Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
I'm actually going to suggest an alternative to EU Aim Rolls, Xylth's Crit Chance Changes, still does the main thing of making low chance to hit shots not have any significant chance to crit, but doesn't render crit boosting items less useful (and thus aggravating to get.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nordick posted:

Also, I already harped on about them earlier, but I recommend looking into voice pack mods if you like your soldiers to have more variation. There are plenty of legit good and fitting packs that aren't just silly novelties, and some real good funny ones too if that's your jam.

Which ones are those? Legit question, I can find plenty of "here's the voice of X character from some other game/show/anime" so if there's a voicepack equivalent of Capnbubs I'd love to know which it is.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Deuce posted:

Performance has improved. Many bugs fixed.

Snakes can't pull anything when they're dead. :black101:

My tactics are based on Buenos Ares school of thought. :kiddo:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I prefer Additional Icons to the Numeric Health display. Keeps the pips, but adds extra info including a numeric health display, so you get the pips, AND a number (best of both worlds!), and if the enemy in question is carrying loot that he will drop, among other things.

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend spending some time browsing through the workshop, if only for cosmetic stuff you want; just be careful. There's a TON of cosmetic stuff out there, and it can clog up the system pretty fast if you go too wild.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I got Implacable on a sniper sharpshooter and it stacks with Death from Above giving two move actions after an elevated kill. Now I can bring her on timed missions :v:
A pistolero will probably get more usage out of it though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kai Tave posted:

Which ones are those? Legit question, I can find plenty of "here's the voice of X character from some other game/show/anime" so if there's a voicepack equivalent of Capnbubs I'd love to know which it is.
Well yeah, packs ripped from other games are what I use. I haven't found a single go-to pack that would have several all-purpose voices though, so I'm afraid there probably isn't a "capnbubs equivalent" one. I just have a whole bunch of individual ones. But just because the voices are from another game doesn't necessarily mean a pack is just a joke or novelty. (Movie/tv show rips are a no-go for me since the quality will be all over the place with background noises and poo poo.)

There's this one guy who's done dozens of good quality voice packs, check out his collection. Most of the ones made from various military shooter characters and CoH units are pretty generalist soldier dude sounding stuff, which is what I understand you're after. The L4D ones are less pro-rear end military with some more personal quirks (which I personally think is fine since XCOM is supposed to be a pretty patchwork organization) but still mostly pretty generalist. Each pack has a preview video on its own page so you can get a decent idea of what it'll be like. All in all his packs have a LOT of different lines and enough generic "Okay" or "Roger that" kinda filler so that the more verbose lines don't get repetitive.

I just wish there were more good female voice packs around, I do have several that I really like but there's stil a ton more choice for male characters.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 28, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nordick posted:

Well yeah, packs ripped from other games are what I use. I haven't found a single go-to pack that would have several all-purpose voices though, so I'm afraid there probably isn't a "capnbubs equivalent" one. I just have a whole bunch of individual ones. But just because the voices are from another game doesn't necessarily mean a pack is just a joke or novelty. (Movie/tv show rips are a no-go for me since the quality will be all over the place with background noises and poo poo.)

There's this one guy who's done dozens of good quality voice packs, check out his collection. Most of the ones made from various military shooter characters and CoH units are pretty generalist soldier dude sounding stuff, which is what I understand you're after. The L4D ones are less pro-rear end military with some more personal quirks (which I personally think is fine since XCOM is supposed to be a pretty patchwork organization) but still mostly pretty generalist. Each pack has a preview video on its own page so you can get a decent idea of what it'll be like. All in all his packs have a LOT of different lines and enough generic "Okay" or "Roger that" kinda filler so that the more verbose lines don't get repetitive.

I just wish there were more good female voice packs around, I do have several that I really like but there's stil a ton more choice for male characters.

Okay poo poo, I'm gonna have to install that Greyson from Bulletstorm voice, I just wish he had one for Jennifer Hale's character as well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kai Tave posted:

Okay poo poo, I'm gonna have to install that Greyson from Bulletstorm voice, I just wish he had one for Jennifer Hale's character as well.
Yeah, I'd love a Trishka voice pack too. Kill the aliens' dicks!

Seriously though, the Grayson pack is pretty good but the General Sarrano one is loving fantastic, one of my personal favourites.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Speaking of voice packs, there's actually two really light ones that add in voices from EU/EW (basically Firaxis left them in as a thing to play around with learning how to make voice packs), one brings back the Russian human ones, the other brings back the MEC voices for SPARKs in all the available languages.

edit:

Make that three, with this one bringing the Polish human voices.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 28, 2016

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Is the Digital Deluxe version going to be the last re: XCOM2? That is, are there still new expansions and/or DLC coming out for it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Katreus posted:

Is the Digital Deluxe version going to be the last re: XCOM2? That is, are there still new expansions and/or DLC coming out for it?

Nothing has been announced and all the DLC they talked about before release is out now.

They might have an expansion in 6 months like EU did but they're playing it close to the chest if so. :shrug:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It sold well enough that they made a console edition for it, which before release they say they Would Not Do, so I'd err on the side of 'there'll be a chunkier expansion eventually.' But some part of that is me wanting there to be a chunky expansion eventually. :shobon:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not sure why everyone keep expecting a big expansion pack, since they already released the industry standard 3 varied sized content DLCs and these are already bigger than the small DLCs EU got.

Then again, I was saying there wouldn't ever be an Xcom 2 a year ago so what do I know...

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Bholder posted:

Not sure why everyone keep expecting a big expansion pack, since they already released the industry standard 3 varied sized content DLCs and these are already bigger than the small DLCs EU got.

Because Firaxis's standard is to generally do at least one expansion pack for their major games in addition to whatever DLC they may produce, and even Beyond Earth got one.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 29, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Now that I'm going through the AR DLC, I've noticed an interesting... bug? The Rulers can just show up.
There's no cutscene or warp gate thing, there's just a Viper King popping into my squad and his entourage playing the "activate pod" animation while the King is stone still in the background. It certainly makes them a much larger threat :v:

It is nice to actually be able to upgrade the Hunter weapons though, I can't wait to see what gear the other two give me

E: can they spawn while you're concealed? Because that would explain why I never saw the gate

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

Now that I'm going through the AR DLC, I've noticed an interesting... bug? The Rulers can just show up.
There's no cutscene or warp gate thing, there's just a Viper King popping into my squad and his entourage playing the "activate pod" animation while the King is stone still in the background. It certainly makes them a much larger threat :v:

It is nice to actually be able to upgrade the Hunter weapons though, I can't wait to see what gear the other two give me

E: can they spawn while you're concealed? Because that would explain why I never saw the gate

They spawn in missions in their own pods once activated.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Exposure posted:

They spawn in missions in their own pods once activated.

That's super weird, but I do seem to have exceptionally bad luck with this game. Closing background programs stopped the sound loss and weird camera glitches, but it didn't fix as much as I hoped it would.
I do wish that they'd put out a patch for some of the more glaring issues, expansion pack or not. I'm so tired of the Faceless reveal showing a flickering, partially textured model. I'm starting to prioritize fighting that "every mission" dark event so that I won't have to see it anymore.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

That's super weird, but I do seem to have exceptionally bad luck with this game. Closing background programs stopped the sound loss and weird camera glitches, but it didn't fix as much as I hoped it would.
I do wish that they'd put out a patch for some of the more glaring issues, expansion pack or not. I'm so tired of the Faceless reveal showing a flickering, partially textured model. I'm starting to prioritize fighting that "every mission" dark event so that I won't have to see it anymore.

I recommend looking up low spec gaming's video on xcom 2, maybe with less processing power needed to support graphic fidelity would help.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Annointed posted:

I recommend looking up low spec gaming's video on xcom 2, maybe with less processing power needed to support graphic fidelity would help.

I play on PS4, and having Netflix or Youtube suspended in the background may or may not have caused some weird camera glitches and sound problems on story missions. I also restarted the PS4, so I don't know if that helped, but with only XCOM2 running from the beginning I stopped having those issues

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My young sons enjoy watching me play XCOM 2 to the point that I "had" to make them as characters.

Then one of them was killed by aliens.

:xcom: boys!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Colonial Air Force posted:

My young sons enjoy watching me play XCOM 2 to the point that I "had" to make them as characters.

Then one of them was killed by aliens.

:xcom: boys!

Before XCOM was in my life, we did this at school with Oregon Trail.

"Sorry bud, you drowned in the river like an idiot even though it said it was only 3 feet deep"

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Bogart posted:

It sold well enough that they made a console edition for it, which before release they say they Would Not Do, so I'd err on the side of 'there'll be a chunkier expansion eventually.' But some part of that is me wanting there to be a chunky expansion eventually. :shobon:

There has been an interview with Garth DeAngelis recently somewhere, I recall, at some point the interviewer asked him if Firaxis was done with XCOM 2 or if fans could expect more content for the game, and his answer was "I really can't comment on that", which sounds like a "yes".

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

canyoneer posted:

Before XCOM was in my life, we did this at school with Oregon Trail.

"Sorry bud, you drowned in the river like an idiot even though it said it was only 3 feet deep"

here lies andy

peperony and chease

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Noice, patch out for the Xbone:

quote:

• Waypoint functionality added.
  • World stats are now displayed at game end.
  • Fix for extremely long load times when ending tactical missions after extended play.
  • Reduced hitches when saving during tactical missions.
  • Rendering optimizations for retaliation missions, night missions, and aiming view in all missions.
  • Improved Fog of War and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion.
  • The flashing health bar from the Fire Weapon action no longer persists after being targeted with other abilities on the Shot HUD in mission.
  • Fixed an issue where a building's walls will fail to cut away when attempting to throw a grenade near or into a building through a window or door within a mission.
  • Unit status flyover icons will no longer remain on screen during the enemy action cam animation after revealing the squad during any tactical mission globally.
  • Soldier and Staff portraits no longer appear with corrupt textures when viewed in the Avenger.
  • The Shot HUD / Action Menu no longer loses functionality when making a one action move during another soldier's pathing animation in game.
  • Long soldier names in tactical are now correctly sized and do not scroll
  • The Commander is no longer invisible when picked up by Central in the tutorial of a new game.
  • Unconscious VIP's no longer appear standing up and conscious when viewing them the turn after using the "Carry Unit" ability in a "Neutralize VIP" mission.
  • Unconscious soldiers no longer t pose when entering the final room during the Alien Fortress mission.
  • Fixed In-game lighting appearing corrupt when entering a mission on a City Center map after starting a new game from the Main Menu
  • Fixed an issue where the Weapon Color would incorrectly display when the User changed the color, exited the character editor, then re-entered the character in the Character Pool.
  • Camera rotation and elevation is now possible when in the Shot HUD when selecting AOE weapons.
  • Fixed an issue where the Loot Recovery is prompted twice when a Psi Op soldier picks up loot from a Viper during gameplay.
  • Enemy units within line of sight are now no longer invisible when aiming at them throughout the title.
  • Fixed an issue where line of sight on targets will be lost after creating a map asset explosion in tactical gameplay.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

moist turtleneck posted:

Noice, patch out for the Xbone:

That's good, but the list of fixes makes me laugh.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I've gotten back into this after buying it hella long ago but I am a big baby and playing on easy. I'm just not very smart

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The only requirement is that you are shooting aliens in the face, friend

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Coolguye posted:

The only requirement is that you are shooting aliens in the face, friend

Blowing them up is a perfectly acceptable substitute, mind

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Sometimes I hit them with swords too!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As long as the xenos are dead, it doesn't matter how it happened. Batmod is Canon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

poly and open-minded posted:

I've gotten back into this after buying it hella long ago but I am a big baby and playing on easy. I'm just not very smart

There is really no shame in playing on easy, especially since the series shifted the entire difficulty scale up one level between games. EU/EW's difficulties were "Babby/Easy/Medium/Hard" despite their names. 2's difficulties are "Easy/Medium/Hard/Long War Tedium".

I mean, I feel pretty accomplished that I beat my first game, vanilla besides LWS mods, on Commander, but I have a lot more fun playing on the level below now that I have done it.

On an unrelated note I wish I had the skills to make a mod that replaced Plasma/"Beam" Weapon models with LWS's Laser tier. I love the models far more than the super fancy/goofy looking vanilla plasma ones...but I really don't feel the need for an expensive tier 2.5 with lasers. And I just don't have the time to learn how to do that poo poo myself these days since I'm no longer a lazy college student.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alkydere posted:

There is really no shame in playing on easy, especially since the series shifted the entire difficulty scale up one level between games. EU/EW's difficulties were "Babby/Easy/Medium/Hard" despite their names. 2's difficulties are "Easy/Medium/Hard/Long War Tedium".

I'd say EU was "Baby/Easy/Hard/Nightmare", there was just no Medium difficulty there and some close friends found Normal really easy and couldn't make the jump to Classic. They were casual gamers and for them the gap was very clear.

In my opinion there should be a larger difficulty scale for XCOM, like the 1994 original. This is a game in which you tweak some tiny elements and the difficulty may vary wildly. For example, I was very, very disappointed when I was told that true dice rolls were only available on Legend. That was such a huge kick in the dick for me, made my Classic Ironman win seem somehow "cheated". I wanted to play with true dice rolls but I can't play on Legend, it's too difficult for me. :-\

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alkydere posted:

On an unrelated note I wish I had the skills to make a mod that replaced Plasma/"Beam" Weapon models with LWS's Laser tier. I love the models far more than the super fancy/goofy looking vanilla plasma ones...but I really don't feel the need for an expensive tier 2.5 with lasers. And I just don't have the time to learn how to do that poo poo myself these days since I'm no longer a lazy college student.

In my current game I am going to try to beat the game using Lasers just because they're so much cooler and look so much better than XCOM 2's baby blue plasma.

Also, to be fair, XCOM's laser weaponry is indeed equal or better in terms of damage output then the aliens' green plasma, so it feels right too.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Alkydere posted:

here's a mod that can do that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707548632

Andre Banzai posted:

In my opinion there should be a larger difficulty scale for XCOM, like the 1994 original. This is a game in which you tweak some tiny elements and the difficulty may vary wildly. For example, I was very, very disappointed when I was told that true dice rolls were only available on Legend. That was such a huge kick in the dick for me, made my Classic Ironman win seem somehow "cheated". I wanted to play with true dice rolls but I can't play on Legend, it's too difficult for me. :-\

and a mod for you too

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617993180&searchtext=remove+aim+assists

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Just found out a gatekeeper can destroy a hack point with its big dumb ball body :xcom:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Andre Banzai posted:

I'd say EU was "Baby/Easy/Hard/Nightmare", there was just no Medium difficulty there and some close friends found Normal really easy and couldn't make the jump to Classic. They were casual gamers and for them the gap was very clear.

Funnily enough, I believe a couple days after release someone asked Solomon on twitter why XCOM 2 didn't just have more than 4 difficulty levels, and his reaction was along the lines of "....gently caress why don't we have more than four difficulty levels?"

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Oh my God this is absolutely the best mod ever, THANK YOU!!!!

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

So I've not played a campaign since the DLC (Sparks and Rulers) came out. Did they change the Sectoid AI to be more aggressive and take shots more instead of practically always using their turn to make a zombie? Just curious because I had a couple missions go pear-shape due to miscalculating their behavior. Thanks!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They very much did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

YouSpoonyBard posted:

So I've not played a campaign since the DLC (Sparks and Rulers) came out. Did they change the Sectoid AI to be more aggressive and take shots more instead of practically always using their turn to make a zombie? Just curious because I had a couple missions go pear-shape due to miscalculating their behavior. Thanks!

Yeah if they can easily flank a guy or have a high % shot on someone, they will do that instead of zombie making, but they still zombie make a lot.