Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sperglord Actual posted:

Now that IJN DDs have gotten a range nerf, do I want to remove torpedo acceleration from my high-point captain? 8km torps don't give me a lot of room to work with.

The 8km torps go 76 knots. Even if they see them leave the tubes, they might not have time to dodge. The extra 5 knots from TA is totally unnecessary, and you basically lose the ability to stealth torp (you can with concealment expert but you have like a .3km buffer with the Shima)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Vengarr posted:

The 8km torps go 76 knots. Even if they see them leave the tubes, they might not have time to dodge. The extra 5 knots from TA is totally unnecessary, and you basically lose the ability to stealth torp (you can with concealment expert but you have like a .3km buffer with the Shima)

They mean that torpedo acceleration cuts their torpedo range down to 8km, not the F3 torpedoes. Those would drop to 6.4.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It's not like WoWs has a reputation for having premiums that are better than their tech tree equivalent (such as the Atago, Saipan, etc).

Not that I necessarily disagree, but those aren't exactly great examples as neither actually does have a tech tree equivalent. Atago is a Takao-class heavy cruiser - and that supposedly IS still in the cards for part of an IJN cruiser branching line, and Saipan is a Saipan-class light carrier. And historically, despite the Takao-class being built before the Mogami-class, Takao-class was still very arguably the better design.

Better example is the goddamn Murmansk, which is an Omaha-class that magically has far better weapons of all sorts, despite them supposedly being the exact same guns and torpedoes. Or the Lo Yang, which is literally the USS Benson but has Hydro - and I suppose a removed gun, so at least there is a drawback there.

Of course, you also have the Tirpitz which, torpedoes or no, is significantly inferior to the Bismarck, with less AA, a somewhat more situational bonus feature (torpedoes vs. secondaries), and completely lacking the second bonus Bismarck gets - Hydro.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Lo Yang isn't plain superior to Benson, its a sidegrade. The torps are inferior, the guns are inferior against Benson B, but its got Hydro and a better Defensive Fire if you opt for it. Its a well done premium, unique, quirky, but not blatantly OP.

And then you have the Imperator Nikolai.

Anyways, tales from T6 town: The Hatsuharu, while I suspect inferior to the Fubuki, still owns. I'd thought I'd never say those words unironically, ever.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What a bizarre session this morning. Every single game was one-sided.

I'm starting to realise that winning can be bereft of fun.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Welp. If you do the new and final ARP mission and you already have the ARP ships, you will get new ten-point captains for those ships... But the old captains will be moved to the reserve, where they take up slots and cannot be dismissed. :downsbravo:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Not exactly the weirdest thing, but this was very amusing to see MM throw together.

The other CV tried to sneak a torp / fighter combo over a hill I was behind, and defensive AA tore them up in about 1 second. Both of them just kind of drove around the map yelling about how dangerous they were.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm honestly amazed it managed to find a second group of complete morons divisioning a T4 CV with something higher within 5 minutes, rather than simply dragging in some poor unfortunate that MM happened to hate at the moment.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's not match making that's a lot of fail platooning.

Edit: ^^ that is a very good point

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sperglord Actual posted:

Welp. If you do the new and final ARP mission and you already have the ARP ships, you will get new ten-point captains for those ships... But the old captains will be moved to the reserve, where they take up slots and cannot be dismissed. :downsbravo:

And they said you wouldn't get anything extra for doing the arps twice! Nice man nice

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Sperglord Actual posted:

Im pretty certain they come with reserve slot.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You do get port slots if you already have the ship(s).

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Lady Morgaga posted:

Im pretty certain they come with reserve slot.

The first two sure didn't. I filled up my reserve with disposable commanders, we'll see what happens.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So...the point of the IJN DD split was to crush what little desire I had to keep playing IJN DDs?

If so, then success!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think most torpedo-aligned players will find Shiratsuyu to their liking, honestly. Still, I think USN and VMF are better all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulygRebwooQ

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I can confirm that the Missouri has radar. No where near any enemy cruiser, and the missouri pops radar. I had him dead to rights.

I wish they'd publish this cunty ship in the notes. BTW EVERYONE WE'RE TESTING A BATTLESHIP WITH RADAR. loving bitches.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

I can confirm that the Missouri has radar. No where near any enemy cruiser, and the missouri pops radar. I had him dead to rights.

I wish they'd publish this cunty ship in the notes. BTW EVERYONE WE'RE TESTING A BATTLESHIP WITH RADAR. loving bitches.

Well we discussed it here so I guess you should have read the somethingawful.com patch notes. :smug:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I don't think a BB should have Radar, and I'm not thrilled on them having Hydro all that much either.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

:same:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
As awful as a bad run of teammates can be, sometimes you get nights like tonight where its the other team that is always full of derps and you end up having an 8-1 run.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeC posted:

As awful as a bad run of teammates can be, sometimes you get nights like tonight where its the other team that is always full of derps and you end up having an 8-1 run.

Wins where you get 500 base XP because the enemy team decided to line up like ducks at a shooting gallery on the other side of the map are pretty close to the worst.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Welp I just got the ARP Hiei and Kongo. I'm morbidly curious to try them out just to see how anime they are (and because I'd like a little novelty after playing way too many games in the Fiji), but unfortunately I don't know the first thing about how to play BBs.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh. Between the free port slots from the IJN split, and a 20mil credit supercontainer, looks like I'll be getting an Iowa after all

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Soup Inspector posted:

...unfortunately I don't know the first thing about how to play BBs.

Pretty much the only thing you need to know about playing BBs is:
1. Never show your broadside for long while spotted.
2. If you find yourself sailing in a single direction for longer than 30 seconds without subconsciously making even small course corrections and changes in speed as to potentially throw off a max range torpedo solution, you're doing it wrong.
3. Actively try to miss - you'll probably get more citadels that way.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 2, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Given the chance you are obligated to ram the last enemy BB regardless of the consequences.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Soup Inspector posted:

Welp I just got the ARP Hiei and Kongo. I'm morbidly curious to try them out just to see how anime they are (and because I'd like a little novelty after playing way too many games in the Fiji), but unfortunately I don't know the first thing about how to play BBs.

Well if you want to be a bad pubbie sit broadside to enemy BBs at max range =V

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty much the only thing you need to know about playing BBs is:
1. Never show your broadside for long while spotted.
2. If you find yourself sailing in a single direction for longer than 30 seconds without subconsciously making even small course corrections and changes in speed as to potentially throw off a max range torpedo solution, you're doing it wrong.
3. Actively try to miss - you'll probably get more citadels that way.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Given the chance you are obligated to ram the last enemy BB regardless of the consequences.

Thanks! I think I'll like this little holiday from RN cruisers. :getin:

wjs5 posted:

Well if you want to be a bad pubbie sit broadside to enemy BBs at max range =V

Fortunately, I have seen enough shitters in BBs doing that to make me reflexively wish I could knee them in the balls, so there's no risk of that happening. Outside of the RN cruisers (since they're so drat squishy) my default tactic is to go balls deep as early as possible. I will make Beatty proud (by vomiting shells everywhere and then exploding 3 minutes into the match due to a magazine detonation)!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

wdarkk posted:

Wins where you get 500 base XP because the enemy team decided to line up like ducks at a shooting gallery on the other side of the map are pretty close to the worst.

:agreed: I'd also much rather have a well-played loss than a poorly-played win. But speaking of losses, I've been having a horrible losing streak and poo poo playing streak the past few days. Now, granted some of it has to do with playing weaker ships a bit more consistently the past few days like the Hatsuharu and the Pensacola. I also take back my scorn on the new DD split line. A fully upgraded Hatsu isn't a bad boat. It's not a super-strong one, but it's not bad either. Sock is complete garbage, full upgrade isn't terrible.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
One little tweak I'd like them to make to Hydro--instead of spotting torps from downtown, it should give you a general warning that torps are coming from that direction without revealing their exact locations. That would make torpedobeating a little more complicated.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Soup Inspector posted:

The Kongos like to fight at the 10-15km range you can get close of course but watch for cruiser's and destroyers because they can really gently caress you up if they get along side you.

Also don't be afraid to only fire 2 turrets at someone if you aren't confident you can unmask the second pair without getting citadeled.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

People love the Belfast for its anti DD but it shreds light crusiers as well and light cruisers don't seem to know it so far. I'm having loads of games recently with cruisers going full broadside firing HE at me and eating a citadel full of AP in return.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

Also don't be afraid to only fire 2 turrets at someone if you aren't confident you can unmask the second pair without getting citadeled.

This. If you're taking a lot of fire from other BBs, it's usually better to stay angled and fire with your forward turrets so that you can keep shooting and not die in 2 volleys. The main job of BBs is to tank damage that would otherwise be dealt to your squishier teammates. Actually dealing damage is secondary to that.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aramoro posted:

People love the Belfast for its anti DD but it shreds light crusiers as well and light cruisers don't seem to know it so far. I'm having loads of games recently with cruisers going full broadside firing HE at me and eating a citadel full of AP in return.

On the flipside I keep lol'ing in the Cleveland fighting them angled and watching poo poo bounce off me as I Cit them.

Edit: I just got radar'ed by one in the Farragut cause I'm real dumb. So that's what I get :(

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2016

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

El Disco posted:

This. If you're taking a lot of fire from other BBs, it's usually better to stay angled and fire with your forward turrets so that you can keep shooting and not die in 2 volleys. The main job of BBs is to tank damage that would otherwise be dealt to your squishier teammates. Actually dealing damage is secondary to that.

This makes me feel better about my performance so far since it feels like I can't hit poo poo. Admittedly this is partially down to BB gun dispersion, but I think the main reason for it is that I'm 1) used to cruiser ballistic arcs and 2) I'm also used to cruiser ROF, so I'm okay with taking less than dead certain shots because I know I can fire again in a few seconds! ...And then I remember I'm in a BB and every missed salvo is like 30 seconds of helplessness because my aim is worse than a stormtrooper's. :saddowns:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

On the flipside I keep lol'ing in the Cleveland fighting them angled and watching poo poo bounce off me as I Cit them.

Edit: I just got radar'ed by one in the Farragut cause I'm real dumb. So that's what I get :(

Yeah the Belfast is really easy to counter as it basically has no armour. But a broadside on dpm war is not it generally.

In other news i was quite liking the Furutaka but now I've got it fully upgraded i love it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

Yea, I've a lot of people give me a tasty broadside while I'm in my Belfast/Fiji/Leander and provided its not an Atago, they'll lose that fight. Right up until they angle and things that aren't the Belfast suddenly do 1/4 the damage, while the Belfast switches to vomiting HE.

I do noticeable worse in my Belfast compared to the Leander and Fiji though, I think not having torps on it gives an incentive to people to charge into its smoke, knowing that they aren't going to eat 3-4 torps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just got a survey asking me how I feel about the Missouri deal, I think they're having second thoughts

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Not sure how accurate it is but someone on the main WoWS forum posted this: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/02/wows-tap-insider-news/

If that's accurate and it's 750k FXP, that's not even close to being a linear increase on the tiers like the Warspite-Scharn-Tirpitz prices go. I don't have much of a problem earning credits as it is, sooooo it's looking pretty difficult for me to justify paying for enough doubloons to convert that much. Would rather convert enough to unlock through the FDG and GKF instead.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Was on the opposite side of the battle from me, so I couldn't see what was going on, but just got out of a battle with 2 Missouris* divisioned together on the other team. We won - rather quickly at that - but that's the kind of stuff that I'm saying is going to completely gently caress high tier IJN destroyers. Multiple non-squishy radar-carrying ships travelling together is basically making a huge anti-DD area, and note that it only really applies to IJN destroyers, since high tier Russian and US destroyers have no need to get within 10 km to seriously attack them, that lasts for a huge chunk of the battle. Paired with even just a single a Baltimore or Chapayev you can stagger their usage too to cover something like 1-2 minutes at a time with no coverage gaps, or longer if you don't immediately start the next one up - leaving not all that much of a gap when all 3 will been on cooldown - along with being able to have the cruiser kill or seriously any destroyers that pop up during that time.

Before it's brought up, triple divisions of radar-carrying Cruisers cannot get away with that to anywhere near the same extent since a triple division of cruisers both tends to use up most/all cruiser slots for the team, along with being extremely vulnerable to enemy battleships.

Maybe if radar didn't go through goddamn terrain I'd be less hostile to this poo poo, but as is that's basically a 20 km diameter area destroyers cannot enter for significant portions of the game with no counter which, even aside from other concerns, is plenty to completely force them out of a cap - something that destroyers are expected and supposed to do.

*=They were also #1 and 3 on their team with not incredibly impressive scores themselves, so the issue was probably more the rest of the team was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I got a 100k free xp super container this week, and I still don't have enough convertible xp to add to it to get anywhere near 750k