Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Two games I'm keeping my eyes on recently are Hands in the Sea and An Infamous Traffic. Any word on whether these are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Well yeah I got a pack of allied minors dice when I bought Doomed Battalions from him BUT STILL

Its guaranteed money :shrug:

Now, the guy gushing over getting all the SS dice? :yikes:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its guaranteed money :shrug:

Now, the guy gushing over getting all the SS dice? :yikes:

IIRC that's the dude that started/runs a website called feldgrau. (No, not linking directly.)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1. why is fascism, specifically nazism, so god drat persistent

2. why are they so pervasive amongst wargamers/mini wargamers

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Quality graphic design. Also, a lot of people love white supremacy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

1. Because nothing ever truly dies. Also something something perception of "cool"

2. Because nazis had some cool weapons and its a slippery slope of iconography and opinions :shrug:

I dunno, I just collect cool things, some of which have nazi manufacturing stamps on them. And I want to win the lottery so I can buy my own Panther.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phi230 posted:

Hugo Boss uniforms

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1. Because nothing ever truly dies. Also something something perception of "cool"

2. Because nazis had some cool weapons and its a slippery slope of iconography and opinions :shrug:

I dunno, I just collect cool things, some of which have nazi manufacturing stamps on them. And I want to win the lottery so I can buy my own Panther.

i would rather buy soviet equipment because its actually affordable and reliable

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Phi230 posted:

1. Because it's easier to blame someone else for your fuckups.
2. Because a lot of wargamers (present company excluded) are nazis who want to rewrite history so that THEY win.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Lot of good answers here. I'd add in that (anecdotal evidence) a lot of the hobby is old white guys who grew up in the Cold War when a) Soviets were the worst thing ever and b) a lot of the available ostfront histories were self-serving memoirs from Germans pushing the "just simple soldiers" BS. Throw-in some nationalism and you get a pretty ugly stew of viewpoints.

Also Hugo Boss fashion.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

i would rather buy soviet equipment because its actually affordable and reliable

What unreliable about a Luger or a K98k? :confused:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
on that note what are good ways to flatten my MBT maps and wargame maps in general?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Phi230 posted:

on that note what are good ways to flatten my MBT maps and wargame maps in general?

Plexiglass

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
cheap for people who only own those long foldable plastic tables

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Get a poster frame from a craft store with one of those weekly 40% off coupons.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

Get a poster frame from a craft store with one of those weekly 40% off coupons.

are there any frames even big enough for most wargame maps?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

are there any frames even big enough for most wargame maps?

24x36 is big enough for single map gmt games, I think. I can fit a combat commander map plus the track display in mine with room to spare. I can check later with a full fighting formations map.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

cenotaph posted:

24x36 is big enough for single map gmt games, I think. I can fit a combat commander map plus the track display in mine with room to spare. I can check later with a full fighting formations map.

Yeah 24x36 is big enough for single map games from pretty much any publisher. I can tell you you will get really pissed off at the little bendy fuckers that hold the back on the frame really quickly though. Just get plexiglass, I got a 22x34 piece and an extra piece big enough to cover a few 8.5x11 player aids cut from a $27 piece of duraplex at lowes. Duraplex is slightly higher grade stuff so if you get the cheaper stuff it should be even less than that.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's really down to personal preference. I've never gotten pissed at the plastic things and having a bottom is good if one of my friends missed a sticky spot on their table. Target has a 24x36 for a whopping nine bucks right now if budget is an issue like it is for me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How much is a big errr sheet? Of plexiglass

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

How much is a big errr sheet? Of plexiglass

Amazon lists 24" x 36" plexiglass sheets between low-30s and high-50s. CAD

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I recommend finding a local workshop(or something) that does framing and asking them, I got a really cheap custom size plexiglass sheet that way.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anybody played Conquest of Paradise by GMT?

It sounds kinda neat.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

Has anybody played Conquest of Paradise by GMT?

It sounds kinda neat.

I was tempted because it's a 4X in an unusual setting, but the reviews I've read indicate that your decisions are almost entirely driven by the luck of the draw as you reveal sea tiles.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Amazon lists 24" x 36" plexiglass sheets between low-30s and high-50s. CAD

Could you link those? All the ones I found on amazon are 80+

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

Could you link those? All the ones I found on amazon are 80+

https://www.amazon.ca/Sheets-24x36-...lexiglass+24x36

All the others have like... 40$ shipping apparently.

For one 24" x 36" thing of plexiglass. :psyduck:

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Plexiglass-Plastic-Sheet-24/dp/B00C13ZSBA

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 2, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CaptainRightful posted:

I was tempted because it's a 4X in an unusual setting, but the reviews I've read indicate that your decisions are almost entirely driven by the luck of the draw as you reveal sea tiles.

Doesn't sound to neat anymore :-(

I have to look into it more but thanks for the heads up

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Less than $16

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Speaking of shipping charges - GMT billed me for my P500 Comancheria and included $19 for shipping! According to the matrix on their site, that means the game is 7-8 lbs.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks Jobbo I ordered a big ol sheet for cheap.

Also ACW came in the mail, very happy with this 10 pound monster. Can't wait to set this poo poo up and burn the south down in 1862.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think I'm gonna get CC:Med in the sale but probably not anything else (maybe some trays?) Is there like a masterlist of what they currently have in stock on GMT do you just have to stumble through their categories?

One of my gaming buddies wants to play Triumph and Tragedy so that's happening soon -- someone in here had experience with it, right?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's a button on the side for "in stock games."

E: edited to be less of an rear end in a top hat.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
You can pick up some high grade particle board and plexi from Lowes for about $40. They'll cut the wood down to the size of the Plexi for free. Mine was something in the neighborhood of 40x30, which is fine since most board games are 34x22. Grab a drill and 4 bolts of the same size as your bit, 4 washers and 4 wingnuts and you've got yourself a mount. You can stick some rubbery grippy stuff in there for cheap too if you want.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
I already have a 3ft x 4ft sheet of plexi that fits my gaming table top, but with the recent talk of the poster frames I thought I'd try it out.
$15AU each at my local KMart.

Normandy 44

Triumph and Tragedy

This is art! Just need one twice the size to mount my Unconditional Surrender board next.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Triumph and Tragedy is awesome and the political cards are what make it great. I have the most fun pre war making and breaking the minor nation takeovers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So apparently, Wing Leaders: Supremacy will ship next week, and work has begun on the first "Expansion" that will introduce campaigns.

I'll see about doing a scenario or two once I get Supremacy in the mail.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
After nearly a year of waffling, I finally broke down and ordered Cuba Libre, my first COIN today :kheldragar:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Did the LP sway you?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A local shop sale tempted me into Phantom Leader though I'm not sure how often I'd play it over Thunderbolt-Apache.

They also had VPG's Mound Builders and Zulus on the Ramparts - would you say States of Siege is "played one, played them all" or are either of those particularly good? For reference, I own and enjoyed Cruel Necessity but it doesn't call me up or invade my dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

I think I'm gonna get CC:Med in the sale but probably not anything else (maybe some trays?) Is there like a masterlist of what they currently have in stock on GMT do you just have to stumble through their categories?

One of my gaming buddies wants to play Triumph and Tragedy so that's happening soon -- someone in here had experience with it, right?

Do yourself a favor and grab the Stalingrad battlepack when you order Med. It's the pinnacle of the system, at least in my opinion. I love the dirty, close-in fighting. The campaign seems to be winner snowball bullshit from what I've read, though.