Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's effective ludonarrative design to make you hate the character of dino gambino even more :eng101:

I hated him as soon as he started talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dino's eyes look weird

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Huh, apparently FFXV sold 5 million copies since it was released on Tuesday. I'm taking it this is a pretty good thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I hated him as soon as he started talking.

As a resident of New Jersey, Dino is my spirit animal. We are a wretched, vile people.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why is Noctus the only person in the game with Anime eyes?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Huh, apparently FFXV sold 5 million copies since it was released on Tuesday. I'm taking it this is a pretty good thing.

It's worldwide, and sold to stores (not necessarily sold through to customers). Still, it's on track to do quite well and will probably represent a solid turn-around for the series. Makes it much more likely we'll eventually see a Final Fantasy XVI (or XVII, if XVI turns out to be another MMO).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

It's probably not enough still to account for all the wasted dev time but it's a good sign that future mainline FF games are possible.

Begin the FF16 hype train.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
bought the guide because I saw it was made by Piggyback, who did an amazing job with the MGS5 guide. This one is excellent as well. Such a better explanation of combat than the tutorials, and just an amazingly huge amount of information overall

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

It'll be the worst in the series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Why is Noctus the only person in the game with Anime eyes?

Royal bloodline.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

It's probably not enough still to account for all the wasted dev time but it's a good sign that future mainline FF games are possible.

I was reading an analysis that argued that SE probably wrote off a lot of cost when they "canceled" Versus, so I'm not sure how the eventual numbers for XV get accounted for in the reckoning.

Anyway, all to say that the millstone that was Versus XIII might not get held against XV and its success.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lucid Dream posted:

I rented a chocobo so I could get across this stupid loving bridge in Galdin Quay slightly faster (from the rental spot right next to the bridge) and they can't go on the bridge :v:

I hate that loving bridge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm okay with most of the game's long hikes but that's a bridge too far.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
don't phobiashame, chocobos just hate being suspended above water ok??

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

I'm okay with most of the game's long hikes but that's a bridge too far.

Boo hiss

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
You can buy an accessory that keeps you hair up and spiffy when it rains.

GOTY 2016.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I forgot the story existed and now I'm level 44 in Chapter 3. It's kind of crazy how much poo poo opens up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If there's one thing consistent about square enix games it's totally unrealistic sales expectations, so it wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to still be disappointed with how this game did

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can't drive manually during the day til Chapter 3.

That's...not even remotely true. I was able to drive manually after Cid fixed it at the start of the game.

Does anyone know what the handkerchief and towel accessories do? Like actually do, not what the description says.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

That's...not even remotely true. I was able to drive manually after Cid fixed it at the start of the game.

Yeah, once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New Game+, "Level cap creation" (for low level runs I guess?), and a boss battle with Yosuke Matsuda due to be added as DLC by the end of the year
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-yosuke-matsuda-boss-battle-planned-downloadable-content

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I was reading an analysis that argued that SE probably wrote off a lot of cost when they "canceled" Versus, so I'm not sure how the eventual numbers for XV get accounted for in the reckoning.

Anyway, all to say that the millstone that was Versus XIII might not get held against XV and its success.

Square Enix is doing really well these days on account of their successful mobile and merchandise divisions. They're probably not too fussed about Final Fantasy XV recouping all of its development costs. Selling enough copies to be a successful AAA video game in 2016 will probably be enough to satisfy the higher-ups.

That said, the 5 million number consists of copies sold to retailers + digital sales, so not all of those copies have been sold through to costumers yet. Square Enix has been known to overship games and having to buy copies back from retailers as a result. This happened with Final Fantasy XIII-2 if I remember correctly.

Even so, it sounds like FFXV is doing well. Good job Square! :toot:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

New Game+, "Level cap creation" (for low level runs I guess?), and a boss battle with Yosuke Matsuda due to be added as DLC by the end of the year
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-yosuke-matsuda-boss-battle-planned-downloadable-content

Oh hey level cap DLC so low level runners can use the rest mechanic without being forcibly leveled. That's neat for a very specific and strange definition of neat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Is the game as fun as it looks?

2. Does it have real dungeons, like I think some pre-release stuff suggested it would?

Not going to buy it until January probably, since I'll be traveling for half of December and I'm definitely not going to have the free time to finish it before I leave, but I do love me some FF.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hope we get some XIII-2 style DLC superbosses, I would love to have that available in a game I actually like.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I hope NG+ is done Dark Souls/Castlevania style where it gets harder each time. Not like Chrono Trigger where you just one shot every boss.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Harrow posted:

1. Is the game as fun as it looks?

2. Does it have real dungeons, like I think some pre-release stuff suggested it would?

Not going to buy it until January probably, since I'll be traveling for half of December and I'm definitely not going to have the free time to finish it before I leave, but I do love me some FF.

IMO, yes, though obviously that's a very subjective question and answer.

I'm not very far in at all but they certainly exist, I've been through one. Others could tell you how frequently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oxxidation posted:

As a resident of New Jersey, Dino is my spirit animal. We are a wretched, vile people.

As someone who grew up in the waning years of a quasi-normal Florida, I wholeheartedly agree with your self-assessment.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dino is my second favorite character, after Loqi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is his name not Laqi as in a cheap joke about how poo poo he is?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Ok y'all, loving game, however:

Do these tedious side quest chains end in spectacular weapon rewards or end-game quests more epic than "take some pictures/get some wax for your car"? I'll do them if it's worth it in the end but sort of hard to care about being a tourist when MY DAD IS DEAD and I have to get my city back like batman.

Where/when do I get more outfits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

black.lion posted:

Ok y'all, loving game, however:

Do these tedious side quest chains end in spectacular weapon rewards or end-game quests more epic than "take some pictures/get some wax for your car"? I'll do them if it's worth it in the end but sort of hard to care about being a tourist when MY DAD IS DEAD and I have to get my city back like batman.

Where/when do I get more outfits?

Some do and some don't! Have fun guessing which ones.

Outfits are apparently basically non-existent outside of DLC stuff.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I liked the quest to get the wax and other lowkey stuff, it took me to a cool place I hadn't been before and the bros had some stuff to talk about.

I also basically never fast travel. I'm here to trip on the road dammit and I'm gonna do it.

Catching all these frogs is also easy if you have your ears open and listen to where they are.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I know I've been making GBS threads on a lot of things about this game but I genuinely like the photography aspect and the end of day recaps. Also Noctis summoning his fishing rod out of thin air like the rest of his weapons is the best thing about him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Augus posted:

I love how loving weird this game can be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Some do and some don't! Have fun guessing which ones.

Outfits are apparently basically non-existent outside of DLC stuff.

Without the DLC everyone gets 1 extra, then there's a post-game one.

The DLC outfit apparently gives infinite sprint :argh:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So far, three dungeons in (and four discovered, but I don't go to a dungeon unless I get a quest for it) and the dungeons are still astonishingly great. Nothing has been better than the Mine yet but I wasn't expecting very much out of this game's dungeons and so far they've all felt very distinct from each other, despite the three I explored all being some flavor of cavern.

EDIT: Cindy's missions always send me to dungeons or cool spots, Cindy's missions are OK.

Eff you Dino.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Without the DLC everyone gets 1 extra, then there's a post-game one.

You can get pseudo-infinite sprint if you tap L3 right before you run out of stamina. You'll flash green and refill the bar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Pro-tip:

Turn on Stamina meter. When the meter hits the S in the "ST" on that meter tap the run button again. It will instantly refill all your stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phoix posted:

You can get pseudo-infinite sprint if you tap L3 right before you run out of stamina. You'll flash green and refill the bar.

Yeah but I could have been even lazier.

• Locked thread