Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

canepazzo posted:

I still can't quite grasp institutions as a non-western country. So as I understand you grab the lowest cost province and spend 2k MPs or so and it force adopts in that province then starts spreading.

It worked fine for colonialism, then I got to printing press, got one province to adopt and...nothing. Neighbouring provinces take ages to spread, so much so that I am at like 5 or 6 provinces with printing press, 2.5k gold cost to adopt when global trade fires. What am I missing?

You need to have the institution present in at least 10% of your total development worth of your provinces, modified by autonomy. So if you have 1000 development, having it present in only one province with 30-40 development won't be enough. And the embrace cost scales with your total development as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

If you're going to Unify Islam, Religious Ideas are basically a must I think, for an extra missionary and extra conversion strength. Defender of the Faith gives you another one as well, and there's some policies too which can speed things along. You can also play as Najd, who I think has a +5 missionary strength bonus or something crazy.

Used to be +5%, now nerfed down to +2%. They also give +2 missionaries, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Used to be +5%, now nerfed down to +2%. They also give +2 missionaries, though.

And +missionaries is better than +missionary strength, especially for a Muslim nation who can get a bunch easily from being Pious. I mean, you're going to get Piety from attacking other religions, which feeds right back into missionary strength for converting the conquered provinces.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Okay, my Europe is looking weird. Especially so since there was no player interaction with Europe at all. After establishing dominance over my heartland of Mexico, I started colonizing enclaves around the Pacific. Never even looked at Europe. So that's why I was a bit shocked when I glanced over and saw France pushed down to its west coast under Brittany, with Austria having conquered the vast majority of French lands.

I thought I'd jump in and help finish them off because I'm always happy to help wipe France off the face of the Earth. And also I have a province on every continent except Europe so I figured snatching something from them could give me that achievement while I'm at it.

Before I declare on them, Britain guarantees them. So after a long and fruitless war I have nothing to show for my efforts and I'm stuck rebuilding. Is there any way I can get them to stop guaranteeing? I've got like 40 years left in this game and I want a satisfying finish.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sounds like the burgundian inheritance fired and austria crushed france

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

:spain: PU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jpparker55 posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions QuarkJets and co!

Funny that you mention it's a waste...so far I'd had my 1 missionary constantly converting provinces since the start of the game. Not the thing to do? (assuming I didn't start with that cheevo in mind).

Nah it's fine, Ottomans are just one of the few countries that can make a less unified religious situation work for them (good national ideas plus humanism for tolerance and then leverage the Dhimmi estate for some really good benefits). Converting has significant advantages still

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What happened to Hungary to make them not have a ruling dynasty? Also you should probably move your main trading city out of the Ethiopia node. I moved mine to Zanzibar but it looks like you could probably take Genoa.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Hungary decided to be all historical and got PU'd by the Habsburgs early on. My home node is Mombasa, my understanding is that you shouldn't collect in your home node. The Ethiopia and Alexandria collecting + Gulf of Aden steering minimizes the outflow to Europe because gently caress Europe

My main goal is Prester John + Africa domination, Spain was just a nice surprise. It'll take me until the late 1700s to annex them... time to change my focus to diplo :v:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Elman posted:

Only problem is I'm gonna have to buy Mare Nostrum to steal people's maps or I'll waste too much time walking through fog of war :saddowns:

I really don't like how map stealing works. I don't understand why I need a unit near the map region instead of a unit near the capital region of the nation I'm stealing from. There's situations where it's impossible to steal certain maps because they're of landlocked regions completely surrounded by nations that won't give you military access.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elotana posted:

Hungary decided to be all historical and got PU'd by the Habsburgs early on. My home node is Mombasa, my understanding is that you shouldn't collect in your home node. The Ethiopia and Alexandria collecting + Gulf of Aden steering minimizes the outflow to Europe because gently caress Europe
Collecting in your home node is preferable, because it's effectively a free merchant, and you get a trade power bonus there if none of your other merchants are collecting.

Ultimately your goal is to steer as much Trade Value as possible into a node where you have as much Trade Power as possible (ideally 100%), and then collect there. Best case scenario that's your home node.

But there's lots of edge cases.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You used to be able to rush the Caribbean and just $$colect$$ if you got all/most of the provinces. I don't know if that strategy still works.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TTBF posted:

I really don't like how map stealing works. I don't understand why I need a unit near the map region instead of a unit near the capital region of the nation I'm stealing from. There's situations where it's impossible to steal certain maps because they're of landlocked regions completely surrounded by nations that won't give you military access.

You don't need a unit near the map region, you just need to have fully explored an adjacent map region to the one that you want to steal. For instance you can snake your way into stealing an entire map of North America without ever setting foot there, but you can't steal the Lousiana map before stealing maps leading into there first

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I started an Ottoman game because...everyone was talking about it and it made me want to. I've gone through 5 heirs in the first 20 years, lmao. You get all these cool events and they kept offering me better heirs. Then my uber-heir died. I really like the Ottoman flavour text. There's a ton of it compared to most countries.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just started a Morocco game and while it is a bit early to claim success (1446) I did manage to kick Portugal out of North Africa and grab Madeira from them. Now it's just to wait for the triple Iberian curb stomp to come as they ally and PU themselves up and probably bring along France and Ottoman and whatnot. :toot:

edit
Hahahaha! Portugal went in to help England against France and Burgundy who just ran down through Castile and beat them up so badly they agreed to break all alliances and when Castile PU'd Aragon they became too big to rival me so they're neutral and open to army access.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 2, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I just started a Morocco game and while it is a bit early to claim success (1446) I did manage to kick Portugal out of North Africa and grab Madeira from them. Now it's just to wait for the triple Iberian curb stomp to come as they ally and PU themselves up and probably bring along France and Ottoman and whatnot. :toot:

edit
Hahahaha! Portugal went in to help England against France and Burgundy who just ran down through Castile and beat them up so badly they agreed to break all alliances and when Castile PU'd Aragon they became too big to rival me so they're neutral and open to army access.
What did you do to beat that up that quick and early?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What did you do to beat that up that quick and early?
I just declared war as soon as the game let me and beat up the morons as they tried to unload their troops by boat until they agreed to give me stuff. It did hurt my manpower a lot and it does help that you have better troops than Portugal or England. My general was just a crappy 1 shock so it could've been better.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So I just started a Sweden game, aiming for the two achievements. I managed to win my freedom from Denmark alone and taking two Norwegian provinces, then declare war on Novgorod, whom had just been beaten by Muscovy, so took three provinces there. All in all, it was going well, despite running three loans ( I know, not that much). Now I'm allied with Poland-Lithuania and they just chose to repay all my loans. It's 1452 and all is going pretty well, despite Denmark somehow getting a personal union with Bavaria, which is honestly good, since it has made Austria hate them.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The HRE seems to have glitched in my game, for some reason Wurzburg keeps getting elected Emperor despite being a Protestant OPM. Also there's only one other elector.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quality play from Wurzburg; all the other Electors were probably Catholic, stripped of their electorate in the league war, and Wurzburg won't appoint more electors lest it lose the Imperial title.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Has anyone else ever been offered to buy a province from an AI? Was offered Kedah for 300 ducats. I'm guessing it's a combo of it being from an ally and me having every single other province of that culture/state. Either way pretty cool since I figured that was going to destroy our alliance.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

Quality play from Wurzburg; all the other Electors were probably Catholic, stripped of their electorate in the league war, and Wurzburg won't appoint more electors lest it lose the Imperial title.

Yeah I have definitely pulled this move in the past after winning the league war when I just want to stay emperor and don't care about IA. Unclear if his AI is being clever and playing like a human or just glitching.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

...Khalji?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1. Make a country a protectorate
2. Seize a bunch of their provinces, driving up their liberty desire
3. Wait for them to embrace an institution, which will make them stop being a protectorate
4. Embrace your next institution
5. Make the same country a protectorate again, since seizing territory has no impact on relations, only liberty desire
6. Notice that their liberty desire is back to 0 again
7. Seize a bunch of their provinces again
8. Repeat as often as you'd like every time a new institution appears

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

aeglus posted:

Has anyone else ever been offered to buy a province from an AI? Was offered Kedah for 300 ducats. I'm guessing it's a combo of it being from an ally and me having every single other province of that culture/state. Either way pretty cool since I figured that was going to destroy our alliance.

It happens very rarely, if the AI is basically bankrupt.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khilji_dynasty

Looks like Delhi.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Atreiden posted:

There is a ruler personality that makes the AI more likely to sell its provinces to pay off debts.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Atreiden posted:

So I just started a Sweden game, aiming for the two achievements. I managed to win my freedom from Denmark alone and taking two Norwegian provinces, then declare war on Novgorod, whom had just been beaten by Muscovy, so took three provinces there. All in all, it was going well, despite running three loans ( I know, not that much). Now I'm allied with Poland-Lithuania and they just chose to repay all my loans. It's 1452 and all is going pretty well, despite Denmark somehow getting a personal union with Bavaria, which is honestly good, since it has made Austria hate them.

Nice opening, but the real trick with Novgorod is not to annex their territory, but to wait until Novgorod is under 100% war score then vassalize them and declare war on Muscovy to return the very good cores they have. Then eventually annex Novgorod once you've fed them enough land and liberty desire goes too high. If you do this it practically guarantees that Muscovy will be substantially weaker going through the game because the AI is dumb and won't change its trade capital despite making less than 30% of the money from all the trade it's redirecting to you - thus financially crippling Muscovy while funneling cash into your coffers in the Baltic. Just keep this in mind if Muscovy takes the rest of Novgorod you can release them and get them back that way, although some of the less valuable Eastern cores may disappear by then.

There are some countries on the map that you should (almost) always try to vassalize because their cores are in a very important location and their country has a tendency to get eaten quickly. Novgorod is one, others are Denmark, Scotland, Teutonic Order, and Aragon. (You may have to do a catch-and-release on one of their cores to pull some of these off). Thankfully, you're in a prime position to snipe three of those although you'll risk losing that Poland alliance - but then again that was never going to last now was it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Atreiden posted:

If they somehow get a province which they can't core they'll also sell it, IIRC.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There is a ruler personality that makes the AI more likely to sell its provinces to pay off debts.

Cool didn't know that. In my +1000 hours playing this game, the AI have offered me a province exactly one time :)

Ithle01 posted:

Nice opening, but the real trick with Novgorod is not to annex their territory, but to wait until Novgorod is under 100% war score then vassalize them and declare war on Muscovy to return the very good cores they have. Then eventually annex Novgorod once you've fed them enough land and liberty desire goes too high. If you do this it practically guarantees that Muscovy will be substantially weaker going through the game because the AI is dumb and won't change its trade capital despite making less than 30% of the money from all the trade it's redirecting to you - thus financially crippling Muscovy while funneling cash into your coffers in the Baltic. Just keep this in mind if Muscovy takes the rest of Novgorod you can release them and get them back that way, although some of the less valuable Eastern cores may disappear by then.

There are some countries on the map that you should (almost) always try to vassalize because their cores are in a very important location and their country has a tendency to get eaten quickly. Novgorod is one, others are Denmark, Scotland, Teutonic Order, and Aragon. (You may have to do a catch-and-release on one of their cores to pull some of these off). Thankfully, you're in a prime position to snipe three of those although you'll risk losing that Poland alliance - but then again that was never going to last now was it?

Novgorod was still to big to do this, so I took Nerva, Ladoga and Ingermanland (Muscovy only took two provinces). I rather take Novgorod in this game directly and possibly release another russian minor to eat Muscovy. Denmark in this patch, with is new provinces and events are also harder to conquer/vassalize, so I doubt that will ever be an option. I Plan to release Pskov and Estonia to take on Muscovy and The Livonian order.
Poland chose to invade and take Silesia first, so the teutonic order haven't lost any provinces yet and Poland fought an 8 year long coalition war, thanks to its annexation of Silesia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I always release Leon as a vassal when I'm conquering the Iberian peninsula because their color is cool and their name is cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

QuarkJets posted:

I always release Leon as a vassal when I'm conquering the Iberian peninsula because their color is cool and their name is cool

the desmond principal

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm doing a Sweden run and you really have to watch your AE. There's a lot more development and provinces in Denmark and you don't start with cores on Skane anymore so it's going to take a few wars and letting your AE cool down with northern Germany.

The Renaissance takes ages to spread to Sweden. It finally reached me in 1490.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Pellisworth posted:

I'm doing a Sweden run and you really have to watch your AE. There's a lot more development and provinces in Denmark and you don't start with cores on Skane anymore so it's going to take a few wars and letting your AE cool down with northern Germany.

The Renaissance takes ages to spread to Sweden. It finally reached me in 1490.

i always found it fun to set up vassals in the russian area as Sweden, because you can build up something with a fair amount of manpower, and not have to worry about a united russia later stomping on you

also nobody seems to care if you're doing something on the fringes of the civilized world

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Is there a way to demand provinces from your vassals/lesser union partners? I would be perfectly happy cutting Spain loose if they'd give me their three African provinces and Mauritius. Otherwise I'm gonna need to burn a century of diplo points to paint the entirety of Africa.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 2, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elotana posted:

Is there a way to demand provinces from your vassals/lesser union partners? I would be perfectly happy cutting Spain loose if they'd give me their three African provinces and Mauritius. Otherwise I'm gonna need to burn a century of diplo points to paint the entirety of Africa.

Decide in your head-canon that this is a reasonable thing, tag switch, sell provinces, tag back :)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elotana posted:

If you have a claim on a vassal you sometimes get an event where you can have them cede the province to you for a relations hit.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Decide in your head-canon that this is a reasonable thing, tag switch, sell provinces, tag back :)
Don't think that's a thing in ironman

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

It's not very useful to vassalize countries in peace deals, these days. Unless you have the Vassalization CB, I don't think there's any AE or diplo point discount for vassalizing - it tends to cost more diplo to vassalize, actually - and the vassalized country will have a large negative relations penalty with you for forcibly vassalizing them.

Mostly, the correct play is to just annex countries completely, and then release them as vassals. There are exceptions - if you don't want to lose cores that you've already taken from them, for example - but usually the 'vassalize' peace option is a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I like vassalization so that I can ensure that I country I can't fully annex is at least under my thumb and not signing alliances with France and Austria while I await the cool-down timer. It only adds a few more years before I get it anyways, but ensures I don't have to watch helplessly while they buddy up with the nearest blob.

• Locked thread