Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Is this clipping like a sample mystery that one can solve as is? Or just a sample of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's the newspaper for the first case of Mythos Tales. the way the game system works is you have a map, some newspapers (each case is set further in time so you'll have more newspapers to dig through), a directory, and a book of paragraphs. you interview suspects by looking them up in the directory and reading in the book. after a certain amount of locations, your time is up and you try to answer the questions of the case. it's a system that was used for sherlock holmes consulting detective and it works really well both solitaire and as a group, since you're all trying to figure out the case. zero replay value obviously, (though Mythos Tales adds some stuff that previous cases affect in future ones, so maybe you might play through it a second time but no more than that certainly) but to solve all the cases, if you're really trying, will take you a while. the first two cases were put out as a free print and play in a more primitive version a couple years ago under the name Arkham Investigator, so you can check that out to see if you'd like it, but to be honest it loses something when you don't have the big map and all the feelies around.

if you can get the reprint of SHCD that got put out a few years ago, that's a loving fantastic game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the first case is about the stabbing in uptown park, which is on that newspaper, but other entries may be related to future cases or simply be red herrings. so you'll have a bunch of information that increases over the course of your investigations. both games are great!

there's an old third game in this system called GUMSHOW but it's out of print and goes for hundreds of dollars so i've never seen a copy of it :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just bought SHCD a week or two ago to play on date night. I am veeeerry excited to try it out.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to play one that's been on my list for a long time last night, King Chocolate.

Played it 2p with my gf and we both really enjoyed it, despite (again) the two-player experience not lending itself perfectly to the game. In short, KC is a game about laying tiles of varying numbers/colours that reflect different stages of cacao growth and moving your chocolate cubes through these stages taking profit every time you don't send cubes off of a group of tiles that your opponent controls with one of their four meeples. BUT, since everyone only gets four meeples and there are six stages to the production, this means that you cannot control every aspect of the chain yourself which results in you having to either A) move your meeple to other groups on the production chain if they aren't already taken by others leaving them vulnerable or B) send them to an opponent that can now take profit off them when they're moved. And did I mention that no one "owns" any of the chocolate cubes and that anyone can move any group? And that every time cubes are moved you get money for each one?

At first we were both spinning our wheels figuring out the strategy and tricks but by the end we were rocking. This is a really cute little game that is deceptively simple and has a lot of opportunities for strategy depending on which angle you want to take. Because you're forced to lay a tile every turn and are even punished at the end of the game for not having any in your stock, you're balancing grabbing new tiles, generating fresh cacao from the lowest numbers in the production line, protecting your own lines of production, moving cubes around, and not letting your opponents take advantage of your hard work... all with only three action points a turn.

I look forward to trying this with more people.

And my copy of 1830 showed up. Time to find some poker chips and :rms:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can anyone recommend any solo play board games that have a pretty small real estate space? Looking for games I can play in a cubicle and I already have Onirim

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can anyone recommend any solo play board games that have a pretty small real estate space? Looking for games I can play in a cubicle and I already have Onirim

Friday fits that requirement pretty well.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

it's a system that was used for sherlock holmes consulting detective and it works really well both solitaire and as a group, since you're all trying to figure out the case

I had really high hopes for Mythos Tales, but we didn't end up finishing it. The writing just really isn't very good - like, there is usually not an interesting mystery to solve, just random detail harvesting - and the "gamey" bits are terrible (and are often best to just ignore). There was reason to hope - they had some great ideas and it's a fun setting/base system - but in the end I really can't recommend it. We'll try to sell our KS copy before it becomes too common here.

Sherlock Holmes has much better writing overall (though the new edition screws up a few of the cases, and a few are just kind of drab). If you haven't played it, get SH first. If you really, really liked SH such that you want more, and you like the Lovecraft setting, then you could try Mythos Tales - but don't get your hopes up too high. Our group, that generally liked SH, all ended up frustrated with MT and unwilling to play more (despite us doing just fine on the score, it just wasn't satisfying).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah SHCD is better to be sure, but i still like MT because i like investigating and stuff. but if you haven't played a game like that then get a copy of sherlock post-haste because it is super good and rad!

e: I hope this inspires more people to do oldschool gamebook and paragraph games though, because I love them. please reprint gumshoe :(

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 1, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to play one that's been on my list for a long time last night, King Chocolate.

Played it 2p with my gf and we both really enjoyed it, despite (again) the two-player experience not lending itself perfectly to the game. In short, KC is a game about laying tiles of varying numbers/colours that reflect different stages of cacao growth and moving your chocolate cubes through these stages taking profit every time you don't send cubes off of a group of tiles that your opponent controls with one of their four meeples. BUT, since everyone only gets four meeples and there are six stages to the production, this means that you cannot control every aspect of the chain yourself which results in you having to either A) move your meeple to other groups on the production chain if they aren't already taken by others leaving them vulnerable or B) send them to an opponent that can now take profit off them when they're moved. And did I mention that no one "owns" any of the chocolate cubes and that anyone can move any group? And that every time cubes are moved you get money for each one?

At first we were both spinning our wheels figuring out the strategy and tricks but by the end we were rocking. This is a really cute little game that is deceptively simple and has a lot of opportunities for strategy depending on which angle you want to take. Because you're forced to lay a tile every turn and are even punished at the end of the game for not having any in your stock, you're balancing grabbing new tiles, generating fresh cacao from the lowest numbers in the production line, protecting your own lines of production, moving cubes around, and not letting your opponents take advantage of your hard work... all with only three action points a turn.

I look forward to trying this with more people.

I will attest that King Chocolate is very solid when played at capacity. It's super dry, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

the nerdy cousin of sherlock CD is out and it's pretty good

No one living in 1929 is going to be concerned about obesity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rutibex posted:

that's a real ad though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

Where the hell do you get this poo poo?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm a bit new to board games (and this thread for that matter). I'd really love to buy Scythe, but it's apparently sold out absolutely everywhere and the next printing might not arrive in time for Christmas, which is what I was hoping to grab it for. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've called every store in my region (Boston) and they all say "sold out, no idea when we're getting more, likely not till after xmas". If I can't get Scythe, what's the next best thing (would love to try Seafall but don't have a reliable group of friends to play it with)?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Where the hell do you get this poo poo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies is a good solo game and, as the title suggests, tiny. A bit larger but still manageable is Gates of Lo Yang.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Is A Fest For Odin good at two players? What are the chances I can get it for a reasonable price in the next three months?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

Is A Fest For Odin good at two players? What are the chances I can get it for a reasonable price in the next three months?

Up until recently BGG had it rated as best with 2.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jewmanji posted:

I'm a bit new to board games (and this thread for that matter). I'd really love to buy Scythe, but it's apparently sold out absolutely everywhere and the next printing might not arrive in time for Christmas, which is what I was hoping to grab it for. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've called every store in my region (Boston) and they all say "sold out, no idea when we're getting more, likely not till after xmas". If I can't get Scythe, what's the next best thing (would love to try Seafall but don't have a reliable group of friends to play it with)?

Viticulture is by the same guys and has a similar feel to it but isn't a 4x by any stretch of the imagination. If you wanted to try Kemet you might be into that. Great miniatures, tech trees of sorts, and constant murder death kill.

Because you're new I wouldn't recommend jumping into any of the bigger ones out there like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse.

I'm sure others with more knowledge of the genres would be able to think up similar kinds of games though.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

What about scythe made you want to get it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't get Seafall. It's bad.

It's so bad that despite the subconscious desire for me to justify my own purchases I'm still warning against it to protect others.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

FulsomFrank posted:

Viticulture is by the same guys and has a similar feel to it but isn't a 4x by any stretch of the imagination. If you wanted to try Kemet you might be into that. Great miniatures, tech trees of sorts, and constant murder death kill.

Because you're new I wouldn't recommend jumping into any of the bigger ones out there like Twilight Imperium or Eclipse.

I'm sure others with more knowledge of the genres would be able to think up similar kinds of games though.

Kemet is the first thing that came to mind to me as well.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I just looked into Viticulture, and this looks like it will be a good fit for my partner and I. I'm generally not super interested in resource-gathering games that feel like the first half of every RTS I've ever played (is that what's meant by "4x"?), but this seems like a fun one to uncork a bottle of wine for.

discount cathouse posted:

What about scythe made you want to get it?

To be frank it was really just a few hyperbolic reviews, the concept of the game (or however you describe the "narrative layer" that sits on top of the basic game mechanics), and the artwork which gave me searing nostalgia for playing MechWarrior with my brother. And now the constrained supply is somehow increasing my own individual demand for the game to sort of silly levels ($120 on eBay? Maybe!) I've only scraped the surface when it comes to these newer European style games and don't care for most of them (Catan and Carcassone stand out as games I don't have a particular affinity for). I've spent a fair bit of time playing Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, etc., and none of them seem to grab me except Pandemic, which seems to sit sort of alone in its genre/style of play. I just bought Pandemic Legacy (hence the curiosity in Seafall), but it may stay shrink wrapped for a while since all of my board game friends all have kids now.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 1, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It sounds like you may be attracted to the theme itself and potentially how that theme is conveyed in the gameplay rather than just being pasted on as flavor text. If that's the case, Viticulture could really scratch that itch for you. The theme in Viticulture really feels integral to the gameplay.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I thought you had done history work in school - like, wasn't your boardgame about the Irish potato famine or something? Surely you realize that June of 1929 was hardly a time of universal starvation in America?

But yeah, actually, one good thing about Mythos Tales is that they have some fun with the real historical setting of 1929 Massachussets.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I just looked into Viticulture, and this looks like it will be a good fit for my partner and I. I'm generally not super interested in resource-gathering games that feel like the first half of every RTS I've ever played (is that what's meant by "4x"?), but this seems like a fun one to uncork a bottle of wine for.

To be frank it was really just a few hyperbolic reviews, the concept of the game (or however you describe the "narrative layer" that sits on top of the basic game mechanics), and the artwork which gave me searing nostalgia for playing MechWarrior with my brother. And now the constrained supply is somehow increasing my own individual demand for the game to sort of silly levels ($120 on eBay? Maybe!) I've only scraped the surface when it comes to these newer European style games and don't care for most of them (Catan and Carcassone stand out as games I don't have a particular affinity for). I've spent a fair bit of time playing Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, etc., and none of them seem to grab me except Pandemic, which seems to sit sort of alone in its genre/style of play. I just bought Pandemic Legacy (hence the curiosity in Seafall), but it may stay shrink wrapped for a while since all of my board game friends all have kids now.

4x are games like the computer game Civilization or Master of Orion etc. Exlpore a map Exploit resources Expand your empire Exterminate other players. In board game form they take very long and are complicated and fiddly, but some people like that. wouldn't recommend to a noobie.

If you want the violent Power fantasy of a RTS video game without the bloat and bad game mechanics that come with most board games of this style, look at Kemet or Blood Rage, the latter of which i haven't played but many people like it.

If you want something a little more simple and quick, check out Small World.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scythe and Kemet are very different, in that Scythe seems to be about threatening combat in your resource grab, while Kemet is about murdering people for control points. I honestly felt that Scythe was more similar to Terra Mystica than anything else, in that interaction is very indirect while futzing about with a resource system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That's a real ad from the 20s you dumbass

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So how viable is playing a co-op mode in Mage Knight without a dummy player? One of my players mentioned last time that he hates having a time limit so i figured i'd ask here if there is any way possible to do that? I know the answer is to just play a competitive mode but competitive Mage Knight is just bleh. Especially considering how so much more powerful one player usually ends up being.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

...was a nonissue in June 1929, since it wouldn't kick off for several more months (and wouldn't really set in for a couple more years--it took most people a while to realize that this was different than previous market crashes.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

That's a real ad from the 20s you dumbass

:rolleyes:
As If I am going to listen to someone named "corn in the bible" about historical accuracy. Corn was invented by native Americans doofus.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So how viable is playing a co-op mode in Mage Knight without a dummy player? One of my players mentioned last time that he hates having a time limit so i figured i'd ask here if there is any way possible to do that? I know the answer is to just play a competitive mode but competitive Mage Knight is just bleh. Especially considering how so much more powerful one player usually ends up being.

Perfectly viable, just take the dummy out. The game will definitely be slightly easier without a time limit, but as long as you don't abuse that fact (i.e. by standing in place for 5+ turns while you carefully sculpt a perfect hand or other such nonsense) it should still hold up well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

As If I am going to listen to someone named "corn in the bible" about historical accuracy. Corn was invented by native Americans doofus.

uh haven't you read the book of mormon

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jewmanji posted:

If you want something Scythe-a-like, Hyperborea can be found pretty cheaply and for money is actually a more interesting design. Doesn't have the blingyness, and it is different in a few ways, so owning both isn't out of the question.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

The word "corn" existed in a pre-maize context. It's an anglo-Saxon word meaning "grain" or "kernel" or "small hard thing".

Shut up idiot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GrandpaPants posted:

Scythe and Kemet are very different, in that Scythe seems to be about threatening combat in your resource grab, while Kemet is about murdering people for control points. I honestly felt that Scythe was more similar to Terra Mystica than anything else, in that interaction is very indirect while futzing about with a resource system.

I agree that TM is the closest cousin to Scythe. More to that point, the player boards giving you more bonuses as you deploy workers/pieces is directly from TM as well.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

We quit using the dummy after a few games. We still play co-op, we just kind of try to "play honest". We don't have some formal rule that prevents us from camping out and never spending cards or whatever to grind out some advantage, we just try to play like we did before, and it works fine. Sometimes one player will be like - hey, can I squeeze one more turn in? and you'll try to accommodate that by not finishing your deck yet. Is it kind of cheating? Sure, but also.. it's fine (for us anyway). I'm sure there's people out there who would miss the extra strategy of taking X upgrade over Y because the Dummy player is Gorlax with Green crystals, and so blah blah blah blah, but for us it was just better skipping the whole thing.

Makes the game less fiddly, you spend less time trying to estimate remaining turns, and generally it's the same but better.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
If there's no time limit though, then how do you lose?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I find it's easier to just use an app for the dummy player since that's basically all it is anyways. A complicated setup for an easy to use time limit.

I mean boardgames are however you want to play them but a time limit in Mageknight adds some great stress to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Aggro posted:

If there's no time limit though, then how do you lose?

The game is limited to 6 rounds. So there's technically still a time limit, when someone's cards run out on the 6th round.