Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've magnetized some of my ships but I've been slacking. I'm not a fan of gluing ball bearings to the fiddly plastic pegs though. I have to cut the top off then drill a hole so the bb has more to hold on to, and drilling the small pegs is a real pain. I want to get metal pegs of some kind that would fit into the base snugly (probably not going to happen) then I can fan the top out a bit to really get the bb in there.

If you're notin the x-wing mods/minis group, this might not show: https://www.facebook.com/xavi.guerrero.773/videos/10211504668840777/ Looks like a small ring magnet around the bottom peg, then another ring or flat plate on the peg, then another ring magnet on the top instead of just ball on ball.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

If you're notin the x-wing mods/minis group, this might not show: https://www.facebook.com/xavi.guerrero.773/videos/10211504668840777/ Looks like a small ring magnet around the bottom peg, then another ring or flat plate on the peg, then another ring magnet on the top instead of just ball on ball.

I am but I'm on mobile. He recorded the video in portrait and no matter how I rotate i can barely see it :argh:

I'll look when I get home.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So I'm gonna try out two lists today. Old Fennaroo and then this Ketsu/Kath list that was posted. If I can't make sense of them I'm just going to use dengaroo LOL

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've magnetized some of my ships but I've been slacking. I'm not a fan of gluing ball bearings to the fiddly plastic pegs though. I have to cut the top off then drill a hole so the bb has more to hold on to, and drilling the small pegs is a real pain. I want to get metal pegs of some kind that would fit into the base snugly (probably not going to happen) then I can fan the top out a bit to really get the bb in there.

A recent suggestion I saw which sounded sensible was to use M4 cap nuts instead of bearings. They should screw straight on to the pegs if you clip the male part off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

A recent suggestion I saw which sounded sensible was to use M4 cap nuts instead of bearings. They should screw straight on to the pegs if you clip the male part off.

Oh wow, I would have had no idea how to even search for those. Would they fit the pegs tightly enough or should I look for threaded rods as well, I wonder. Time to hit the hardware and hobby stores!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I ran Mindlinked Fen, Zuckuss (yes, the pilot), and Manaroo last night. It was based on the list someone posted here a couple weeks ago.

I won 4 out of 5 games, only losing the last when it went to time against a sensor cluster Poe. I hate Poe. I smashed a Dengaroo, trounced Old Man Fen twice, and slogged through some Palp Defenders.

Turns out that when you're rolling 4-5 highly accurate attack dice, it doesn't matter how many tokens something has.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh wow, I would have had no idea how to even search for those. Would they fit the pegs tightly enough or should I look for threaded rods as well, I wonder. Time to hit the hardware and hobby stores!

THe poster suggested that they would cut threads onto the top of the pegs if you clip the male part off. Small pegs that is.

You're looking for the ones with the dome top and hex bottom per https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...iw=1600&bih=737

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I ran Mindlinked Fen, Zuckuss (yes, the pilot), and Manaroo last night. It was based on the list someone posted here a couple weeks ago.

I won 4 out of 5 games, only losing the last when it went to time against a sensor cluster Poe. I hate Poe. I smashed a Dengaroo, trounced Old Man Fen twice, and slogged through some Palp Defenders.

Turns out that when you're rolling 4-5 highly accurate attack dice, it doesn't matter how many tokens something has.

Dish, girl. What else is on it? EPTs for all and titles on Fenn and Zuckuss bring the list to 88 points.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, the Old Teroch/Fenn Rau/Manaroo list I'm going to try out is an Attani Mindlink list. I hope it hits that sweet spot of being competitive but still fun to fly. Dengaroo and Defenders are borderline for me, because I know I can win matches with those lists, but they're not as much fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Dish, girl. What else is on it? EPTs for all and titles on Fenn and Zuckuss bring the list to 88 points.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:&sn=FenZuckMan

I gotta say that I rarely found the K4 security droid to be useful. Zuckuss didn't need the locks and Fen usually took his own if it was safe or did boost/roll/focus/whatever instead if it wasn't. Half the time, when I passed tokens with Manaroo, it would just replace a lock I already had.

Not sure what I'd take in its place.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:&sn=FenZuckMan

I gotta say that I rarely found the K4 security droid to be useful. Zuckuss didn't need the locks and Fen usually took his own if it was safe or did boost/roll/focus/whatever instead if it wasn't. Half the time, when I passed tokens with Manaroo, it would just replace a lock I already had.

I wonder if you swap Adv. Sens + Dengar for FCS+Gunner, and make up the points on Manaroo with R4 Agromech and BSMT?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, the Old Teroch/Fenn Rau/Manaroo list I'm going to try out is an Attani Mindlink list. I hope it hits that sweet spot of being competitive but still fun to fly. Dengaroo and Defenders are borderline for me, because I know I can win matches with those lists, but they're not as much fun.

I think that Old Man Fen is on the borderline of being competitive.

It's good against assorted Imperial ace lists (especially Defenders) because you can strip their tokens, but Carnor Jax does more or less the same thing (and is rarely seen at top tables). I consider Old Teroch a straight side-grade from Jax. Maybe a bit better since his effect lasts after he's dead (the stripped tokens don't come back if he dies) and he has one more hull.

Against almost anything else, I feel it's slightly worse than Palp Aces. You have a ton of focus tokens, but no evades and no Palp to help you against blanks. In both of the Old Man Fen lists I faced last night, my opponent lost a ship in a single shot from rolling blanks.

In the end, if I were to fly a support ship + 2 list, it'd be Palp Aces of some variant.

Swapping Zuckuss for Teroch gives you some body; you have a ship that can't be killed in one shot. Advanced Sensors lets you play some amazing maneuvering games and you DGAF about rocks because you get all your actions first. AdvSens a barrel roll, then just go straight through a rock: no one expects it and you'll probably get a range 1 shot out of arc out of the deal.

I'm not sure if Fen Man Zuck is competitive either, but my early playtesting shows that it's probably slightly better against everything except Palp Defenders while not being significantly worse against those.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I wonder if you swap Adv. Sens + Dengar for FCS+Gunner, and make up the points on Manaroo with R4 Agromech and BSMT?

No way am I dropping Advanced Sensors. That poo poo was worth its weight in gold.
-Pre-movement barrel rolls let you do all sorts of janky moves, enabling you to arc dodge and/or block.
-You can take a red move (Zuck has a lot of those) and still get your action + a focus from Mindlink.
-You DGAF about rocks; as long as you don't land on them, you can just fly right over and still have all your actions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

What about Feedback Array or APL/Ion Projector?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

What about Feedback Array or APL/Ion Projector?

Yeah I was thinking about that. Bring in some combo of Feedback, APL/Ion, and BMST

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Taking red moves with Mindlink seems real ballsy, unless you know Fenn gas a green dialed in

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Taking red moves with Mindlink seems real ballsy, unless you know Fenn gas a green dialed in

Yeah just gotta plan right.

Both fen and manaroo have so many greens it doesn't matter much.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

-Pre-movement barrel rolls let you do all sorts of janky moves, enabling you to arc dodge and/or block.

This is huge and one of the reasons I love SuperNorra (BB8/Kyle/Ptl/EU). Those BB8 BR+Boost are hilarious.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

This is huge and one of the reasons I love SuperNorra (BB8/Kyle/Ptl/EU). Those BB8 BR+Boost are hilarious.

Bb8 Poe has similar movement possibilities but regen is just flat better on him.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Bb8 Poe has similar movement possibilities but regen is just flat better on him.

Yeah, totally. And SuperNorra lacks a bit, too. It's fun as hell to fly, though. I'm definitely gonna try this Zuckuss build.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Suddenly I feel an urge to play F-Zero.

(these are great btw)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a neat 3-night league format

quote:

Pilot & Ship Building Rules:
1) All unique cards are banned (pilots and upgrades).
2) Weekly point limits per pilot will be 30, 35, and 40 respectively for the three weeks (you may switch ships between weeks – you are the pilot, not the ship)
3) Players begin by selecting one ship and an associated non-unique pilot. You are now that pilot.
a. For ships that do not have non-unique pilots (ARC-170, Rebel TIE, Attack Shuttle, etc.), players may select the lowest skill pilot associated with that ship and treat it as a generic pilot of the same cost. Ignore the printed pilot ability of the non-unique pilot associated with your ship.
4) Pilots may spend points to increase their Pilot Skill.
a. Pilot Skill increases are in 1 level increments and each increase has a point cost
b. Pilot Skill increases to PS2, PS3, and PS4 cost 1pt (each)
c. Pilot Skill increases to PS5 and above cost 2pts (each)
5) Pilots with a Pilot Skill of 4 or higher who do not have an elite pilot talent (EPT) upgrade slot may purchase an EPT slot for 1pt.
6) Pilots may upgrade their ships with non-unique upgrade cards at the usual point cost, so long as their ships can normally equip them.
7) (Optional) Give your pilot an awesome call sign.
8) (Optional) Name your sweet custom ship something cool, too.

First game is 2 vs 2 (randomly assigned teams), one point for playing, 2 for winning.
Second game: All players will participate in a 3v3 battle. 1 point for playing, 3 points for your team winning. TO will assign opponents based on player record entering week two (striving for equal totals in points from week one when possible).
Third game: All players will participate in a 2v3 battle. 1 point for playing, 4 points for your team winning. TO will assign opponents based on player record entering week three (highest two records will be on one team, lower three records will be on the other)

Seems like a neat format.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ridiculous turtle spaceship taking shape!

Let's play a game of identify the random parts.

(I need to do a proper pull from the master for the fin bits, and swap them round as they look a lot better the other sides. I'll also probably remove the front facing window from the grey bit.)

I'll be running this as a shadowcaster, it's awaiting a gun which will mount behind the middle window. Possibly the ridiculously huge one I made for my current 'caster, or possibly the gun off the Outrider if I can acquire one - a mate has promised his.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 1, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I see Decimator, Falcon, Outrider, and Ghost pieces.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

I see Decimator, Falcon, Outrider, and Ghost pieces.

You got two out of two and added two extra somehow o_O

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Falcon has the same part behind the Decimator's contribution (or at least the Micro Machine playset I had when I was six had that part), and the Ghost's airlocks look reeeeeeeeally similar to those pieces on the back. I also didn't remember seeing any yellow on an Outrider.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's pure Falcon and Decimator plus plasticard and found objects. The docking tubes are the Falcon's.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

It's pure Falcon and Decimator plus plasticard and found objects. The docking tubes are the Falcon's.

I've heard that turtles don't respond well to plastic

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I did repaints on Protectorate aces too because these things are the best.

I've only played X Wing a few months, but jumping into a big ol regionals this weekend in Michigan. Anyone else going to be there?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Slandible posted:

I did repaints on Protectorate aces too because these things are the best.

I've only played X Wing a few months, but jumping into a big ol regionals this weekend in Michigan. Anyone else going to be there?

Pretty sure im going

Also nice work

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bossk and Kath lost to Chirpie and Vader. Chirpie has two hull left, Vader was full. He saw my Bossk build and ran the hell away from my Homing Missile, and I never got a chance to use it. I don't know how to fly Satan boats.

We did do the Homing Missile attack after to make me feel better and I one shot Vader :unsmith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

banned from Starbucks posted:

Pretty sure im going

Also nice work

:same: to both

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bossk and Kath lost to Chirpie and Vader. Chirpie has two hull left, Vader was full. He saw my Bossk build and ran the hell away from my Homing Missile, and I never got a chance to use it. I don't know how to fly Satan boats.

We did do the Homing Missile attack after to make me feel better and I one shot Vader :unsmith:

Hellbus is a little tricky in my experience. The most success I've had with it was when I just focused on getting that fat firing arc covering as much board area as possible.

Well, I ran Ketsu/Kath and tried out the FenZuckMan list. I like both of them, but I think I'm going to use FenZuckMan this weekend. The mindlink shenanigans are hilarious and way too much fun.

That being said, Ketsu might be one of my favorite pilots, now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thespaceinvader posted:

Let's play a game of identify the random parts.

I see plasticard :pseudo:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Ridiculous turtle spaceship taking shape!

Excellent Honu! You going to put Hawaiian/Polynesian tribal designs on it?

Homeworld? Looks great!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Excellent Honu! You going to put Hawaiian/Polynesian tribal designs on it?

Homeworld? Looks great!

Wasnt planning to, but I might be persuaded if I think I can pull it off.

And yeah those fangs are neat. Nice work.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just curious, but which large ship do you guys think paisley would work best on?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Just curious, but which large ship do you guys think paisley would work best on?

Decimator. The two front protuberances are sort of tie-shaped. Necktie, that is.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kath with Tailgunner has been kicking my rear end all week. She's annoying on her own but with TLT Kavil at her side?

My regular Wang friend uses Predator on both and there's only so many rerolls I can watch before I feel the call to the dark side! Then I have to remind myself I'm playing with toys and to fly casual and to not give into the hate or flip the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Kath with Tailgunner has been kicking my rear end all week. She's annoying on her own but with TLT Kavil at her side?

My regular Wang friend uses Predator on both and there's only so many rerolls I can watch before I feel the call to the dark side! Then I have to remind myself I'm playing with toys and to fly casual and to not give into the hate or flip the table.

Tailgunner Kath is tough.

Tail her with a Ghost or Decimator, who cares if she penalises your attacks, you kill her more quickly than she kills you.

• Locked thread