Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is anybody going to do the obligatory you only need five minutes of charge for a few hours of mouse life so it was never a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

Is anybody going to do the obligatory you only need five minutes of charge for a few hours of mouse life so it was never a big deal

no because it's a loving stupid argument

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's such a stupid design because you're going to need to have a lightning cable lying around in case it runs out anyway. Now it's just going to be dangling from the back of your mac

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
If I'm not looking to do any graphic intensive work with a MBP but plan to use it for regular everyday stuff + work (predominately spreadsheets) and plan to hook it up to a 27" 4k monitor when working, should i just opt for the 13" non-touch bar version?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Filthee Fingas posted:

If I'm not looking to do any graphic intensive work with a MBP but plan to use it for regular everyday stuff + work (predominately spreadsheets) and plan to hook it up to a 27" 4k monitor when working, should i just opt for the 13" non-touch bar version?

You should get a 13" 2015 refurb and save yourself the dough.

Spreadsheets and everyday stuff won't be taxing on even the base model, and refurbs have a full warranty. You just don't get the fancy box.

Or hell, get a used one on eBay that still has AppleCare.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

no because it's a loving stupid argument

Hey I personally think all wireless mice are trash

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

Hey I personally think all wireless mice are trash

I don't mind wireless mice that have a dock and a battery indicator. You're leaving your desk, you see the battery is low, you pop it in the dock. Or just train yourself to always leave it in the dock. I especially like wireless mice that can be used wired. Even for gaming, wireless mice have gotten pretty good. I mean, the tech works.

But yeah, I only use wired mice. Screw charging.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Logitech m510 mouse. Costs $20 on sale and the battery lasts for like 8 months. It's just 2 AA batteries so it's easy to swap or you can use rechargeables.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're not using the Magic Trackpad then I don't know what to say. I got a mouse and trackpad for my MacBook and I don't think I've used the mouse in about six months

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I seem to recall that for a while Logitech had this Bluetooth mouse that sat in its own dedicated charging cradle (when you weren't using it) with a little blue LED and the Bluetooth logo in front that told you it was charging; it was all the rage for a while but then I saw less and less of it; some people said the batteries sucked, others said the charge ran out too fast, others said it was jumpy and slower than a wired mouse (think there was only Bluetooth 1.1/2.0 at the time..)

Filthee Fingas posted:

Should be fine, hope you don't mind dongles, but you may have to make sure your Office 2011 is up to date (v.14.7.0 newest at the moment) or pony up for Microsoft Office 2016. Office 2011 OOTB might be a version without Retina assets, which will make it appear like editing spreadsheets on an Atari 2600.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 1, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Binary Badger posted:

I seem to recall that for a while Logitech had this Bluetooth mouse that sat in its own dedicated charging cradle (when you weren't using it) with a little blue LED and the Bluetooth logo in front that told you it was charging; it was all the rage for a while but then I saw less and less of it; some people said the batteries sucked, others said the charge ran out too fast, others said it was jumpy and slower than a wired mouse (think there was only Bluetooth 1.1/2.0 at the time..)

Should be fine, hope you don't mind dongles, but you may have to make sure your Office 2011 is up to date (v.14.7.0 newest at the moment) or pony up for Microsoft Office 2016. Office 2011 OOTB might be a version without retina assets, which might appear like trying to do spreadsheets on an Atari 2600.

Actually it's all done through remote desktop at our work (through CITRIX Server) so I won't need any MS Office on my PC.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I don't know about Bluetooth, I had the one ... still have it somewhere actually ... that used Logitech's universal receiver thing over USB. It worked pretty well for day to day tasks, but I use my home desktop primarily for gaming, so I moved to an MX510. It was a good mouse, just not as great as their wired ones. But yeah it had a cradle and was super convenient and the battery lasted forever, I never really had to worry about charging it other than putting it in the dock. And it being in the dock meant that my display wouldn't be woken up by cats walking on my desk and moving the mouse, which was important when I lived in a bachelor apartment and had my desktop directly across from my bed.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Pivo posted:

You should get a 13" 2015 refurb and save yourself the dough.

Spreadsheets and everyday stuff won't be taxing on even the base model, and refurbs have a full warranty. You just don't get the fancy box.

Or hell, get a used one on eBay that still has AppleCare.

Cool - i'll take a look.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just buy one of the 2015 models on BH Photo. They don't charge tax and shipping is free if you're not in New York.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Most of Logitech's wireless mice allow for plug-in recharging with a USB cable that turn it into a wired mouse when charging. I find it a lot more convenient for the MX Master and it's the one feature that is better than the MX Revolution (which used a cradle).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kefkafloyd posted:

Most of Logitech's wireless mice allow for plug-in recharging with a USB cable that turn it into a wired mouse when charging. I find it a lot more convenient for the MX Master and it's the one feature that is better than the MX Revolution (which used a cradle).

MX Master, in addition to running for about a week on 30 minutes of charging and restarting immediately if you plug it in when dead, gets additional multiplatform cred for not only supporting BT+USB but also having a button to switch between three different devices. I was skeptical of paying $80 for a mouse but it has delivered.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Craptacular! posted:

EDIT: Also throw in the old keyboard with the clear undercase that showed how dirty your area has been over the months.

puck mouse is terrible, but those imac g3s sold like hot cakes so pretty sure those were good ideas. unless you're talking about the color.

not really defending jobs either, just pointing out he was long gone by the time the pencil and the, "unable to charge and use a mouse" mouse came out. also people loved the cubed apple mac despite its flaws. no one loves the pencil and the ridiculousness of recharging it, even if its only 5 minutes. same with the mouse.

also how ridiculous is it that the other non-tip side of the pencil does not activate the erase functionality of an app? the new surface with the surface pen does that. its so loving simple and intuitive. ives got out-done by loving microsoft.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I don't actually mind the Apple Pencil with my Pro; I only have to plug it into the iPad occasionally for pairing, it charges quickly on a dedicated line (I picked up one of those Anker 24W dual USB wall adapters so I can charge the pencil and iPad together at night), and the iPad Pro with pencil has made it easy to redline drawings in the field during construction versus awkwardly handling construction drawings.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

also how ridiculous is it that the other non-tip side of the pencil does not activate the erase functionality of an app? the new surface with the surface pen does that. its so loving simple and intuitive. ives got out-done by loving microsoft.

Ives lost his mojo in the last two years and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left apple soon

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Apple even went as far as to call it the "Pencil" implying the other side was an eraser and still didn't bother to make the opposite end call up an erase function. Unless the eraser side was intentionally held back so people would have a reason to buy the Pencil 2. :tinfoil:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

puck mouse is terrible, but those imac g3s sold like hot cakes so pretty sure those were good ideas. unless you're talking about the color.

not really defending jobs either, just pointing out he was long gone by the time the pencil and the, "unable to charge and use a mouse" mouse came out. also people loved the cubed apple mac despite its flaws. no one loves the pencil and the ridiculousness of recharging it, even if its only 5 minutes. same with the mouse.

Love the Pencil. Hands down the best stylus I've ever used. Paired with the iPad Pro it's become indispensable to me. That being said, I wish it had an erase function but I've been trained for years with dumb styluses to use select the eraser icon, so it's not like I really *miss* it. The charging is asinine. I still have no idea why they didn't use the smart connector (which can supply power) and a magnet in the pencil to attach it.

They MS stylus is good, but unfortunately it's coupled with a device running Windows which I have no interest in.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Like the Apple blue tooth ear piece, we will never see a second pencil.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

flosofl posted:

Love the Pencil. Hands down the best stylus I've ever used. Paired with the iPad Pro it's become indispensable to me. That being said, I wish it had an erase function but I've been trained for years with dumb styluses to use select the eraser icon, so it's not like I really *miss* it. The charging is asinine. I still have no idea why they didn't use the smart connector (which can supply power) and a magnet in the pencil to attach it.

They MS stylus is good, but unfortunately it's coupled with a device running Windows which I have no interest in.

It's sad how half-assed the rollout of the pencil has been. A new iPad line refresh aaaaaaaand it still only works with the 13" Pro :/ New iPhones? No support for the pencil.

And I'm sorry, but it's loving inelegant not to have an eraser function. But I'm with you: the feel of it is really, really good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Like the Apple blue tooth ear piece, we will never see a second pencil.

It's gonna come bundled with the new mac book airs and mac pros :allears:

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

kefkafloyd posted:

Both of these mouses are absolutely great. Had the revolution for four or five years before it broke, and now I'm using the Master, although I hardly use the mouse anymore since I've switched to a Mac with it's great trackpad. Almost exclusively using a trackpad after getting a Mac laptop is something you read a lot but don't really believe until you get to use one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not too upset about the lack of an eraser. The Pencil, best digital stylus notwithstanding, is huge and slick. The idea of trying to quickly flip it around to erase and watching it fly out of my hands is not appealing. The performance is incredible; the ergonomics are not.

The charging system is crap though. As is the lack of anywhere on the iPad to actually store your Pencil (thank you Logitech).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I love those cordless mice where to charge them you plug in a cable precisely where the cord on a normal corded mouse goes, and not only does it charge, but it also switches the mouse into corded mode with lower latency and a higher polling rate. Very appley, except that they are for PCs and they are made by Razer and they look like stupid gamer crap

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Linguica posted:

I love those cordless mice where to charge them you plug in a cable precisely where the cord on a normal corded mouse goes, and not only does it charge, but it also switches the mouse into corded mode with lower latency and a higher polling rate. Very appley, except that they are for PCs and they are made by Razer and they look like stupid gamer crap

Yeah my brother and friend both have those, apparently they are great mice but they look like black metal sex toys so gently caress that

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If it wasn't called the pencil, would you be bemoaning the lack of eraser at the end?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

If it wasn't called the pencil, would you be bemoaning the lack of eraser at the end?

Yes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wacom styli don't need to charge and do the eraser flip thing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Like, clearly you can get used to it, but every artist I've handed it to has immediately flipped it over when they wanted to erase something. It's the kind of thing that, were I the designer, I would have taken a step back and thought: maybe it would be really natural to have an eraser side.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doesn't it make more sense to make erase a software button? It's easier to tap an erase icon than physically flipping the pencil over.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Could just be that a stylus with an eraser end is patented and Apple either doesn't own or doesn't license that patent. E.g. U.S. Pat. No. 9,213,424, which Amazon owns, or at least filed. Doesn't answer the question of why Apple didn't think of it first, but does explain why they might not be doing it now.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 1, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Linguica posted:

The MX Master (and other logitech plug in mice) do exactly this and don't look like teen boy items.

I Am Crake posted:

Both of these mouses are absolutely great. Had the revolution for four or five years before it broke, and now I'm using the Master, although I hardly use the mouse anymore since I've switched to a Mac with it's great trackpad. Almost exclusively using a trackpad after getting a Mac laptop is something you read a lot but don't really believe until you get to use one.

This is true for laptops but half the trick of the trackpad is that on the laptops it's right at the same plane of the keyboard, so you can use the keyboard and cursor without moving your fingers much out of position. The Magic Trackpad on the desktop was taller and with a bigger keyboard I found it less useful because it didn't work in front of the keyboard and I still had to have my hand or the trackpad off to the side. If I still have to move my hand away from the keyboard, I prefer a mouse.

I obviously love the trackpad on my laptop, especially with bettertouchtool.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Linguica posted:

What's sad is that that's exactly what the Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 do. You can use both plugged in on a machine with Bluetooth disabled, switches over immediately. I don't know why they didn't put a little notch on the tracking surface of the mouse to allow for a Lightning port, but I guess since the keyboard and trackpad don't technically move you don't feel The Horror of mousing with a wire touching the desk.

Filthee Fingas posted:

Going to go against the grain and tell you that - unless there is some piece of hardware that you are currently plugging into a laptop often and does not have a convenient USB-C solution - you should buy the 2016 and not go refurb. Going USBC/TB3 is not the right play for everyone but if you can make it work for you it will only extend how long the laptop can work before being obsolete.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm happy with both my Logitech Performance MX (charges with a cable in front like a wired mouse) and Marathon M705 (not rechargeable but has a 3 year battery life). I haven't had any issues with the Logitech software, and it is nice being able to customize the extra buttons to do things like show desktop, mission control and app windows. I also like being able to instantly toggle the scroll wheel between free spinning and ratcheting.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What's sad is that that's exactly what the Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 do. You can use both plugged in on a machine with Bluetooth disabled, switches over immediately. I don't know why they didn't put a little notch on the tracking surface of the mouse to allow for a Lightning port, but I guess since the keyboard and trackpad don't technically move you don't feel The Horror of mousing with a wire touching the desk.

Going to go against the grain and tell you that - unless there is some piece of hardware that you are currently plugging into a laptop often and does not have a convenient USB-C solution - you should buy the 2016 and not go refurb. Going USBC/TB3 is not the right play for everyone but if you can make it work for you it will only extend how long the laptop can work before being obsolete.

Yeah knowing me and my level of wanting a new shiny toy, I'm leaning towards a 2016 model. I'll probably rationalise my decision by getting a base model.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't it make more sense to make erase a software button? It's easier to tap an erase icon than physically flipping the pencil over.

No, what would have had more sense would be to have both so you could flip it over when you'd want to quick-erase, and otherwise have a software lockout so it wouldn't do that if desired. It could be a one-button "on/off" such as airplane mode, wifi, etc.

The thing with allowing the end to be functional is that it then allows for other cool tricks to be programmed in. Say you want to quickly un-do what you just did. Well, just double-tap the end against the screen and it happens! Or such. It'd open up a lot of possibilities and like others have said it's just laziness on Apple's part that they didn't get more nifty/creative with what they could use the Pencil for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
You guys know that apple has shipped mice that nerds hated since…the first computer with a mouse?

In more recent history anyone who cares has always bought a 3rd party mouse with more butans than what Apple has ever provided.