Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

on another note, my greatest joy on sa right now is just reporting every transphobic post i see. doing my part to fill up the leper's colony. i wish they could like deputize me as a roving ik or something so i didn't get capped at 7 assholes per day.

on the thought leader front, you could probably link additional posts to report itt when you run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

it's literally so that patients' gender identities are shown instead of their legal/birth sex except when it's absolutely clinically necessary to show that data. basically to keep backward dickhead receptionists from calling patients by the wrong titles and pronouns just to be dicks.

we're hiding the original sex and name from mental health workers by default to because of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...der-son-a-girl/

This is very good + cool.

on another note, my greatest joy on sa right now is just reporting every transphobic post i see. doing my part to fill up the leper's colony. i wish they could like deputize me as a roving ik or something so i didn't get capped at 7 assholes per day.

Rock on. Glad to hear the mods are taking transphobia seriously.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok i wrote the intro but i think my typing is waking the mistress up. but i actually started something for once.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

you misunderstand. this is my entire point. sex/gender is not a physical attribute. neither has any real bearing. sex has correlations with size, anatomy, hormones, etc, but it is not a guaranteed predictor. you're performing medicine-by-proxy when using sex or gender for these calculations. a big part of this push is moving people toward using the actual data they want (size, serum hormone levels, anatomy, blood pressure, etc).

there's only a handful of scenarios where the sex is clinically relevant:
*you are doing something to the actual genitals
*you are prescribing a medication that interacts differently with XX people vs XY people
*you specialize in care for intersex people
*you specialize in care for transgender people

in most other circumstances, there's better ways to get the data you want. for example, traditionally they have male and female ranges for kidney function tests, but while these are statistically correlated, what they've found is that the correlation was down to birth sex being a proxy for weight and so the tests were inaccurate for larger women and smaller men. outside of the specific ways that certain drugs interact with estrogen vs testosterone, and the fact that uterus-havers get pregnant and have periods, the differences between the sexes are mostly cosmetic (yes, i'm classing things like shape and size of bones as cosmetic here).

consequently, because programmers generally don't know poo poo about this kind of thing your average emr (us included up until now) basically codified a lot of bad habits of medicine by using the patient's sex for all sorts of clinical decisions.

Worse still, we didn't have any standardized way to store the gender identity, or to hide a patient's legal name if they had a preferred name, which both meant lots of embarrassing honest mistakes where patients were addressed wrong, and also giving information to malicious people who then used it wrong (like in the article I linked above). basically, if you're developing software for a particular field you drat well better understand the subject matter in depth or you're going to get something wrong and her people. we had a workflow where you couldn't admit someone into the delivery ward if they were male, which is patently absurd because transmen can get pregnant even on T if they still have their uteruses. why would the software ever need to check someone's sex on admission for delivery? surely if someone is having a baby, this will be obvious to the doctors and you don't need an advisory from clippy going "hey, did you check whether this babyhaver is a lady?".

sorry if this is a lot of moderately off-topic information. i have a lot of pet-peeves in this area because as an out transwoman everyone and their loving brother just treats me like im supposed to have the answers to all their questions when they need to do development related to sex. just because im trans doesnt mean im obligated to be ur educator ppl :sigh:

this is actually v interesting and thank you for posting it on our dead gay computer forum.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

my pet theory is that hardware engineers dont know how to make software so the associated software is bad.

don't doxx me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bloody posted:

I think it is safe to say there is a finite number of genders because there is a finite number of everything

wrong!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

lmo become a Thought Leader

she already is where it counts, among the key influencers of one of the most important dead forums on the Internet

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i mean, the long and short is that sex and gender don't actually exist in any meaningful way. there are just various traits and features that societies attach more and less importance to and categorize in arbitrary ways. it's like race. it's only real because we've glued so much bullshit to it.

isn't there a contradiction between "gender is just an idea invented and propagated by society" and "I am undeniably mentally a different gender than the gender I was raised as and whose genitals I possess"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fleshweasel posted:

isn't there a contradiction between "gender is just an idea invented and propagated by society" and "I am undeniably mentally a different gender than the gender I was raised as and whose genitals I possess"

remind me to respond when not on ambien. what i just deleted from this post was nonsense. good night lads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

legit one of the saddest days I had in the last couple years was when the GBS revolution happened and it went from having reasonable rules about decorum to being a free for all full of "ironic" racism, sexism, transphobia, etc.

it makes me really happy that your reporting actually has an effect other than a getting you a probe for "lmao it's just the internet get over yourself"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

fleshweasel posted:

maybe the terrible programmers thread isn't the kind of place to be interrogating trans people instead of googling things yourself

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

legit one of the saddest days I had in the last couple years was when the GBS revolution happened and it went from having reasonable rules about decorum to being a free for all full of "ironic" racism, sexism, transphobia, etc.

it makes me really happy that your reporting actually has an effect other than a getting you a probe for "lmao it's just the internet get over yourself"

Yeah. I feel like the whole internet sort of took that turn after the US election this year, so it's good to be posting on a forum that is still making an effort at decency (even if said forum is dead).

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

ahem the hn quote thread is thataway

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Ones mind contains many ideas invented and propagated by society, gender being an extremely powerful one. But yeah, not really programmer chat.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ulmont posted:

on the thought leader front, you could probably link additional posts to report itt when you run out.

please don't do this. let's not forum war

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
just because something is just an idea invented and propagated by society doesn't mean it isn't a big deal or important to lots of people

I mean, so is money

and society

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qntm posted:

just because something is just an idea invented and propagated by society doesn't mean it isn't a big deal or important to lots of people

I mean, so is money

and society

well yeah, but gender is treated kind of differently from a lot of these things. we don't have different pronouns for rich and poor people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus posted:

well yeah, but gender is treated kind of differently from a lot of these things. we don't have different pronouns for rich and poor people.

give it time

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

why on earth is postgres taking 39 seconds to return all 30k rows in this table that seems mindbogglingly slow

did you forget to specify a primary key?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

You do have terms like Lord and Lady, but yeah, that sort of structure is mostly a thing of the past.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Soricidus posted:

maybe you don't have different pronouns, but i don't believe that's universal. and certainly historically they existed; singular Ihr in german, etc.

e:
and i almost forgot that when talking to rich people in korea you use a different verb ending.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 1, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

today we are grappling with the fact that our git repo is 3GB and takes 50 seconds to print a git status welp cya

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

carry on then posted:

today we are grappling with the fact that our git repo is 3GB and takes 50 seconds to print a git status welp cya

edit: never mind, i'm taking back my stupid idea i have no idea what i'm talking about

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 1, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

could it be split into several repos or is that a terrible solution? If so, why?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah. I feel like the whole internet sort of took that turn after the US election this year, so it's good to be posting on a forum that is still making an effort at decency (even if said forum is dead).

i saw a guy bitching about how the mcelroys have sort of taken over the internet's sense of humor and i was like, my man that's a good thing. the internet has for far too long been a really bitter cynical place that hates everything and attacks everyone. having the mcelroys infect us all with their sense of joy and fun is good and cool for all of us. i call my pit bull a rowdy dirty boy all the drat time.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

carry on then posted:

Is that just sheer quantity of code? We've had issues like this in the past but it's usually because someone decided to commit their binaries or something.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

do "git status -uno" instead

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bloody posted:

actually i really like visual studio

:same:, but it really should be way better than it is anyway. :v:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

When it becomes necessary in the course of human events for one band of developers to dissolve the bands of maintainership that have connected them with each other and assume the powers of free software: I need to fork Emacs.

How does the name "Neomacs" sound? I'm thinking either that, or "Emacs2".

My fork will provide:

An LLVM-based JIT
LLDB integration
Fast, portable dumper (your Emacs will start instantly no matter how long your ~/.emacs.)
Yamamoto Mitsuharu's "Mac Port", a hugely improved macOS interface
XEmacs style selectors
Advanced data structures from SXEmacs
JavaScript extension support (RMS has previously vetoed both the LLVM JIT and the Mac Port on FSF-centric political grounds. RMS, you're not going to drive OpenStep adoption by making Emacs worse on OS X.)

I will remove:

MS-DOS support
Windows 95 support
GPL restrictions on loaded modules
Requirement to assign copyright to the FSF
I will maintain:
Windows support
macOS support
Linux support
Emacs Lisp compatibility

#nerddrama

excited. i think there's a reasonable chance this will happen and have enough community buy-in to be good. emacs is life but it's ancient architecture really holds it back.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

maybe this could be of use? https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

i haven't used it, but i might in the near future

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

excited. i think there's a reasonable chance this will happen and have enough community buy-in to be good. emacs is life but it's ancient architecture really holds it back.

I, for one, have zero hope for emacs

but I'm still gonna die using it

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
How did neovim end up anyway?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Boiled Water posted:

could it be split into several repos or is that a terrible solution? If so, why?

subrepos are awful

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

uncurable mlady posted:

subrepos are awful

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
why do all these nerds keep forking ancient technology to solve their computer problems? there is still not a good ide to write c or c++ on linux and the solution is not more console-based text editors.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

why do all these nerds keep forking ancient technology to solve their computer problems? there is still not a good ide to write c or c++ on linux and the solution is not more console-based text editors.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

why do all these nerds are nerds

duh

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

i reg'd a medium account. god help me, im actually going to Have Opinions on the Internet. just wish they didn't force you to show your name (although half of you know my name and what i look like at this point).

you can do a fake name on medium.

either that or some customer service guy thinks my name is "president hellsatan"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chalks posted:

Is that just sheer quantity of code? We've had issues like this in the past but it's usually because someone decided to commit their binaries or something.

i think it is, we're somewhere north of 2 million loc plus some binaries checked into lfs

it's not just git status that's slow, pretty much everything is

we're gonna split up into multiple repos most likely

e: we just migrated to git from a homegroan dvcs so this is just growing pains

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

every time i try out kdevelop i lol that it can't handle the simple task of being configured to build a hello world project out of the box

• Locked thread