Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

H110Hawk posted:

Congrats on being always broke through the glory of home improvement. We cut the check for the last of our money on Friday. It will be nice not to be living in a construction zone.

Call a local energy efficiency company if those exist. They will tell you a lot of this stuff for free, handle rebates if they do the work, etc. Our attic and walls were effectively uninsulated and it led to our AC unit running 100% duty cycle from noon-9pm if it got above 90 degrees outside. Today is our first day completely insulated and it's also supposed to get up into the high 80's low 90's so my smart meter should let me see the savings by this time tomorrow!

The company charged us like $6250 out of pocket, but they're fronting us like $2500 in rebates, and I get $500 back at tax time.
I'll have to look into that when I get some of these credit cards paid off. So, in like, 2018 :v:

The prior homeowners were here for 10-12 years and renovated a ton. But they did it cheaply. So all of the appliances were recent, but were low end junk (already replaced the laundry set, and refrigerator). I've got french doors going out the back that clearly don't seal properly in the top and bottom corners between the doors, and my adhesive-backed foam strips only can do so much there. Windows appear to be okay vinyl units as far as I can tell, but compared to my parents recently replaced ones they're nowhere near as nice.

There's some fiberglass laid down over the bedroom ceilings in the attic in the joists that looks haphazardly there. Nothing in between the rafters.

No idea what's in the walls. On hot days I don't turn the thermostat below 78 and that's enough to get it running drat near all the time. I don't even know if the A/C unit outside is even that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pollyanna posted:

The problem with that is that I don't have an alibi to fall back on when I'm asked what I did to try and fix the problem, which opens me up to having blame heaped on me. I feel safer having surefire backup when I say hey sorry, I've literally done what I can, you're gonna have to deal with it. Getting into E/N territory here, but it's a compromise.
You're definitely being reasonable, so I don't mean to be to pig headed, but my point is this - You've literally done nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong. If they got mad at you for breathing, would you say 'I've tried holding my breath while in my apartment, I'm not sure what else to do'? Enough rugs to cover an entire apartment will be expensive (unless you buy cheap ugly ones) and as someone else said, really aren't likely at all to make any difference. You're taking on a cost in order to ultimately fail to fix someone else's irrational problem.

In fact, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the downstairs neighbor putting down rugs in *their* apartment will probably help with sound absorption more.

Anyways though, all this is said to be supportive, not to give you a hard time. Good luck with whatever you do.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Sometimes apartments have a clause in the lease that tenants will cover a certain percentage of hardwood floors with a carpet, so he may not be completely blameless. If that's the case, I would recommend going to ikea for rugs, since they are so inexpensive, and using felt carpet pads underneath for really effective sound dampening. You could also try wearing a pair of crocs as your house slippers, since they are extremely spongy.

If you keep food waste in a sealed can under the sink, your trash won't smell. But if you have your own apartment, a garbage can is definitely in order. Similarly, make sure you're rinsing out recycling before tossing that in its respective bin.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

whalesteak posted:

Sometimes apartments have a clause in the lease that tenants will cover a certain percentage of hardwood floors with a carpet, so he may not be completely blameless. If that's the case, I would recommend going to ikea for rugs, since they are so inexpensive, and using felt carpet pads underneath for really effective sound dampening. You could also try wearing a pair of crocs as your house slippers, since they are extremely spongy.

I checked the lease, there's no such clause. I might get a cheap lovely rug anyway just to have one. And I thought slippers wouldn't actually help, since the issue is any amount of weight at all hitting the floor, and the slippers don't change that? I might as well try, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You would want slippers with padding. Don't get ones with rubber or plastic soles since that'll be just like wearing shoes around, you want the big fluffy kind so your feet don't hit the floor as hard.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm with Slugworth here - I wouldn't spend any money on something I wasn't already planning on getting, like slippers. If you weren't going to buy a rug before, don't buy one now just because your neighbor complained to you about hearing you walk in your apartment. Your landlord should be responsible for soundproofing (within reason) units.

I say within reason because if you were cranking your sub up to 10 and blasting music ridiculously loud then yeah, your downstairs neighbor is right to complain. But to complain about hearing you walking in your apartment? Tough poo poo, comes with renting. Does this same neighbor bitch about people cooking and smells coming out of those apartments too?

Edit - holy poo poo didn't realize that post was a month old.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I lived in a WW2 era apartment in Queens for a few years and I really only had two noise issues: the kids in the apartment next door would bounce a basket ball against the wall that my couch was on. It would make stuff rattle. They would also bounce the ball in the hall against people's front doors. When I asked the father to do something about it he complained that they had no where to play.

The other issue was the person above me with a piano. That was maddening.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So what did happen w the footsteps and the slippers and the downstairs neighbor?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So how difficult is tiling a tub/shower? The tv shows make it look easy but I know better than that. 60 year old house, I gutted and remodeled the bathroom but the framing around the tub is original. What I'm worried about is getting the cement board nice and flat, my understanding is flat goes a long way toward making tiling easier. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a foam product to go between studs and the cement board to compensate for minor variations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

wormil posted:

So how difficult is tiling a tub/shower? The tv shows make it look easy but I know better than that. 60 year old house, I gutted and remodeled the bathroom but the framing around the tub is original. What I'm worried about is getting the cement board nice and flat, my understanding is flat goes a long way toward making tiling easier. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a foam product to go between studs and the cement board to compensate for minor variations.

When I did tile jobs, green drywall went on the studs, got mudded and taped, and then cement board on that. We cut the cement board with a circ saw (outside) and vacuumed the edges, and vacuumed a lot inside before screwing anything down. Tile mastic was used to fill seams and touch up any gaps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wormil posted:

Tiling a flat surface is 1% as hard as a not flat surface, yes. Foam would move causing grout to crack.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wormil posted:

It's not overly difficult, just finicky. Anyone with an eye for detail can do it just fine though. However, if it's your first time, and you aren't expecting a perfectly flat surface, you should be looking at smaller tiles. Large ones really telegraph any bow in the wall (best way to understand why is to picture applying large tiles to a column vs small ones.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looked through the last 5 pages and couldn't find a flooring thread. If there is a better thread for this, please point me in the right direction.

My girlfriend and I are looking to replace the flooring for almost our entire house, since it is pretty much all 15 year old carpet that looks pretty lovely. The vinyl in the kitchen still looks great, so it's staying. We're currently looking at doing Pergo Outlast laminate for the first floor and stairs (~350 sq ft.) and carpet in the bedrooms/closets ( ~450 sq ft.). There is a landing at the top of the stairs that we are undecided about carpet or laminate.

House Info: 2 stories, 1360 sq ft., 3 bed (all upstairs), 2 1/2 bath in Austin, Texas. Built in 1999.

We're currently looking at installing the laminate ourselves, and having an installer do the carpet upstairs (super heavy/unwieldy furniture that we don't want to deal with, and Home Depot is offering free carpet installs currently). We've got a few random questions we were hoping some goons could help us out with.

- Any recommendations on carpet brands/types? We have pets, so stain resistance/cleanability is important.Willing to go up to $3.50 /sq ft.

- Pergo Outlast seems to have been the best reputation for sturdy water resistant laminate we can find. Anyone have any thoughts here?

- What resale value considerations are there for carpet vs. laminate in specific areas. Could/should we just do laminate in the bedrooms too?

- Anything else that we should be considering that we aren't?

Thanks goons.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 27, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've only used Armstrong laminate flooring and it has served me well. I even left a piece outside to see how it would hold up, better than you would expect. My only advice is do the whole floor at once in the same laminate. It's pretty easy to install.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It might be worth paying for a Consumer Reports website subscription, they have very detailed comparisons of different brands and types of flooring (they test resistance to foot traffic, scratches, dents, stains, and sunlight fading). This website has more details on the differences between Pergo types. You have two main choices for laminate flooring depending on what kind of resistance you care for: Pergo Max Premiere is thicker (12mm planks) so more durable against dents and impact damage. Pergo Outlast+ is thinner (10mm planks) but better sealed against stains and moisture. Personally I'd go with Max Premiere for the additional strength, since it is already rated as having excellent stain resistance.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 27, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the info. That is a super useful link.

That link is showing that both are 12mm though, it's the XP that is 10mm. Outlast+ and Max Premier have the same impact ratings, Outlast just has the better moisture protection, so I think that's what we're going to go with.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice on carpet?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Don't get carpet.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

That link is showing that both are 12mm though, it's the XP that is 10mm. Outlast+ and Max Premier have the same impact ratings, Outlast just has the better moisture protection, so I think that's what we're going to go with.
Outlast+ is 10mm of wood with 2mm of pre-attached underlayment, the Max Premiere is 12mm of wood without the pre-attached underlayment (you apply it yourself), so 2mm more wood for more durability. Either are fine choices though.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 28, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

Outlast+ is 10mm of wood with 2mm of pre-attached underlayment, the Max Premiere is 12mm of wood without the pre-attached underlayment (you apply it yourself), so 2mm more wood for more durability. Either are fine choices though.

Ahaaaa. That makes sense. We've got a cat with a hairball problem, so I think we'll opt for the improved moisture protection over impact protection. Thanks a ton.

coathat posted:

Don't get carpet.

I hear you. See above about the cat though. Cleanup for laminate will be way easier than carpet. On top of that, while I know that the whole "buyers like carpet in bedrooms." maxim is pretty much gone, my girlfriend much prefers it for her own livability reasons. It's also way the hell cheaper/easier to install than laminate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I put down pergo xp throughout most of my house this year...i guess if anything i'm not a fan of how much creaking i get from the flooring and wish it didn't have the underlayment attached because I would have used a higher quality and thicker underlayment if I had the option.

I'm also not a huge fan of how cheap the transitions look and feel but they are made by a different company.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our flooring got its first real chip yesterday. A sliver the size of a grain of rice. I don't think the baby has been dropping knives in the middle of the kitchen, but toddlers are unpredictable :/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm redoing my backyard. I want to do river rock along the narrow strip to the left of the walkway and mulch in the back along the garage. Where should my border be?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to find a two-seat (65~70" W) sofa for my small apartment, but most of the cheaper ones at IKEA aren't flatpacked, or are way too bulky to fit up my staircase (it's narrow). What kinds of sofas should I be looking for to alleviate this? Do sofas typically disassemble well, or are they just not the kind of furniture that moves well? It's easier for me to manage several smaller boxes than one large box, but it looks like most sofas are just one big block. Are sectionals a good choice to haul up a few floors? Or should I just give up and grab a couple of independent armchairs instead?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 1, 2016

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I have no idea if they're comfortable or durable, but the giant beanbag company "Lovesac" makes sectionals that come in mix n match pieces.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Seconding the sectional idea. My current couch is two sectional end pieces (a chaise lounge bit and a regular seat bit) and they're not much harder to move than an overstuffed arm chair. Have you hit up actual furniture stores yet?

A high-quality (i.e. not from Walmart or something) futon may also work for you (seriously, there are some really nice ones out there if you go somewhere that doesn't cater to college kids).

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Renovated a 30+ year old trailer we got handed down from family as a bare, mostly disassembled, metal frame. When taking time/materials into account I could probably have bought half a new trailer from what I've spent. But it was a pretty fun process, no regrets.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We'll be making our own brick driveway parking space. Are we going to Munchkin Hell?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any thoughts on waterproofing products and bathtub/showers? It's your basic bathtub with shower, cement board walls. I taped all the seams and thinset over them. Then for good measure I applied Redguard over the seams and put several coats of waterproofing cloth and Redguard over and around the shower niche. Should the entire thing be roll brush with Redguard too? Seems like overkill to me considering it will be covered in thinset and tile. ??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
I just finished my bathroom in entirety, I applied RedGuard to the entire shower surround for good measure and only used half of the medium sized bucket, but I had leakage and mold issues before hand, so I wasn't about to take any risks, hell, I even shellacked the studs first.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I ended up covering the whole thing, not like I had any other use for it. It took about 25% of a gallon for the shower niche, seams, and screw heads; and almost all the rest to do the walls. There is just a little left. I'm glad I doubled coated the seams and screws because rolling it on didn't leave a very thick coat. I'll get started on the tile over the holidays, gonna be plain white subway tile.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Not sure if this is really the place for it, but where's a place to get towels, bed sheets, etc., that isn't outrageously expensive?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

10 Beers posted:

Not sure if this is really the place for it, but where's a place to get towels, bed sheets, etc., that isn't outrageously expensive?
Amazon, their house brand Pinzon is pretty good. If you're not picky about color they'll often have a less popular color on an even steeper discount.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Ross, TJ Maxx, similar stores. Ours have lasted several years, I know because they are up for replacement. We have 3 sets of sheets which are changed every other week. They're the same stuff that the big department stores carry but at Target/Wal-Mart bargain prices.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good how-to book for new homeowners?

I'm looking for something that would have checklists with detailed instructions for things you should do right after taking ownership (eg changing locks), monthly, quarterly, yearly (eg cleaning refrigerator coils) as well as seasonally (eg how/when to flush external spigots). I'd rather not have to learn those things the hard way when lack of maintenance causes a problem.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

wormil posted:

Yeah I ended up covering the whole thing, not like I had any other use for it. It took about 25% of a gallon for the shower niche, seams, and screw heads; and almost all the rest to do the walls. There is just a little left. I'm glad I doubled coated the seams and screws because rolling it on didn't leave a very thick coat. I'll get started on the tile over the holidays, gonna be plain white subway tile.

A bit late for this, but glad to hear you covered it all. Tile and thinset aren't a vapor barrier or even really waterproof when new and leak more as the grout ages and cracks. traditionally tar paper behind the thinset would act as the waterproofing layer.

I recently did a bathroom using Kerdi membrane and while it worked ok I think for the next one I will just use the standard polyethylene over the studs covered with cement board. Also modern best practice seems to point toward no gypsum board(even green/blue/purple) anywhere in a shower/tub.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Bibendum posted:

A bit late for this, but glad to hear you covered it all. Tile and thinset aren't a vapor barrier or even really waterproof when new and leak more as the grout ages and cracks. traditionally tar paper behind the thinset would act as the waterproofing layer.

I recently did a bathroom using Kerdi membrane and while it worked ok I think for the next one I will just use the standard polyethylene over the studs covered with cement board. Also modern best practice seems to point toward no gypsum board(even green/blue/purple) anywhere in a shower/tub.

What was your problem with the Kerdi? I'm about to do a shower with it.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
No particular problem, just pretty expensive and the requirement for unmodified thinset complicates things a bit. It was my first time really doing tile so i felt like it steepened the learning curve a bit. Also the corner pieces are thick and make getting a flat clean corner tricky. It will help if you have a partner to mix for you, I found that even mixing thin and doing small portions fast the thinset would be going off before I used it all and I found a few spots I had to clean and retry the next day.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 6, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are prefab bathrooms uncommon or just unkawaii? Our Toto shower & bath unit is amazing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

peanut posted:

Are prefab bathrooms uncommon or just unkawaii? Our Toto shower & bath unit is amazing.

I don't think we have those in the States, I had to Google it. Big bathrooms are the fashion here so they probably wouldn't sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wormil posted:

I don't think we have those in the States, I had to Google it. Big bathrooms are the fashion here so they probably wouldn't sell.

Shower + bath inserts are totally a thing here, but are most commonly seen in rapid construction tract homes/condos. They give you only one point to seriously leak (the drain) and are incredibly easy to install if you have level surfaces. Or based on the condo we rented for a while, not level surfaces. It made loud creaking and popping noises if you stood in one section.