Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ok but is it the same as deblurring with a gameshark code?

The gameshark code removes anti-aliasing, which is separate from the blur effect. Here's what an UltraHDMI-modded N64 looks like with AA and the blur filter disabled:

Ideally you should be able to get the same picture with the new custom firmware on the N64RGB and a decent upscaler like the Framemeister.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

rdbbb posted:

I only play Super versions of games. This includes Super Troll Islands.

Better include Super Pitfall too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It means he gets Super Adventure Island II though, and that cancels out a lot.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mogomra posted:

What controllers are you using now? I can't for the life of me get my two 8bitdo controllers to exit games by pressing start + select. I end up having to find my usb keyboard, plugging it in, and hitting the keys bound to start and select or I just get lazy and reboot the Raspberry Pi from my phone... If I could get the exiting games thing to work I'd be using my retropie a whole lot more.

For now I'm just using a wired 360 controller, and it picked that up with no problems at all - plugged it in, held a button for a while, and then it had me map it. It works fine with the start+select combo.

I'll try my SFC30 when I get home, how odd. I did have to plug in a USB keyboard to hit escape when I was configuring audio mixer options, that was dumb.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

END ME SCOOB posted:

It means he gets Super Adventure Island II though, and that cancels out a lot.

Super Pac-Man is one of the best Pac-Man games.

Super Mario Bros. is a good twist on the Mario Bros. formula.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

h_double posted:

Super Pac-Man is one of the best Pac-Man games.

Well, it's in the top 50 Pac-Man games at least.

Barely.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

the only good thing I ever found at a pawn shop was robo aleste for 5 bucks and this was no joke like 17 years ago

Sealed Lightening Force for $5, in 2011.

Conker's Bad Fur Day for $5 I can't remember when, but after it became a hot item.

CIB Super Mario Bros. for $20, a few months ago.

Most pawn shop trips I leave empty-handed, but they're the only place I have even the slightest hope of finding anything good anymore.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I wish I lived wherever you do, lots of pawn shops here don't even take anything that isn't gold/jewelry anymore

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Lightening Force was from a pawn shop in Meriden, CT I went to once on vacation (which had quite a bit of retrogaming stuff), and the Conker's Bad Fur Day was from one in Columbia, MO that I went to multiple times, but they never had anything else exciting.

The SMB was from a place in Fayetteville, AR that barely had any video game stuff. It was like: a few random PS3 games, a couple of SNES sports titles, complete Super Mario Bros. in excellent condition. :psyduck:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There was one locally owned thrift shop that I got a very nice SNES/N64 score several months back that I posted about here, and they had a trickle of other decent stuff for a bit, including a white PS2 slim with white controller for pretty cheap, but in the last few months they barely have anything anymore. Either I'm getting there at the wrong times or that was all a one time thing.

The other day though they did have a fat PS3, for $75. I very much passed.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 2, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The best deal I got at a pawn shop was finding Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the PS2 for five bucks, back when it was still going used for 60. Sold it when the XBLA/PSN release happen for about five times what I paid for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The best I've managed in recent years was a copy of Jet Set Radio Future for $2 at a Blockbuster. With a scratchless disc, no less.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Went to a pawn shop in Riverside, CA in 2012 and bought a scratched-label with a missing screw Tennis on the NES for 50 cents. Brought it home, and put it away for a month when I had time to crack it open and clean it.

A month later, I open it up to clean it, and it's a famicom converter cart. And it's not even Tennis! It was "Robot Gyro" when I booted it up.

Comedy.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Best score recently was a Vectrex with box of random Atari controllers for $100 at a Gas Station fleamarket in Florida. Going through the box of controllers later I found a Vectrex 3d Imager with the 3d Minestorm disc and two Wico Command sticks. Finally got to use it last night when my Sean Kelly cart came in. It is the best early 3d system I have ever used. It accomplishes the fishbowl effect like early 3ds titles, but on a vector monitor. And recently I was given an Apple ][e that just needed a solder joint fixed. Other than that, it has been a slim past few years for retro finds for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I find loads of old PC games still scattered around and the occasional cool game (one of my local pawn shops always has a couple of Lynx carts around I might get someday) but there's basically no chance of finding decent hardware any more. Anything decent I find either doesn't work or is way dirtier than I have the motivation to clean.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only way to get a deal around here is to find someone who isn't aware of the retro game hype. I listed a set of old golf clubs on CL not too ago and included "will trade for old games" in the description. Some guy emailed me offering a CIB jungle green n64 and like 20 games. Everything was in pristine condition.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

The guy she's writing about is the psychopath who harassed and stalked me (thankfully I'm only briefly mentioned here). The best things to come out of Twin Galaxies are A. the tracking of competitive gaming scores as a concept and B. Walter Day - most other people genuinely invested in TG at this point are complete psychos or only barely involved at best. Inexplicably they are the ones who are still partnered with Guinness, which is the only shred of relevancy they have to hang on to post Walter.

Some of us are loathe to actually use his name so we call him Fruity Gay Spaghetti. Yes it's childish, no I don't care.

Holy poo poo. I just read the blog. He's on his Twitter demanding that the FBI and Donald Trump (??) do something about her post. What a loving psychopath. It seems like this is all unraveling right now. Please keep us updated (on his inevitable arrest).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I'm really surprised that this nutcase has anyone on his side. One look at his posts should put him in the back-away-slowly division.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a legit (as in not a scam) place that sell inserts and the cases for Neo Geo MVS games? Now that I have a decent library of the games, I want them to be protected and look nice. Just having them out with the worn labels looks like butt.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jimbot posted:

Is there a legit (as in not a scam) place that sell inserts and the cases for Neo Geo MVS games? Now that I have a decent library of the games, I want them to be protected and look nice. Just having them out with the worn labels looks like butt.

You want Shockboxes.

https://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?cPath=170

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Doc Morbid posted:

Folks on Twitter are saying that Micomsoft announced they're stopping production of the Framemeister, no word of a successor so far but I'm guessing they'll be releasing something with 4k support at some point.

edit: Micomsoft's official announcement:

https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/804226382259634176

xamphear posted:

Edit: Here's the google translate for the tweet. Sounds like the chip they use inside the unit is going EOL, but they're buying a bunch to keep production going for another year.

[Important Notice Regarding the End of FRAMEMEISTER Production] The end of production of the main IC was announced. Next February will be the IC's last byte. We plan to purchase enough stock to continue production for more than 1 year, but will end as soon as it is lost. For details, please visit http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/micomsoft_news

I asked a friend of mine who teaches in Japan for a quick look at this:

quote:

Pretty much yeah. Their main IC supplier won't take new orders after February 2017, so they plan on making a big order that should last them for a year, but all future orders will be dependent on their stockpile of those ICs, so they can't guarantee it will last for the full year if many people order from them.

Sucks. We just got a big 1080p HDTV and it doesn't support 240p inputs, so a FRAMEMEISTER looked like something we'd need to get decent video out of it. Then I checked and it seems like everywhere is either sold out with a month+ until restock or charging ridiculous prices. :(

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
At least it sounds like the OSSC https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/ will be a pretty good cheaper alternative early next year once they have the digital audio board out.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Alucardd posted:

At least it sounds like the OSSC https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/ will be a pretty good cheaper alternative early next year once they have the digital audio board out.

Between this and the Retro AVS, I don't understand the recent trend of homebrew projects supporting 720p but not 1080p. Can you even buy a 720p native resolution display any more?

The whole selling point of eliminating input lag is lost when you have to use your TV to convert 720p to 1080p.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 3, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
720p multiplies cleaner based on the 240p resolution. 1080p is not only more work naturally, but it also isn't a perfect fit so you have to do funny scaling.

Your average HDTV most people are using will also be super good at scaling 720p to native resolution, which for many people is probably neither 720p nor 1080p unless you have a pretty recent or expensive TV.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 3, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

but I'm guessing they'll be releasing something with 4k support at some point.

I don't think there'd be any point to this for any consumer product outputting an analog signal, any 4K TV is already going to handle 720p and 1080p signals about as well as can be expected. This unfortunately most likely means the end-end.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Your average HDTV most people are using will also be super good at scaling 720p to native resolution, which for many people is probably neither 720p nor 1080p unless you have a pretty recent or expensive TV.

That's bullshit, with 1080p TVs at least - and 1080p TVs are hardly expensive either. I got my 1080p 32 inch set back in 2011 and it was only $300, so it's not like it took forever for prices to go down or anything, and it was just a regular Vizio from Target. So not like "$300 because I hunted down a special Amazon deal".

1920x1080 screens are like 99% of the screens a 1080p set will have. Occasionally you get the odd 1920x1200 in small sizes, or like 1440x1080 stretched native if you're a weirdo who insists on buying old plasma-panel TVs, for the same reason their 720p versions were often 1024x768 stretched.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 3, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are there any comparable alternatives to the framemeister?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you still want a Framemeister and want to avoid scalper markup you can get one at Solaris Japan for like $320. The only problem is it is backordered and won't ship until January, but it's better than paying out the rear end on eBay.

I've been meaning to get one forever so given recent developments I just ordered one from here.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

720p multiplies cleaner based on the 240p resolution. 1080p is not only more work naturally, but it also isn't a perfect fit so you have to do funny scaling.

So what exactly is happening when I use my framemeister on my 1080p TV? It's not giving me a perfect image? Or is it adding black borders that I don't notice or something? Would changing it to 720p make it look better? I know with scanlines it does but I don't use them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Looks like it's time to put up my Framemeister for sale since I converted to CRT.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Got an Avenue 6 PCE pad in the mail today that I ordered a few weeks ago, and decided to put it through its paces on the PCE port of Street Fighter II Champion Edition (seriously; what else did I buy this thing for?). The pad works great, although you have to switch between modes to use the Turbo Everdrive menu (this is likely due to stretching the inputs of the 9 pin as far as they can go, like the Sega Genesis and its 6-button pad).

The port of SF2CE? Well, for the game itself, I'm actually really impressed by how well it plays. However, it's about as bare-bones a port as you can get. No credit reel for passing on 8 stars (though I lost four times, if that matters).

In other news, why didn't anyone tell me that playing through Final Fight One as one of the unlocked Alpha skins turns the game into "Final Fight - Existential Crisis"? That poo poo is hilarious and I highly recommend it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
In light of the framemeister nonsense, I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get an RGB monitor. What's a good size?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

In light of the framemeister nonsense, I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get an RGB monitor. What's a good size?

14" is good if it's just you and can have it on your desk. 20" is the other sweet spot for 2 players.

I have a 14" sitting on my corner desk right now.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

14" is good if it's just you and can have it on your desk. 20" is the other sweet spot for 2 players.

I have a 14" sitting on my corner desk right now.

None of my friends care about retrogaming so 14" it is! Do you use a Sony PVM or are there other brands/models that are as good?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

None of my friends care about retrogaming so 14" it is! Do you use a Sony PVM or are there other brands/models that are as good?

I do. I have a PVM-14L5. I got it specifically for 480p stuff. There are a handful of other models that do as well. Sony monitors are the simplest to get a hold of since they seem to have been in every studio and hospital. There are other manufacturers that are also good but not as ubiquitous or as well known. JVC, Panasonic and Ikegami. Olympus could be counted I guess since some of the models are rebranded Sony's.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Got an Avenue 6 PCE pad in the mail today that I ordered a few weeks ago, and decided to put it through its paces on the PCE port of Street Fighter II Champion Edition (seriously; what else did I buy this thing for?). The pad works great, although you have to switch between modes to use the Turbo Everdrive menu (this is likely due to stretching the inputs of the 9 pin as far as they can go, like the Sega Genesis and its 6-button pad).

The port of SF2CE? Well, for the game itself, I'm actually really impressed by how well it plays. However, it's about as bare-bones a port as you can get. No credit reel for passing on 8 stars (though I lost four times, if that matters).

In other news, why didn't anyone tell me that playing through Final Fight One as one of the unlocked Alpha skins turns the game into "Final Fight - Existential Crisis"? That poo poo is hilarious and I highly recommend it.

Actually the pce 6 button pad is even more hosed up than the genesis. It's a combination of two game pads with one having start+select held to differentiate which pad is being used for the extra buttons

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The problem with big game collections: I have a few free hours to play something. I have spent the past twenty minutes deciding which system I want to hook up.

Edit: The answer was, as it is for so many questions in life, the Dreamcast.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I have a nerdroom with four consoles hooked up at once, in addition to the PS3 and Wii U in the living room, and my only gaming related activities the past two weeks have been Elder Scrolls Online on my days off and watching LPs on my Vita to fall asleep. I don't have the time for gaming that I used to, but more than that it's like I don't have the necessary mental energy to enjoy it. I'd love to get totally engrossed in a RPG like I used to, but maybe that'll have to wait until I retire.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lunar / Lunar 2 are the last great RPGs for me. After that, I just couldn't get in to any as deeply. Xenosaga hit very, very close, until they cancelled the last 3 games and shoehorned the story into Xenosaga 3. I'm 30 and just don't have the time or emotional excess to cry at another Kos-mos or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
With rpgs these days I don't even deal with emotional investment anymore and I just really like the mechanics. Once in a rare while I get sucked into a game and go buck wild.

FFXV which I figured was going to be a snooze fest has become my new skyrim.

• Locked thread