Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's also Tor Poznan which is a cool track, Donington as well which was the first real good AC track mod. Grab the Shelby Cobra mod as well, it has more model variations than the Kunos one (including the actual racing version) and imo is more fun.

For AMS there's obviously CART and everything Patrick's done, but also the URD Corvette C7R which was officially converted as a free car. The BMW E90 WTCC car is also good since its more or less a straight rF2 conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmlSQZbHM0

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV9wLs7D8g

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:golfclap:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HONKER24 posted:

For us accessory whores, Amazon has had the Thrustmaster VG T300 Ferrari Alcantara Edition Racing Wheel for PS4, PS3 and PC at an all-time low of $299.99 up until tomorrow (select Amazon under other sellers as it's currently out of stock).

Anybody have any experience with this wheel? Sounds like the pedals are meh and there's no H shifter (add on) but is it a noticeable step up from a G27?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Anybody have any experience with this wheel? Sounds like the pedals are meh and there's no H shifter (add on) but is it a noticeable step up from a G27?

I do, and it is very good. The T3PA pedals are good but they don't have load cells, which you really won't get outside of higher end fanatec pedals, but they are perfectly serviceable. The wheel is very responsive, has really strong feedback and has no deadzone unlike geared systems (G27).

The drat thing ripped itself out of my hands when I wound up in a wall in iRacing. The big thing is the wheel is I believe 2 cm wider diameter than most racing wheels, it's only 1cm smaller than the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPWsvO1EPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Y9Qc-JIT4

This is a good review of it, but your version has the much more expensive ($179) 30cm Ferrari wheel (not shown in the top video)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 1, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

hmm, the shifter is $134 ($150 usually I think) too. Seems like something to mull over this afternoon.

Edit: says 3 pedal set, not the crappy 2 pedal ones.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 1, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

hmm, the shifter is $134 ($150 usually I think) too. Seems like something to mull over this afternoon.

Edit: says 3 pedal set, not the crappy 2 pedal ones.

Yeah, T3PAs are just fine. They're not Fanatecs or a custom pedal box, but those two things are basically the only things better than what come with that kit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

no bones about it posted:

Yeah, T3PAs are just fine. They're not Fanatecs or a custom pedal box, but those two things are basically the only things better than what come with that kit.

Thanks for helping me spend more money. :shepspends:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

If youre looking to spend more money yet again the th8a 8 speed H shifter is really good, the shifts are super crisp and the shifter is very solid. Better than any poo poo you could get from logitech imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkHU5fIX9DY

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 4, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I have the t300 (not the Ferrari) and it's a great whern, huge upgrade from the driving force gt.. it will take awhile to get use to the subtly of the belt drive and nor getting jostled each bump but, I feel like I have more control and better road feel with it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If youre looking to spend more money yet again the th8a 8 speed H shifter is really good, the shifts are super crisp and the shifter is very solid. Better than any poo poo you could get from logitech imo.

You can also use it as a sequential or a handbrake.

I guess that 20 min video probably talks about that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know going into this sort of thread and asking about cheap tat is a Bad Move but I'm gonna do it anyway. Are any wheels out there costing less than $100 (preferably less than $50 but I know that's beyond reason) for entry into PC racing? I have a Vive and I kinda want to see if I'd even like sim racing before I spend real money on it.

(yes, i'm aware of the irony)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless you can find something on cragislist or ebay, no.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The cheapest wheel you'll probably want to play with is a logitech g27 if you can find one. It comes with a wheel, pedals (with clutch) and a shifter. You can probably find one for around $200 new because it's been supplanted by the Logitech g29/g920.

Used you can find some, but used Fanatec stuff is still going to cost more than a new g27. Used Thrustmaster will also cost more if you want a shifter and 3 pedals.

Edit: I was wrong. New g27s are actually quite rare and expensive now. Your best bang for the buck on entry level stuff is to get a used g27 on ebay or a new Thrustmaster txm (only has 2 pedals and doesn't come with a shifter)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 5, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

I know going into this sort of thread and asking about cheap tat is a Bad Move but I'm gonna do it anyway. Are any wheels out there costing less than $100 (preferably less than $50 but I know that's beyond reason) for entry into PC racing? I have a Vive and I kinda want to see if I'd even like sim racing before I spend real money on it.

See if someone on Craigslist has an old Logitech wheel. The Driving Force GT can often be found used for under 100.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

If you like sim racing with a controller, you probably like it with a wheel.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

I was more thinking about the converse :v: I like it once and again with a controller, just not all that often.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I finally pulled my computer out of the stone age and can run modern PC games again, so I can bust back out of GT6 for PS3 now. Does AC or any other game feature lower formula cars and Fuji, Suzuka, and Monaco?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think all of those can be downloaded for AC as mods.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Uncle Jam posted:

I finally pulled my computer out of the stone age and can run modern PC games again, so I can bust back out of GT6 for PS3 now. Does AC or any other game feature lower formula cars and Fuji, Suzuka, and Monaco?

Project CARS has lower formula stuff, including Formula Gulf (kit formula cars with motorcycle engines). I forget if it has Fuji and Suzuka (or unlicensed versions), but it has an unlicensed Monaco called Azure or something. It's also a gorgeous game and good way to appreciate a shiny new gaming PC.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I ordered this already with the wheel. :homebrew:

Decided to remake my cockpit since my used playseat I bought isn't super comfortable, flexes when I hit the brakes, etc. Since I'm getting a new wheel, shifter, and pedal setup (whenever it gets back in stock) I figure it makes sense to do it now. So today, I went to the junkyard to find a seat. $20 and some scrubbing later, I have a blurry seat.

It's a passenger seat out of an early 90s prelude. It has lots of bolstering for those g's I won't be able to feel. :v:

Should be a fun little project. Plan is to make something out of wood and see how it goes. Probably some homebrew combination of a DIY ricmotech and this:
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/4661-isr-diy-rig-1-the-deathmobile-wood-rig/

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Talk to blk/bbw, he built his own and would probably talk to you about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Most every game has lower formula cars, the tracks not so much. Suzuka is around as a mod and unlicenced versions of it are in PCars and AMS though PCars does change the layout quite a bit because Suzuka's owners are apparently quite protective of the track's image. There's a rubbish version of Fuji for AC and a better one for rF2 and only PCars has a half-decent version of Monaco outside the F1 games.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Quick question about the Thrustmaster wheels; you can clamp them to a desk, right? Might pull the trigger on getting one after I'm done in Belgium; it'd be a decent upgrade from the DFGT

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

Quick question about the Thrustmaster wheels; you can clamp them to a desk, right? Might pull the trigger on getting one after I'm done in Belgium; it'd be a decent upgrade from the DFGT

Yes they have a clamp and it's pretty nice.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

I think the real question for wheels is not a matter of liking it or not (because you will like it) but if you will like it enough to spend x number of minutes setting it up and putting it away every time you want to play a game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

It's a very good clamp yes, as strong as a hard mount IMO. I hauled on that thing and couldn't get it to budge.

E: I'm talking about the T300 wheel base, can't give any advice on the cheaper wheel.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think the real question for wheels is not a matter of liking it or not (because you will like it) but if you will like it enough to spend x number of minutes setting it up and putting it away every time you want to play a game.

I admit this is a pain in the rear end, especially with 3 monitors. Making sure the angle is correct for the monitors and plugging in stuff is annoying but really it takes <5 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

To be honest I'm kinda tempted to get rid of my cockpit and move back to desk clamping stuff. I don't race as much as I used to and the cockpit seat hurts my butt after a while so I could really use a proper office chair for the computer.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I don't think I could go back after having a cockpit. I would definitely like a better seat, but a junkyard trip and a weekend of work would easily fix that. I also have enough space for a cockpit. Once I move to VR, I might reconfigure my cockpit so it can be used as a normal desk from the side, but it's not too bad.

Then again, I don't play anything but racing games SIMS so it makes sense for me to have a dedicated space for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's the playing other games bit that's hurting. I play racing games sometimes but I play Overwatch every day and a lot of other mouse and keyboard stuff that I can't just throw to the Steam Link for sofa play.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I solved this by just dedicating a room and PC to nothing but racing.

I'm also a known idiot with no self controll.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If I had space to set up a cockpit or something I would probably do the same thing. It is really fun but, depending on the person you are, might require a more permanent setup and one more cockpit like instead of bolted on a desk. I found myself deciding to play other poo poo in my free time because I didn't want to deal with it, even though I still really like racing games.

Of course I decided on all this and then forgot to turn off my iRacing annual auto renew from their last Black Friday sale. I spent an hour trying to get a Steam Controller to work with it yesterday just so I could occasionally run late model or something.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

my problem with a racing cockpit i that I would still be swapping out everything because I play flight sims as well: for civ sims yoke in place of wheel, throttle quadrant in place of shifter; and for milsims, Stick in place of shifter, another shifter holder on the left for throttle, and rudder pedals for both.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

njsykora posted:

Most every game has lower formula cars, the tracks not so much. Suzuka is around as a mod and unlicenced versions of it are in PCars and AMS though PCars does change the layout quite a bit because Suzuka's owners are apparently quite protective of the track's image. There's a rubbish version of Fuji for AC and a better one for rF2 and only PCars has a half-decent version of Monaco outside the F1 games.

Ah that's lovely, some real scenery would be nice to translate over some brake points but whatever, we can deal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think part of the reason I don't play sim racing games often is I have no loving idea what I'm doing. Picked up project CARS yesterday because it has Vive support, and that was all nice and neat and immersive but oh my god actually driving is a nightmare even with the game doing the shifting for me.

Don't think I finished a single lap of a track in an hour :v:

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I'm not the best at racing games, but after a few hours I became much more comfortable with using a wheel and now I feel like I may not even be the worst racer in a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is one of the reasons I would love modern sim racing games to have some kind of driving school to teach new players some basic skills like weight transfer and the like. Richard Burns Rally had a really good driving school as did GTR2 so I don't get why no one else has tried given how highly those games are regarded.