Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

totally would. founders is great.

beer snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vOv posted:

my favorite explanation i ever heard is that intelligence is knowing tomatos are a fruit but wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad

actually, cherry tomatoes are pro in a fruit salad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

vOv posted:

my favorite explanation i ever heard is that intelligence is knowing tomatos are a fruit but wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

That won't have any of the good stuff in it, it'll just taste like rear end.

Spank Meist eat the rear end cheese.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

" . . . it is impossible to talk anything resembling discretion or judgment to a colored woman. They are all essentially child-like, and even hard experience does not teach them anything." - H. L. Mencken

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry Cotton posted:

" . . . it is impossible to talk anything resembling discretion or judgment to a colored woman. They are all essentially child-like, and even hard experience does not teach them anything." - H. L. Mencken

yeah, yeah. he said some bad things, too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

yeah, yeah. he said some bad things, too

Like what?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I think it was here but somebody posted an article talking about how waaay too many of us mid 20 to mid 30 year olds on the internet are descrbing real events in terms of fictional events, e.g. trump and the empire. Was pretty good, would repost it if I knew how to find it.

fe: fooound it http://thebaffler.com/blog/crash-pop-culture-party-silverman

http://www.revelist.com/pop-culture/trump-voldemort-references/5823

Reagan called his missile defense platform "Star Wars"
people have been comparing Cheney to darth vader since 01

we only see this "change" because now there are a trillion news outlets instead of just tv stations and newspapers and pop culture references get clicks. plus there's a huuuuuuge bias on the internet toward culty references because there are so many more children and neurodiverse people

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingexecutive posted:

Historians from the Missile Defense Agency attribute the term "Star Wars" to a Washington Post article published March 24, 1983, the day after the speech, which quoted Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy describing the proposal as "reckless Star Wars schemes."[82] Some critics used that term derisively, implying it was an impractical science fiction fantasy. In addition, the American media's liberal use of the moniker (despite President Reagan's request that they use the program's official name) did much to damage the program's credibility.[83] In comments to the media on March 7, 1986, Acting Deputy Director of SDIO, Dr. Gerold Yonas, described the name "Star Wars" as an important tool for Soviet disinformation and asserted that the nickname gave an entirely wrong impression of SDI.[84]

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Reagan literally said "may the force be with you"

it's dumb millennial hit-piece trash

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

prefect posted:

"If H. L. Mencken was the Sage of Baltimore, [John] Waters is, at least, the parsley."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Leck posted:

"If H. L. Mencken was the Sage of Baltimore, [John] Waters is, at least, the parsley."

:cawg:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I don't think it can breathe

lobsters store a lot of water around their gills so they can actually stay on land for a while. the girl holding that fella bought it and got the fishermen to release it back into the bay of fundy

http://metronews.ca/#/article/news/canada/2016/11/29/massive-23-pound-lobster-caught-in-bay-of-fundy-could-be-100-years-old.html

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Synthbuttrange posted:

Now I'm thinking of the wizards in D&D being all libertarians

the very rules of the universe don't apply to them because they studied really hard in school and they're smart?

checks out

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Reagan literally said "may the force be with you"

it's dumb millennial hit-piece trash

That's not a great comparison, since Reagan often confused movies with real life.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

this was in the news here in :canada:

vegan buys giant lobster and puts it back in the ocean

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

jay leno sometimes has motorcycles on his car show

i can't imagine a more ill-fitting helmet. it looks like he's wearing something meant for a child

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

about a 25% chance of having his chin filed down to a human size by the brisk application of tarmac.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

travel safe pupper

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

i can't imagine a more ill-fitting helmet. it looks like he's wearing something meant for a child

oh my god lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

AtomD posted:

i listened to some ppl playing a table-top for the first time and someone asked "why are wisdom and intelligence separate stats?" and another player replied "ever wonder why so many engineers are libertarians?"

this is perfect lol

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
travel safe pupper

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
travel safe pupper

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCfTYZJWtI&t=20s

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
travel safe pupper

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

AtomD posted:

i listened to some ppl playing a table-top for the first time and someone asked "why are wisdom and intelligence separate stats?" and another player replied "ever wonder why so many engineers are libertarians?"

it was forums username general ironicus who said it i looked it up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lomarf

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
mods namechange me to KENDRICK LOMARF tyia

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

travel safe pupper

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/jovRa27.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Came across this vid/docu about oblivion development. Got it on as wallpaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heHTE6HbiTY
Lol at most of the stuff I am seeing and hearing

e: there's a horse lady.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

Came across this vid/docu about oblivion development. Got it on as wallpaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heHTE6HbiTY
Lol at most of the stuff I am seeing and hearing

e: there's a horse lady.

good to see that sarah jessica parker is still getting work

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
travel safe pupper

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNV61Rpo-0

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
travel safe pupper

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

oh my god what is that man doing to his chin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

people have been comparing Cheney to darth vader since 01

we only see this "change" because now there are a trillion news outlets instead of just tv stations and newspapers and pop culture references get clicks. plus there's a huuuuuuge bias on the internet toward culty references because there are so many more children and neurodiverse people

referring to the unamerican activities committee as "sounding very harry potter hogwarts kind of language" is shameful as poo poo tho

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

referring to the unamerican activities committee as "sounding very harry potter hogwarts kind of language" is shameful as poo poo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

its also worded like a dumbface

• Locked thread