Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the best way to look at TAZ is by thinking of it more as Griffin leading them through a video game's story. The structure of his campaign feels more like a JPRG with how it's divided into chapters, and the story beats he wants to touch on. Obviously he gives his players a ton of leeway within that structure, but there's still the overarching narrative they're being led through. I love it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Feng Shui is such a fun game.

It sure seems like it! My only slight issue is that it looks like it leans toward being kinda shallow in everything except describing combat. But it also looks like it's oriented toward one shots/short campaigns, so it's not a huge one.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I could not be more pleased that someone saved this to the YouTube zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fACWZwzwXA

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't play DnD at all (Despite wanting to but never finding a group) but it does seem like there are multiple points where any other DM in Petals to the Metal, from what i've read, would have given the gang a game over. One for killing the Hammerhead, another for Tacco being out of spells during the final boss fight Griffin is taking a story first approach over rules and trying not to kill off the PCs. Honestly is I was a DM, thats what I would do.

Also, is the Adventure Zine for sail to people who didn't kickstart it?

I mean, game over is a really relative concept when it comes to pen and paper RPGs. Like the only things that really mean the end of a campaign are the entire party dies, the DM consciously ends the campaign, or enough players stop showing up consistently enough that the campaign falls apart. And even total party death isn't enough to stop a campaign if everyone likes the setting and plot arcs that are happening.

My personal DM philosophy is that when playing with a group for the purpose of telling a story, the game mechanics exist to help tell that story, and the more interesting or dramatic the story gets, the looser the mechanics tend to get.

Or as Gary Gygax famously put it, "A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make."

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

My personal DM philosophy is that when playing with a group for the purpose of telling a story, the game mechanics exist to help tell that story, and the more interesting or dramatic the story gets, the looser the mechanics tend to get.

Yeah - I haven't played much DnD but I'm way less into the idea of a DM who rules-lawyers everything to death vs. a DM who fudges the game mechanics sometimes in order to make it more fun/exciting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't play DnD at all (Despite wanting to but never finding a group) but it does seem like there are multiple points where any other DM in Petals to the Metal, from what i've read, would have given the gang a game over. One for killing the Hammerhead, another for Tacco being out of spells during the final boss fight Griffin is taking a story first approach over rules and trying not to kill off the PCs. Honestly is I was a DM, thats what I would do.

Also, is the Adventure Zine for sail to people who didn't kickstart it?

I don't play it either, but it seems like he's always got a backup plan for the players failing so as to keep the story going. Klarg showing up in that race doesn't make a ton of sense, and they had to retroactively :techno: but with magic to explain it. I imagine if Taako hadn't fallen off, Klarg wouldn't have appeared at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I don't play it either, but it seems like he's always got a backup plan for the players failing so as to keep the story going. Klarg showing up in that race doesn't make a ton of sense, and they had to retroactively :techno: but with magic to explain it. I imagine if Taako hadn't fallen off, Klarg wouldn't have appeared at all.

Uh, didn't they rescue Klarg earlier in the arc?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not even edition wars man, I'm talking about systems that aren't D&D at all.

EDIT: Also this

Feng Shui is such a fun game.

I don't know what you want to hear? It's great that you've found The Best Ruleset :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

padijun posted:

I don't know what you want to hear? It's great that you've found The Best Ruleset :shrug:

that's not what he said at all though? just that 5e (and all d&d in their own fashions) is objectively flawed in some really lovely ways.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Grognards act like they're arguing even when they don't really disagree.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Uh, didn't they rescue Klarg earlier in the arc?

Yeah but he was still pissed. No real reason for him to show up charmed to save the day other than to keep the narrative going.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Jesus gently caress DnD sperg chat

Griffin is an awesome DM and he almost makes me want to play DnD.

Almost.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Griffin is an awesome DM and is running DnD in a way that makes it fun. Running straight rules in 5e tends to be very un-fun. I just got to chapter 2 of Petals to the Metal and had to pause when Trent got his butt cut off. Gonna be sad when I run out of this and have to wait a normal time in between them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is Griffin's team good enough to beat the Elite Four? It seems pretty alright.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

greatn posted:

Is Griffin's team good enough to beat the Elite Four? It seems pretty alright.

He'd have to play pretty smart. There will be losses.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Holy poo poo

http://nerdist.com/enter-the-adventure-zone-with-a-new-graphic-novel-series-exclusive/

Serf
May 5, 2011

That quote from Clint. He's a national treasure.

Also this sounds rad.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Holy poo poo, I want that graphic novel in my hands yesterday!

Mr E posted:

I just got to chapter 2 of Petals to the Metal and had to pause when Trent got his butt cut off. Gonna be sad when I run out of this and have to wait a normal time in between them.
It's excruciating. It feels a little weird, especially after The Eleventh Hour, to have another guided-tour-feeling story arc, and I hope that the upcoming battle doesn't take up a whole episode, but I'm really enjoying listening to the boys trying (and mostly failing) to think positively in this despair dungeon.

I know other people have said it but I wanna underscore, especially with all this tabletop chat, that anyone looking for people sticking to the rules and actually letting characters gently caress up, do unexpected things, and ruin scenes with critical-failure rolls in a podcast should listen to Friends at the Table. The Marielda season is split into a couple of parts, both with good-for-listening tabletop systems, and it stands apart from season 1 despite sharing a setting with it. Most of the audio issues that make the first couple of seasons almost unlistenable have also been resolved. The only thing I continue to not like about it is that Austin seems so against railroading or roll-fudging that some episodes just descend into a massive trainwreck of roll failures made by characters who are supposed to be cool and good at their jobs and whose actions are narrated by players who don't really sell those failures as interesting/funny. Good if you're actually playing, not so good listening.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Carey's drawing it? This is going to be so great.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I will predict with absolute certainty that there will have to be an Adventure Zone animated show sometime in the future. I think a graphic novel would be a huge step towards this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0lZ3JDOzI

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dnd is bad. Flophouse is bad.
Goof is god. There is no god but goof.

(My Dad is...62)
Also I'll never forgive Griffin for giving that Azu whatever blue roundbody a slave name. He HAD a nickname you Pokémon tyrant. His name was not RANDY. At least recognize that in death!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hot fuckin' drat

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Did the graphic novel change Klaarg's name to G'nash?

That's... odd.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Did the graphic novel change Klaarg's name to G'nash?

That's... odd.

I mean, part of the first arc was literally just the boys playing a D&D module straight. Might have to make a few changes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, did Klaarg's character even have a name in the original module? I imagine there wouldn't be much use for diplomacy there if you weren't a wizard with a charm spell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I mean, did Klaarg's character even have a name in the original module? I imagine there wouldn't be much use for diplomacy there if you weren't a wizard with a charm spell.

As a matter of fact, I just checked the module and Klarg's name comes from the actual D&D module. That explains it. Bummer, though.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
He'll always be Klarg to me, dammit

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neverwinter, Rockport, and Fandolin also probably getting renamed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Griffin was playing with the name Highwinter recently...

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Looking forward to the boys' adventures in Alwayssummer, Stoneharbor, and Pfandolyn

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That live episode was choice. Just really letting tres horny boys be petty dicks to each other, but the way they accidentally step on each others' toes is even better. They cannot work together, even when they're trying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, I wonder who the guest is--oh.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'll have you know that Brad Bradderson is a great character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, he is quite great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah Stuart Wellington is great on this episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked that they hosed around in the easy dungeon so much they had to rush through the real one.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

I liked that they hosed around in the easy dungeon so much they had to rush through the real one.

I was so positive griffin was going to call travis out on spell slots, but he was having so much fun...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm a terrible person that never listed to MBMBaM before, so I decided to start with episode 1. I was giggling from the very intro song. I'm on episode 2 now and the intro song still makes me giggle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mordiceius posted:

I'm a terrible person that never listed to MBMBaM before, so I decided to start with episode 1. I was giggling from the very intro song. I'm on episode 2 now and the intro song still makes me giggle.

I have some bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

greatn posted:

I have some bad news

Yeah, ABBA broke up :(

E: over 30 years ago :(