Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

UHD posted:

bernie will be 79 in 2020 but he sometimes tweets things people in the thread like to hear

I like the guy and everything but he's not the future of the party

He's the future in that whoever the Dems run in 2020/2024(hope hes around) will want his blessing, and not necessarily only Obama's crew of stranded island dwellers. I'm not holding my breath he will run, but needs to start helping the messaging along if people are going to bother paying attention to him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lord of Pie posted:

aaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

the children of the rich are definitely the future of the democratic party, cuz they're the only ones with enough time and money on their hands to get involved at that level

nopants
May 29, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

CNN told me it was illegal for me to possess Wikileaks information and I should rely on the media to go through it for me and tell me how to feel about it and that put my mind at ease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcATG9Qy_A

Only Viacom, Time Warner, and News Corporations can be trusted to deliver us the news.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LGD posted:

And if you're genuinely concerned about the worst case effects of things like voter ID why are you choosing to ignore the very, very real worst-case disenfranchisement that single-day, mandatory in-person voting creates every single election cycle?

I guess you're forgetting that this whole discussion started when I posted that I thought that I didn't like mail voting except in limited circumstances but that early voting should be easy and available in lots of places?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Legit think this is more humiliating for her than if she stuck with Fox.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

But you're assuming that vote-by-mail means "everyone shows off their ballots" and that there is additional pressure to vote the same way your spouse does to avoid conflict. People don't tend to actually show off their ballots, and lying about/not discussing who you plan to vote for operates in exactly the same way with vote-by-mail that it does with a traditional ballot. I live in a state that has universal vote-by-mail and I genuinely don't think anyone has any more idea about what their spouses voted for than they do in any other state. And poo poo, it's not even like the worst case scenarios are any different here- why isn't my ultra-controlling spouse, employer, or politically active friends group simply asking for/having an expectation of sharing cell-phone pictures of my in-person ballot?

And if you're genuinely concerned about the worst case effects of things like voter ID why are you choosing to ignore the very, very real worst-case disenfranchisement that single-day, mandatory in-person voting creates every single election cycle?

It doesn't matter whether or not the coercion is ever actually applied (it does happen, though)

You can't provide a legal avenue for the possibility, can you?

I'm also completely 💯 for the ban on pics of ballots too 💯👌💯👌💯

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

It doesn't matter whether or not the coercion is ever actually applied (it does happen, though)

If your goal is to eliminate any possible avenue for abuse of a system (any system of any type that ever has been or will be devised) then I have some bad news.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

If your goal is to eliminate any possible avenue for abuse of a system (any system of any type that ever has been or will be devised) then I have some bad news.

deliver it, lmao

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I guess you're forgetting that this whole discussion started when I posted that I thought that I didn't like mail voting except in limited circumstances but that early voting should be easy and available in lots of places?

Which would be fine and a good system, but you're still significantly exaggerating the deficiencies of vote-by-mail using the same arguments advanced by people who favor the current system.

In practice in-person voting has persistently proven far more open to manipulation/coercion than vote-by-mail systems, and that manipulation/coercion can be intelligently directed to favor certain political parties.

crazy cloud posted:

So I take it you're a big proponent of voter ID laws then?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

deliver it, lmao

It, uh, is completely and 100% possible to devise a system that can't ever be abused and you should definitely pour all your time and energy into doing so.

Yes.

There's no such thing as an abuse-proof system

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

docbeard posted:

It, uh, is completely and 100% possible to devise a system that can't ever be abused and you should definitely pour all your time and energy into doing so.

Yes.

There's no such thing as an abuse-proof system

what if

you had no system at all, only people-owned and operated collectives

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

She'd probably legit get more viewers than what CNN gets if she moved to the farm report on RFD TV instead lol

CNN bad

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

docbeard posted:

Ellison just posted what I think is a fantastic response to the Nation of Islam stuff:

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/804385495509794816
You're dead wrong, this response stinks. I mean, I like it, I agree with it — but CNN put out a hit piece on this man. They went low, and he went high. Bad move. Remember that when you're defending, you're losing.

A better strategy might have been to deflect, something with the central message of: "The biased media is attempting to smear me with 30-year-old lies about anti-semitism and homophobia. Meanwhile, Donald Trump is stuffing his cabinet with Neo-Nazis!" Or better yet, some fresher, more controversial claim. I'll go as far as to say it wouldn't even have to be true! Say your political opponent was literally in the Klan, that gets your talking head on the news and now it's up for debate, implicitly legitimate, and they're the ones that have to defend themselves. Maybe that's not smart at all and could easily backfire, I'm not a politician or strategist. (Going all negative doesn't win elections even when your opponent is an actual, confirmed Klansman after all, otherwise David Duke would have never won any office.) But that's exactly the type of strategy that makes it essentially a truism that Republicans are better at politics.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really think obama is an atheist, it was a joke

Honestly dude, after this election idk what's a joke and what isn't

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Because CNN isn't race baiting enough already!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Honestly dude, after this election idk what's a joke and what isn't

You want a joke? I'll tell you a joke: America.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You want a joke? I'll tell you a joke: America.

I don't like this joke. It's not very funny.

:(

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chwoka posted:

You're dead wrong, this response stinks. I mean, I like it, I agree with it — but CNN put out a hit piece on this man. They went low, and he went high. Bad move. Remember that when you're defending, you're losing.

A better strategy might have been to deflect, something with the central message of: "The biased media is attempting to smear me with 30-year-old lies about anti-semitism and homophobia. Meanwhile, Donald Trump is stuffing his cabinet with Neo-Nazis!" Or better yet, some fresher, more controversial claim. I'll go as far as to say it wouldn't even have to be true! Say your political opponent was literally in the Klan, that gets your talking head on the news and now it's up for debate, implicitly legitimate, and they're the ones that have to defend themselves. Maybe that's not smart at all and could easily backfire, I'm not a politician or strategist. (Going all negative doesn't win elections even when your opponent is an actual, confirmed Klansman after all, otherwise David Duke would have never won any office.) But that's exactly the type of strategy that makes it essentially a truism that Republicans are better at politics.

yeah, it's a response that reassures his base's fears that his connections will be used against him, does nothing to prevent his connections being used against him, and the media sure as poo poo isnt going to report on it, unless he gives them a soundbite o go with it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Al! posted:

yeah, it's a response that reassures his base's fears that his connections will be used against him, does nothing to prevent his connections being used against him, and the media sure as poo poo isnt going to report on it, unless he gives them a soundbite o go with it

All I got from it was that he thinks we should do what Burr suggested in Hamilton, hahah.

Edit: I know that's not even the correct quote, it's just a really weird bit to exert from the larger article as the soundbite and that's what I thought of.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Dec 1, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't like this joke. It's not very funny.

:(

Gallows humor is all I have right now, sorry.

Ha psyche I'm not sorry at all!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

All I got from it was that he thinks we should do what Burr suggested in Hamilton, hahah.

Edit: I know that's not even the correct quote, it's just a really weird bit to exert from the larger article as the soundbite and that's what I thought of.

It's the standard suggestion of what you need to do when you have been accused of saying something offensive AFAICT, it's not a general political strategy on his part

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

GlyphGryph posted:

I have no idea who you're talking to nor about, and I've avoided Hamilton on principle because I don't need Epic Rap Broadway Of History in my life, so this post is 100% nonsense to me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chwoka posted:

I have no idea who you're talking to nor about, and I've avoided Hamilton on principle because I don't need Epic Rap Broadway Of History in my life, so this post is 100% nonsense to me

Aaron Burr is basically depicted as an empty-suit machine politician (a detail which eludes all the establishment Democrats who are obsessed with the show for some reason) and his go-to advice for an up-and-coming politician is "Talk less, smile more, don't let them know what you're against and what you're for."

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

Aaron Burr is basically depicted as an empty-suit machine politician (a detail which eludes all the establishment Democrats who are obsessed with the show for some reason) and his go-to advice for an up-and-coming politician is "Talk less, smile more, don't let them know what you're against and what you're for."

It's not even democrats, it's exclusively people that can afford $750 tickets, aka the vampiric 1%

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/804382522700349440

https://twitter.com/NickBaumann/status/804384735183175680

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/804382748974731264

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I still don't get why they don't run candidates for every seat. It is so loving stupid

Serf
May 5, 2011

Seems like Coates gets it

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/804400275872161792

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

U-DO Burger posted:

I still don't get why they don't run candidates for every seat. It is so loving stupid

they tried. it's not like they deliberately don't fill them, it's just that no one wanted to run

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

U-DO Burger posted:

the prevailing wisdom is that the post-2010 gerrymander has locked in so many partisan seats that in a lot of the heavily republican districts, it's not worth the money running a sacrificial lamb candidate

or nobody declares themselves as a sacrificial lamb democratic candidate in a district that seems hopeless.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheObamanista/status/804409919227076608

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Al! posted:

the children of the rich are definitely the future of the democratic party, cuz they're the only ones with enough time and money on their hands to get involved at that level

Hi everyone this is the correct answer

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I wonder if Coates feels any regret for not having gotten more involved in the primary instead of just saying he was going to vote for Bernie? I doubt he could've convinced the older black people that supported Clinton, but he did have a pretty high point of cultural influence in the latter part of 2015 and early half of 2016.

Also, I think a big reason people don't run for those uncontested contests is that running for political office is time and money consuming and, if you win, you're the one now obligated to do the hard work. If you're a working class person, you don't have the time or treasure to give up a job that pays the bills. Unfortunately, that's why much of the political class comes from the well to do and wealthy elite.

Optimus Subprime has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Dec 1, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He'd have probably been burned off like Cornel West effectively was if he had been more involved, if responses to those tweets are any indication.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

I wonder if Coates feels any regret for not having gotten more involved in the primary instead of just saying he was going to vote for Bernie? I doubt he could've convinced the older black people that supported Clinton, but he did have a pretty high point of cultural influence in the latter part of 2015 and early half of 2016.

I think he is smart enough to have seen the writing on that particular wall like the rest of us.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Coates is now relegated to living in France and writing comic books.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Harvar East

Serf
May 5, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

To be fair he is crushing it on Black Panther.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

oh no, what a terrible fate for a francophile nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

My favorite part was his paragraph

quote:

For the left to overcome its infighting and realize the promise of the rainbow coalition, it will need to be on guard against this particular brand of liberalism; because an identity politics that disdains class solidarity is one that will fail the most vulnerable members of the marginalized groups it claims to represent.

Followed by Dolce & Gabbana/ diamond jewelry ads

• Locked thread