Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Yeah for as much as I like this show it sucks that half the plots involve lovely writing and actors. Its a bummer that Maeve is shaping up to be a major character in the series because every scene she's in is intolerable.

I can forgive most of Maeve's poo poo because she is a man-made facsimile of a no-bullshit woman who charms men with words. Of course her dialogue is going to be unrealistic.

No one is taking about how Ford's dialogue is unnaturally performative but that's seems to be because Hopkins has a free pass for being so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

all we know for sure is it's about 500sq miles thanks to a nolan interview

That almost seems small based on the scale we've seen so far. Then again, there's cattle ranches now that are an order of magnitude larger than that so at that size it really could be just be out west somewhere.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Nill posted:

The Elsie that Stubbs will find "alive". :v:

Who is there to code her behaviour so that Stubbs does not instantly know that it is a replacement? There are questions he could ask that Stubbs and real Elsie would know that a replacement would not. If there is a replacement Elsie it will be a plot device to alert Stubbs that the game is afoot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was liking Maeve until about the third episode in a row of her Woke storyline. It just started to feel like the writers were spinning their wheels, and they kept retreading the same thing. Maeve threatens Sylvester and seduces Felix, goes back into service, gets killed, seduces Felix and threatens Sylvester, etc.

And that one closing line, "We're going to have some fun, aren't we boys?", kind of had my hopes up that something interesting was about to happen but then it really didn't. I'm not really holding out for her rebellion to go anywhere in the finale, because if there's one complaint I have about this show, it's that they love to tease something huge that kind of fizzles out because the status quo has to be maintained. They can't go full on park massacre this early in the series, and Maeve succeeding in escaping means her character is basically written off the show.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

morcant posted:

I agree. Ford has no reason to be suspicious of Stubbs at this point, unless he's unassailably omniscient about everything in the park, which would be pretty lame imo. Also, the Ghost Nation has worked as a sort of plot device before

They have to get the Indians involved at some point. I can see a lot of next season being about them. I am really interested and a bit anxious to see how they portray them - so many pitfalls they could fall into. I don't think that they will ignore them and expect that there have been some pretty interesting things going on in their part of the park.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

grilldos posted:

I can forgive most of Maeve's poo poo because she is a man-made facsimile of a no-bullshit woman who charms men with words. Of course her dialogue is going to be unrealistic.

No one is taking about how Ford's dialogue is unnaturally performative but that's seems to be because Hopkins has a free pass for being so loving good.

I'm fine with Ford being theatrical, I think it fits the character very well, he's a man who seems obsessed with drama and sees the entire world as being inferior to fiction.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

They have to get the Indians involved at some point. I can see a lot of next season being about them. I am really interested and a bit anxious to see how they portray them - so many pitfalls they could fall into. I don't think that they will ignore them and expect that there have been some pretty interesting things going on in their part of the park.

By pitfalls do you mean something like they encourage a host to go on a Vision Quest which ends up revealing the truth about the park?

Cause I feel like that has to happen.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

WampaLord posted:

By pitfalls do you mean something like they encourage a host to go on a Vision Quest which ends up revealing the truth about the park?

Cause I feel like that has to happen.

Well, the show does have some leeway because they can always argue that it is just the narrative people who are racist and have a dim/benighted view of the Indians. But, yeah, some stereotyped speech, some spirit vision, some noble savage versus barbarian tropes could make me pretty unhappy. Hopefully they can do something where they are outwardly one way (ie violent) to protect their territory but that they are secretly advanced and have a lot figured out, etc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, the show does have some leeway because they can always argue that it is just the narrative people who are racist and have a dim/benighted view of the Indians. But, yeah, some stereotyped speech, some spirit vision, some noble savage versus barbarian tropes could make me pretty unhappy. Hopefully they can do something where they are outwardly one way (ie violent) to protect their territory but that they are secretly advanced and have a lot figured out, etc.

It would be super hilarious if the chief of the tribe totally knows everything about the park, having figured it out years ago, but he enjoys his "life" anyway and just acts like a good chief would. I feel like that could be a good flip on our expectations.

He's all "Oh yea, I know where the maze is. Sure, I'll tell you how to get there, but trust me, it won't make you happy. Better to accept our lot. Look at me, I get to be chief!"

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Totally agree. It's almost 2017, maybe we could have a story that involves Native Americans that doesn't run entirely on tropes and stereotypes.

Also, there are so many small details going on in this show I can't remember - was it one of the tribes or that more rural village with the little girl that had incorporated the hazmat-suited retrieval team into their belief system?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

morcant posted:

Also, there are so many small details going on in this show I can't remember - was it one of the tribes or that more rural village with the little girl that had incorporated the hazmat-suited retrieval team into their belief system?

It was a group of Indians going through town with the army guarding them. We don't know more backstory than that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The economics of Hollywood studios have slowly changed and there is less space for mid-budget adult fare, there are less studio films and the ones that are made are bigger-budget, blockbuster type films.

The elephant in the room in Hollywood is China. When they're inserting entirely superfluous subplots starring actors who are famous in China into major releases, it's a pretty clear indication that their marketing focus is moving several thousand miles west.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-china-hollywood-are-teaming-up-to-ruin-movies/

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Yeah for as much as I like this show it sucks that half the plots involve lovely writing and actors. Its a bummer that Maeve is shaping up to be a major character in the series because every scene she's in is intolerable.

Maeve is great sorry for your lots

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maeve is great but she's no Marti.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm fine with Ford being theatrical, I think it fits the character very well, he's a man who seems obsessed with drama and sees the entire world as being inferior to fiction.
This is a great analysis.

Also, I can't help but give Hopkins a free pass because Hopkins, I just can't.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Also, the flashback to Dolores and Arnold talking was right after she saw herself in the window. I seem to remember the same trigger when she sees herself in the parade and I wonder if that always triggers the memories of Arnold. If so, why?

I think the Arnold flashbacks are finished by the time they get to pariah (they end in ep4 when he tells her about the maze, and she goes to las Mudas), and in Ep3 she has a flashback from looking in the mirror but it's to MiB's barn scene. Not all of the Arnold scenes are cut to from Dolores either. So reflections are a memory thing but not specifically an arnold thing, I'd say.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

They could show us some guests going on a quest with the indians and one of them being pissed off about how this portrayal is stereotypical and offensive and the others defending it because the entire western motiff is a stereotype and then they get butchered by hosts Maeve has set to killallhumans

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

Maeve is great sorry for your lots

Actually she sucks and her actress is bad and her story with the two techs is retarded.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

fadam posted:

Actually she sucks and her actress is bad and her story with the two techs is retarded.

Sorry but she rules and is the opposite of what you said.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I don't think so, Tim.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fadam posted:

She is great and the actress is good but her story with the butchers was indeed a bit retarded at times

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

She is great and the actress is good but her story with the butchers was indeed a bit retarded at times

I feel like a lot of people are bitching about the butchers not stopping her and I don't get it.

It's clear that Felix wants to help her, so he has no motivation. Sylvester obviously does want to stop her, but she's straight up told him "I'll loving kill you" and then basically did kill him, so what exactly do you expect him to do?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/jj-abrams-promises-westworlds-season-finale-is-insane/3433164

JJ abrams teases finale on Jimmy Fallon but more importantly

Another good look at the weird thing on Ford's desk

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's not a nice way of talking about Charlotte.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I do think so, Tim.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Fooz posted:

Still doesn't answer what the gently caress it is, in fact I may be even more confused now.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thing on his desk is the first skull made for a host and it got shot to hell.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/jj-abrams-promises-westworlds-season-finale-is-insane/3433164

At the 13 min mark there is it a clip of the next episode.

Ford and the robo arny are going to kill everyone

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Bitch please. The satellite uplink would a directional, possibly parabolic antenna. To jam Stubb's cellphone, she would need an omnidirectional antenna.

You are wrong.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Fooz posted:

My first thought is that it looks like a meteorite. Definitely metallic and probably subjected to intense heat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Probably a magic rose from Beauty and the Beast but he encased it in metal so it would never lose its petals and he can be a beast forever. Smart guy.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I feel like a lot of people are bitching about the butchers not stopping her and I don't get it.

It's clear that Felix wants to help her, so he has no motivation. Sylvester obviously does want to stop her, but she's straight up told him "I'll loving kill you" and then basically did kill him, so what exactly do you expect him to do?

I thought Sylvester's motivation was that she knows he's been pimping out hosts to other workers and erasing the logs, neither of which he should be doing (duh).

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

DoctorGonzo posted:

At the 13 min mark there is it a clip of the next episode.

Ford and the robo arny are going to kill everyone
Christ, I hope Ford does go ham and kill Charlotte because her stifled, smug bullshit acting is bad. Bad bad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WampaLord posted:

No, I understand them (Sylvester is probably a bit too dumb, but ok). My problem is with those 2 low rank dumbarses doing all they did without being noticed in this supposedly high security facility

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, I understand them (Sylvester is probably a bit too dumb, but ok). My problem is with those 2 low rank dumbarses doing all they did without being noticed in this supposedly high security facility

Oh yea. Raising any of the hosts intelligence to max should certainly be something that needs admin approval.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Stop her literally any of the times he used the tablet to mess with her brain. Make all her stats zero.

The whole plot line is moronic and the three actors involved fuckin suck but because Thandie Newton is "yas queen slay" people ignore it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A quick fix would've been to have Sylvester try to lower her stats but it wouldn't work if she didn't allow it the same way she can't be frozen or forced into sleep mode anymore after "waking".

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I like Thandie Newton and I also like Game of Thrones the television show

come at me TVIV

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thing on his desk is the first skull made for a host and it got shot to hell.

Yeah, that's exactly what I guessed when we first saw it. Its gonna be a prototype robobrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I like Thandie but I think if it weren't for Anthony Hopkins this show would go from must-see fantastic television to a sci-fi nerds-only niche program. He just owns every scene and earns every dollar. There's no clunker of a scene that can't be fixed by a cut to Hopkins gazing at the camera and muttering something.

• Locked thread