Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I got the mage mashers, looks like someone else got the first and last ones

Yup I never stood a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

MMD3 posted:

seriously, I finished that frog catching quest, held the frog out as it looked at me, and thought... good thing Prompto is here to capture this moment. Prompto didn't loving capture the moment

You could, you know, use your PS4's share button

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a goon in Lestallum :stonk:

That's the fat guy in the meteor t-shirt right

JackDarko posted:

Can you really not obtain the lifesteal sword move that was in the Carbuncle demo? Did they remove directional skills from the game? My apologies if this has been asked before.

Yes you can and no they didn't

Vitamin P posted:

"In TYOOL 2016 we might catch some flak for not having any female party members."

"Better make the female guest character fight with a giant teddy bear then."

Seriously squenix, just give her a rapier or archery or something if you have to keep it femme, drat.

Another girl is a badass dragoon so whatever

Not every character needs to buck stereotypes

I like Cindy's bootyshortshaircut too

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Mordiceius posted:

Someone take these FFXV Roadtrip Replacement codes:

Gae Bolg (FFXIV) & Travel Pack:
#5N7-B6NP-CCLR
Where # is the FF with a protagonist from Balamb Garden.

Mage Mashers (FFIX) & Camera Kit:
#DE8-CQNR-F3FD
Where # is the first letter of Cid's wife's name from FFIX.

Blazefire Saber (FFXIII) & Gourmand Set:
AT9D-#QNQ-F7GK
Where # is the first letter from the final word in this catchy phrase: "Moms are ______!"

Took the Gae Bolg, thanks!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I started playing this last night. When can I get new clothes to further dress up my cute anime boy?

Edit: And how is everyone not bagging on Ignis 24/7? Man what a nerd. Oh you learned how to make a sandwich well my boy here learned to take a better picture.

Edit 2: I also preordered through Amazon and got a code but it was just some kind of chocobo thing?

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Goddamnit I keep missing the road trip code duplicates. Ironically usually because I'm playing FFXV. The one time I decide to pre-order from PSN rather than Amazon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the preorder and day one copy the same thing? I pre ordered mine on GameStop the day before launch, and got a day one copy. It came with the sephiroth sword code, but I read in here that preorders got more weapons.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I pre-ordered through Amazon the day before this game came out, how do I get in on this Road Trip thing?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Legs Benedict posted:

Is there a way to get the road trip stuff into my game if I already started the game and am in chapter 4? I redeemed the codes on PSN (they worked) but nothing changed in game

They're in your inventory with absolutely no fanfare. You're looking at the Gae Bolg, Mage Mage Mashers and Blazefire sword or blade in your weapon inventory. Then there's some fishing gear you probably have more of if you've done any fishing where you're at. Then a newer camera for Prompto and the fuel and lodgings coupon in your key items. The gourmand set is ingredients and the crispy cheese pizza added to Ignis' repertoire.

If none that is in there, double check in your PS4 Library to confirm you've actually downloaded the DLCs.

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the preorder and day one copy the same thing? I pre ordered mine on GameStop the day before launch, and got a day one copy. It came with the sephiroth sword code, but I read in here that preorders got more weapons.

Yes. The only thing extra you would have access to is the Masamune. It's a code on a piece of paper in the case.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 1, 2016

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Edit: And how is everyone not bagging on Ignis 24/7? Man what a nerd.

Don't talk about my Uber driver like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

How is it hosed? Its fine.

Haha, no it isn't.

Because the game is designed with the bulk of your experience coming from either quest rewards or big boss fights, they had to design the game around the curve of a regular EXP gain. However they give you multiple ways to increase your experience gain by 150% or more. The experience you gain from doing sidequests is so high that you end up trivially overleveled for everything just by playing the game and camping so Ignis can make sammiches. If you actually take the time to backtrack to places that give you boosted experience you're leveling way faster than that. The end result is that doing sidequest makes it very likely you're going to start oneshotting what should be fun or interesting bosses.

I mean they are literally adding some sort of level cap to the game in a future free DLC. They know this is an issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there a Cindy decal?

Asking for a friend.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So let's say I've waited these past 10 years for a great fast paced 3D third person action game in an open world fantasy environment, but I hate Kingdom Hearts-esque mellowdrama. Is FFXV the game for me?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is there a Cindy decal?

Asking for a friend.

It was a pre-release contest thing or something IIRC.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Bloodplay it again posted:

In true nerd fashion, I am grinding all of the tech abilities to their highest levels for the biggest crit chance. Last night after a few hours of playing, I was having some weird visual artifacts but only with Ignis's Mark tech. It almost looked like my GPU was overheating, but I couldn't reproduce it with any other abilities. It looked distinctly different from what Mark usually looks like. If it happens again I will try taking a picture with the console's share function. Has anyone else had similar issues or should I be worried about my PS4?

If it looks like parts of the screen with the special fx becomes filled with squares for a half-second, I've experienced the same thing reliably with Ignis' abilities but no one else's. Mark and the Elemental Imbue abilities both did it. I restarted my PS4 and I didn't notice them after that, but I didn't do a lot of combat after the reset either. I'm hoping it's something that a reset fixes and that SE has on their to-be-patched list, but I'm thankful it wasn't more distracting or detrimental to the game.

There's a lot I would think they touch up with patches over the next few months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

So let's say I've waited these past 10 years for a great fast paced 3D action game in an open world fantasy environment, but I hate Kingdom Hearts-esque mellowdrama. Is FFXV the game for me?

It's hard to say. It has a lot of melodrama but it's also largely about hanging out with your anime friends fishing with the melodrama being on the sidelines.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Whoever had the idea to make old FF soundtracks part of the car rides is a god drat genius. Also the picture taking.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to say. It has a lot of melodrama but it's also largely about hanging out with your anime friends fishing with the melodrama being on the sidelines.

I find your party and the mundane activities make for a great buffer for the typical Final Fantasy bombast. It keeps it grounded enough to not make you detached from the characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chapter 4 spoilers I really enjoyed the moment when I was like 'ugh Noctis stop being a whiny poo poo' and then Gladio goes 'Jesus Noctis stop loving whining all the time.'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They took the sweary old pissed off mechanic Cid from FF7 and made him mellow out with age. Dude's even eyeballing your spear early on like "heh they don't make 'em like they used to" as though he's internally trying to keep himself from calling Prompto Cloud and lapsing reminiscent about the time they roamed the land murdering legendary monsters before he tried nuking a meteor and they ended up having to kill a demigod who turned the sun into a supernova not once or twice but six times etc.

I bet if you brought the flying regalia to Hamerhead he'd start talking poo poo about how small and not-chrome it is.

(Yes I know the "main" games don't take place in a persistent universe but come on they're even talking about Niflheim and they have those wack-rear end mountains on the horizon from the Galdin Quay, all that's missing is Prompto getting major depression, whipping out a huge sword, and tooling around on a motorcycle)

LemonLimeTime posted:

So let's say I've waited these past 10 years for a great fast paced 3D third person action game in an open world fantasy environment, but I hate Kingdom Hearts-esque mellowdrama. Is FFXV the game for me?

Depends, how much of a thing is your hatred of melodrama

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 1, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You could, you know, use your PS4's share button

That's the fat guy in the meteor t-shirt right

But then what's the point of having a personal photographer to document your entire adventure?

I love how every single person in this game is fit, fashionable, attractive, and then there's neckbeard o'goonenstein the stereotypical overweight photography obsessed tourist. There's like no gray area whatsoever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Please Noctis I am too scared to drive at night oh god I pissed my pants don't tell cool strong man or picture taking twink.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

LawfulWaffle posted:

If it looks like parts of the screen with the special fx becomes filled with squares for a half-second, I've experienced the same thing reliably with Ignis' abilities but no one else's. Mark and the Elemental Imbue abilities both did it. I restarted my PS4 and I didn't notice them after that, but I didn't do a lot of combat after the reset either. I'm hoping it's something that a reset fixes and that SE has on their to-be-patched list, but I'm thankful it wasn't more distracting or detrimental to the game.

There's a lot I would think they touch up with patches over the next few months.

Makes me feel better, thanks. This game is definitely working the console hard but there were similarly-stressing fx from other characters that never wound up bugging out so I couldn't say for sure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Please Noctis I am too scared to drive at night oh god I pissed my pants don't tell cool strong man or picture taking twink.

Yes I know you can teleport and we use magic all the time and we have all sorts of crazy poo poo we can buy from this replicator in the glovebox but drat it the headlights really leave some glare in my glasses at night

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why do they even bother having a stamina bar for sprinting? I only accidentally found that if you hit sprint again right before your bar runs out, you do a weird dash that instantly replenishes all your stamina. Was that even mentioned anywhere?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

FAUXTON posted:

Depends, how much of a thing is your hatred of melodrama

I mostly just can't stand nonsensical storylines that Square sequels are notorious for. Or really any game post Chrono Trigger or FF7.

I guess FF12 and Tactics/Tactic Advance's stories were ok too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terrific Accident posted:

Why do they even bother having a stamina bar for sprinting? I only accidentally found that if you hit sprint again right before your bar runs out, you do a weird dash that instantly replenishes all your stamina. Was that even mentioned anywhere?

Nope. It's a secret mechanic and a dumb one.

"Hey, why don't we make it secret how you can make on-foot travel half as tedious!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LemonLimeTime posted:

I mostly just can't stand nonsensical storylines that Square sequels are notorious for. Or really any game post Chrono Trigger or FF7.

I guess FF12 and Tactics/Tactic Advance's stories were ok too.

9 and 10 have the best stories in the series though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

Oh hey level cap DLC so low level runners can use the rest mechanic without being forcibly leveled. That's neat for a very specific and strange definition of neat.

Level 1 NG+ runs are gonna be great

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yes I know you can teleport and we use magic all the time and we have all sorts of crazy poo poo we can buy from this replicator in the glovebox but drat it the headlights really leave some glare in my glasses at night

Ignis' warnings seem unfounded until your car comes to a screeching halt because there's an animate 30-ton suit of armor grown fat with malevolent spirits blocking the road.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Sakurazuka posted:

9 and 10 have the best stories in the series though.

this

this is loving heinous

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

this

this is loving heinous

I have to admit I genuinely don't know who would be like "Final Fantasy 4/5/6 have great stories but FF9? THAT has a terrible nonsensical story!"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nina posted:

I find your party and the mundane activities make for a great buffer for the typical Final Fantasy bombast. It keeps it grounded enough to not make you detached from the characters.

I do like that this is "No Fuckin Rush: the Videogame." Like sure some evil nation murdered my father and I'm gonna get to the bottom of all that eventually, but first I have to drive down the coast to pick up a tomato for this fry cook and maybe do a little fishing, camp out for the night and eat some eggs and check out these sweet pictures my bro took. We'll get to the rest of that heavy poo poo in a minute.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

this

this is loving heinous

10 is my favorite :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there a way to get the regalia back to it's original black color? I sure as hell can't find it in customization if so.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I genuinely don't know who would be like "Final Fantasy 4/5/6 have great stories but FF9? THAT has a terrible nonsensical story!"

That one guy that went nuts and kept calling Zidane literal Goku

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I do like that this is "No Fuckin Rush: the Videogame." Like sure some evil nation murdered my father and I'm gonna get to the bottom of all that eventually, but first I have to drive down the coast to pick up a tomato for this fry cook and maybe do a little fishing, camp out for the night and eat some eggs and check out these sweet pictures my bro took. We'll get to the rest of that heavy poo poo in a minute.

What are they going to do, re-murder him?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So should I just give up on my DLC Roadtrip code working at this point?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Takka's beans quest is so rad. "forget they're beans, pretend they're little meatballs"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

That one guy that went nuts and kept calling Zidane literal Goku

Okay, fair enough, I forgot about that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's an early game tip from me to you:

Somewhere around getting Gladiolus' Survival ability up to 3 or 4, he'll have a chance to pick up Rare Coins after battle. These can be sold for 1000 gil, but they can also be used in Elemancy to give your spells the ability to confer a large exp bonus when cast in battle. The potency of the effect (experience earned) can be increased with more coins, but I don't know what the break points are. I think with one coin I got 3k exp per use and with four coins I got 7k? It's hard to tell and I don't want to crack open my guide to see if it breaks it down. Long story short: Rare Coins can be used to get some emergency scratch or a huge experience boost early on. Pair it with the inn for 2x the exp and you can easily gain 5 or more levels and a wad of AP. I'm sure later coins give bigger bonuses, and that this boost will be outclassed by level 35 or so, but if you're looking for a quick way to gain levels there you go. I put mine on some Thunder spells and use it anytime a carrier drops some fresh MT meat.

In other coin news, don't sell your Oracle Ascension Commemoration coins or whatever they are called. Those are, apparently, important for the end game.

Regarding AP and how to spend it: I've seen some posts talking about how they don't know what to put AP into. The answer is the things that give you more AP. First thing I did was buy the first level of every Exploration ability (minus Snapshot and the Chocobo racing, although I grabbed them before too long). You want all the AP you can get, so AP while driving and for setting up camps, AP for cooking people's favorite meal, AP for riding a Chocobo (this can wait until Chapter 3), AP for catching a fish. You want it all. Then I focused on the Teamwork tree because those ability proc naturally. I didn't bother getting new Techniques until I had maxed out the starter ones, and I'm pretty sure Promoto's flare gun is useless so don't think of it as an upgrade like Gladio's or Ignis' second ability is. The HP stat node isn't immediately vital as you're only getting (your level x 2) HP, but giving everyone a second accessory slot (18 AP a piece, I think) can make a big difference. The main take away is to prioritize the nodes that help you get AP faster.

• Locked thread