Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

CaptBushido posted:

I sincerely hope that he never gets caught.

If he turns himself in, they should drop the charges and hire him instead. They have two openings, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i agree, unfortunately the dude didn't know what he was stealing and where in gods name is he going to find a way to fence 80 lbs of gold flakes?

(ps im him)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

im pooping! posted:

i agree, unfortunately the dude didn't know what he was stealing and where in gods name is he going to find a way to fence 80 lbs of gold flakes?

(ps im him)

About every 3 miles on the interstate once he gets out of NYC. There's more than enough lovely 'Cash for Gold' joints that won't bat an eye.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

im pooping! posted:

(ps im him)

Discounting the much easier route of Kash-4-GOLD places that'll buy anything, you can build a pretty basic backyard smelting setup for nothing and turn it into ingots. Ingots are much more saleable, and you could sell them to most places that deal in bars and ingots.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

BlackIronHeart posted:

About every 3 miles on the interstate once he gets out of NYC. There's more than enough lovely 'Cash for Gold' joints that won't bat an eye.

OTOH, they all probably also know about the theft. And how often do people come into those places with gold that's in powder form instead of, y'know, jewelry?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Discounting the much easier route of Kash-4-GOLD places that'll buy anything, you can build a pretty basic backyard smelting setup for nothing and turn it into ingots. Ingots are much more saleable, and you could sell them to most places that deal in bars and ingots.

Don't ingots/bars need a verifying mark of some kind? Otherwise the core could be lead, or otherwise adulterated.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's gold dust, you can melt it down with household items and make fake nuggets with a tray full of wet sand. Say you just came back from a weekend in the hills and found a few nuggets in a creek in an area that had a gold rush in the past. Legitimate finds happen all the time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Regalingualius posted:

OTOH, they all probably also know about the theft. And how often do people come into those places with gold that's in powder form instead of, y'know, jewelry?

They can turn it into ingots themselves and suddenly it is untraceable. :shrug:

Edit
What the much more educated individual above me posted instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobjr posted:

The one time Reddit users got a staff member fired it was the one who was sympathetic to them too.

They did the right thing for the wrong reasons.

im pooping! posted:

A Canadian Mint employ fenced twenty‐five gold pucks at an Ottawa Gold Buyers store in a shopping mall. (He smuggled them out of the mint in the one place he knew he could hide something.)

Subjunctive posted:

Don't ingots/bars need a verifying mark of some kind? Otherwise the core could be lead, or otherwise adulterated.

You can’t use lead. It’s not nearly dense enough.

Tungsten is the only element that’s both sufficiently dense and not itself more precious than gold.

You can test for tungsten cores non‐destructively with ultrasound, but just ripping it apart and melt it again isn’t really a problem since it doesn’t have numismatic value. You’ll have exactly the same quantity of gold once you cast it again. It’s not like it evaporates or corrodes.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Dec 1, 2016

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What they dude needs to do is go about his regular day, hide that gold and try not to sell it or talk to anybody about it for like 10-15 years.

God, I want a million dollars worth of gold.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Regalingualius posted:

'Hello Cash4Gold proprietor, I recover gold from electronic parts using scary sounding chemical processes. Wanna buy this gold I took from radios and computers?'

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Subjunctive posted:

Normally yes, but you could take it to a place and ask them to test it for purity, and then have them resmelt it into verified bricks/ingots.

Kinda the route you'd have to go with this anyway, since any dust is going to be highly suspect for a while. At least with some rough ingots you can tell them you have a little claim somewhere and mined/panned it yourself. And then sell off your ingots slowly over time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“My dad was a dentist. He saved all his gold scraps.”

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

A Canadian Mint employ fenced twenty‐five gold pucks at an Ottawa Gold Buyers store in a shopping mall. (He smuggled them out of the mint in the one place he knew he could hide something.)

quote:

Investigators also found a container of vaseline in his locker and the trial was presented with the prospect that a puck could be concealed in an anal cavity and not be detected by the wand. In preparation for these proceedings, in fact, a security employee actually tested the idea, Barnes said.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Man, a loving security guard had to do that, they get paid like, $10/hour, tops.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The old Reverse Crassus. Clever.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

quote:

Justice Peter Doody
It's like it's the case he was born for.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Grem posted:

Man, a loving security guard had to do that, they get paid like, $10/hour, tops.

yeah, sure 'had' to.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Okay, so what we do is setup a series of mirrors...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's not how lipstick works! :mad:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“My dad was a dentist. He saved all his gold scraps.”

Dentists would just post it off to the service that already exists. My first bike was paid for by melted down fillings.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grem posted:

Hey Bob remember that 'other duties as required' clause in your contract?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobjr posted:

The one time Reddit users got a staff member fired it was the one who was sympathetic to them too.

some rando posted:

How do you feel about ArsTechnica's David Kravets comparing you to Ellen Pao, and that despite all the hate she got she didn't stoop this low?

David Kravets posted:

Even Ellen Pao, the former Reddit CEO, didn't change comments despite a barrage of insults levied at her last year as the site began cleaning up its community.

The admin who hosed up posted:

It's fair. Ellen wasn't the first Reddit engineer, so she probably lacked the expertise to do it, and even if she did, she was smart enough to not.

Ellen Pao posted:

Yeah, there's no comparison. I would have immediately fired anyone who did that.

Source

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Schadenfreude from the motorcycle subforum! Pretty much perfect freude for most of you.

Wait, what did the car driver do wrong there?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Aramoro posted:

Dentists would just post it off to the service that already exists. My first bike was paid for by melted down fillings.

Was your dad a Nazi war criminal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, what did the car driver do wrong there?

1) cut the biker off

2) flip the biker off when he tried to return the phone

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

1) cut the biker off

2) flip the biker off when he tried to return the phone

It didn't look like he was cutoff and what did the biker expect trying to run someone off the road.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe yours doesn't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bip Roberts posted:

It didn't look like he was cutoff and what did the biker expect trying to run someone off the road.

At 11 seconds the biker was like two car lengths away when the car pulled into the road.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

When you're being slammed by a woman who was running a literal ponzi scheme, you're a fuckup.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

plain blue jacket posted:

Was your dad a Nazi war criminal?

Hey, man not cool. His dad died in a concentration camp.

gently caress you

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

spog posted:

Hey Bob remember that 'other duties as required' clause in your contract?

I want to think that the person who did it was actually into it and finally got to fulfill his lifelong fetish.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

A Moose posted:

Kellogs pulled its support for Breitbart News. So far they have decided to respond by throwing a giant hissy fit and calling Kellogs "un-american".

Corporations aren't people, I mean it's not like the right supported Hobby Lobby's refusal to cover birth control because it was against their views.

Oh, poo poo, wait, uhh...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm actually a laser cosmetologist, the science checks out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I really hope you don't drive if you think that biker didn't get cut off.

Lavender Hill Mob! Great movie.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge forces Coinbase to hand over years’ worth of user data to IRS

On the upside, getting hosed by the IRS is probably the only sex the majority of their userbase has had in years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gold flakes would be a great loving thing to steal. Probably among the very best things, if you suddenly stole anything worth 1.6 million.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That guy has so many gold flakes he could eat them with his cereal and then be able to brag about how much more expensive his poo poo is than anyone elses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm actually a laser cosmetologist, the science checks out.

Really? A cosmetologist? That's unbelievable. That's impressive. Must be tough handling the weightlessness.