Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like the gameplay kind of advanced in RE5 and 6 compared to 4 but the design of the levels you were running through with that gameplay got worse in 5 and unspeakably bad in 6

This is a really fair opinion. RE5 had basically straight upgrades to RE4's mechanics but the core level design was much worse, probably due to the forced co-op. RE6 was three different games stapled together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

re5 with a friend is some of the best co-op gameplay ever.

re5 alone is ok i guess

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

re5s existence is entirely validated by the final boss fight and everything that happens there

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die.

Or you... make new games that aren't iterations on a franchise. And go back to that franchise once people actually want more of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Or you... make new games that aren't iterations on a franchise. And go back to that franchise once people actually want more of it.

A game based on a recognizable IP will sell better than a game not based on a recognizable IP. That is sort of the point of IP in general.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People always want more of a franchise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

re5s existence is entirely validated by the final boss fight and everything that happens there

my pal and i played the whole game in a sitting and his battery was dying when we had to punch the rock and it wasn't working and we couldnt figure it out until we put new batteries in and it worked after like 10 failures and a lot of wasted time.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
RE5 is great but the tribal mask bosses are pretty embarrassing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

RE5 is great but the tribal mask bosses are pretty hilarious

RE5 is in incredibly poor taste and that contributes no small part to why I love it so much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

re5 with a friend is some of the best co-op gameplay ever.

re5 alone is ok i guess

I dunno, RE4 was a goddamned masterpiece and a solo horror thriller. RE5 was... I mean, in co-op it was fun, but it was just a straight shot run through. I couldn't tell you really anything about it at all. It was basically exactly how I feel about Gears of War.

And even a bad game can be fun with a good co-op buddy. (Although to me, this means devs should really make more co-op games!)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

For real, co-op games are the best as long as they aren't too punishing.

I'd love to play Goemon's Great Adventure with a friend, but that game is pretty difficult at times.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So, has anyone made a megathread for the Game Awards 2016: Dewtanfall 2 Extravaganza?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shantae is apparently out now for people who got the Beta-tier access. Haven't seen any impressions yet though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm legit sad I couldn't take off work today to watch the video game awards

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I will continue to not watch award shows ever but enjoy the gifs of ridiculous poo poo that happens.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Shantae is apparently out now for people who got the Beta-tier access. Haven't seen any impressions yet though.

amazon swears i get my physical copy on the 13th

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bloodychill posted:

I will continue to not watch award shows ever but enjoy the gifs of ridiculous poo poo that happens.
The show with Joel McHale was art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY

Too bad that they'll probably never allow for something like that ever again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

amazon swears i get my physical copy on the 13th

I think since they don't have a solid release date, they didn't change it when it got pushed back so while it's possible you'll get it then, it's more likely that the day if you'll get an e-mail saying the date has been pushed back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are the stupid game awards being streamed? I assume so.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ImpAtom posted:

Are the stupid game awards being streamed? I assume so.
You can watch it directly on Steam actually. There's even a sale going with The Witness being cheaper than on Black Friday for some reason and Dishonored 2 being 33% off already.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Another example of good formula changing: Zelda Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. They're both great and my favorite.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

You can watch it directly on Steam actually. There's even a sale going with The Witness being cheaper than on Black Friday for some reason and Dishonored 2 being 33% off already.

A convenient link for lazy people.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Palpek posted:

If Joel McHale could host every awards show complete with everyone staring into the teleprompter with a look of fear, I'd probably watch them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think since they don't have a solid release date, they didn't change it when it got pushed back so while it's possible you'll get it then, it's more likely that the day if you'll get an e-mail saying the date has been pushed back.

it was already pushed back from sept to nov to dec 13th. third time's the charm hopefully.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

:drat: I forgot just how cringey that was

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

People always want more of a franchise.

Speaking of which, Wasteland 3 got announced so I guess I'll actually try and go back and finish 2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

For real, co-op games are the best as long as they aren't too punishing.

I'd love to play Goemon's Great Adventure with a friend, but that game is pretty difficult at times.

The Goemon games loving ruled, in the pre-Pokemon era it was one of the first times I ever encountered anything that was so explicit about how Japanese it was. It took me forever to figure out how to leave the room you start Mystical Ninja in because of those sliding paper doors that look just like the wall.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Palpek posted:

Haha it's like when they brought Norm Macdonald to that lovely youtube awards show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuC_grsFb8

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the later awards aren't better because they're just cringeworthy without the actual comedy that McHale brought to the show.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Palpek posted:

If they tried it a second time I'm sure it would have worked. Joel is great at taking the piss and video games shouldn't be taken faux-seriously like they are.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stux posted:

actually that was operation winback

too bad about operation winback 2

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
its very funny to me that people in tyool 2016 still argue that the first few re games are good games.

no, they are one step above visual novel puzzlers, they barely have gameplay.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Klaus Kinski posted:

its very funny to me that people in tyool 2016 still argue that the first few re games are good games.

As insane as your name sake

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

a) vn puzzlers own b) what ar eu talking about lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i liked the video game awards when snoop lion was lifted in on a throne

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its no bangers and mash
thats for sure

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Is there a thread for The Game Awards so I can join in laughing at it with other goons

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There was a cool German word for when you get really embarrassed/shamed/guilt-ridden for the actions of someone else even (especially) if they have nothing to do with you. Can't remember what it was but I feel that reaallllllyyy keenly so I won't be watching any game award nonsense

(edit) fremdschämen, that's the fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

There was a cool German word for when you get really embarrassed/shamed/guilt-ridden for the actions of someone else even (especially) if they have nothing to do with you. Can't remember what it was but I feel that reaallllllyyy keenly so I won't be watching any game award nonsense

fremdschämen

• Locked thread