Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cross-Section posted:

I actually really dig his MoH scores in addition to the stuff he did for Mercenaries, but his incidental stuff at least has all sounded a bit samey to me since Star Trek 09.

That said, you can either chalk it up to my untrained ear and/or the fact that he was brought in super last minute for Rogue One.

Nah I think you're right. Coincidentally I kind of stopped following film and game scores obsessively like a used to years ago, probably because a lot of his and other stuff can be a bit samey. Wasn't he also a last minute choice for one of the Mission Impossible or Bond flicks or something and it ended up being a samey bland soundtrack because they were like "OK make a classic James Barry score you got one month" or something? I don't really notice soundtracks like I used to when watching a movie unless they're really good or really bad so I can't say.

I wonder how much of the music truly gets to be his, like since this is "A Star Wars Story" and not a numbered episode are they going to go for a completely original score or still have the expected themes appear whenever big stuff goes down? It will be interesting to see if someone who already takes a note ( :haw: ) from John Williams to begin with can make a score that flows into those while still sounding like his own stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm expecting the Rogue One score to be like a lot of Star Wars video game scores. Wholesale theft of a bunch of John Williams with a splash of original composition.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kurzon posted:

I'm glad that Rogue One will feature no Jedi because I never understood what the great fuss about them is. None of the movies so far did anything to justify why Jedi and Sith are such game-changers in war. I mean... Luke is handy with a sword and he can move small objects with his mind, but that's not exactly galaxy-shaking stuff. I can't think of anything he did that a regular human couldn't have done. As best as I can tell, in Return of the Jedi he distracts the Emperor while the rebels destroy the Death Star. Had he not been there, the Emperor would have fled when he saw the shield had fallen. Killing the Emperor was more important than the Death Star because he was the political center of the Empire. In the prequel trilogy, the Jedi are a very influential body with a lot of power and money, but the movies don't justify why the Republic thought the Jedi Order should receive so much authority and power.

Has anybody played the first Knights of the Old Republic game? Remember Bastila Shan? She is the only Jedi I know in all the lore for whom the bad guys have excellent reasons to hunt: she has the supernatural power to demoralize an enemy army. A mega buff/debuff spell that can affect thousands of targets at once. Such a person is definitely more useful than even a Death Star, because her power can be applied to any sort of battle on land or in space.

Even a chump Jedi is kind of a badass whose individual presence can alter the outcome of a battle, but you're right that this is not enough to make them important. Their monastic ways give them a reputation for wisdom, not to mention the fact that they can read minds, and advanced ones can see the future, so their words carry weight among people who have actual power to use. This precognitive ability also helps them get into precisely the situations where they can make the biggest difference, whether martially or diplomatically.

In the history of the setting - even just what can be inferred from the movies - the Sith (whoever they originally were) once ruled the entire galaxy on the basis of using their equally formidable Force powers for evil, and the Jedi were instrumental in overthrowing the Sith and purging them, birthing the present incarnation of the Republic.

For both of these historical reasons, they were given political power in the form of special "peacekeeping" authority, as well as informal influence over the rulers of the Galaxy. The role is largely ceremonial, but ceremony matters. That's what made them important. It was not until the time of Yoda that they hosed up badly enough to have those privileges revoked, and the reasons why they hosed up also made them susceptible to failing to employ their powers effectively in their own defense.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Qui-Gon discovered, or maybe rediscovered, how to survive death. His was the first Force ghost, and Yoda heard his voice in Revenge of the Sith. The suggestion is that Yoda and Obi-Wan learned from him. No diegetic explanation is given for how Anakin figured it out.

Well, as per the final arc of TCW the key to becoming a Force ghost is 1) confronting and healthily assimilating your dark side, 2) letting go of your attachments in the material world, 3) achieving a state of ultimate compassion, and 4) learning the specific technique, which of course is never explained. Anakin achieved numbers 1, 2 and 3 on his own, and according to Lucas Obi-Wan and Yoda interceded from the beyond to help Anakin achieve number 4 before his identity was lost to the Netherworld. But of course you're right that this isn't apparent from the films.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 2, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, as per the final arc of TCW the key to becoming a Force ghost is 1) confronting and healthily assimilating your dark side, 2) letting go of your attachments in the material world, 3) achieving a state of ultimate compassion, and 4) learning the specific technique, which of course is never explained. Anakin achieved numbers 1, 2 and 3 on his own, and according to Lucas Obi-Wan and Yoda interceded from the beyond to help Anakin achieve number 4 before his identity was lost to the Netherworld. But of course you're right that this isn't apparent from the films.

If Qui-Gon could learn the technique after dying and teach it to the living, presumably Anakin could learn it after dying by being taught. This makes perfect sense.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

It isn't wrongly interpreted by the Jedi. There's not a single Jedi in the films who ever denies that the Force is a real mystical energy field.

It totally is though. Not only do they gently caress up the prophecy, they gently caress up the most basic aspect of this poo poo in the "light side" and "dark side".

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
People keep posting in this thread that people don't like the prequels because they don't want to consider the implications of midichlorians or recognize that characters have deep motivations or other deep implications of a cunningly crafted story.

No, people don't like the prequels because Lucas cast, framed and shot them so poorly that they are a boring cringefest. People weren't aghast at the edginess of Anakin murdering children. No, they laughed out loud because it was so ham fisted that there was nothing else for it but to shake your head and plow on. Things that a competent journeyman director should have been able to portray as deeply moving or horrifying were instead blocked out woodenly with no emotional attachment or reason for the audience to care.

Some people keep coming back to art, and the vision of the artist. Well listen up, art is emotion and the evocation of emotion. The only emotions the prequels evoke are a thin crust of boredom a top a pile of apathy and annoyance which pretty much is the definition of an incompetent artist.

TFA may not be deep but it set out to evoke feelings of excitement and happiness and actually succeeded so it's 10x the art episodes 1,2 and 3 are.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cross-Section posted:

I actually really dig his MoH scores in addition to the stuff he did for Mercenaries, but his incidental stuff at least has all sounded a bit samey to me since Star Trek 09.

I think he just hits point where he's overworked. Like, in 2009, he did Star Trek, Up and Land of the Lost, and the only one of those that really stood out was Up. In 2011, I think he had to do Ghost Protocol, Cars 2, 50 / 50, Super 8 and I think something else, and all of them suffered. Same thing happened last year, when he crammed Jurassic World, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Inside Out into his schedule -- while none of the work was bad, he clearly didn't have the time to give each score the attention it deserved.

jivjov posted:

I'm expecting the Rogue One score to be like a lot of Star Wars video game scores. Wholesale theft of a bunch of John Williams with a splash of original composition.

Giacchino actually said in an interview with EW a few weeks ago that the score is about 95 percent original with only brief references to the Williams scores.

Also, the review embargo for Rogue One doesn't lift until 5 p.m. Eastern on December 13.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Post bad shots from the prequels, please.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Murgos posted:

People keep posting in this thread that people don't like the prequels because they don't want to consider the implications of midichlorians or recognize that characters have deep motivations or other deep implications of a cunningly crafted story.

No, people don't like the prequels because Lucas cast, framed and shot them so poorly that they are a boring cringefest. People weren't aghast at the edginess of Anakin murdering children. No, they laughed out loud because it was so ham fisted that there was nothing else for it but to shake your head and plow on. Things that a competent journeyman director should have been able to portray as deeply moving or horrifying were instead blocked out woodenly with no emotional attachment or reason for the audience to care.

Some people keep coming back to art, and the vision of the artist. Well listen up, art is emotion and the evocation of emotion. The only emotions the prequels evoke are a thin crust of boredom a top a pile of apathy and annoyance which pretty much is the definition of an incompetent artist.

TFA may not be deep but it set out to evoke feelings of excitement and happiness and actually succeeded so it's 10x the art episodes 1,2 and 3 are.

Truly a lot of new and interesting points here. No one has ever brought any of this up before. drat, you just changed the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Murgos posted:

Prequels: [paragraphs of text about how the prequels don't make you want to talk about them]

TFA: It was good.
Excellent self-own, thank you. You may go.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

No, the Force is a mystical energy field that communicates with living beings through microscopic mediating organisms called midi-chlorians, which are a metaphor for the symbiotic relationships that make life, and thus knowledge of the Force, possible. It's really not that complicated. They're a "middle" point between the mystical and material aspects of the Force, which is partly where they get their name. Surely, if the Force represents the entirety of reality in all its aspects, there must also be a scientific aspect to it, just as there is a scientific aspect to religious experience (neurons firing in odd ways) in the real world. Neither aspect is delegitimized or "ruined' by the other unless you're some kind of religious fundamentalist or New Atheist-style adherent to scientism.

Why isn't George Lucas allowed to find spiritual meaning and beauty in the microscopic workings of biology that make life possible in the first place? Why isn't he allowed to say that this might have anything at all to do with a life-force? All he's saying is that God is ultimately to be found in the relationships that connect us to other life-forms and keep us alive, whether it be on a micro- or a macroscopic level, or on a biological or an interpersonal level. Lucas's only sin was in thinking too big and too expansively for a mainstream audience that just wanted to hear Yoda spout more vague fortune-cookie aphorisms and make them feel all fuzzy inside, without having to be challenged to think about anything in a new way.

It isn't wrongly interpreted by the Jedi. There's not a single Jedi in the films who ever denies that the Force is a real mystical energy field.

The Force is supposed to be a distillation of all the world's religions down to their basic concepts. Judeo-Christianity (not to mention Greco-Roman religion) has always been a part of that, and the Judeo-Christians have a very particular kind of god with a will and an intelligence. Star Wars does not and never has shared a certain segment of the fanbase's antipathy toward Western religion. From the very beginning, the Jedi were equated with medieval crusading knights and presented as an organization directly akin to something like the Knights Templar. George Lucas self-identifies as a "Buddhist Methodist." The Force is a fusion of Western and Eastern religious concepts. You can interpret the will of the Force whatever way you want. That's the point.

But the Force does have a will apart from the individual. Personal inspiration cannot account for the ability to see events from the future. Such an ability can only be accounted for by the existence of an external voice with knowledge of future events speaking to you and guiding you. Individuals can't have knowledge of future events, because their experiential capabilities are limited to the past and present. That's why throughout the entire history of mythology and religion, such phenomena have always been accounted for by gods speaking through oracles and prophets. Every religion, even Buddhism, posits a connection to something greater than the individual, an overarching order embodying ultimate knowledge about the universe, which individuals can from time to time briefly become one with and receive guidance from.

I really don't want to see what complicated looks like.

The force doesn't exist. The Jedi and Sith are two slightly different religions killing each other because of their bullshit beliefs.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Red posted:

I have never disagreed more with any post on these Awful forums.

The prequels were complete garbage except for McDiarmid's 110% dive into awesomeness. He was clearly having the time of his life there, and it came across as genuine.

As much as one could in such a role.

I dunno, the performances in the prequels were so bad I think McDiarmid looks competent just by comparison.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
You guys ever wonder if Liam Neeson like misspoke or something? You know, like, he was supposed to say "Mini-Chlorians" but just hosed up. Like maybe the Chlorians learned how to mass produce telekinesis and shrunk themselves down and invaded peoples' bodies to help them out? I really think that would add a lot of context to the prequels.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Friendly Factory posted:

You guys ever wonder if Liam Neeson like misspoke or something? You know, like, he was supposed to say "Mini-Chlorians" but just hosed up. Like maybe the Chlorians learned how to mass produce telekinesis and shrunk themselves down and invaded peoples' bodies to help them out? I really think that would add a lot of context to the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxcKNs8R9AE

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

The act of achieving life after death in Star Wars is questionable.

Does this look like a man rotting 6-feet under to you?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Does this look like a man rotting 6-feet under to you?

Been over this. Luke is on hallucinogenic drugs provided by Yoda. Yoda is also on them.

"Why didn't you tell me my father was Vader?" Because a hallucination can't tell you something you don't know yourself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm in awe of your seamless blend of analysis and humor. Every post of yours is like a high-wire act.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

UmOk posted:

Been over this. Luke is on hallucinogenic drugs provided by Yoda. Yoda is also on them.

"Why didn't you tell me my father was Vader?" Because a hallucination can't tell you something you don't know yourself.

midichlorians, duke

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cnut the Great posted:

But the Force does have a will apart from the individual. Personal inspiration cannot account for the ability to see events from the future. Such an ability can only be accounted for by the existence of an external voice with knowledge of future events speaking to you and guiding you. Individuals can't have knowledge of future events, because their experiential capabilities are limited to the past and present. That's why throughout the entire history of mythology and religion, such phenomena have always been accounted for by gods speaking through oracles and prophets. Every religion, even Buddhism, posits a connection to something greater than the individual, an overarching order embodying ultimate knowledge about the universe, which individuals can from time to time briefly become one with and receive guidance from.
Well, in that case, we call it foresight.

Even in the case of Obi-Wan's ghost giving Luke new information, a ghost is just a metaphor for the way the dead stay with us and affect us. I'm not suggesting that Luke doesn't literally see Obi-Wan, he's just tripping balls, and he found information on Yoda in Obi-Wan's journal. But thematically, talking to his mentor's ghost and finding information in the traces he left behind are equivalent situations.

UmOk posted:

How did that Jedi Master know about the burrito made of Dorito?

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
Do you guys think Rogue One will be good?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well duh, Donnie Yen is in it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Stacks posted:

Do you guys think Rogue One will be good?

How do you feel about prequels?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
people who hate the prequels will enjoy RO

people who like the prequels will hate RO

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

people who hate the prequels will enjoy RO

people who like the prequels will hate RO

RO is a prequel. Maybe you missed that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

RO is a prequel. Maybe you missed that.

Maybe you miss the fact that RO will have nothing in common artistically nor stylistically than those abominations other than literally two cameos with less than 10 minutes of screen time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Maybe you miss the fact that RO will have nothing in common artistically nor stylistically than those abominations other than literally two cameos with less than 10 minutes of screen time.

You're confident in saying that having only seen a few trailers?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

You're confident in saying that having only seen a few trailers?

More than a few trailers boss

Do you really think Disney will ever release a movie with any close association to a trilogy with an overwhelmingly negative public perception? Do you think Disney wants to emulate hot garbage?

No they wanna emulate success and quality which is why they're all doing poo poo associated with the OT

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 2, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Alright, just trying to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment.

I can't remember if you've ever answered this before, what was your opinion of Episode I right after you left the theatre? How long did it take you to determine that it was poo poo? I wanna know whether your initial review will be worth paying attention to, or if the real review will be coming like 6 months from now once you've had time to let it marinate for a while.

I'm seriously looking forward to your review of Rogue One more than any professional reviewer, I'm not joking.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Do you really think Disney will ever release a movie with any close association to a trilogy with an overwhelmingly negative public perception?

"This is a Rebellion isn't it? I rebel" is a line written and delivered straight out a prequel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Alright, just trying to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment.

I can't remember if you've ever answered this before, what was your opinion of Episode I right after you left the theatre? How long did it take you to determine that it was poo poo? I wanna know whether your initial review will be worth paying attention to, or if the real review will be coming like 6 months from now once you've had time to let it marinate for a while.

I'm seriously looking forward to your review of Rogue One more than any professional reviewer, I'm not joking.

I already know I'm going to like RO because it's OT material, directed by a good director, written by good writers, and produced by a mega-corporation that will not allow failure (Disney)

at worst its a film that is good but forgettable like most Marvel movies.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

"This is a Rebellion isn't it? I rebel" is a line written and delivered straight out a prequel.

your point?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I already know I'm going to like RO because it's OT material, directed by a good director, written by good writers, and produced by a mega-corporation that will not allow failure (Disney)

at worst its a film that is good but forgettable like most Marvel movies.

Oh, so can you just write your review right now? I'm sure there are many other avid fans other than myself that would love to read it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

your point?

That your entire presence in this thread is devoted to pointing out how terrible you think George Lucas is, when the main pull-quote from the trailer so far reeks of the very thing you lambast the prequels for.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, so can you just write your review right now? I'm sure there are many other avid fans other than myself that would love to read it.

no because I don't have enough detail to actually talk about the film in effort post terms

All I have now is info that lends to my presumption of quality for RO.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Phi230 posted:

notice how none of the media nor toys are about the prequels

go to target or walmart or toys r us right now and go into the toys section and look for star wars stuff

not a SINGLE toy from the prequels in sight. All ep 4-6, 7, rogue one.

nobody likes it, nobody wants it and that's reflected in the amount of money they made in the box office and their critical and audience reception.
The prequel trilogy made lots of money. Lots and lots of money.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

That your entire presence in this thread is devoted to pointing out how terrible you think George Lucas is, when the main pull-quote from the trailer so far reeks of the very thing you lambast the prequels for.

I judge the prequels by the sum of their quality which is majority negative which is why I hate them. IE, their negative qualities vastly, extremely, overwhelmingly exceed any positive qualities they possess.

There's no reason to presume that RO will be bad, given the trailers and all surrounding info. But then again, there was no reason to presume that EP 1 would be bad, so I still may be wrong.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Do you really think Disney will ever release a movie with any close association to a trilogy with an overwhelmingly negative public perception? Do you think Disney wants to emulate hot garbage?

Given the massive success of the Clone Wars and Reoverbels cartoons (and the fact that said "overwhelmingly negative" trilogy were all multi-hundred million dollar blockbusters) I'd give Disney even odds.

Besides, what makes you think prequel-likers will judge the movie soley by how closely it emulates the prequels?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

But then again, there was no reason to presume that EP 1 would be bad, so I still may be wrong.

See, this is what I'm trying to tell you. You "knew" that Episode 1 was going to be good, and now you "know" that Rogue One will be good.

You need to be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The prequel trilogy made lots of money. Lots and lots of money.

The total gross for the prequels in entirety, minus merch, was 1.13 billion approximately.

Total gross for TFA alone was 2.068 billion. And early ticket sales for RO make it seem that RO will be relatively close to TFA.

People want OT material.

• Locked thread