Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yep! Her name is Vetra

Brb writing my fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So does that ex-Alliance the PC speaks to look and sound like a 10 year-old to anyone else?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
High fidelity clay face simulation, to truly make you think that humans were replaced with some sort of Claymation Golems. Also what the gently caress is it with Bioware and making poo poo about your family? This won't involve a few other Ryder kids/ your mom dying during the first mission, will it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't remember the last time I saw so many people imagining a game and then hating it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Dick Ryder lives to honor the memory of his brother Willy who died in stasis.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crabtree posted:

High fidelity clay face simulation, to truly make you think that humans were replaced with some sort of Claymation Golems. Also what the gently caress is it with Bioware and making poo poo about your family? This won't involve a few other Ryder kids/ your mom dying during the first mission, will it?

It's a simple and effective theme that resonates with many people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the crime boss lady lifts a leg to display her crotch to Ryder, to show her dominance. Typical for Milky Way people in this franchise who bones everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just pre-ordered MEA.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's a simple and effective theme that resonates with many people.

Yeah, but this feels really familiar to what they did in DA2. Soon Sibling character that doesn't show up until later/near the end of the game is going to be right up there on the Bioware must have list with gently caress nearly anyone in the party/you meet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, but this feels really familiar to what they did in DA2. Soon Sibling character that doesn't show up until later/near the end of the game is going to be right up there on the Bioware must have list with gently caress nearly anyone in the party/you meet.

I never played DA2 so I guess i'm not seeing it.

But character having a family doesn't seem super derivative from the outset.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The twist is going to be that you gently caress your sibling.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I think they've already confirmed that the Ryder you don't play as will still be in the game, but something happens in the opening that prevents them from joining the away team without killing them off. So they'll be chilling on the ship or whatever and you can have chill sibling times.

Waltzing Along posted:

The twist is going to be that you gently caress your sibling.

Or this I guess.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I bet they get paralyzed from the waist down and drive the ship which lets bioware make use of Jokers animation rig

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

midwat posted:

Also, the faces looked weird for a reason I can't quite describe.

They look weird because they're badly animated, which stands out further now that the faces are more realistic. I only saw bits of the new gameplay trailer but when the player character pulls the gun from the henchman it was just real bad. Completely dead eyes and stoic expression while the VA is all passionate and stuff. It's pretty clear dissonance

Still, this could still be improved for release but probably not unless they delay the game

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I bet they get paralyzed from the waist down and drive the ship which lets bioware make use of Jokers animation rig

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I think they already announced the pilot being a salarian. They'll probably wind up being your assistant like chambers or traynor. Though that made me think about whether they'll bother editing dadRyder and siblingRyder based on how you make your Ryder look, since the defaults will probably look weird if you give your Ryder crazy dark skin or something.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I never played DA2 so I guess i'm not seeing it.

But character having a family doesn't seem super derivative from the outset.

Nah it just feels like another repeat of an old idea. Absolutely shocking in this, the RPG genre! I'm guessing the Dragon-esque giant monsters that you can kill for sick loot and chieves will be strangely adorable like they were in Inquisition too. poo poo, maybe the Thesher Maw will be this game's Fereldan Frostback.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zzulu posted:

They look weird because they're badly animated, which stands out further now that the faces are more realistic. I only saw bits of the new gameplay trailer but when the player character pulls the gun from the henchman it was just real bad. Completely dead eyes and stoic expression while the VA is all passionate and stuff. It's pretty clear dissonance

Still, this could still be improved for release but probably not unless they delay the game

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

http://i.imgur.com/RtyVvpV.gifv

edit: :hfive:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I did like the combat though, it looked fun. The jetpack seems like it'll add a ton of mobility

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No mention of a mom so far, but I guarantee Dad is going to die in the first act/tutorial mission so you can inherit his title. We already know that the sibling you don't play is going to have an "accident" that leaves them unable to go on missions, but they won't die.

Yeah this looks loving weird. The eyes are completely dead. Maybe a simple fix would have been to change the camera angle so it hid the eyes and seemed more dramatic. A swoop around the turian's back during the gun grab for some ol' sleight of hand film trickery.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Makes you wonder if this is just their generic face they took from the model/voice actor. If even that looks like the head isn't attached to the body as it moves in some action, maybe it'll be better to just play with the face hiding bubble helmet?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I don't understand how BW consistently ignores facial animations and leaves them looking so weird. I get it's hard and expensive but if they are gonna focus on cutscenes at least spend some time on eye focus and brow movement and poo poo

if the eyes at least moved in the direction of the gun and the brow ridge compressed a bit to give a brief sense of the character thinking and acting on the gun it would go a long way towards making that scene not look awkward as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zzulu posted:

It reminds me of L.A Noire, how freakishly the high quality facial animations clashed with the barebones body animation rigging.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No kidding. I'm not expecting them to do a CD Projekt Red and make eye and eyebrow movements so nuanced I can read Geralt's mind, but there has to be something there. From the nose up that is plainly a puppet.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

marshmallow creep posted:

No kidding. I'm not expecting them to do a CD Projekt Red and make eye and eyebrow movements so nuanced I can read Geralt's mind, but there has to be something there. From the nose up that is plainly a puppet.

Actually you should expect this

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was just laughing at how bad the animations looked and how bad and cheesy and extremely Bioware all the dialog was until it got to the combat.

Then I remembered Mass Effect has Vanguards in it.

Now I don't know what the gently caress to think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually you should expect this

Look at this. And then go look at bobblehead Ryder.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's this from?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zzulu posted:

What's this from?

Preview for Mass Effect 2. There was also one for Thane that made him look like a fishman.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Was that a female turian Ryder was palling with at the start of the video?

Yes, and she, of course, also has a fancy tech visor over her eye.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yeah this looks loving weird. The eyes are completely dead. Maybe a simple fix would have been to change the camera angle so it hid the eyes and seemed more dramatic. A swoop around the turian's back during the gun grab for some ol' sleight of hand film trickery.

forget the face, what the hell is going on with that 'disarm' animation?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So is it supposed to be some number of years after Ryder and the Andromeda Project arrive? Is that why stuff is already colonized?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, and she, of course, also has a fancy tech visor over her eye.

Do you have something against fancy tech visors?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

It's real bad. That whole scene was real bad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you have something against fancy tech visors?

Not really, but it's pretty cheap. Remember Garrus? Look, your new NPC has a similar eye thing!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

AriadneThread posted:

That's the good ol bioware trick of leaving the camera above elbow level to hide they couldn't animate it and just switching gun_asset to ryder. Hyped after that trailer tho the shooting and powers look fun. If everyone calls you Herald I mean Pathfinder that would suck tho.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Not really, but it's pretty cheap. Remember Garrus? Look, your new NPC has a similar eye thing!

I have no interest in squad members who aren't looking through a HUD at all times

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

It probably makes a difference that you can customize Ryder's face but not Geralt's. It does look rough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think Hale also sold the renegade badass much better.