Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jabor posted:

I'd imagine it's a space issue. Cascade uses "whose converted mana cost is less than this spell's converted mana cost" in the rulebook (where space isn't a concern), and simply "that costs less" in the reminder text (where you just need to get the idea across without being totally precise).

It seems like it's usually "less than or equal to" which is a fair bit longer, so you're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Here's a hot take: Scrap Trawler will probably be good in affinity

I'll mainly be happy if I can go mini-wrath > Shardless Agent > whatever in Legacy though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mfcrocker posted:

Here's a hot take: Scrap Trawler will probably be good in affinity

I'll mainly be happy if I can go mini-wrath > Shardless Agent > whatever in Legacy though

Scrap Trawler gets real owned by Path unfortunately. If you're paying 3 mana for something in Affinity, would you rather have an unkillable Etched Champion, or an 8/8 Master of Etherium that pumps all your other critters? Maybe there's a grindy build of Affinity available that wants Scrap Trawler, or maybe some sort of combo with Phyrexian Metamorph or something, but I can't see Trawler being good enough in regular beatdown Affinity.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hellsau posted:

Scrap Trawler gets real owned by Path unfortunately. If you're paying 3 mana for something in Affinity, would you rather have an unkillable Etched Champion, or an 8/8 Master of Etherium that pumps all your other critters? Maybe there's a grindy build of Affinity available that wants Scrap Trawler, or maybe some sort of combo with Phyrexian Metamorph or something, but I can't see Trawler being good enough in regular beatdown Affinity.

Yeah, I don't think it's better than Master of Etherium or Etched Champion, maybe a matchup will come up where it's a good sideboard card? Also perhaps for shenanigans with Arcbound Ravager? But Affinity has a load of CMC0 artifacts that do nothing with this, so many that I don't think it's offset by the CMC1 guys being replaced with them, especially since Nexuses won't be artifacts in the GY.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I was mainly thinking Ravager shenanigans. Sac off all the 0-mana artifacts, sac off all the 1-mana artifacts, replay all the 0-mana ones. It's probably a bit win more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Temur something that is just removal up to 4 drop then Dark Dwellers, Torrential Gearhulks, and Bedlam Revelers.

That's a crapton of 5 and 6 drops.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

February's FNM Promo is Fortune's Favor, breaking the chain they had of cards that have at least seen some play somewhere. :psyduck:

Also this week's story is about the Aetherborn Yahenni (from the spoiled sweeper) and is actually a really interesting concept.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PlasticAutomaton posted:

February's FNM Promo is Fortune's Favor, breaking the chain they had of cards that have at least seen some play somewhere. :psyduck:

Also this week's story is about the Aetherborn Yahenni (from the spoiled sweeper) and is actually a really interesting concept.

Maybe they totally guessed that it'd be the hot poo poo with KLD and sent it to the printers before seeing results.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Guessing they thought it would have been used except they printed a much better draw spell at 4 mana in the next set.

God could you imagine Foresee in this environment.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

God could you imagine Foresee in this environment.

yes, it would probably be worse than glimmer because it can't be flashed back with bluehulk

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

yes, it would probably be worse than glimmer because it can't be flashed back with bluehulk

Honestly I think having access to Scry 4 would cause decks to play differently and use less instants.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

Honestly I think having access to Scry 4 would cause decks to play differently and use less instants.

Nah, Gearhulk is too much value.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, I was mainly thinking Ravager shenanigans. Sac off all the 0-mana artifacts, sac off all the 1-mana artifacts, replay all the 0-mana ones. It's probably a bit win more.

Sounds a like it'd have a much better chance as part of a KCI/Eggs-style combo deck than as a value play. Not completely sure what that would look like, but anything that puts you up a card every time you do the thing your deck is built around doing has potential to be very busted.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The two Yahenni stories, this one and the one about his party from a few months ago, have been some of the best lore articles they've done. He's a really cool character who's more fleshed out than most of the Gatewatch.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Fish Of Doom posted:

The two Yahenni stories, this one and the one about his party from a few months ago, have been some of the best lore articles they've done. He's a really cool character who's more fleshed out than most of the Gatewatch.

They, shitlord

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Sounds a like it'd have a much better chance as part of a KCI/Eggs-style combo deck than as a value play. Not completely sure what that would look like, but anything that puts you up a card every time you do the thing your deck is built around doing has potential to be very busted.

I think you just sideboard it in when they side out their removal.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Three mana bomberman that dodges pithing needle effects but not fetchable with imperial recruiter seems solid for that fringe deck. Cons are you need the bomb in play or in hand to go off with it and it dies to bolt. Definitely would not replace bomberman but a 1-of in the board to bring in with an e. tutor package against faster combo seems legit.

Edit: never mind you can't loop it without some other junk going on. Maybe it will work in eggs in modern.

PERPETUAL IDIOT fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 30, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nah, Gearhulk is too much value.

Also I think scry 2 + 2 energy + instant is pretty much on par with scry 4 even without bluehulk.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Friendly reminder to everyone to not buy poo poo from Troll and Toad. I've had friends complain about their extremely lovely grading before but bought a $40 card from their ebay store since I had an ebay coupon. Card was advertised as NM, and it has light scratches all over it like it was in a box without a sleeve, as well as pen-tip sized dents along the side and bottom border.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Return to Ravnica players: Unfortunately, due to bugs, Common Bond and Mana Bloom have been removed from RTR boosters. #MTGO"

Never change, modo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
how the hell does common bond have bugs.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

A big flaming stink posted:

Moreover, how the hell did MODO introduce bugs to Common Bond when it worked fine the first time around?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A big flaming stink posted:

If it was implemented new, I'd guess "it puts a +1/+1 counter on two target creatures instead of what the card actually says".

But since it was working fine when RTR was around the first time, I have no idea what they could have possibly changed to break it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Did they revamp targeting in the last 4 years?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Fish Of Doom posted:

I love the fact that the Gatewatch has killed so many people things in their whopping two outings that seeing Yahenni straight murder two cops has absolutely no impact on any of them.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I'm imagining what a hilarious disaster it would have been if Liliana had been the one to comfort Yahenni, instead of Nissa.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just realized I've unwittingly collected everything for modern Jund except Goyfs.

I'm scared!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just realized I've unwittingly collected everything for modern Jund except Goyfs.

I'm scared!

I've got 4 future sight ones with your name on em

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

I've got 4 future sight ones with your name on em

I've got a couple foil new ones if you decide on those instead.

Goyf still needs trample. :negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm scared!

You know what you must do :evilbuddy:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Count Bleck posted:

You know what you must do :evilbuddy:

Right, he needs to obtain a few minor upgrades and build the superior deck: Junk.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Here's the rest of Quicksmith Rebel.

The full text seems to be:

Quicksmith Rebel, 3R
Creature - Human Artificer
When Quicksmith Rebel enters the battlefield, target artifact you control gains "T: This artifact deals 2 damage to target creature or player" for as long as you control Quicksmith Rebel.
3/2

The fact that it's not actually a Rebel makes me sad, though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Seems pretty sweet to toss on some static effect artifact or, if we want to get creative, one of those ones from OG Mirrodin that only do an effect when untapped.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5qbG38mB8

SaffronOlive gets some standard showdown packs sent direct from wizards and whatddya know, he gets 3 premium lands and an $80 expedition....

The whole vid is cringey as gently caress and just screams "I was paid to make this"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AceClown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5qbG38mB8

SaffronOlive gets some standard showdown packs sent direct from wizards and whatddya know, he gets 3 premium lands and an $80 expedition....

The whole vid is cringey as gently caress and just screams "I was paid to make this"

#NotStaged

On the subject of cringy.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/frontier#paper

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, they're sponsoring "content" related to the Standard Showdown packs. I don't think they're necessarily seeding them (I saw nothing but junk get opened), but advertising is a thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EW

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah there's an uneasy feeling I'm getting from WotC right now. I think they're exploiting the goodwill and trust the community puts in to certain content creators. The TCC Professor made a video on the packs that basically said "Standard showdown is a great move! Hopefully your packs are better than mine!" when in the past he has made videos saying WotC should probably make boosters worth the money people spend on them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I love how there's only a couple events listed and nobody knows what's going on so each metagame% is copy/pasted. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't that dude speak like a normal person. It's the aural equivalent of TyPiNg LiKe ThIs AnD i HaTe It.

• Locked thread