Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know what you are all going on about having delays, I just walked into the store and bought it

Finally, the best final fantasy is here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
My wife and I are considering finally getting a PS4 for this game. Should we bite the bullet and get the new PS4 pro or can we get by saving $150 on a regular PS4?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ComposerGuy posted:

My wife and I are considering finally getting a PS4 for this game. Should we bite the bullet and get the new PS4 pro or can we get by saving $150 on a regular PS4?

Do you have 150 to spare?

Do you have a 4k TV.

Do you plan to play any game other than FFXV on it.

I mean if you are literally just buying a FFXV box then no.

But if you can spare the 150 on this purchase and/or have a 4k tv(with HDR) might as well.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
TV is 1080p

We *have* the $150, just tend towards frugality.

Probably won't be just a FF15 box but it's definitely the major reason for the purchase.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ComposerGuy posted:

TV is 1080p

We *have* the $150, just tend towards frugality.

Probably won't be just a FF15 box but it's definitely the major reason for the purchase.

If you plan on a collection and TV upgrade, consider the pro.

I do all my gaming on PC, so I got the standard PS4 (along with Uncharted and Last of Us, but it's mostly a Final Fantasy box) and it's great. Game's plenty pretty, the food looks insane, textures are sharp.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Evne hardcore FF fans think it's a bad movie. Fun, but bad.

It's fine

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like Kingsglaive is not high art, but about my only complaints is Sean Bean and Lena Headey kinda suck, Libertus' actor suck and it takes a while for stuff to start happening, but it is a decent enough movie that has really good action sequences and CG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How is it compared to Advent Children?

Maybe they have been compared and I haven't been paying attention but seems natural to have them go head-to-head.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can confirm there is in fact a lot of explosions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe they have been compared and I haven't been paying attention but seems natural to have them go head-to-head.

It's definitely better because the boring parts are at least decent World building here and there and the fanservice it goes for in the forms of like Diamond Weapon are cool as poo poo whereas AC takes forever to get to the good stuff and even its fanservice kinda sucks. Like who actually likes the lovely Sephiroth Babies and Bahamit SIN? At least Diamond Weapon vs Knights of the Round is a cool rear end visual even if it can be kinda clusterfucky.

That being said KG does the Obi-Wan death and it feels incredibly hamfisted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Terper posted:

I can confirm there is in fact a lot of explosions.

How close to the maximum possible amount of explosions is it?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

In Training posted:

I think Spirits Within gets an unfair rap

I liked Spirits Within

:shrug:

Captain Baal posted:

Like Kingsglaive is not high art, but about my only complaints is Sean Bean and Lena Headey kinda suck, Libertus' actor suck and it takes a while for stuff to start happening, but it is a decent enough movie that has really good action sequences and CG.

I thought Sean Bean's voice was a mismatch for the character but his delivery was ok

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Spirits Within was neat but had some uncanny valley issues and the cost of production was insane to produce something that could best be described as "kind of cool."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I liked Spirits Within

:shrug:

I thought Sean Bean's voice was a mismatch for the character but his delivery was ok

It might be that, Regis really does not give off the Sean Bean vibe and it really screams them trying to get a known actor to draw more attention to it. Aaron Paul and Lena Headey are def the same thing, but Paul sounded pretty good for the most part.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, Kingsglaive is definitely better than AC, but that's a real low bar. It's not a great movie by any metric, but it's largely coherent. I do feel like not watching it really leaves a lot on the table if you're going to play the game though. A lot of really important poo poo happens offscreen or in passing that is straight up addressed in the film. It's a two-hour cutscene opener for FFXV, basically.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frankly I was surprised the actual politicking and maneuvering and such in the film came across as clearly as it did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Levantine posted:

Yeah, Kingsglaive is definitely better than AC, but that's a real low bar. It's not a great movie by any metric, but it's largely coherent. I do feel like not watching it really leaves a lot on the table if you're going to play the game though. A lot of really important poo poo happens offscreen or in passing that is straight up addressed in the film. It's a two-hour cutscene opener for FFXV, basically.
I don't know that it matters all that much, because Noctis doesn't know any of it. You can play the game just fine from the main character's perspective without watching it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of Spirits Within, I want a numbered Final Fantasy set in space. It would be a nice change from everything they've done so far with the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You got FF8, what more do you want?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

it isn't final fantasy in space until someone actually dies in space, which they should've done

(with squall, the rest of the game is just zell kickin it in the ragnarok's lounge)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sakurazuka posted:

Spirits Within + Mass Effect but good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

it isn't final fantasy in space until someone actually dies in space, which they should've done

(with squall, the rest of the game is just zell kickin it in the ragnarok's lounge)

Well, Golbez can die on the moon in TAY.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know that it matters all that much, because Noctis doesn't know any of it. You can play the game just fine from the main character's perspective without watching it.

That's true, but its not like Final Fantasy has ever been married to the main character PoV from a storytelling perspective. Every game has lengthy scenes of stuff the main characters couldn't possibly know. It's not strictly necessary to know the KG stuff, but it fleshes out something that's clearly there.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Levantine posted:

Every game has lengthy scenes of stuff the main characters couldn't possibly know.

Including XV, for the record. There's an example right after the first real boss.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Loqi is my fav FF character

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Trip report: FF15 is really good and fuckin rules

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Sorry, the correct answer was worst in the series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sea Sponge Run posted:

:yeah:

I've only gotten 30 minutes with it. Real tempted to take a sick day tomorrow.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i am pleased to announce that i was correct and ffxv loving rules

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Any chance FFXV will come to PC? I don't want to buy a whole system for one game, especially one that's part of the worst series in video gaming history.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

WarMECH posted:

Any chance FFXV will come to PC? I don't want to buy a whole system for one game, especially one that's part of the worst series in video gaming history.

Or you can buy a PS4 because there are ton of good PS4 games.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The PS4 has been out for like 3 years now and no games have interested me enough to want to purchase the system. That hasn't changed with the release of XV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WarMECH posted:

Chance? Yes. Anytime soon? Probably not.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Worth noting that every major Final Fantasy except I, II, XI, and XII are on Steam right now so XV is almost a sure bet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Too Shy Guy posted:

Worth noting that every major Final Fantasy except I, II, XI, and XII are on Steam right now so XV is almost a sure bet.
Oh man, if we get Zodiac Age on Steam.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe in a year or two, sure. But by then everyone will be talking about XVI and how much it'll suck when it comes out in 2020.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
XI is actually on Steam and probably that XII remaster will come as well. Would like to see the PSP versions of I and II someday.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krad posted:

Maybe in a year or two, sure. But by then everyone will be talking about XVI and how much it'll suck when it comes out in 2020.
Why would I NOT want to talk about the best Final Fantasy?

(Mileage may vary. I know 12 is polarizing.)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I, II and Tactics need to come to Steam. I imagine XII: Zodiac Age will come as well.

XV is something they do want to bring to PC but apparently it'll be more a directors cut than anything, featuring stuff that was cut because consoles couldn't handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You can play XV on pc through the wonders of remote play. I will lease you use of my ps4 pro via PC remote play at a rate of $15/hour on the condition you only use it for XV and you dont overwrite my save file