Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pre-ILMC and then WEC, outside of LeMans, European endurance racing was pretty dead. Course, even with Audi/Porsche/Acura/Toyota/BMW/GM/Ferrari/Ford etc all involved full-time stateside, they were spread over 2 series at the time.

I'm also really jazzed about DPi and IMSA/PWC in general. Gonna be lots of pretty, well funded, potential race winners running in US sportscar next year.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
all we need now is jaguar or someone to come over with a honking big V12 and we're set

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

they unvieled the first BMW art car for a Daytona 24hr and its just white with a few primary color dots and the word FAST on the side lmao

come get urself an art :getin:

its not THAT bad but kinda underwhelming compared to, say, their last one

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Toyota is a Le Mans win away from seeing see ya and if that happens, VW would find it unwise spending 200 mil on racing itself. It's funny the healthiest manufacturer led prototype class and GTE class is in the US right now and not the WEC. Hell with the LMP1 counts down FIA could remove it's world championship designation from the LMP1 class, but they today they gave that distinction to the GTE Pro class.

As for the BMW art car, they just found a hyper pretentious snob of an artist that was trying to be super intuitive but honestly looks real loving stupid. It's why graphic design people do paint schemes and not artists... and I'm an artist.

e: As for Stewart, I'm guessing the Rolex and Le Mans seat are from the same team if I had to guess, specifically one of the LMP2 teams and not a DPi team. I'm guessing Spirit of Daytona.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ok the other side legit made me lol

ive flip flopped, this thing is great now

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
7/10 no car on the door of the car on the door

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Masterpiece if I do say so myself.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Owns.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

CARCEPTION

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That's a pretty meh art car from BMW.

I really really really hope we get another manufacturer into LMP1, I don't want to whiplash from an amazing era to implosion THAT quickly. I mean, it's sports cars, it's inevitable, but still.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd want my money back if they paid someone for that job

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Joker laps in WTCC are confirmed. There's also going to be a WTCC-2 class to make the grids look less barren now Citroen and Lada are gone and Honda are probably going to 1-2-3 every race. Though it's maximum FIA that the second class cars are TCN2 class which I'm pretty sure are only used in the European Touring Car Cup while every other touring car series (except BTCC but BTCC rules) uses TCR specs.

Its a series that needs to be put out of its misery, but won't be so long as Eurosport are paying the bills.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

julian assflange posted:

I'd want my money back if they paid someone for that job

Germans loving love minimalism

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

That's a pretty meh art car from BMW.

I really really really hope we get another manufacturer into LMP1, I don't want to whiplash from an amazing era to implosion THAT quickly. I mean, it's sports cars, it's inevitable, but still.

Yeah, subsequent year LMP1 car counts as LeMans could very easily go 14, 9, 5. And that's assuming ByKolles really do decide to run when they're literally the only ones in LMP1L.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cygni posted:

Amazing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jeff Gordon is taking the 4th seat in the DPi Cadillac with the Taylors and Max

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

:getin:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Now I hope the Smoke rumors are true

imagine if we get Stewart and Gordon battling in endurance cars for the next decade

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Add in JPM and Fernando Alonso and oh gods I'd watch so hard

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jamie Mac and Kyle Larson usually run a Ganassi car, too

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

Get the gently caress in. That was a fun team to be a fan of already. Now it's even moreso; I'd hoped Gordon would wind up back at WTR for the 24.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

let's hope all the NASCAR/Indy Car guys get into their respective cars at roughly the same time during the race, because that would be pretty sensational.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Make sure to tell them that Rubbin' is Racin' works for the old tube-framed DP's but not so much for these carbon fiber ones.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Make sure to tell them that Rubbin' is Racin' works for the old tube-framed DP's but not so much for these carbon fiber ones.

we don't know that yet lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Well, we're probably going to find out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think we're definitely gonna find out, lol

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqP9VE6oW_c

Yeah it's going to be war between the manufacturers. One fun thing about this race, this is the first race for all of the new P2 derived cars. Does this race become a good old fashion survival of the fittest with the attrition. I think there is a chance of it but lately new cars have been having great reliability early on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The ligier and oreca use all the same parts as last year with revised aero, so they are probably fairly bulletproof. The Dallara and Riley are a diff story though, although neither are exactly newcomers to the game.

This is absolutely gonna be a sweet rear end 24hr.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there a preliminary team list for WTSC in 2017?

Unrelated, I might go over for some of the Ferrari Mondiali stuff at DIS this weekend. Can anybody give me a quick and dirty rundown on the different classes running?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

iospace posted:

Add in JPM and Fernando Alonso and oh gods I'd watch so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JqnN04ECro

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there a preliminary team list for WTSC in 2017?

Unrelated, I might go over for some of the Ferrari Mondiali stuff at DIS this weekend. Can anybody give me a quick and dirty rundown on the different classes running?

Sportscar365 has articles from last month of potential teams in each class for the season and Daytona.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

There have been some good, hard P2 fights in the WEC this year. I think the big variable will be the tires, especially for any teams coming in full-time or even just part-time. Conti are using their safe "we know these will survive" compound for Daytona, and the new DPi one will come on from Sebring apparently, so Daytona could be a battle of who gets the drat tires to work.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

There have been some good, hard P2 fights in the WEC this year. I think the big variable will be the tires, especially for any teams coming in full-time or even just part-time. Conti are using their safe "we know these will survive" compound for Daytona, and the new DPi one will come on from Sebring apparently, so Daytona could be a battle of who gets the drat tires to work.

Didn't hear about that. Man P2 cars have a hard time on the Conti's that one with more downforce and power that might be a big wrench on having a good setup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Didn't hear about that. Man P2 cars have a hard time on the Conti's that one with more downforce and power that might be a big wrench on having a good setup.

was mentioned by Marshall Pruett on this week's Midweek Motorsport. Conti will be focusing only on P2 style cars this year, so it'll get better as the season goes along and because they won't have to make something work with two very different cars (old DPs and P2-style cars ala last year), but as mentioned, Daytona is going to use the 'safety' tire -- partially because gambling on tires at the high banks seems rather silly.

I think you'll see the teams holding over from IMSA last year be faster right away. Lack of intimate tire familiarity and a car coming in real hot means ESM will probably struggle, again, early next year. Speedsource should do well, the Caddy teams will have to learn the new car but they'll know the circuits and tires already.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TheRaceTool/status/804835298932850689

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The Thunderhill 25h is this weekend. There's a livestream but it looks like it's just going to be a radio feed with static cameras. Better than nothing if you've got nothing better to do. Green flag at 11am PT.

https://nasa25hour.com/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Gonna miss the first 5 hours of that, gotta work until 6pm ET and won't get home until 6:30 at the earliest, possibly 7pm.

At least it's on youtube so I can easily watch it on my TV when I do get home :goleft:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
This is the thread where we talk about aussie v8 cars right? Can't remember.
Van Gisbergen was bad and took out Winterbottom, but had a few good laps of entertainment value to make up for it in the end, being the last race weekend for the year down here now that F1 and motogp has finished there's nothing else to watch on free TV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate 888, but Van Gisbergen owns and has been the best driver in the series for a while, I'm glad he's exposed Whincup to be a fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

WindyMan posted:

The Thunderhill 25h is this weekend. There's a livestream but it looks like it's just going to be a radio feed with static cameras. Better than nothing if you've got nothing better to do. Green flag at 11am PT.

https://nasa25hour.com/

Flipped this on because I'm bored and it's pretty funny. Super choppy video with commentary that is trying to figure out WTF is going on with someone nearly crashing into a tow truck.

Edit: Everything about this is amusing in the best possible ways. A Lambo ran out of fuel. The commentator guys are trying to stay on top of everything with some dude skyping from pit lane with another dude in a random corner.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 3, 2016

• Locked thread