Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Have not heard that. As a teen I was really only into Aesop and things he was involved in and the people in his circle I kinda just never checked out. I listened to a lot of Aesop, I think a group called the weathermen or something that had aes in it, and possibly an albino (?) blind guy that died I believe (never got too into him, just one album during the bush years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Have not heard that. As a teen I was really only into Aesop and things he was involved in and the people in his circle I kinda just never checked out. I listened to a lot of Aesop, I think a group called the weathermen or something that had aes in it, and possibly an albino (?) blind guy that died I believe (never got too into him, just one album during the bush years).

You mean Brother Ali? He's still alive.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Seems like fantastic damage is not on Apple...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Kenshin posted:

You mean Brother Ali? He's still alive.

Sorry, I was just going off memory. I think I combined two people.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the cold vein is one of the best produced rap albums of all time.

brother ali's shadows on the sun is a top album too. dude can flow too, he has one of my favorite appearances of 5 fingers of death:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XAu1WVtD1Xc

eyedea is probably the guy you're mixing up with brother ali. he was with rhymesayers and collaborated with aesop rock a bunch of times. he passed away in 2010. his album the many faces of oliver hart was super good.

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 1, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seems like fantastic damage is not on Apple...

I don't think a lot of his old stuff is on Apple Music , maybe only his most recent album

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah ok well snagged cure and vein.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ah ok well snagged cure and vein.

Definitely post your thoughts on Cold Vein. Interested to see how you like it listening to it for the first time.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ol yeller posted:

Guy I don't like listens to old music in his car (loving moron), constantly talks like hes retarded in public with air quotes (everyone laughs at him), probably shits in his pants. Duuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
If you insist that we must talk like we post, that would make you very stupid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

baram. posted:

the cold vein is one of the best produced rap albums of all time.

brother ali's shadows on the sun is a top album too. dude can flow too, he has one of my favorite appearances of 5 fingers of death:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XAu1WVtD1Xc

eyedea is probably the guy you're mixing up with brother ali. he was with rhymesayers and collaborated with aesop rock a bunch of times. he passed away in 2010. his album the many faces of oliver hart was super good.

drat, I still remember that poo poo like it was yesterday too. I first caught Eyedea on some rap battle thing on HBO or something. Dude was awesome and ended up winning the whole drat thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qMbzfF31k

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've been listening to The Easy Truth a lot lately and it's led me down a Skyzoo rabbit hole. I remember listening to some poo poo here & there, but drat I slept on most his stuff.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think a lot of his old stuff is on Apple Music , maybe only his most recent album

Google Music doesn't have it either.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I used to be a huge Def Jux fan when I was in high school. CanOx cold vein, Aesop Rock float and labor days, and then Fantastic Damage. Before that I liked Cage, Necro, Sage Francis, Doseone, Clouddead, and even Sole. I made an old Aesop Rock mix tape called Halo Kibbles that became pretty popular.

Also, Buck65 is my Canadian homie. Like him more as a DJ tho...

highme
May 25, 2001

Housh posted:

I used to be a huge Def Jux fan when I was in high school. CanOx cold vein, Aesop Rock float and labor days, and then Fantastic Damage. Before that I liked Cage, Necro, Sage Francis, Doseone, Clouddead, and even Sole. I made an old Aesop Rock mix tape called Halo Kibbles that became pretty popular.

I just looked up Halo Kibbles on my Google Music library & it appears to have been a casualty of some over enthusiastic Tag & Rename poo poo at one point in my past, so I can't answer this question myself. Does it have Thank You on it? Nevermind, I clicked on the track named "Hak You" and that's it. I was supposed to see him with Atmosphere and Eyedea & Abilities in Septemberish 2001, but he had already left the tour because of his breakdown. He's one of the few emcees that on my "must see" list that I haven't seen live yet, gonna finally fix that on the 20th.

And for some cringeworthy Sole/El-P stuff, I dug up Linda Tripp a few months ago. That has not aged well.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 1, 2016

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
TI - What You Know About That got me into rap

Ayyyyy

ayyyy

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. Thank you was the last track I put on it. It's funny I made that mix for NMD long ago and it spread like crazy. People thought it was a tour promo or something.

I'm not even sure if I have a copy of that mix. Probably in an old CD binder in the basement.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Lif was dope too, I couldn't stop listening to Emergency Rations when I was in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYBX5VLj_E

highme
May 25, 2001

Housh posted:

Yeah. Thank you was the last track I put on it. It's funny I made that mix for NMD long ago and it spread like crazy. People thought it was a tour promo or something.

I'm not even sure if I have a copy of that mix. Probably in an old CD binder in the basement.

Was that before or after NMP3s was killed? I imagine I grabbed it from here way back then, but couldn't say for sure one way or another. If you want an easy copy, I'm sure I can grab the files from Google.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ruddiger posted:

drat, I still remember that poo poo like it was yesterday too. I first caught Eyedea on some rap battle thing on HBO or something. Dude was awesome and ended up winning the whole drat thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qMbzfF31k

for real, dude was on some other poo poo when it came to freestyling.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Was that before or after NMP3s was killed?
Before. You probably snagged it off my FTP.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
gently caress Run the Jewels, I just want RAP Music 2 already

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Real Name Grover posted:

Last solo one (Cancer 4 Cure) had some good poo poo on it

I dunno, he's like 4'9"

I shot an interview with him and he freaked out because when he was sitting in the chair we had for him his feet couldn't touch the ground. Had to source a new chair.

And he was a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone. gently caress Bruno

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

are you talking about bruno mars or el-p i dont get it. who is the short rear end in a top hat.

also im in the camp of people who werent psyched about rtj3 but legend has it is a banger and changed my mind

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 1, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New Lucki for yo' rear end.

http://fakeshoredrive.com/2016/12/listen-to-luckis-self-destruct-produced-by-mulatto-beats.html/

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
KODAK IS OUT

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/01/kodak-black-released-from-jail/

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

drat if only all the posts in this thread could be like these

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

TI - What You Know About That got me into rap

Ayyyyy

ayyyy

my first favorite rap song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n48RyNTHyz0

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hm-OGuStps

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wooo lil kodak posted bail i hope he can stay outta trouble the kid has too much potential

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

how is that boosie christmas album?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The best thing that ever happened to Bruno Mars' career was discovering Zapp and Roger Troutman

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W900MEGJ46U\

don't smoke rock

RIIIIIIIIIGGHHHTT

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i was just reflecting on the question of "has there been a consistently good producer to speak of over the past 2-3 years that tops metro boomin?" i'm thinking no

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

screaden posted:

The best thing that ever happened to Bruno Mars' career was discovering Morris Day

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
so which one is rae and which one is sremmurd

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wow that cannibal ox album is stupendous. Thanks for suggesting it can honestly say I never would have listened/known about it otherwise. Production made me smile the minute I put it on which reminded me how I felt when none shall pass came out. I know el didn't produce that just saying gave me the same feeling.

From indie thread:

Slandible posted:

I don't know where else it fits, but RTJ3 next month. Holy poo poo.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I know I know lol Childish Gambino, but I'm listening to this new album and yeah it's pretty much exactly like someone a page or two ago said, it's Donald Glover does Parliament-Funkadelic for the most part. The 2nd and 3rd songs on the album sound like they were pretty much lifted straight from George Clinton in 1971.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
not quite done with it yet but I think this record is my favorite thing Childish Gambino has done? I mean it's not really innovative in any way, but there are definitely songs on this that work super well ("Terrified") to a degree I did not see coming. the only criticism I have is like... it doesn't seem like he's earned a pivot like this, but gently caress, if this is his music it's his music, even if it came out of nowhere

(fwiw my favorite previous Childish Gambino work is this hilarious remix that takes one of his corniest songs and cranks it to 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLa9hFaG8h0, and also 3005 since that was a guilty pleasure for a long time)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 2, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
gently caress J Cole

https://twitter.com/nathangawd/status/804574441917317125

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i really dont like jcole but hes wrong about none of it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think J Cole has a leg to stand on with Kanye when his entire career has been about trying and failing to recreate The College Dropout