Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

Magical Express is a hot mess right now. As long as you have made a ME reservation, you'll be allowed on the bus. You don't absolutely have to have the luggage tags. If you don't receive them in the mail, you can check your bags at your originating airport and hang on to the baggage claim ticket they give you. When you get to Orlando, give the Magical Express cast member that claim ticket and they'll grab your bags for you from baggage claim. Or you can grab your bags from baggage claim yourself and bring them with you to Magical Express and the driver will load and unload your bags from the bus for you.

Oh I get that there are workarounds for the bags. My main concern is what I've bolded above: There's no way to confirm this, since every time I call they seem to have no knowledge that I've made a reservation already. I'm fine collecting my own bags if needed; I don't want to get to the Magical Express and for them to deny me boarding because they can't find any reservation under my name, and then have to find alternate transportation to the resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I see. I really don't think they would turn you away as long as you have a resort reservation.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The only problem we have ever had with ME was due to the airline removing the ME tags from our luggage which screwed up everything. Still not sure why that happened

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/12/breaking-epcots-spaceship-earth-to-become-giant-star-wars-death-star-at-walt-disney-world/

Harry Potter really made Disney go full on star wars retard mode eh

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I really liked Spaceship Earth. :smith:

I've been meaning to post a trip report but have been super busy (and caught plane plague) since we came back.

The gist of it is, Disney World was exhausting and I loved every second. It would take me a long time to list ask the reasons it was amazing.

Universal was fun to see, but my husband and I aren't roller coaster people so it wasn't nearly as good as Disney was in our opinions. Still enjoyed sending photos of ourselves at Hogsmeade to our friends and seeing their reactions.

Thank you again to all who guided me through planning this trip!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's most likely just a projection thing and it's a pretty obvious marketing gem. Is not like they're changing the ride or anything. It'll be neat to see on the monorail especially. "That's no Spaceship Earth..."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If me and my girlfriend wanted to go check out Jellyrolls one night would we have to take a Uber back or do busses run from the boardwalk?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Its a one night projection of the death star onto spaceship earth, its not like they are changing the whole thing....

I think its cute. Why not celebrate a movie about the death star by making the giant metal ball you have into a death star for one night.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm against it mostly cause it will emboldened Universal to light projection a minion onto the lighthouse.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Let's not jump to conclusions and turn into a 13 year old about this.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm doing the Star Wars 5K in April. Hope they Death Star it up for that. The Mike Wazowski one was pretty neat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Empress Brosephine posted:

If me and my girlfriend wanted to go check out Jellyrolls one night would we have to take a Uber back or do busses run from the boardwalk?
The buses from the resorts at the boardwalk don't go to the other resorts.

However, if you have admission to Epcot for that day (via Park Hopper or whatever), you could walk back through Epcot and take a bus from there to any resort.

Edit: Although if you're hanging out at Jellyrolls, Epcot will probably be closed by the time you'd want to catch a bus back. Unless it's an EMH night.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thank you i was considering boardwalk > disney springs > pop also which shoul dwork I guess

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Would you guys pay for this? Express park to park busing?

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/12/breaking-epcots-spaceship-earth-to-become-giant-star-wars-death-star-at-walt-disney-world

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Straight up one of the worst ideas. We keep backstage areas private for several reasons, least of all because it allows you to remain carefree on your vacation in a magical world without seeing the moving cogs that make it possible. Having a bus pick people up backstage is just...terrible.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...I would pay for it though...

One more week! Can't wait.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think this was your intended link: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/12/breaking-walt-disney-world-adding-express-bus-service-price/

When I went between parks, I usually jumped on the monorail or a boat, or walked out of the World Showcase to the Boardwalk area. I tried to make the journey part of the experience, maybe spend a bit of time in a resort lobby relaxing on the way.

I guess if you can skip bag check lines, it might have some value. However, if I were to pay for it, I'd expect it to be more frequent than every 30 minutes. Not very express at that rate.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Straight up one of the worst ideas. We keep backstage areas private for several reasons, least of all because it allows you to remain carefree on your vacation in a magical world without seeing the moving cogs that make it possible. Having a bus pick people up backstage is just...terrible.

Agree 110%. Walt would not be pleased with this change. Magic Kingdom should only be entered coming down Main St USA.

nbakyfan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 3, 2016

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Man, did Shanghai cost them so much, that anything and everything that was thrown onto the idea board is now up being taken into consideration? Luckily the transport one doesn't have an effect on the average visitor. The paid Monorail pubcraw, I'm neutral to negative on, due to the potential taking of an area away that was free for fireworks viewing, and I'm still laughing at paid view people get from "Tiana’s Riverboat Party" for the parade.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 3, 2016

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I agree 100% too. The only back area I'm happy that exists to the public is the exit path at MK that lets you avoid Main Street at the end of the night, and even that feels like it shouldn't exist. I can also think of 1000 other things I'd rather spend $15 on.

E: thanks Guy for the correct link, got caught in copy/paste hell

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Going to Disney World for the first time in a few weeks and I'd like to shoot some stuff for my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cartoons101 It's about the history of animation, so I'd really like to take advantage of my time in the park for some cool stuff. I'd like to do something sort of akin to Randomland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?LiveFastDiePoor

Does anyone have any tips for Disney parks vlogging? It's such a huge thing now, but I can barely find any information about actually doing it online. I think I'll bring my camera and a monopod for shooting video of myself.

Also if you have any ideas for animation history related videos to shoot, I'd love to hear them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Backstage busses: a really silly idea but apparently it's a response to guests spending money on Uber rides between parks. People would rather pay for an Uber than take a Disney bus because it's faster. Now Disney wants some of that cash.

Of course they could work on improving their transportation for all guests but :effort:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
GPS on buses and hook that into the MDE app would be a better use of time so we know when the buses are coming.

I actually enjoy using the buses, I like talking to people at Disney. Got to teach a lady how to use her snapchat so her kids would stop pestering her.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some (maybe most now?) resort bus stops have the time to next bus displayed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some of my best disney memories are riding the bus back to pop at like 2 am. its kind of serene and nice.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Can anyone comment on whether staying on-property at Universal is worth it? Crowds shouldn't be too bad when we're there, so probably won't get the Express Pass thing either way. Mostly asking whether the park shuttles (we will have a car) or "experience" are recommended.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was listening to a disney podcast that isn't dolewhipped (SSORRY BRAKSGIRL) and they said staying on property is worth it alone for the express passes so :shrug:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like the Universal hotels. If you don't care about Express, Cabana Bay is really good for the price and Sapphire is better still.

Then the three higher end resorts are all good I like Hard Rock over Portofino but I've never stayed at Royal Pacific. Their lobby is nice though. Those three all include express pass with the room price.

Cabana Bay has bus service to the parks which isn't bad but drops you near the parking garage. The other 4 have boats which take you to the park entrance.

FYI if you have a car, parking at the hotels is not free. I think it's like $15/night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the Universal resorts are pretty nice. I'd put the ones I've been to on the moderate level on the Disney scale.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Going to Disney World for the first time in a few weeks and I'd like to shoot some stuff for my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cartoons101 It's about the history of animation, so I'd really like to take advantage of my time in the park for some cool stuff. I'd like to do something sort of akin to Randomland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?LiveFastDiePoor

Does anyone have any tips for Disney parks vlogging? It's such a huge thing now, but I can barely find any information about actually doing it online. I think I'll bring my camera and a monopod for shooting video of myself.

Also if you have any ideas for animation history related videos to shoot, I'd love to hear them.

I know that I always check out many videos about Disney Parks history. I know a number of the early animators, including a few of The Nine Old Men, worked in Disneyland on attractions like the Fantasyland Dark Rides, Pirates, and The Haunted Mansion. Though I can't really say much for how much Disney Animation affected the Florida parks, outside of the brief stint their Animation Studios was held in Hollywood Studios. If you need something to ripoff inspire, then I recommend listening to Touring Plan's Disney Dish Podcast, where Len Testa and Jim Hill will discuss various periods/rides/shows/etc from Disneyland/World history. Jim is incredibly informative, and while reverent he can be quite critical to Disney when it matters.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Just got home from a week at DisneyWorld. First time staying at one the high end resorts, The Contemporary. After visiting the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian, I can honestly say I regret it. Wish now we had stayed at Polynesian. My wife did all of the planning but I was the hard head that insisted on Contemporary because "it has a train going thru the middle of the building, I want that!" . Past two trips Splash Mountain was down for maintenance so we FINALLY got to ride that and we all loved it. Did the Mickey's Extra Special Christmas Party one night. This past week seemed to me to be much more crowded than we were lead to believe it would be. This will probably be the last time we hit DW again for at least 5 years so I can't wait to see what they do with Pandora in AK and the Star Wars stuff in HS. Also got to watch WISHES from the deck on California Grill so that was awesome.

Welp, that's my story

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What did you have at California Grill? It's my favorite place on property. We're trying Tiffins Monday for my wife's birthday, super excited for that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I know that I always check out many videos about Disney Parks history. I know a number of the early animators, including a few of The Nine Old Men, worked in Disneyland on attractions like the Fantasyland Dark Rides, Pirates, and The Haunted Mansion. Though I can't really say much for how much Disney Animation affected the Florida parks, outside of the brief stint their Animation Studios was held in Hollywood Studios. If you need something to ripoff inspire, then I recommend listening to Touring Plan's Disney Dish Podcast, where Len Testa and Jim Hill will discuss various periods/rides/shows/etc from Disneyland/World history. Jim is incredibly informative, and while reverent he can be quite critical to Disney when it matters.

Ooh thanks. There are so few good Disney podcasts.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

i was listening to a disney podcast that isn't dolewhipped (SSORRY BRAKSGIRL) and they said staying on property is worth it alone for the express passes so :shrug:

HOW COULD YOU? :cry:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Zero One posted:

Some (maybe most now?) resort bus stops have the time to next bus displayed.

Which is really nice, but i would love to be able to check the arrival/departure times from my phone - if you're leaving a park/resort and wanting to know when the bus is coming before you get to the stop, it's nice to know if you need to rush or leisurely walk to the stop.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Braksgirl posted:

HOW COULD YOU? :cry:

Speaking of, your recent post on the Disneyland Dream Suite was awesome by the way.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Savage Bliss posted:

Just got home from a week at DisneyWorld. First time staying at one the high end resorts, The Contemporary. After visiting the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian, I can honestly say I regret it. Wish now we had stayed at Polynesian. My wife did all of the planning but I was the hard head that insisted on Contemporary because "it has a train going thru the middle of the building, I want that!" . Past two trips Splash Mountain was down for maintenance so we FINALLY got to ride that and we all loved it. Did the Mickey's Extra Special Christmas Party one night. This past week seemed to me to be much more crowded than we were lead to believe it would be. This will probably be the last time we hit DW again for at least 5 years so I can't wait to see what they do with Pandora in AK and the Star Wars stuff in HS. Also got to watch WISHES from the deck on California Grill so that was awesome.

Welp, that's my story

If you like Splash, do not go to WDW in Jan. It's almost always down then for refurbs.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Anya posted:

Which is really nice, but i would love to be able to check the arrival/departure times from my phone - if you're leaving a park/resort and wanting to know when the bus is coming before you get to the stop, it's nice to know if you need to rush or leisurely walk to the stop.

That ain't every gonna happen anytime soon. The times reported at the bus stops are totally arbitrary. The system is really strange. This morning, we had three magic kingdom busses come within 2 minutes of each other.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What did you have at California Grill? It's my favorite place on property. We're trying Tiffins Monday for my wife's birthday, super excited for that.

Filet of Beef. It was superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Jack Bandit posted:

Speaking of, your recent post on the Disneyland Dream Suite was awesome by the way.

Thank you! Touring that suite was one of the most magical moments of my life.