Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really want a Killing Blow Rapier but there's no way in hell I'd ever give up my Swift Slaying Bloodlust rapier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Night10194 posted:

I really want a Killing Blow Rapier but there's no way in hell I'd ever give up my Swift Slaying Bloodlust rapier.

What's the third trait? If it's something you like you can pass on Killing Blow because the third trait of a Killing Blow weapon is usually a drat co-op perk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

What's the third trait? If it's something you like you can pass on Killing Blow because the third trait of a Killing Blow weapon is usually a drat co-op perk

Perfect Balance. I'm thinking if I get a second Orange Rapier I'll try to make that one KB.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
KB excludes bloodlust on rapiers, so unless you are to have no healing at all you will end up with swift slaying normal. Which necessarily means your third perk is...off balance.

That said the first two traits are very powerful so it may be worth it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also by god the old Dualswords, Dualdaggers, and Singlesword are a letdown after the beta.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I found out recently that Killing Blow and Scavenger on the same weapon are possible, but it's broken as poo poo and Scavenger can't trigger when KB triggers. I only got 3 arrows back using such a trait setup on S&D after 200 slave kills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I got DCd after rolling an orange sword and dagger (first elf orange) on an all tome all grim run, and then riiiiiiight as it was opening up I got the "lost connection to steam servers" screen instead of seeing what it had. It still counted, but dang that was brutal.

The game gives you your stuff long before the dice actually says it does (potentially as early as the Victory screen) so unless you DC while still in the level, you never have to worry. The visual dice roll is just telling you what you already got.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
targeteer, skull cracker, & ammo holder on a repeater handgun for kruber :eyepoop:

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Is there a particularly good way to approach this game as a new player? I've just been running around with easy pub groups to try to understand the maps, mechanics, and characters. Ordered a headset so I can join in more organized groups at some point.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
start on hard, imo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if u don't do ur first map on cata w/white gear ur not a true gamer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Play on hard with goons. Easy will let you learn the maps but do virtually nothing to help you actually learn how to play the game, and you will get almost exclusively white weapons. Hard will get you greens and blues typically.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blocking will stop any incoming attack, including those behind you or to the side, just costs block stamina.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Giodo! posted:

Is there a particularly good way to approach this game as a new player? I've just been running around with easy pub groups to try to understand the maps, mechanics, and characters. Ordered a headset so I can join in more organized groups at some point.

Yeah hard is a good place to start.

You don't need good gear to play the game and in fact you will probably not notice a dramatic difference in gear-based performance until you've got some really good stuff under your belt, so it's only really on the higher Nightmare+ that you're going to really feel the difference between green and blue or between blue and orange items. Playing on Easy/Normal is good for learning maps but can actually teach you bad habits that don't translate well into the higher difficulties. For instance, the most important resource in the game is team health - anything you can do to prevent the loss of your health or the health of your teammates is more important than anything else. There are infinite rats, but you don't have infinite health. But on Easy/Normal, it can sometimes feel worth it to lose a little health to kill a bunch of rats. That's less true higher up.

As said, not getting hit is way more important than killing rats, generally. Learn to block and dodge and push as part of your regular dance of death.

Never stop looking around. I get killed by clanrats more than I care to admit, probably more frequently than I get killed by ogres, packmasters, and assassins combined. They have a magnetic attraction to your butt and the butts of your teammates, so never stop watching that flank.

The elf being bad is a thread meme but it's not really true. It's just that, for some reason, bad players love the elf. Also her character is a whiny jerk.

Which characters have you enjoyed playing so far?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even without the patch-fixes, fighting Roger with the dual daggers is fun and effective as hell.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mendrian posted:

The elf being bad is a thread meme but it's not really true. It's just that, for some reason, bad players love the elf. Also her character is a whiny jerk.

Until the changes from the most recent beta are implemented, the elf is the only character who has weapons that let her move at full speed while blocking, and the trueflight bow in its current incarnation has an extremely low skill threshold to obliterate specials. She can run through the level without slowing down and while being invincible to the first 2-3 hits she takes, so frequently players who play only elf will be in the front of the team, ignoring allies who are slowed down by needing to fight rats behind them, and get further and further away from the team until they inevitably get betrayed by their trueflight bow targeting the wrong rat, get jumped by an assassin and die because nobody is close enough to help them. The elf has by far the most abrasive personality of the characters, so seeing elf players die alone over and over while the elf character whines and insults the rest of the team non-stop means she's become the thread's favorite character to dump on.

If played in a less stupid fashion the elf can be a team player the same as anyone, but get used to hearing her never stop whining about everything.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Everyone says the Elf insults the team non-stop but when actual dialogue never plays and you only ever hear complaints about friendly fire between people then it doesn't seem that way to me :grin:

In lieu of an actual thread dedicated to it, how do people feel about Deathwing? I only know one person who says it's ok but everywhere I turn are people roasting it and calling it a flop before it's even released :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a deathwing thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The people enjoying it are the ones who recognize Streum On's work ethic from EYE Divine Cybermancy, so they're used to the jank. Others are just regular 40K fans who are annoyed at the beta's bugginess. And with a story written by Gav Thorpe, the dialogue and plot are not going to be anywhere near as endearing as Vermintide.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deathwing does not allow me to validate the malus to the degree that EYE did, nor does it provide metastrudel forces to shoot.

It may yet be okay, but it's no EYE Divine Cybermancy. No-one is off to the red border of the known universe at all!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really hope no one is buying a game from streum on because they like to play "good games"

That studio's primary export is not quality, it's hilarity

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was basically instantly disappointed when hacking was not some kind of real-time JRPG battle.

I wish I had my patched weapons back. The knives are still fun but they're lacking the pep and slide they had during the beta.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Deathwing does not allow me to validate the malus to the degree that EYE did, nor does it provide metastrudel forces to shoot.

It may yet be okay, but it's no EYE Divine Cybermancy. No-one is off to the red border of the known universe at all!

Now this is worrying. Were any sweet gangsta melodies composed?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

catch catch

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Night10194 posted:

do the weapons feel anything like EYE? i still fire it iup because there's nothing quite like gibbing a fed at 20m with the depezador

also EYE had some of the best character responses ive seen

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
attack from shadows!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Deathwing is primarily meant a single player game but people really want it to be the next L4D or Vermintide and are bitching about it because it's not. The art design and sheer commitment to the setting are crazy good (you can even zoom in on and read almost every scrap of text including purity seals) while there are some problems with optimization. Weapons are good, melee feels exacty the same as E.Y.E. and is just as useful.
There now you can go back to talking about rats instead of space rats. Actually I wish there were space rats in 40k some humor would be nice.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

catch catch

This has got to be like six kinds of heresy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Deathwing is primarily meant a single player game but people really want it to be the next L4D or Vermintide and are bitching about it because it's not. The art design and sheer commitment to the setting are crazy good (you can even zoom in on and read almost every scrap of text including purity seals) while there are some problems with optimization. Weapons are good, melee feels exacty the same as E.Y.E. and is just as useful.
There now you can go back to talking about rats instead of space rats. Actually I wish there were space rats in 40k some humor would be nice.

well there's always mantic i guess

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

This has got to be like six kinds of heresy.

and they're all ADORABLE.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

do the weapons feel anything like EYE? i still fire it iup because there's nothing quite like gibbing a fed at 20m with the depezador

also EYE had some of the best character responses ive seen

The Thunderhammer explodes with shockwaves when it hits and will blow up multiple genestealers at a time. I'll slam the floor to get them off other people. Melee is pretty strong in coop

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DLC announced for December 15th. :toot:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Treasure just for logging in! A new one every day until Christmas, I think - a Warhammer advent calendar. Blue volley crossbow today; especially cool for non-Drachenfels players like I still am!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

DLC announced for December 15th. :toot:

What a joke

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you're a joke

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hopefully it's so they can fix issues with the new map and not gently caress with the beta balance in ways like un-nerfing the bolt staff and un-buffing the axe/shotguns because seriously, the balance felt great in the beta

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bolt Staff will get nerfed again, AoE attacks will be removed from the game, Bardin will become an unplayable NPC in the inn, and every Clan Rat will become Stormvermin.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Where in the gently caress are these updates for the console versions?!

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
So I joined.

Is there a guild or clan or something to join and make matches through or is it all done through steam friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rap Three Times posted:

So I joined.

Is there a guild or clan or something to join and make matches through or is it all done through steam friends?

Link your steam account and you'll get an invite to Goonintide Steam Group.

• Locked thread