Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It took me a while to realize the GGG talk wasn't meant to be GaoGaiGar.

If you wanna play "guess what they're going to adapt from the source material", it's interesting to note that V is Cero C when the SRW series has been B so far.

I'm going to assume a lot of "shock" scenes are going to lose their power when portrayed as "static head portraits and text" though so I hope whoever is in charge of implementing Muv Luv Alternative in the future gets very creative.

Which makes me kinda ponder about the fact that SRW doesn't seem to use the "CG Images at important spots" like most Visual Novels do, or at least not very often - I think the last one I remember was PoD Akito's face lighting up like Rudolf in W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Incidentally on Japanese Amazon Prime they just added a shitload of new (old) anime series, including lots of robot anime. GaoGaiGar, Dragonar, Daitarn 3, Escaflowne and a bunch of other super robot shows I don't recognize.

edit: so I gather from all of this that Cross Ange is skeevy as hell? Well...it wouldn't be the first time such an anime entered SRW with all that stuff removed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Incidentally on Japanese Amazon Prime they just added a shitload of new (old) anime series, including lots of robot anime. GaoGaiGar, Dragonar, Daitarn 3, Escaflowne and a bunch of other super robot shows I don't recognize.

edit: so I gather from all of this that Cross Ange is skeevy as hell? Well...it wouldn't be the first time such an anime entered SRW with all that stuff removed.

You know how Gundam SEED has several scenes that are ludicrously violent for both the art style and age group it was marketed to, well Cross Ange has a fair amount of that too, along with a lot of weird sexual stuff

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The first episode of Cross Ange ended with the main character being stripped naked against her will so they could forcefully implant whatever technomagic doohickery it is that allows her to be a robot pilot.

It was framed to very closely resemble an actual rape.

So yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up opinion: I actually kind of liked that cross ange was explicit about the fact that everyone on the base was loving in the background. considering their situation (all stuck on a small base with their only freedom being able to move around it at will) it made sense and was good characterization. Like I know it was just an excuse to draw ladies making out, but as far as excuses to do that go it was at least a kind of interesting one.

the episode where a dude falls into ange's boobs seven times and then they fall in love was terrible tho.

edit: looking forward to seeing them implement this into SRW as hilda sleeping with misato

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2016

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Discussions about anally inserting implants aside, SRW V is apparently going to revamp its skill system into some kind of bastard hybrid of Skill Parts and PP tied to a honestly kinda nonsensical tech tree.

If I'm not wrong, instead of individual PP, all pilots contribute to a "Tac Points" pool instead. You then buy skills in that tech tree thing which goes from left to right (with the most commonly considered abusive ones put on the right side for the most part) and slot them into your pilots.

I always wanted them to redo the skill system but this one feels like they just reinvented the wheel to get "Skill Parts in a Shop"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
At least Luna is confirmed playable, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I at least like that you don't have to get people PP to get them skills. It was always a pain to get someone like the old dude from Trider G7 any sort of kills if you wanted him to be able to resupply after moving, and god forbid you wanted to give him support attack, cooperative attack, and SP regen.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So you earn Tac Points which then buy things in a big tech tree that you then equip to people? W style equip where its a thing that then becomes part of them or J style slots that you can move stuff around as you get better stuff? If its like W (or A I guess too) and they keep them forever for all runs holy mply. Hopefully it'll be a thing where you can still load one person up if you really want, but it also allows you to spread stuff around to the support crews.

Davzz posted:

It took me a while to realize the GGG talk wasn't meant to be GaoGaiGar.

If you wanna play "guess what they're going to adapt from the source material", it's interesting to note that V is Cero C when the SRW series has been B so far.

I'm going to assume a lot of "shock" scenes are going to lose their power when portrayed as "static head portraits and text" though so I hope whoever is in charge of implementing Muv Luv Alternative in the future gets very creative.

Which makes me kinda ponder about the fact that SRW doesn't seem to use the "CG Images at important spots" like most Visual Novels do, or at least not very often - I think the last one I remember was PoD Akito's face lighting up like Rudolf in W.

There were a couple in both Z3s, one was a big Gaioh on his throne silhouette on a single stage split and neither of the other two routes got anything..

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

So you earn Tac Points which then buy things in a big tech tree that you then equip to people? W style equip where its a thing that then becomes part of them or J style slots that you can move stuff around as you get better stuff?
Given that each character apparently has 30 slots for skills, I suspect it's the former.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited for V. I'll definitely be excited to see if it's good and get it if so.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

So you earn Tac Points which then buy things in a big tech tree that you then equip to people? W style equip where its a thing that then becomes part of them or J style slots that you can move stuff around as you get better stuff? If its like W (or A I guess too) and they keep them forever for all runs holy mply. Hopefully it'll be a thing where you can still load one person up if you really want, but it also allows you to spread stuff around to the support crews.

There were a couple in both Z3s, one was a big Gaioh on his throne silhouette on a single stage split and neither of the other two routes got anything..

You spend TacP to buy ("manufacture") skill instances ("programs") which you can then attach to pilots. Stat skills are all unlocked for production at all times. Skill... skills (traditional skills) need to be unlocked ("developed") by spending TacP on the tree, and once one is unlocked you can manufacture more of them. Special skills (revealed: 100% Counter, Dash) get unlocked by achievements like the Z-Trader, and again, once you've unlocked one you can buy programs for TacP but they seem extremely expensive on top of being harder to get.

It seems like the 30 slots might have to cover each instance of a skill level, also? It's not clear so I'm assuming the worst.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 1, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Caphi posted:

It seems like the 30 slots might have to cover each instance of a skill level, also? It's not clear so I'm assuming the worst.

There's a visible (and presumably purchased since its text is in white) level 6 Prevail/Potential/whatever you'd like to translate it as on that shot, so apparently not. I see the Support Attack/Defense +1s, too, though. At least I think that's what they are, they're kind of small for me to read. So maybe some skills need it, and some don't?

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 1, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Prism posted:

There's a visible (and presumably purchased since its text is in white) level 6 Prevail/Potential/whatever you'd like to translate it as on that shot, so apparently not.

That's definitely his natural Prevail levels, the two red skills are unlearnable/locked skills.

e: traditionally purchased leveled skills have a + on their level or add a + to the existing skill and there is no reason not to think this is the case now since Okita has Off. Support +1 and Def. Support +1, the problem is there is no given example of a leveled skill program stacked with either itself (e.g. Off. Support +1, Off. Support +1 vs. Off. Support +2) or a natural skill (Prevail L6, Prevail +1 vs. Prevail L6+1).

e2: I actually like this idea, since it adds weight to a character having naturally high levels of Prevail/Support/Counter, since it's essentially free room for other things like those nine instances of SP Up you're going to buy everyone eventually. Like you can buy everyone Prevail L+9 if you want but the ones who can do it on their own still have some advantage.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 1, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, and buried lede - Ace Bonus is now a skill i.e. you have to have 50 kills and research/buy/attach the skill. And of all things it's at the end of the support tree.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Oh, and buried lede - Ace Bonus is now a skill i.e. you have to have 50 kills and research/buy/attach the skill. And of all things it's at the end of the support tree.

That's dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

thats kinda lame because ace bonuses are one of the big distinguishing factors in these games

KoB
May 1, 2009
With OG we'd have an english trailer within a week or two and still nothing for V. They confirmed it for English release after the announcement so its weird. It comes out in 3 months.

Xeroma
Nov 16, 2007
Robot Fan
I don't normally post on these forums but: no, that's not how the Ace Proud ability works.

The description here reads: "The pilot with this ability becomes an Ace at 50 enemies shot down(Normally requires 60). Becoming an ace pilot grants a special ace bonus that will aid in battle." It's a skill that makes getting ace status easier, and since it's at the end of the support end of the skill tree I think it's mostly just there to make getting ace bonuses for support type characters. :shobon:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sometimes I'm just blind. Sorry, everybody!

I actually like all the branching going on with e.g. Off. Support and Def. Support, or EN Save and Ammo Save, in theory, but it seems pointless since the unlock is shared across your whole team so you need both of them anyway.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It doesn't seem very useful. If you can give Sayaka 50 kills, you can probably do 60. Now, an ace bonus at 30 or or 35 kills would be a lot more useful.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Since I ordered a physical copy of GGG and picked slow shipping, could someone tell me if Sayla is voiced or is she still a mute?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Since I ordered a physical copy of GGG and picked slow shipping, could someone tell me if Sayla is voiced or is she still a mute?
Sorry, haven't gotten Sayla as a pilot yet.

I was on board up until seeing that you need to manufacture skill parts as if they were physical things. I wish it was just, you unlock a skill on the skill tree and you're then free to equip it to whatever pilots need it.

edit: whoa, a guaranteed counter skill? That seems pretty good.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 2, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I hope its W and L style where you can just keep mashing stuff on and Prevail takes 1 slot whether its level 1 or 9 rather than taking up 9 slots if you want level 9 from 0.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
This is a bit out of nowhere, but does anyone have a link to the one review of Gundam AGE done on these forums? I can't remember who did it, but I remember the hair triceratops and all the times that someone shot something to absolutely no effect being 'prince of space' moments. I kinda want to reread that, to get an idea of AGE's stupidity without having to directly expose myself to it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

This is a bit out of nowhere, but does anyone have a link to the one review of Gundam AGE done on these forums? I can't remember who did it, but I remember the hair triceratops and all the times that someone shot something to absolutely no effect being 'prince of space' moments. I kinda want to reread that, to get an idea of AGE's stupidity without having to directly expose myself to it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508416&pagenumber=237&perpage=40#post433103013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am going to stream some early SRW Z1 shortly. Come by if you feel like hanging out.

Edit: Stream over, but the legend of Kodama "Nekku" Moon???? will live on

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 2, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hokay, Gundam Breaker 3 just grabbed me a fair bit again after I changed up my build again. I had been using funnels and other jacked up secondary weaponry to strip enemies, then a special to de-limb them, and then doing a coup-de-gras to finish them off, but that got boring, and I unlocked the MG parts, so I stopped using that. Then I started using martial arts and Bazookas with my far from optimized mech, but that wasn't great, and wasn't really fun to play.

Now I'm running around with a machine gun and the Turn A's hammer and it takes roughly two seconds of fire to fill my special gauges, so something is always off cooldown, and its amazing to just ruin enemies constantly. It'll take a while for me to get the MG parts I want, but I think this will be fun. Aside from getting Destiny arms again I just want guns everywhere they'll fit, so I can call it a ball of GUNdam.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got a 3DS again the other day (sold my old one a year ago or so) to prepare for a trip and thought about getting BX but drat that sucker is still expensive.

Edit: does it use 3D in any more interesting ways than UX did?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 4, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There's a spinoff of Gundam: The Origin about Doan's Island. I can't wait for SRW V2 to feature 40% water stages so Getter 2 and Gundam Marine Type can shine.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Got Z3 part 1 as a late birthday present and am enjoying it so far (only prior experience with the series was MX portable, alpha 1-2 and the OG series. Couple of observations:

-Boss Borot seems suprisingly awesome in this game. Lots of spirits, decent attack and a lot more durable than i've come to expect.
-On a similar note, the Eva's are still ridiculous early on. The AT FIELD is weaker but they seem a lot better at dodging. I'm finding Rei to be the most useful right now since after upgrading her armour she makes a very good support.
-I'm kinda eh on the squad system. I like that it lets you use more units but i hate how long it makes some battles drag out.
-is there a way to keep track of how many destiny points you have earned? Havent seen one so far but i'm guessing I missed it.

At any rate i'm enjoying it so far. My only concern is how long the game seems to be. While i'll probably finish this playthrough the number of route splits is intimidating. Hopefully not a problem provided the last third isn't a slog ala MX portable.

Unrelated question: is Gundam GGG worth getting? If so, any difference between the vita/PS4 versions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Unrelated question: is Gundam GGG worth getting? If so, any difference between the vita/PS4 versions?

Do you like the early UC? If so it's a pretty by the numbers G Generation game with a shockingly good translation considering. If you're looking for anything else tho' nope.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nyeehg posted:

Got Z3 part 1 as a late birthday present and am enjoying it so far (only prior experience with the series was MX portable, alpha 1-2 and the OG series. Couple of observations:

-Boss Borot seems suprisingly awesome in this game. Lots of spirits, decent attack and a lot more durable than i've come to expect.
-On a similar note, the Eva's are still ridiculous early on. The AT FIELD is weaker but they seem a lot better at dodging. I'm finding Rei to be the most useful right now since after upgrading her armour she makes a very good support.
-I'm kinda eh on the squad system. I like that it lets you use more units but i hate how long it makes some battles drag out.
-is there a way to keep track of how many destiny points you have earned? Havent seen one so far but i'm guessing I missed it.

At any rate i'm enjoying it so far. My only concern is how long the game seems to be. While i'll probably finish this playthrough the number of route splits is intimidating. Hopefully not a problem provided the last third isn't a slog ala MX portable.

PS4 version is easier to deal with, as making the needed PSN account is simple to do on PS4 and a pain in the rear end on Vita

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

by the Z series they have late-game balance pretty down. there's a bunch of mooks you effortlessly destroy and then a couple of bosses for your supers to dump valor into.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Do you like the early UC? If so it's a pretty by the numbers G Generation game with a shockingly good translation considering. If you're looking for anything else tho' nope.

I do like early UC gundam. No experience with the G generation games but the good translation is tempting.

drrockso20 posted:

PS4 version is easier to deal with, as making the needed PSN account is simple to do on PS4 and a pain in the rear end on Vita

Other than that how does the vita version perform? I'm hoping it's a good port since i largely prefer to play these on portables when i can (not a deal breaker though).

Endorph posted:

by the Z series they have late-game balance pretty down. there's a bunch of mooks you effortlessly destroy and then a couple of bosses for your supers to dump valor into.

So in other words i can stop stressing about having "the best units° and keep deploying the Borot/lovely gundam pilots into the end game. Good to know :)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly, nowadays in SRW you deploy the best units so you can get through the endgame slog faster.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Both Z3s can turn almost anybody in a monster that can kill every grunt on a stage in a single turn so you can use whoever you want. Endgame Z3.1 wasn't so bad, but Z3.2 goes above and beyond, even when you kill everything in two turns the stages take a while.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Stage 59 in Z3.1 took me like an hour and a half or so even though it was like two turns long on my third playthrough (Buster Beaming everyone) but also on my third playthrough I managed to do the last stage in one turn and that felt pretty good.

My fourth run at Z3.1 has been taking me a year as I got wrapped up in other games (plus the game is a slog at times and I hate having to reorganize my teams after routes). I wanted to do five playthroughs before starting Z3.2. I just need the last trophy for getting all the DEM shop items and SRWZ3.1 will be my first platinum trophy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just remembered in V it's the girl that got the Grungust and the boy that got the Huckebein and I get hype all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of V, I looked at that scan again and one thing I noticed is it looks like it's missing the skills you'd associate with any kind of squad system, like Follow/Focus/Cluster Attack. It's just the basics.

• Locked thread