Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or buy an older version that doesn't have a subscription fee.

LR6 is $150 on ebay, LR5 is $125, LR4 is $55, and LR3 is $45.

I think the old versions may not get updated for new raw formats, not sure. But if it can process your camera's output the old versions are 99% as effective as the CC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
FWIW Lightroom/Photoshop packages always go on sale, B&H has it now for $89/year

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ExecuDork posted:

This is going to provoke howls of laughter, but Corel Aftershot is an alternative to Lightroom and the Adobe Subscription Business Model.

:eyepop: corel still exists??? nah but really, thanks for the actual helpful reply. i might do the trial for lightroom (and for this knockoff) to see if they are in any way comparable

and to the people who just keep dogpiling the suggestions of "pay the $120" and "you don't care anyway, might as well shoot in jpg", this is not helpful advice, so kindly :fuckoff:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What's the best (or least-bad) free program for working with my RAW files? I've been using one called RawTherapee. It's worked fine for me, but I also only have small knowledge of a few ideas like saturation and contrast, so even the basic editing panel has many more sliders than I understand.
To stoke even more autistic rage in the thread, here's a video from Tony Northrup talking about RawTherapee (which I use, it's OK) and PhotoScape X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC-SAuYOzw

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That guy has the most punchable face.

The afro dude is a close second.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I imagine his once porcelain shower is tan with all the makeup.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

:eyepop: corel still exists??? nah but really, thanks for the actual helpful reply. i might do the trial for lightroom (and for this knockoff) to see if they are in any way comparable

and to the people who just keep dogpiling the suggestions of "pay the $120" and "you don't care anyway, might as well shoot in jpg", this is not helpful advice, so kindly :fuckoff:

Are you familiar with the concept of "false economy"?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The adobe stuff is good and is well worth the money, especially at the sale price of $89/yr for Lightroom and photoshop. Feel free to try out darktable and gimp (or whatever other free thing) if you can't swing the purchase but they all kinda suck, which is the reason everyone is telling you to just buy the adobe stuff.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nmfree posted:

To stoke even more autistic rage in the thread, here's a video from Tony Northrup talking about RawTherapee (which I use, it's OK) and PhotoScape X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC-SAuYOzw

tony northrup is dreamy and rich

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no i will not

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What's the best (or least-bad) free program for working with my RAW files? I've been using one called RawTherapee. It's worked fine for me, but I also only have small knowledge of a few ideas like saturation and contrast, so even the basic editing panel has many more sliders than I understand.

You already got some replies suggesting lightroom. I would suggest lightroom as well.

I don't remember if rawtherapy have any function to catalogue and categorise photos. Besides working with your photos concerning making them level, adjusting exposure and what not, these things you can do pretty well with either rawtherapy and lightroom. Lightroom is also working well if you want to organize the photos that you already have taken (for instance with your mobile phone) and to continue to organize photos that you will take in the future. Add keywords amongst other things.

You can download a test version and try it out free for 30 days.

It have a subscription and the subscriptions tends to add up with a lot of other subscription based things, but I think that it is worth it for lightroom. (You may also find a copy to buy a single license.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

erephus posted:

Lightroom is also working well if you want to organize the photos that you already have taken (for instance with your mobile phone) and to continue to organize photos that you will take in the future. Add keywords amongst other things.

yeah, well, this means close to nothing to me, because i am not a caveman who thinks organizing computer files is some kind of dark magic. if this is one of the major selling points of lightroom, well, that makes sense in terms of the :spergin: praise it apparently has earned here, but for those of us who put our cyberpants on by ourselves it is merely a cute affectation that we need not bother ourselves with

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, well, this means close to nothing to me, because i am not a caveman who thinks organizing computer files is some kind of dark magic. if this is one of the major selling points of lightroom, well, that makes sense in terms of the :spergin: praise it apparently has earned here, but for those of us who put our cyberpants on by ourselves it is merely a cute affectation that we need not bother ourselves with

Good luck finding the cyberpants you wore 6 years ago on the exact day you took photos of a person who is now dead (killed by your bad posting, perhaps) and you want to find a picture to bring to their memorial service. If anybody here is :spergin: it's you for claiming you'd never possibly have any use for keywords.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

right because the only way to tag a computer file with keywords is through lightroom. it's not like this has been a solved problem for decades, and the solutions in question here are ones which i have profitably used for over half of my conscious life

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that I'm fine with buying something, even if I'd prefer free. However, I can't justify going for software that rents for $120 per year, for what is a very very casual part-time hobby of mine. And yes, I'm aware you can go monthly and there are free trials and sales and whatnot, so no need to start a derail about Adobe licensing.

I think you'll do just fine with RawTherapee. If you need more power, just get GIMP.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

right because the only way to tag a computer file with keywords is through lightroom. it's not like this has been a solved problem for decades, and the solutions in question here are ones which i have profitably used for over half of my conscious life

How many of those other solutions also ingest photos from memory cards, process your photos, and prepare photos for output?

Regardless of your strong feelings about keywords, the less expensive options also just aren't nearly as good at processing photos, which is, you know, the main thing you want to do. You said you're already using RawTherapee, so if that suits you why bother switching at all?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

How many of those other solutions also ingest photos from memory cards, process your photos, and prepare photos for output?

Regardless of your strong feelings about keywords, the less expensive options also just aren't nearly as good at processing photos, which is, you know, the main thing you want to do. You said you're already using RawTherapee, so if that suits you why bother switching at all?

i apologize for bumping this thread for nothing, but this post is too precious not to archive in all its confused stupidity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i apologize for bumping this thread for nothing, but this post is too precious not to archive in all its confused stupidity

good post

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Lightroom's cataloging is good and useful. Seems an odd thing to rage against.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They do still sell a non-cc Lightroom too. It just won't get any new features via updates (only bug fixes?) and it'll only be cheaper than CC sometime in to the second year. Either way CC is cheap compared to CaptureOne....

For something cheap but with a commercial organisation behind it, you could try Serif's Photo Affrinity. (mac £40. Windows free beta).
https://affinity.serif.com/

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I have the entire CC suite (thanks, job) but have almost completely shifted away from LR to Bridge + ACR + folders + just keeping way less of the poo poo I shoot, especially RAWs.

I definitely have some massive LR catalogues lying around from when I was doing wildlife documentary stuff for work, but these days I just don't see the point of keeping every in-focus, well-exposed photo of something. Unless it's something new, different, or good, in to the recycle bin it goes.

Not wanting to take working caches off my MacBook's SSD (they become much slower on external media in my experience), and the ballooning amount of space they were taking up was a major factor, too. But I've come to appreciate the simplicity. Not batch importing everything, and instead making my selects right off the card, then moving them to the correct folder in bridge, really feels more streamlined to me, even if it probably isn't, and I could work the same way with LR. But bridge seems faster to me.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 2, 2016

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lightroom is good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

go away

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

right because the only way to print an computer file with keywords is through lightroom. it's not like this has been a solved problem for decades, and the solutions in question here are ones which i have profitably used for over half of my conscious life

lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Not batch importing everything, and instead making my selects right off the card, then moving them to the correct folder in bridge, really feels more streamlined to me, even if it probably isn't, and I could work the same way with LR. But bridge seems faster to me.

:aaaaa:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Lutha Mahtin posted:

dont sign your posts

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You're right. It's just a way of forcing myself to delete more.

The slowdown is when I spend literally several hours a month later hitting the right arrow key and r over and over again.

That's just me tho.

E: LR loads poo poo so fast I can't help myself. I will load the preview and check it again, even if I know I'm going to delete it.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Judging from your reading comprehension :getout:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You're right. It's just a way of forcing myself to delete more.

The slowdown is when I spend literally several hours a month later hitting the right arrow key and r over and over again.

That's just me tho.

E: LR loads poo poo so fast I can't help myself. I will load the preview and check it again, even if I know I'm going to delete it.

What is right arrow key and r?
LR loads poo poo so fast? I thought you don't use it?
Wouldn't batch importing and then deleting give you faster browsing of the files? Do you know you could browse the files on the card and choose which ones to import with LR?
Do you realize that LR literally is bridge + ACR?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Sup bros, he's been doing photography for 5 months now so i'm preeeeeetty sure he knows what he's talking about, so y'all need to lay off him. If he's anything like me, then he's not actually interested in hearing your advice, he's merely seeking an opportunity to disagree and argue with the people whose initial intention was to help. You see, me and him, we're a cut above the rest of you loving losers. We don't need your loving advice. We ask it just so we can laugh at the precious nonsense you babble. Look- it's a simple question. What software out there performs a bunch of specific actions (that hold real value to people) at no cost to me? I don't want to hear your goddamn moronic suggestions. I want some facts. Tell me the software that you would use if you were in my situation. But not the software you think is best. Don't tell me that one... and don't you dare loving try to make a case for it either. I will have none of that. Remember, you and your childish opinions are beneath us.

Lutha Mahtin- keep sticking it to the man, you are loving awesome bruh.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That guy has the most punchable face.

The afro dude is a close second.

i never got the tony hate. his videos are pretty good

jared polin is human trash

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Welp, that got weird and angry quickly. I shouldn't be surprised, this is teh intarwub.

The derail into file-management was interesting (also angry and dumb). This looks to me like a case of perceived "solutions to problems I don't have". I don't use Photoshop (and I fire up GIMP about once a year) because it solves problems I almost never face. I don't have a need (and I don't have the skill) to edit images at that very high level. Lightroom solves some problems I do encounter regularly, which boil down into a soup of workflow that I've cobbled together through trial and error. I'm not sure that the description of LR on paper, as just a list of features, would have convinced me to jump into it back when I did; now I can't imagine doing photography without LR or something very much like it.

LR's catalogue-management system (and associated file tagging and star-rating and pick/reject and batch actions and so on) does look like a pointless redundancy over basic file-management systems built into a computer's operating system. But, because you can build an efficient workflow around how LR works - it makes a difference to me if I have to constantly switch from mouse to keyboard, or be constantly moving the mouse from one small click target to another, over and over again, for example - you can use LR to speed up the collection of tasks involved in doing anything with a group of photos that might number in the hundreds or thousands for a single session of work.

That ability to build and customize your own workflow that takes advantage of your own personal quirks and preferences, makes a program like LR surprisingly powerful. It's actually more than just a RAW-processor married to a file-management system with some basic editing tools bolted on.

There are at least 3 diffferent business models that apply to currently-available image-management software. The existence of free (open source) software is no threat to the existence of subscription-based or pay-once software, so I'm not sure why people get angry about the existence of business models other than the one they prefer for whatever reason.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Dren posted:

What is right arrow key and r?

Viewing imported photos one by one in LR, rejecting them one by one. Maybe it's 'x' to reject?

quote:

LR loads poo poo so fast? I thought you don't use it?
Wouldn't batch importing and then deleting give you faster browsing of the files?

Exactly. Convenience makes it too easy for me to keep too much poo poo. I'm a bad photographer. I don't need to put my bad photos in a fancy database.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The one thing I hate about lightroom is the crap performance for browsing. I use breeze browser to do my initial pruning simply because I can point it at a directory of 3000 raw files and get instant thumbnails and if I click on a picture I get an instant image shown. I still use it for pretty much everything else though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

LR's catalogue-management system (and associated file tagging and star-rating and pick/reject and batch actions and so on) does look like a pointless redundancy over basic file-management systems built into a computer's operating system. But, because you can build an efficient workflow around how LR works - it makes a difference to me if I have to constantly switch from mouse to keyboard, or be constantly moving the mouse from one small click target to another, over and over again, for example - you can use LR to speed up the collection of tasks involved in doing anything with a group of photos that might number in the hundreds or thousands for a single session of work.

Look, you don't understand. A power user like Lutha Mahtin already doesn't need to use a mouse :smug: What kind of pleb do you think he is?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

The one thing I hate about lightroom is the crap performance for browsing. I use breeze browser to do my initial pruning simply because I can point it at a directory of 3000 raw files and get instant thumbnails and if I click on a picture I get an instant image shown. I still use it for pretty much everything else though.

:agreed: ever since I got a 5dm4 it's been dragging in the library view.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

Look, you don't understand. A power user like Lutha Mahtin already doesn't need to use a mouse :smug: What kind of pleb do you think he is?

Lol at you amateurs editing your photos. I just tell everyone who looks at my photos what they are supposed to look like. If they can't use their imaginations then I don't want them anywhere near my art.

With this one, imagine that the background continues in the area where my thumb is. Also that the girl is in focus and I cropped it properly. Also there's a totally sick compositional element right on the line of thirds behind my thumb and it's lit so amazingly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

akadajet posted:

i never got the tony hate. his videos are pretty good

jared polin is human trash

His videos are fine. It's just his face that's hungering for a knuckle sandwich.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

akadajet posted:

:agreed: ever since I got a 5dm4 it's been dragging in the library view.

Crank up the size of the preview cache. The default is hilariously small, like 1gb or something. So if you're working on a large shoot it's constantly purging and creating previews.

Generating previews directly after the import helps too, so it's not churning on the photos while you're browsing. I think you can turn on preview generation during import but that slows down the actual file copying part so I do it manually later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

Crank up the size of the preview cache. The default is hilariously small, like 1gb or something. So if you're working on a large shoot it's constantly purging and creating previews.

Generating previews directly after the import helps too, so it's not churning on the photos while you're browsing. I think you can turn on preview generation during import but that slows down the actual file copying part so I do it manually later.

:wow:
that is night and day! thanks man!

• Locked thread