Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FreudianSlippers posted:

Eh Scott is only 78. He's got at least a decade left.

E:
He's so gonna die now that I jinxed it and because 2016 is the worst year.

2016 being the worst year will mean Ridley survives to push more terrible films on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Eh Scott is only 78. He's got at least a decade left.

E:
He's so gonna die now that I jinxed it and because 2016 is the worst year.

My wife and I were talking in the car today about how 2016 hasn't taken many (any?) great directors yet, and Scott was the first one that popped into my head. The next two were Woody Allen and Polanski, so hopefully one of them kicks the bucket instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think many will weep for Allen or Polanski considering most of their best work is from decades ago.

There's three that are going to hurt a lot when they go, but I don't dare name them here. They're getting up there in years and pretty much don't seem interested in retiring.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Spielberg popped into my head, he's gotta be in his late 60s or early 70s by now? Eastwood too, but I haven't seen any of his recent films.

Edit: oh no, Scorsese and Carpenter are old too :ohdear:

Toebone fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 29, 2016

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Toebone posted:

Spielberg popped into my head, he's gotta be in his late 60s or early 70s by now? Eastwood too, but I haven't seen any of his recent films.

Edit: oh no, Scorsese is old too :ohdear:

Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are both great, Gran Torino has a certain low budget charm to it, it's like a late sequel to Heartbreak Ridge.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm gonna be super sad when Herzog kicks it. I like a lot of directors but he's pretty much the only one I can think of where I'd be legitimately upset about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm an optimist. All these great directors could live to be 115 or so and then [insert some futurist stuff here].

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think many will weep for Allen or Polanski considering most of their best work is from decades ago.

There's three that are going to hurt a lot when they go, but I don't dare name them here. They're getting up there in years and pretty much don't seem interested in retiring.

Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are going to live forever because in addition to being brilliant directors they are terrible human beings. If one of them died I'd actually consider the curse of 2016 lifted.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are going to live forever because in addition to being brilliant directors they are terrible human beings. If one of them died I'd actually consider the curse of 2016 lifted.

Eh, their best films are from decades ago. Polanski at least has The Pianist, which is brilliant, but what was his last great film before that? Chinatown?

I've been meaning to catch up on Woody Allen, but it seems like he hasn't really made anything great since the 90s. I thought Midnight in Paris was just alright and haven't seen Blue Jasmine yet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ridley Scott is a lot like Polanski in that he made a couple really good movies and a bunch of forgettable ones (ahead of George Lucas, behind Coppola).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

Eh, their best films are from decades ago. Polanski at least has The Pianist, which is brilliant, but what was his last great film before that? Chinatown?

I've been meaning to catch up on Woody Allen, but it seems like he hasn't really made anything great since the 90s. I thought Midnight in Paris was just alright and haven't seen Blue Jasmine yet.

Match Point is really, really good (though it's basically just a redux of half of Crimes and Misdemeanors), and I heard great things about Venus in Furs (to even it out).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ridley Scott is a lot like Polanski in that he made a couple really good movies and a bunch of forgettable ones (ahead of George Lucas, behind Coppola).

Polanski has made more great films than Coppola and Lucas combined.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Polanski has made more great films than Coppola and Lucas combined.

Nothing as memorable though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only film of Polanski's I've seen that I'd consider great is The Pianist.

Repulsion and The Fearless Vampire Killers left me cold. Chinatown is very good. I haven't seen Knife in the Water, The Tenant, or Tess yet, though.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Looking at his filmography, I see he directed Pirates! starring Walter Matthau. That one was pretty good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Coppola's best movie is Legend and I won't hear otherwise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

2016 being the worst year will mean Ridley survives to push more terrible films on us.

Robin Hood 2.

wait.

Robin Back 2 the Hood.

(a Ridley Scott joint)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Emma Morano, last person alive born in 1800s, turns 117
https://www.yahoo.com/news/emma-morano-last-person-alive-born-1800s-turns-235325870.html

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

But what is her opinion of Polanski's films?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Match Point is really, really good (though it's basically just a redux of half of Crimes and Misdemeanors), and I heard great things about Venus in Furs (to even it out).

Match Point is dreadful. Don't believe him, people!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

I dug Carnage

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Coppola's best movie is Legend and I won't hear otherwise.

Do you mean Scott?

Coppola's best film is The Conversation

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Do you mean Scott?

Coppola's best film is The Conversation

It's hard to pick with both Godfathers and Apocalypse Now in the mix, but The Conversation is in a class by itself.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm gonna be super sad when Herzog kicks it. I like a lot of directors but he's pretty much the only one I can think of where I'd be legitimately upset about it.

I'm fairly convinced Herzog can't die.

The director I'm most concerned about is Scorsese. He's only like 75, but he's still making masterpieces. Cronenberg's getting up there too :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

among uh other reasons

therattle posted:

Match Point is dreadful. Don't believe him, people!

Nah Match Point is really good. Cassandra's Dream was the dreadful one from his "British Thriller" period.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Zemeckis is only 64 :(

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Zemeckis is only 64 :(

drat YOU 201- oh you're saying he's still alive. Gotcha.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Maxwell Lord posted:

drat YOU 201- oh you're saying he's still alive. Gotcha.

Sadly, yes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is the process of converting a movie to 3D in post an expensive one? Does it really increase profits enough to justify it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna guess it's not that big a deal given that it's FX heavy movies where they can just design all the CG work in 3D from the get go.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leavemywife posted:

Is the process of converting a movie to 3D in post an expensive one? Does it really increase profits enough to justify it?
I think post-converting a 2D movie is cheaper than shooting in 3D, but I would be interested to know the answer to your second question. It seems like the 3D fad is dying down so I'm curious if they can really recoup that investment anymore.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Best 3D movies? I liked Hugo and Avatar.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bows1 posted:

Jackass 3D.

If 3D wasn't created to watch slow-motion dildos getting launched over dioramas of cities then I don't know why it was created at all.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bows1 posted:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is the only 3D movie I've seen where I didn't wish I could stop watching it in 3D.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My go to too, it just adds so much to the horrifying experience.

Gravity was super good too. And Dredd used it well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Forgot about Gravity. Good call

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr Strange was good in 3d and I've watched a bunch of other Marvel films in 3d and didn't think there was any point to it. Really wish I'd seen Jackass 3d in 3d.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Comin' At Ya! is basically the greatest achievement the 3D format could ever hope to achieve.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apart from Doctor Strange there haven't been a lot of recent movies where I was thinking "Okay, this was made to be seen in the 3D format so I should seek that out." Last that comes to mind is Gravity. It seems like most fall into the category of "the filmmakers had 3D in mind but it looks just as good flat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'm one of the few who enjoyed Force Awakens in 3D. The added depth in some of the scenes was really nice and they didn't make it too visually exhaustive.