs you want out really fast. They aren't necessary on pure damage SBs, but stuff like Ark Blast you want to get out real fast, and if you need Wall and a Hastega IMMEDIATELY to not get murdered, there's your instant charges right there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Attestant posted:

^ Something to add to this topic: This is why the best mage RM is actually the now rather old Vivi's RM2, Devotion. +20% Mag, -10% Def & Res.

Yet another case where DeNa realized just how strong the thing actually is, so we've never gotten a raw +Mag% record materia that buffs Mag quite as much.

We also got it absurdly early compared to Japan, too, since they added him and his MC to an FF9 event in global (Steiner's?) right when breaking the level cap was a thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Ehh, I'd say Ace Striker and Battleforged (SB gauge charges faster) aren't quite as necessary as Dr. Mog/Mako Might but should still be beelined ASAP. Making nasty fights in this game manageable is often an issue of SB access, and you'll often have more than 2 SBs you want out really fast. They aren't necessary on pure damage SBs, but stuff like Ark Blast you want to get out real fast, and if you need Wall and a Hastega IMMEDIATELY to not get murdered, there's your instant charges right there.

Even with a native wall I'll RW one just to get it out instantly, then Dr. Mog a Shout or Celes/OK BSSB

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
When do we get desch' BSB? Wrath on an already solid mage is great stuff. Too bad Golbez never got that good, he looks cooler.

drat has luneth always had such a nice skill set? And record dive options?

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Oh poo poo, I didn't realize Desch had Wrath. I forgot I have his SSB; that's a drat good self-buff attack and I think my first Imperil Lightning. I guess I get to take him down to the onion mines then

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

superloosegoose posted:

When do we get desch' BSB? Wrath on an already solid mage is great stuff. Too bad Golbez never got that good, he looks cooler.

drat has luneth always had such a nice skill set? And record dive options?
Luneth was pretty bad until very recently when he got his skillset upgrade, and his record dive only came out with the OK event!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mastered Ahriman, all thanks to that new staff (in Edea's hands). Also Freya's SSB finally coming in handy.

Get hosed you meteor spamming piece of poo poo. I win. Forever.

(Sorry balthier your sacrifice was necessary but you were doing close to gently caress all by the end anyway).

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
I decided to take a look at Refia. 5* Monk and Sharpshooter is a combo I already love on Jecht, and she can also get 4* Ninja so I'm a little intrigued. How good is her SSB in practice, since I also have that?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

use +crit stuff like Prayer of the Lost and Twin Star.

I have my RW set to Twin Star for this very reason. If you have native Shout, you ought to be following me and using it as your RW: BSYf

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Woo! Beat onion event CM, first one since FFV event.

Tried again for Ahriman and immediately got curbstomped. Is Luneth RW stun locking a viable strategy?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not really but he's vulnerable to blind and poison. Use those and he becomes a lot less of a threat.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Vprisoner posted:

I decided to take a look at Refia. 5* Monk and Sharpshooter is a combo I already love on Jecht, and she can also get 4* Ninja so I'm a little intrigued. How good is her SSB in practice, since I also have that?
Her natural Mag is low and the only mage weapons she can use are throwers, so that's...an edge case. You have much better ninjas you can bring, including OK in the same realm, so I wouldn't dive her for it.

Her SSB is good, though! Lets her function independently in a non-shout team, as a phys attacker in a mixed or mage team. Works very well with OK/Celes BSB.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dang, the new FFX event in Japan has two 6* items on the first banner, four BSB or greater items on both, and only SSBs filling out the rest. No unique/shared/no-SB items. Is this the first event with that format?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

Dang, the new FFX event in Japan has two 6* items on the first banner, four BSB or greater items on both, and only SSBs filling out the rest. No unique/shared/no-SB items. Is this the first event with that format?

Yeah, and the second Banner has a Paine BSB and hooboy do I want it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Why is Lionheart preferred over Knight's Charge for the role of "taking damage charges your Soul Break up faster"? Doesn't Knight's Charge also speed up the increase you get from using abilities?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Why is Lionheart preferred over Knight's Charge for the role of "taking damage charges your Soul Break up faster"? Doesn't Knight's Charge also speed up the increase you get from using abilities?

Lionheart is 150% from taking damage, Knights charge is 125% from abilities and taking damage. If there are enough hits coming out, lionheart is going to charge more, like in a situation with magic lure or draw fire.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

paperwind posted:

I have my RW set to Twin Star for this very reason. If you have native Shout, you ought to be following me and using it as your RW: BSYf

I got Eiko's BSB with the +crit - you think I should change from SG to it for my RW?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Koobes posted:

Lionheart is 150% from taking damage, Knights charge is 125% from abilities and taking damage. If there are enough hits coming out, lionheart is going to charge more, like in a situation with magic lure or draw fire.

I like lionheart on my healer if I'm not doing draw/lure. AoE attacks usually help charge up my medicas pretty quickly that way, especially if I'm not just spamming curajas or diagas.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

bilperkins2 posted:

I got Eiko's BSB with the +crit - you think I should change from SG to it for my RW?

People having SG these days is becoming more and more common, so I'd say go ahead with the Eiko BSB. That said, neither choice is incorrect, they are both great.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Did 2 pulls on VIII-1, Squalls jacket, Crystal Glove, and Sorceress's Might. No Laguna SSB or Zell BSB, but I'll take it for now.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What's the better FFVIII banner? My synergy is garbage so I'm considering an 11 pull

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

FeralWraith posted:

People having SG these days is becoming more and more common, so I'd say go ahead with the Eiko BSB. That said, neither choice is incorrect, they are both great.

Alright, yeah. Eiko BSB up, Qb1W if anyone cares.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

What's the better FFVIII banner? My synergy is garbage so I'm considering an 11 pull

Banner 2 is better in general, Banner 1 is more damage focused. Go B1 if you want more offense versus stuff like Red Scorpion's Mighty Guard or Crescent Wish's Dreamstage, which are very strong support and healing SBs respectively.

I did a 50 on B1, got both of Laguna's guns and Zell's SSB. I'm really happy, my FF8 synergy is finally fully shored up :unsmith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dollar pull....

Oh gently caress

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I wonder if forcing the average player to dig much deeper to find things out makes them all the engrossed in the game and more likely to continue playing because lots of games seem to do this minimal in game info thing.
This is what I've heard about mobile games since 2014 when I started playing PAD, which gives no info at all in-game. I'd say it works!

Inge posted:

I'm going to hit 50 mythril tonight or tomorrow morning and will probably pull on Onion 1 again for the Gauntlets. No regrets

Inge posted:

Tried again for Ahriman and immediately got curbstomped. Is Luneth RW stun locking a viable strategy?
It worked for me with a non-CM team with native Luneth BSB and Shout. Don't know if it's viable for a CM team.

Pander posted:

I like lionheart on my healer if I'm not doing draw/lure. AoE attacks usually help charge up my medicas pretty quickly that way, especially if I'm not just spamming curajas or diagas.
I use Knight's Charge on my healer because basically all he or she does is spam cast Curaja so I'm not dependent on AoE to charge meter.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I need FF8 offensive synergy. So I pulled.

1/11, another Rinoa BSB. I shouldn't complain about pulling a BSB but... I need physical relics!

Guess I'll wait and see how this event goes before I rage pull again

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
No OverSquall on an 11-pull, but I hit the two things I actually wanted from Banner 1 and RinoaBurst to boot, so that's Mission Complete to me.

(Squall's Jacket is a dupe of my Rain of Ruin-vintage one)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I got 50 mythril and went to pull on Onion Knight 2 in hopes of getting the sweet staff.

Remember how people said that banner 2 was great and the only way you could lose on it is to pull Desch relics?

Well...

At...at least it's III synergy... :negative:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Holy poo poo! Just did an impulse dollar pull and got Zell's BSB. I heard this is one of the good ones.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

MarcusSA posted:

Dollar pull....

Oh gently caress

Man, I have yet to get anything from a dollar pull.

I'm debating pulling on this; I am rebuilding my egg piles and my mythril stash a bit since losing my mind on the Kain and OK banners, and I could really use some mages with damage SBs of any kind; aside from OK's BSB the only mage damage BSB I have at all is Rydia's BSB, and she's not leveled. Now that I have a faithga in OK, I'd like to try and get some AoE muscle in so I don't eat poo poo on fights like that Flan Master U+. Should I pull here, or hold out for better stuff upcoming?

I'm definitely going to pull on XIV either way; I don't have a native Wall at all, and having to RW it for hard fights all the time gets old. I'm not keen to pull on Keeper's 2 again either, since I did it once already, and I have 4/7 relics on there.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I want to put up my RW information but I've been playing the game on and off for a while and I only have about twenty slots left.

I'd be willing to work with a few people with whatever crappy synergy is available. I do have Squall's BSB so I'll be changing that shortly.

In short.

Roaming Warrior ID is 31MG My non synergy attack base is only 357 currently. ;_;

Use me, throw me away, give me your money. :black101:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

This banner looks great but... I shouldn't. But... maybe...?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

Man, I have yet to get anything from a dollar pull.

I'm debating pulling on this; I am rebuilding my egg piles and my mythril stash a bit since losing my mind on the Kain and OK banners, and I could really use some mages with damage SBs of any kind; aside from OK's BSB the only mage damage BSB I have at all is Rydia's BSB, and she's not leveled. Now that I have a faithga in OK, I'd like to try and get some AoE muscle in so I don't eat poo poo on fights like that Flan Master U+. Should I pull here, or hold out for better stuff upcoming?

I'm definitely going to pull on XIV either way; I don't have a native Wall at all, and having to RW it for hard fights all the time gets old. I'm not keen to pull on Keeper's 2 again either, since I did it once already, and I have 4/7 relics on there.

Well I know Quistis' BSB is pretty good for AoE destruction and just really good in general. Only downside is it's Bio and it's difficult/impossible to Imperil that.

Also that was a 220 Hashmal MP fight that I didn't think was going to work out but turned out we had the perfect party. Had a kind of crappy Bartz and Zidane doing wind damage, a Prishe and Fran that supported like crazy, a Zidane that saved all his damage for the very end when he chain OSBed, theirs and my Y'shtola that traded off Stoneskin II and Asylum and my Curilla who mostly just whacked him with Banishing Strike whenever he decided to buff himself, and a few times dropped Swiftsword for an emergency heal.

Slow as hell but thanks to the Prishe giving Guts with her SB we we never actually lost anyone.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Nuts, Quistis' BSB isn't on this banner. Finishing up the mythril before I do my pull anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After thinking about it a bit I'm a little more okay with my pull than I was initially. Since those swords are for Desch who's a hybrid physical/magic character, that means that for III content, my Onion Knight will have a strong weapon that also boosts his magic, so he'll be great for ninja magic as well as physical stuff.

Is there anyone else other than Onion Knight/Desch who really benefits from a sword that's more geared towards magic?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Incidentally, MND has the same high softcap as MAG, but hahahahahahaha good loving luck ever hitting it. I'm...not sure it's possible? Even if it is, there are very few white magic attacks that hit enough to make use of it.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, at least in JP. 452 equipped MND, +20% from Burst, +30% from MAG/MND buff, +30% from MND/RES buff, +20% MND from RM = 1100 MND.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there anyone else other than Onion Knight/Desch who really benefits from a sword that's more geared towards magic?

Terra, Ashe, Golbez, and Maria can all equip swords. So can quite a few of the ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

iPodschun posted:

Inge posted:

I'm going to hit 50 mythril tonight or tomorrow morning and will probably pull on Onion 1 again for the Gauntlets. No regrets
I got a dupe Lust Dagger and the Gauntlets. Totally worth it

• Locked thread